Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Help me ID this passiflora please....

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2001
1:13 AM

Post #14309

I received this passiflora through a reputable mail order business. It was supposed to be Coral Glow. However, it obviously isn't CG and I had thought it to be Jeannette. Problem is that I read someplace that Jeannette doesn't produce fruit and this one does. Can you help me with this post?

Thumbnail by Brugie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2001
2:06 AM

Post #133868

It looks exactly like my Jeanette, I have a picture in the database. Is it totally sterile? I'm not certain myself, I don't have fruit on mine, but I haven't hand pollinated anything except brugs.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2001
2:24 AM

Post #133878

I don't do anything with it. So far have not found seed.
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2001
4:53 AM

Post #133964

It looks like Jeanette to me. I had thought that Incense was sterile, too, but it will occassionally produce fruit, if there's a P. incarnata handy. Maybe Jeanette is only self-sterile, and you're had some far-flying insects? You say you haven't found any seeds---have you let the fruit get fully ripe before you opened it? Passion fruits are usually FULL of seeds.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2001
6:52 PM

Post #134263

I let it get totally orange and kind of shriveled up before opening and they are always empty. Some of my P. Caerulea are the same way. I don't try to pollinate any of them. I have had seed from Caerulea, but not much luck growing it. I think I read a post from someone that leaving the gel around the seeds helps. That right?

tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2001
6:55 PM

Post #134266

yes brugie it does. Now I'm really hoping that my capsularis pods have seeds. I had fruit on my passifloras, but when it fell off, I found that a silverfish had eaten almost all the seeds. Fortunately this isn't anywhere near my others. I don't see any bug holes on these, and I have four, so I will sit here with my fingers crossed until they ripen.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America