Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I received this passiflora through a reputable mail order business. It was supposed to be Coral Glow. However, it obviously isn't CG and I had thought it to be Jeannette. Problem is that I read someplace that Jeannette doesn't produce fruit and this one does. Can you help me with this post?

Thumbnail by Brugie
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

It looks exactly like my Jeanette, I have a picture in the database. Is it totally sterile? I'm not certain myself, I don't have fruit on mine, but I haven't hand pollinated anything except brugs.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I don't do anything with it. So far have not found seed.

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

It looks like Jeanette to me. I had thought that Incense was sterile, too, but it will occassionally produce fruit, if there's a P. incarnata handy. Maybe Jeanette is only self-sterile, and you're had some far-flying insects? You say you haven't found any seeds---have you let the fruit get fully ripe before you opened it? Passion fruits are usually FULL of seeds.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I let it get totally orange and kind of shriveled up before opening and they are always empty. Some of my P. Caerulea are the same way. I don't try to pollinate any of them. I have had seed from Caerulea, but not much luck growing it. I think I read a post from someone that leaving the gel around the seeds helps. That right?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

yes brugie it does. Now I'm really hoping that my capsularis pods have seeds. I had fruit on my passifloras, but when it fell off, I found that a silverfish had eaten almost all the seeds. Fortunately this isn't anywhere near my others. I don't see any bug holes on these, and I have four, so I will sit here with my fingers crossed until they ripen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.