Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Fall and Winter Gardening: First frost date? Pshaw!

Communities > Forums > Article: Fall and Winter Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fall and Winter GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #7214616

I say that tongue in cheek, but I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered I could continue picking lettuces and other Winter veggies well past the frost date. Lettuce has a chemical that prevents frost damage and it recovers nicely from being frozen. I discovered one morning, snapping off a couple frozen leaves for that day's sandwich, that it is best not to pick lettuce leaves when frozen as they will be quite wilty. If you wait until they are thawed they will be crisp and delicious.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 27, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #7214765

And they come back fast during an Indian summer too! I now have had two lettuce patches this fall. One patch gave out after weeks of supplying us lettuce, and I had to plant another one. Not yet big enough to pick yet, but I dare say I will have lots of lettuce in two more weeks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fall and Winter Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Timely information! melody 4 Sep 28, 2007 10:10 PM
help Podgie 7 Oct 29, 2009 2:00 AM
Veggies and Flowers in the Winter? gloriag 0 Sep 30, 2007 4:01 AM
Great information... Sharran 4 Oct 27, 2009 4:37 PM
New Eliot Coleman Book is Out gloria125 2 Oct 27, 2009 8:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America