AuthorContent

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #7215379

Hi All and wecome to this new thread. The other became too long for those with dial-up.

I hope all of you took plenty of photos of your babies over the summer. That way the rest of us can see new varieties. It is also interesting to see how Semps behave in different parts of the country. Love to see gardens planted with Semps.

If you are a Newbie and want to learn more about thes garden gems, here is where we came from:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/991248/

Please stick to the subject of Sempervivum and Jovibarbas. All are hardy garden plants.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2009 7:48 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #7215652

Wow, I'm the first one. : )
Here is a picture of my Cebanese with Pink Pearl
Lynn

Thumbnail by valleylynn

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #7217294

Hi Lynn My first visiter, welcome. That is quite a clump of Cebenese you have. I used to have it, then lost it. The smaller varieties seems to be harder to grow, the reason I don't order them anymore. All my chicks are planted in the garden.

Closeup of my long lost Cebenese at maturity. I do love the webbing.

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #7217316

Lynn, the Pink Pearl I had and lost. At least what was shipped with that name. However, I have one called Sir Wm. Lawrence that is so much like to Pink Pearl that I wonder which one I did lose. These were purchased from SM at the same time.

Below is Sir. Wm Lawrence.

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #7217322

Here it is as a single plant with the start of babies.

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #7217350

My Pink Pearl, as labeled by Sq. Mountain. Which is which, I wonder.

Thumbnail by blomma

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #7217362

That is a great close up of your Cebanese, sorry to hear you lost it. My Cebanese in the above picture is the only one that survived, I think because it is kind of high & dry and on a tipped angel. It has been there for several years. I have taken quite a few from it to give away. Love my Pink Pearl, it seems very hardy here inspite of our wet winters. I have it planted in many different locations under differing conditions.
I love your Sir Wm Lawrence. Looks to be pretty prolific. This is the first time I have made plantings in a raised bed (4' x 8'). I am going to have to put bird netting over it. The Blue Jays love to pull up the smaller ones and replace them with nuts. : ( Everyday I am out there resetting 4 or 5 of them. Thank heavens right now they are in multiplies and easy to tell apart.
Here is a picture of my newly planted raised bed. Not nearly as impressive as your wonderful bed. Maybe some day.
Lynn

Thumbnail by valleylynn

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #7217473

Blomma, here is a close up of my Pink Pearl taken today.

Thumbnail by valleylynn

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #7217478

Here is one with chicks.

Thumbnail by valleylynn

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7217484

Here is a NOID that I wish I knew the name of. : (

Thumbnail by valleylynn

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 29, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #7221686

Hi Lynn It sure looks alike to Sir Wm. My chicks are all under 3" of snow so can't take a recent photo, and ofcourse, our climate is different. Mine are all dormant now. Will post Sir. Wm taken April 15, 09 below, and two more---May and June.

As far as your NOID chick, I haven't a clue.

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 29, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #7221703

May 2, 09 Same plant

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 29, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #7221721

June 1, 09. Same plant minus the chick. Did your Pink Pearl go through the same changes?

Thumbnail by blomma

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #7221996

I can see where the confusion comes in. Here is a link to Pink Pearl, the center picture and far right picture are what mine look like at different times. I have never had them go real dark. Right now with the wet and cold it looks just like the center picture. http://www.semperhorst.de/Diehmor P/Diehmor P.htm
Your Sir William Lawrence looks just like the pictures on this sight in different seasons.
http://www.semperhorst.de/Diehmor S/Diehmor S.htm
Lynn
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #7241865

I consolidated my semps and sedums in planters in September to make room a new spider daylily garden. That area was about 12' X 10' and ended up having lots of unused space. So here's pot 1 of 3.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2013 8:40 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #7241869

pot 2 of 3

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #7241876

pot 3 of 3

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #7241962

Hi Fruit. Love your containers. What are the grey/green fat leafed ones in your bowls. Are they hardy in your zone? They are very interesting placed with the other colors & textures. Makes for a pretty scene
For me in the NW it seems the ones of mine that do best are in containers. I am trying a raised bed for the first time to see how they do. Here is the bowl from the old thread, I didn't realize the thread had moved (new to this). : )
I am starting some of them into old pieces of tree limbs and trunks. Will post pictures when I get them done.
Lynn

Thumbnail by valleylynn

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #7242171

When we had our first chance of frost about 2 weeks ago, I brought the pots in. If a plant came with a name tag, I tucked it just under the soil or around the rim as I transplanted. Several I don't know names but several of the ones I do are not hardy for me. I'm pretty sure that's "Ghost" Echeveria in pots 1 & 2, and "Van Reppel" in pot 3.

Yours is gorgeous! Do you know the name of the Sedum with Yellow blooms at 1 o'clock?
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7242376

Yes, it is Pacific Stonecrop Sedum 'Moonglow'. It is hardy for me and I think also for you. It is my favorite sedum. Here is another picture of it I took last month. It is growing on a concave rock. It has been there for about 5 years. I just keep taking starts from it as it grows out of bounds. : ) When it is through blooming I clip the spent flowers so it will stay compact. Love the Echeveria, wish they were hardy here. I have found some that are if sited right.
Lynn

Thumbnail by valleylynn

jrwbirds
Elberfeld, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #7242434

great looking pots - I like the sliver of rock - adds testure.

a GOOD friend gave me a 5 gal bucket of geodes, all sizes...am going to place them around in the gardens in the Spring.

Also, when we travel, I try to find a couple of rocks to put in the gardens...always brings back memories.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #7242513

This message was edited Jul 17, 2013 8:40 PM
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #7242554

I love to bring at least one special rock home when we go on trips or day time excersions. I have a great love of rocks, got it from my mom. : )
When we bought this house 10 years ago it came with a huge pile of rocks of every description. The family we bought if from were rock hounds.
jrwbirds
Elberfeld, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7242589

WOW - lucky you !! Have you been able to identify them??
My friend's parents were serious rock hounds - they have one geode that is bigger than a bushel basket !! Her mother literally dug it out of the side of a creek bed!! The story of how they got it to the truck is sooooo funny...involved getting the truck stuck in the field, breaking a rope, etc. They have been offered big bucks for that one...there is a whole double car garage full of geodes, both whole and split open, flat rocks for slicing, quartz, etc...I can spend hours there. They also have a room full full of semi-precious stones - some finished and some just dug from the ground. I've been drooling over a few for my bookshelves...who needs all those books anyhow ???

This message was edited Nov 4, 2009 7:55 PM
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7244183

You can go to the library or online to read books. : )
Some we have identified. We have one big piece of quartz with a vein of gold running through it, jasper, crystals, a piece of rock that has mexican opal in it. The above bowl has a piece of the quartz from the pile. Lots of both black & red obsidian. And much more. I love to use them in my succulent bowls and around the garden. Here is a picture of some of them. Here is another rock that I planted some semps on.

Thumbnail by valleylynn

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #7244200

Here is a succulent bed ringed with rocks from the pile.

Thumbnail by valleylynn

jrwbirds
Elberfeld, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #7244677

great use of the rocks - I really like planting semps in/on the rocks. I am looking forward to getting creative next Spring.

I do have a couple special rocks: 2 really nice pieces , 10 - 12", of petrified wood from the Nile River...a friend brought them back to me when she went to Egypt to visit relatives.
The super rock, sort of a rock, is a brick size piece of the Berlin Wall...a friend's son worked in the US Embassy and they were visiting at that time...they have pictures of their son breaking pieces off with a sledge hammer.

All of my friends know of my love of rocks so they almost always bring me a rock when they travel. I even have a rock from the top of Mt Kilamanjaro !!
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #7245892

What a small world. We have some pieces of the wall. Our son was in Berling when the wall went down and brought us pieces. Be sure to keep them safe, they have asbestos in them so don't handle them much.
Oh my gosh, Mt. Kilamanjaro, now that is a really special rock. Can you take a picture so we can see? That is so exciting.
Hey Fruit, don't forget the picture, we want to see it (both the semp & the rock). : )
This is one of my favorites, it makes me laugh. My mom gave it to me. It is going into my next succulent project.
Lynn

Thumbnail by valleylynn

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #7245913

This one grows like a weed here. It has wonderful water makings, sorry the picture doesn't show it. Will have to take another tomorrow.

Thumbnail by valleylynn

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #7251321

Lynn I love the rock, it really rocks, lol!
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7251689

Thanks Clemen. : ) It allway bring a smile to my face when I look at it.
I entered it in the photo contest under Garden Art and Weird, Funny, Misc.
Lynn
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #7260337

Lynn,

What is the sedum on the left with the white flowers in the picture around the tree? I just love that one.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #7260865

Hi Polly. It's Saxafraga 'London Pride'. It seems to do really well under the Juniper tree. : )
Lynn
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #7261435

Thanks Lynn. It's not listed as hardy north of Z7, but we're Z6, so I'm going to try it. I really like it. The flowers look almost like a heuchera.

Can you recommend a good place to buy saxafraga?
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #7261508

Polly, if you would like to wait until next Spring, I could send you some? Now is not a good time to move them. They wouldn't have time to get going good before bad weather. Let me know if you want to do that. : )
Lynn
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #7261530

You bet. I would be glad to trade. I sell beardless irises, and maybe I could interest you in a trade of Japanese or siberian iris? Thank you!
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #7261541

Sounds good. Trade with you in the Spring. Yippee!!!! : )
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #7261692

Yippee here too! I'll put it on my calendar for end of April? We lose snow first of April, then it warms up quickly.

Thank you!
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7262150

Thank you polly. I'd put it on my calendar, but I never check it. So it's good you are the one keeping track. That's what happens when a person gets older and retires. : )
Half the time I don't know what day of the week it is, except for Sunday. : )
Looking forward to April and our trade. Thank you.
Lynn
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8843938

Hi I'm Ang (or Tiki) and I'm a chickaholic. It started when my son brought me home two from school for Mothers Day and soon those two became 10. I'm shopping around for new ones and I'm drooling! Although thanks to this post I'm drooling more.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

September 24, 2012
1:44 AM

Post #9284543

Hi TikiWelcome to my forum. Had to laugh over your story on how you to to become a chickaholic also. That is all it takes. Semps (Sempervivums) are extremely addictive due to the many different cultivars. They are also extremely adorable. See my collection at top of this forum.

Hope you were able to purchase a few more since your last post. Mine are getting ready to go dormant for the winter.

OK GIRLS, WHERE THE HECK ARE ALL OF YOU CHICKAHOLICS.??

Lilly

PS Below are a few with colors in September.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9285241

Lilly, I ended up ordering some cuttings and receiving quite a few from a couple people. Ended up with more semps than I had room for. Many many, cuttings included, ended up blooming and dieing afterwords, so I lost a few. I've moved them out of my terracotta pots and into a plastic window box for winter. Most are babies of the dead. They have well draining soil and will be placed where the water won't drown them.

I also gave a few to my soon to be Sister in Law and her husband at their baby shower.

Thumbnail by tikipod

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

September 24, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9285447

Tiki glad that you received some chicks (they are not called cuttings). It does not surprise me that those hens that bloomed, died after. Semps only live about 3 years, blooms and die to leave space for their offsprings. A chick is a young hen at 1 year old, which is when they are mature enough to produce their own chicks. Hens have 2 years of productive years.

On top of this page is a link that will take you back to page 2. Page 2 has a link for page 1. The first 2 pages have a lot of information and photos regarding Semps. I encourage you to read up on them.

Semps require dormancy brought on by winter cold to produce their beautiful colors. Mine are outdoors all winter in my stock garden. I don't water them all winter long since they are dormant. During winter, some are green, other maroon. Come spring April in my zone, they begin to wake up and become the colorful gems they were bred for.

Below are seasonal photos of Lilac Time. It is the same 2 plants to show how they change.
1] May
2] June
3] September

Lilly

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma      

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9285505

Some online retailers call them cuttings rather than chicks. Not sure why. SMG is where I bought mine and they sent me a paper bag full. 40 cents a piece which is good for a variety. I ordered the ones for the baby shower from there. They all rooted just in time.

The reason I was surprised that some bloomed was because they were from that paper bag. Naturally I assumed I was getting babies, not blooming age hens. As you can see I still have a good amount.

Lilac Time is beautiful. I have one called Lavender & Lace, somewhere in that box. 2/3rds of mine arrived with labels but unfortunately my "helper" removed them lol.

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9299831

I am totally addicted to anything in the Semp. family and Dear Sweet Lynn is a great enabler. The pic. shows my first attempt at a "Chicken Pen".
Long story short, a new water hose drowned many of these. I have Semps. everywhere I can put them and will take everyone I can find.

Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu      

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9305999

I had no idea semps survive the winter outdoors. Learn something new every day. Gorgeous pictures.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 3, 2013
11:30 PM

Post #9438029

dahtzu,
Sorry, I haven't been on this forum for awhile.
Love your photos, especially the 2nd and absolutely the 3rd.

In 2 months---come May---mine will begin to color up. Can't wait!!!

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2013
9:27 PM

Post #9458710

Love this forum...I could be a chickaholic very easity. Only problem is I kill them so easily...I suspect i overwater them. HELP! Also, love cactus but don't have that trouble with them. Also, how much sun can H&C take? the sun is pretty intense here in Colorado at 4200'.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9458918

Just found this thread. :-)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9458921

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9459023

beautiful pics...Cville_Gardener. What is the red semp in the first pic? I would love to have a chick or two...willing to trade or sell?
Where do you keep your semps? I used to live in Memphis and know it gets plenty hot in Tennessee...Do you let narute water them or what? I have had some trouble getting a good start on semps and am looking for hints...
Thanks

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9459144

Thanks, ladyj. I want to say that's Red Ace but it may not be. I love the Semps but they get shifted around a lot since I grow most of mine in containers. Here it's best to give some of them a little afternoon shade during the summer. Others are fine without much protection. I just try to keep them draining well.

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9459186

Thank you, I will look for it..

I have a couple of cool rocks that I would like to plant Semps in the crevices but want to be sure they drain well. Any suggestions...I will probably do the majority in pots...yours are lovey. Love the strawberry jar with the Semps...Do you plant the Enchiverias as well? Not sure of the spelling.

The photo below is the one small Semp in a rock that is doing fairly well. Ignore the weeds :-)I haven't done anything special to it and it is on the west side of my house.
Wow, it worked...I am not most computer savy but the pic is visible.

Laters

Thumbnail by ladyj512

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9459210

Oh, I like that. I like them planted in the rocks. I am going to do more of that when I can. They should drain fine in rocks andI don't think you should have problems with that.

I used to have so many Echeverias out in CA, but here I have to have them indoors in the winter so I don't have nearly as many. I do have some though. Can't resist. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9459214

A few Echeverias in this shot.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9459215

Well, that isn't the photo I wanted. Better in this one.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9459476

Was going to ask what you use for pots but your pics answered that...very eclectic ...cool

do you know what the two red semps are? I love them.

I plan to find a great strawberry pot and try my hand at semps in it.

thanks

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 24, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9460227

TO ALL POSTERS ON THIS FORUM

Please read the first post in this forum. This forum is about Sempervivums and Jovibarbas as plants. It is not about rocks. There are many Sempervivum lovers on Daves, the reason I started this forum to show the many varieties other than the common green S. tectorum. Also their culture and description. The main subject is Sempervivum (hen and chicks). I have grown them since the 80's.

Photos of plants are welcomes with descriptions or whatever you want to write. Where it is planted can be mentioned in passing.

So please, stick to the subject for otherwise the main thrust of this forum will be lost.

Below is the same plant to show how change of colors occur on varieties during the season. This is one of my favorite. Grows 5" in diameter.

1] Zenobia in June, a young plant producing its first litter of chicks.
2] Zenobia as a mature speciment
3] Zenobia in August, mature
4] Zenobia in September, mature
5] Zenobia in May, mature

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9460402

Pretty.

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9460490

Sorry...I am new to the Forums and will be more careful and stick to the main topic.

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9460681

Blooma- is there a book you would reccomend for us beginners? I need info as to soils, watering, species, resources, etc. Thank you

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 24, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9460736

ladyJ512
I wish. As far as I know, there is no book about Sempervivums, (Semps for short). If there was, I would be the first in line. If by chance one came out recently try Amazon. There are just too many varieties.

In the first message on top of the page, there is a link where I started this forum. Along the was, there is plenty of information, especially in the first message. I think this is my 3rd page. Many have dialup connection and it takes too long to load so I start off at the begiining again. Another reason why this forum should stick to the subject.

Here is a short overview. Semps grow in regular garden soil. I don't recommend growing them in container since they can rot over winter or the container can crack. Also, these plants are at their best growing as nature intended.

They will grow in full sun or part (afternoon) shade, especially in the warmer climates. That also preserve their coloring much better.

Since your climate is similar to mine, watering only when there is a drought but never in the winter. They are dormant and need no water except what nature provide.

Species? There are hundreds of them. I have about 97 so far. They are hybrids from original species of Semps from the Old World. Would have purchased more except where I bought them changed hands and names are not true. Also, I have received Semps or chicks that were mature and died the following summer after blooming. That is natural. But I want the 2 years of producing chicks.

To explain. Semps live only 3 years. They bloom then die, leaving room for all the chicks. They produce no chicks the first year, they do the following year and the 3rd, Then they send up a blooming stalk 12" high which signify death is near. I have tried to keep it going by removing the stalk and also rooting it. It died anyway and the stalk rooted and bloomed.

During spring and summer, you can buy them from Ebay sellers. I also sell them in my store there starting in May. I also provide an article with a link in my listings regarding their culture, etc.

Go back throught the threads copy if you want and save to Word.

Here are a few 1-year old chicks with first babies

1] Andrenor
2] Apple Blossom
3]Casa
4] Silverine
5] Gay Jester

These should wet your appetite.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9461797

Yes, they are beautiful. Droooooool... I realize this thread is for accomplishments and successes but one has to get started first before successes are possible...thanks for the info..I have a question though...which would be the best spot to build a new Semp bed:_a. north end of yard on south side of fence _ b. west facing bed alongwest side of house. I have a few cacti in the west bed but either is an option. Thanks

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9463242

Lost the tag on these, but I think they were called 'royal ruby'.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9463250

That is cute Smashed. How long does it take for one semp to multiply like that.
Please send us any tips on sites for purchasing semps.
Are job------- larger? Sorry I don' t have the spelling.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9463252

Here is what they looked like in September.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9463267

Thanks, peg. I think I bought these last spring in a clump of about 6 at a local nursery. Maybe some one else my know of some sites.

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9463354

I just ordered some fro Edelweiss Perenials...anxious to get them. Only concern is they will be bare root...any secrets as to how to plant ?

Also, I had to go to my local Home Depot tonight and found some great Semps and Echeverias... Very reasonably priced Found a Golden sedum that makes a nice contrast and something called elephant bush or spekboom...we'll see

a. Portulaca afra or elephant bush "Spekboon"
b. Sedum adolphii Golden Sedum
c. upper left-E, Azulita
upper right- E. Perle von Nurnberg
lower-E. ninima
d. S. rubellum "Mahogany"

Not to bad for $20

small but look healthy...drier than the Sahara..since HD takes such "great care of the plants' not

Thumbnail by ladyj512   Thumbnail by ladyj512   Thumbnail by ladyj512   Thumbnail by ladyj512   

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9463431

ladyj512,
this thread isn't necessarily about accomplishment, which you lost me on. It is just a site about Semps i.e. the varieties, colors, where planted, how they do in your climate, etc. etc. AND questions are welcome. It is how we learn and we have to start somewhere. Now to your question.

I can't tell you where since there may be obstructons in the spots you mention. I found that Semp do well in full sun but if you can provide a bit of afternoon shade, so much the better. It isn't so much that the afternoon sun will hurt them, it more because I found that they retain their colors longer. Those in my photo waaay on top of this thread are my stock plants growing against my link fence that gets shade in the afternoon from shade fabric during the summer. It is the reason why I planted them there.

Don't let anyone tell you that they will grow without any moisture. Untrue. They require less water than greenleaved plants but still need their share for proper growth. Deep watering in the spring once per week. Less during the heat of summer when they tend to take a nap when hot. They will perish faster with too much moisture, than not enough. My rule is to water if the top soil is dry down to 1/2" . Use that as a guide.

Nice collection for the money. However, S. adolphii Golden Sedum is not hardy as it is native of Mexico. Considered a houseplant in the North. Portulaca is not a sedum. It is an succulent groundcover from South America, and not a perennial. I don't recognize the name of the others so probably new types or not hardy. I used to have a large selection of Sedums and also have a book about them. No Echeverias are hardy, mainly houseplants in the North. I would bring them back to HD unless you want to keep them. They will grow outdoors but will not survive the winter. There are also rosette plants that look like Semps, but are not, such like members of the Echeveria family.

Be careful when you buy plants from local stores. Look at the label they have to be hardy to zone 4. Just because Walmart or HD sells them in your area, does not mean they are hardy for the North. I workde years ago for Walmart in the garden center so I know. Ebay sells both types of plants. I will have Semps in my Ebay store after May 1 when it is safe to ship, though I am not suppose mention it here.

plantsforpegread my long post from 3/24. will tell when they will begin to multiply. However, some varietes are more prolific than others varieties in that area. It is a genetic thing.

smashedcactus Yep, it looks like Royal Ruby, which I have. Is it small--1, 1/2" across. It is almost impossible to id Semps because the color may differ from climate to climate, even growing in different places in your garden.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2013 9:23 PM

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2013
9:34 PM

Post #9463447

Thanks...think I'll use the non-hardy for indoor mini-gardens. They are small now so it's worth a try. Also, why to the semps grow up into a 'mound' for lack of a better term? (looking forward to your store opening..)

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9464190

Not all do. Below is Fiesta a cobweb type about1.75" in diameter. The chicks develop around the hen at the end on what is called "stolons". The chicks in turn mature and produce their own circle of babies, and so on. If there is no room left even after the mother hen has gone to hen heaven, chicks will grow in whatever direction they can, which may be upards. Smaller varieties do tend to form clumps.

Thumbnail by blomma

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9464248

Blooma, the largest one is about 3" in diameter. The rest are about 1" to 2". These are in full sun (Zone 6b) and left out all winter.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9464336

smashedcactus,
I have some varieties that tend to cluster and form mounds, mostly small growing. varieties. Why yours above did , I don't know.

Below is S. Fuzzy Wuzzy. It is a small growing type to 2". It starts out as most---surrounded by chicks. But it is in its nature to form mounds. The tiny chicks sprouts in all directions and mounds up.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2013 5:29 PM

Thumbnail by blomma

leongofmaui
New Braunfels, TX

April 15, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9484646

Hi! I'm new to Dave's. Just joined last week. So excited to find some kindred spirits! I got started in succulents because of a few pictures in a Vivaterra catalog. Figured I could do better for less... But now my little decorating project has turned into an obsession. Here's a few pics of my creations.

Thumbnail by leongofmaui   Thumbnail by leongofmaui   Thumbnail by leongofmaui   Thumbnail by leongofmaui   

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9484720

WOW, those are cool...do they take more care in that format as opposed to ground or pots?

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 15, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9485420

leongofmaui
Although your art is nice, it really does not say anything about your Semps. Therefore, does not belong on this thread. Please read my opening post. This thread is for learning about Semps i.e. the varieties, colors, where planted, culture, how they do in your climate, description, etc. etc. We all love photos. Other facts as it relates to Semps can be mentioned in passing. Questions are welcome. It is how we learn and we have to start somewhere.

There are many Sempervivum lovers on Daves, the reason I started this forum to show the many varieties other than the common green S. tectorum.

So please, stick to the subject for otherwise the main thrust of this thread will be lost.

Why not start a thread of your own to show your art. I bet people would be interested in seeing yours and they can add their own. For myself I love the plants for just beign plants and prefer them as nature intended. But that is just me.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2013 7:14 PM
Myprettyflowers
Mcallen, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2013
3:07 AM

Post #9485648

leongofmaui
Your obsession is totally fantastic. To see the possibilities of how Semps can be grown and displayed has really inspired me. I especially love the topiary pony. The plants you used, especially for the mane and tail, are so creative. The garden you have created on the topiary pony is simply outstanding.I just bought a couple of semps two weeks ago and now after seeing what you have done, I will be buying loads of them. Thank you for sharing your pictures.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9496023

Hopefully, this question is "staying on track" with this forum.
What is the difference between a Semp and Jovibarba? I have been asked to possibly have succulents for guests at a wedding. Any suggestions, anyone.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9496100

plantsforpeg,
Lol, yes you are on track. Go back to page 2 link on top of this page. I start by describing differences.

jovibarbas---Often called "rollers" due to the fact that chicks sit precariously on top of the other until it is time to roll off and take root. Small but colorful.

I don't bother growing them due to their small size.

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9497295

Found the link, but now I am wondering what is edelweiss' website.

Thank you Blooma. I prefer the larger ones for now and think Jovibarba maybe a good start.

allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9497330

I just came across this thread. I find I just love succulents, semps among them but I can't always tell the difference. How do you tell? These are some of my succulents - maybe some one can tell me how to id the semps. I know one of them is a semp because it came with a label

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 7:25 PM

Thumbnail by allgr8dogs   Thumbnail by allgr8dogs   Thumbnail by allgr8dogs   Thumbnail by allgr8dogs   Thumbnail by allgr8dogs

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9504924

allgr8dogs,
It is very difficult to id semps because they look like another genus of plants called Echeveria. My guess is the that #1, 2, and 4 are Semps. Number #3 might be one of the smaller archenoids types.

In the wreath, you have both Semps and Echeveria planted.

Generally, to id Semps, they usually send out chicks on runners/stolons. The hen at around age 3 will produce a flowering stem that can reach 12" with starlike blooms. After flowering it dies, leaving room for its offsprings.

It is impossible to id the variety of Semp. Their coloring changes over the season. The same plant growing in 2 different places in a yard, can look completely different in coloring.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9549126

Here's my Royal Ruby getting ready to bloom. And I think this one is getting ready to bloom. If it is, it will be my first for this one.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus         

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2013
9:29 PM

Post #9549420

Love this thread...I need some help. The Ench's are doing fairly well in the pots in my garden window. But the small (and I do mean small-3/4" at best) Semps that I ordered from a seemingly reputable retailer are not! I planted each variety in their own pot with good draining cactus type mix, watered minimally and placed them in my unheated greenhouse. I realized it is probably too hot in there this time of year (reaching over 100) even with a fan so I watered them and moved them to my covered patio on the west side of my house. The weather has been mid 80s and low humidity...what am I doing wrong? Should I have planted them in the ground to begin with or what? I love Semps but something is not working...
Thanks,
Judy

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 7, 2013
9:53 PM

Post #9550616

Judy,
Yes, they would be better off planted outdoors. The best outdoor location for Semps is shading from the hot afternoon sun. It also helps them retain their colors better. They can take heat but tend to go into semi-dormant stage and need very little moisture then. They will continue to grow when it cools down a bit. They take regular soil that is well drained. they don't really do well in pots since the soil in a pot become hot, which don't happen when planted in the garden.

When newly planted, water only when top soil is dry. They tend to root best when kept on the dry side. Once rooted water moderately. They do not make good houseplants.

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9552665

Blooma-Thanks for the info...I bought a strawberry pot to plant some Semps in...good or bad idea? I can find an area out of the west sun and use shade guards until they get established...what do you think? I don't want to loose those plants I have left.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 9, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9552705

i prefer plants to grow where nature intended, but that is me. When planted in any container, heat can be a killer. Soil in containers become hot, then you water and rot can set in. In other words be careful. If you can keep the jar out of afternoon sun, it may work.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 9, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9552708

ladyj512,
You have a d-mail

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2013
8:46 PM

Post #9552955

SC, Blooma, el al- what would be the best exposure for an in-ground Semp bed? I could do one along the west side of my house where I currently have a variety of cacti (some of which need to be terminally pruned)-shaded in AM but get sun until it goes behind the fence- or in the front yard- xeric, rock mulch with specifically prepared beds - on east side of house-gets AM sun but shaded in evening. The sun can be brutal at this altitude (4300") SC- you are in the same zone as I am without the altitude and probably more humidity- how are your Semp beds oriented? Blooma?
Thanks,
Judy

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 9, 2013
10:42 PM

Post #9553025

ladyj512 wrote:SC, on east side of house-gets AM sun but shaded in evening. The sun can be brutal at this altitude (4300") SC- you are in the same zone as I am without the altitude and probably more humidity- how are your Semp beds oriented? Blooma? Thanks, Judy

Judy,
Your best bet is as the quote above. I am 4800 ft low humidity and my stock plants are shaded against the afternoon sun. I have the bed against my link fence which holds the shade fabric. Other chicks are in the morning sun until 1pm. They seem to hold their colors longer when shaded from the hot sun. Morning sun suits them fine.

Lilly
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9573809

valleylynn wrote:Wow, I'm the first one. : )
Here is a picture of my Cebanese with Pink Pearl
Lynn

Lynn, this a such a great garden! Could you show me a picture of the entire garden so I can see how it's arranged? What is the exposure (sun wise)?
Thanks!
Deb
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9573815

This message was edited Jun 26, 2013 8:47 AM
OK, how do you delete a post?

This message was edited Jun 26, 2013 8:48 AM

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9574088

De,,
Hit "edit" under your post number. It will come so you can either edit or delete what is written. Then hit post. The message box will come up empty of words.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9574806

"Royal Ruby" in bloom.

DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 27, 2013
3:17 AM

Post #9575140

blomma wrote:De,,
Hit "edit" under your post number. It will come so you can either edit or delete what is written. Then hit post. The message box will come up empty of words.

Thanks!!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 27, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9575171

smashed cactus,
Nice, but I hope you have some babies on that plant since the hen will now die. They live only 3 years. I have the same also.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9599555

Since I'm still trying to figure out how to grow anything in FL, I'm not sure what is going on with this one, please help...

I don't over water, nor do I underwater. It receives water ever day right now with the showers we are having, but the leaves don't look good and I don't know what to do. I'm about to transplant it into a large container, which might be the problem, but any of you who have been growing them longer than I would make suggestions, I sure would appreciate them.

Thanks
Jan

Thumbnail by meadowyck

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 15, 2013
9:49 PM

Post #9600587

meadow...
First, from the photo I wonder if it is really a Sempervivum (hen and chick), or a look-alike. The leaves appear to be thick like those found in Echeverias. But, It is definetely a succulent.

In general, all succulents need the top soil to dry out in between watering. Soil have to be well drained. Add soil in the hole and mix, before planting. You didn't state what was wrong with the leaves so can't advise you on that.

If it received rain every day, that could be the problem. How large is the rosette? Semp need a small pot just a bit larger than the root system. Potting soil mixed with sand or perlite.

I have never been in Florida but I imagine it is humid, lot of rain, soil that does not get a chance to dry out. If I am correct, it may not be the place to grow succulents unless they are potted.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

July 15, 2013
10:16 PM

Post #9600599

Looks like Graptopetalum or Graptoveria. They sometimes look a little worn out in the summer (here). Should not need a large container, definitely not a deep one. Daily water is not ideal, especially in combination with high temps and high humidity. Plants should cope better with excess water if they're not overpotted. Best not to transplant while the plant looks stressed as it may crash. Also best to get it out of the summer sun. Good luck!

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2013
3:11 AM

Post #9600664

blomma, It looks like I'm going to have plenty of babies. Plus several of the parent plants didn't bloom.
Thanks, Gary

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 16, 2013
4:06 AM

Post #9600689

Amazing!!!!

Belle

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9601725

blomma

our soil is sandy, within no time after a rain it is dry. Ideal for growing tropical plants.

the pot is maybe a little small, I guess I need to repot to the next size up and see if it helps. I don't know how to describe what is going on with the leaves, I'll try for a better picture so you can see and maybe that will help.

Thanks

Jan

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 16, 2013
10:26 PM

Post #9601838

Gary, you sure will have plenty. I would remove the hens that are blooming to give the babies more room to spread out. Be careful though because some babies may not be rooted and is still clinging to mama.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 17, 2013
2:26 AM

Post #9601881

I do have succulent collection, and some are not identified. Is this the place to ID them.

thanks.

Belle

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 17, 2013
3:51 AM

Post #9601900

Hi Belle,
Thanks for asking. Sorry but this thread is for Sempervivums (hen and chicks) and they are difficult to id from photos.

There are other threads for succulents you may want to visit for ids of your plants.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 17, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9602024

Thanks Blomma

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

July 17, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9602850

The Semps are looking better after a serious depupping. First plant unknown, second arachnoideum, third calcareum (just offsetting for the first time).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero      

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2013
2:55 AM

Post #9603241

Those are beautiful, Baja. Really like those pots!

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9603569

B-C...what is your secret to growing Semps in pots? I can't seem to find the right combination of plant, location, sun exposure, etc. They just sit there...I usually start with small single rosettes and NOTHING!
I have an unheated greenhouse I could put them in in winter as I am zone 6a.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do have some nice plants in the ground I could take babies from to try in pots??

Blooma- the Semp bed on the west side of my house gets some tree shade so put it there rather in the open sun surrounded by gravel on the east . Plants seem to be doing ok...will see what they look like in the Fall.

Judy

Thumbnail by ladyj512   Thumbnail by ladyj512   Thumbnail by ladyj512   Thumbnail by ladyj512   Thumbnail by ladyj512

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

July 18, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9603811

Thank you! No secrets... probably just climatic advantage. We have very mild winters and summers. They do make well behaved house plants if they can sit right by a sunny window with good exposure. You might try that during the winter instead of the unheated greenhouse.

I start the offsets in small pots in morning sun/bright shade, then move them up to midday sun when they are actively growing. You do need to move them to a bigger pot when they are established or they will fill the small one with roots and stop growing. Some intermittent low dose fertilizer seems to help. I let them go dry or mostly dry in between watering.

The plants above get morning sun and then from about midday on 50% shade. I suspect that's not really necessary. They make offsets in the late spring in a big wave. The little ones can take a while (weeks) to get going but the bigger ones will take off running, especially if they have already developed a few fine roots before being potted up.

Here are a few offsets from the first plant to show how they progress. First set (6" pot) are two years old, second set (5" pot) were started a few weeks ago.

One more thing... you may have noticed that all my potted plants have top dressing (rocks sprinkled on top). That's not just for looks. I think it makes a difference for the roots (especially in smaller pots) to have an insulating barrier protecting them from the heat of the sun and slowing down the evaporation of moisture from the soil.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2013 11:22 AM

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero         

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 18, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9604005

Baja,
Do you bring them in during winter?
Belle

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

July 18, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9604124

No, they stay outside year round. We don't get anywhere near freezing. They seem to enjoy the winter rain (summers here are dry).

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 18, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9604419

lady,
Semps do not need to grow in a pot since they are hardy to zone 4, my zone. Also if grown where they don't receive some winter shill to go dormant, they won't color up come spring and be the garden gems they were bred for.

Shading from hot afternoon sun is beneficial. They colors also will last longer. They do not make good houseplants due to their high need for sunlight and winter shill.

I think that the first photo is S. Sir Wm. Lawrence. I have it also. Heck of a name for a hen. I like the 2nd one, but I can't id it.

Below is my Sir Wm Lawrence

Thumbnail by blomma

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

July 18, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9604436

I have observed no requirement for winter chill or dormancy in the plants I've grown. I have also had good results growing Semps as house plants (given a good sunny position).

Of course everyone has different experiences, and it's interesting to hear other ways of doing things. I am very fortunate to be situated in a forgiving climate, and have had to learn through experience which plants actually need a winter dormancy.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2013 8:30 PM

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9612453

I want to share this amazing bloom- I did not realize Encheverias bloomed...
I bought several early spring, then discovered they were not winter hardy in zone 6b so I planted them and pretty pots and placed them in my south-west garden window. Seem to be doing well them this appeared. Pic.1 & 2

Pic 3 is a nice Semp with Lavender
Pic 4 & 5 is a Semp and bloom. Sorry to see her go but there are nice chicks. I was amazed at the length of the flower stalk...you can see it laying over into the grass.

Thumbnail by ladyj512   Thumbnail by ladyj512   Thumbnail by ladyj512   Thumbnail by ladyj512   Thumbnail by ladyj512

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9612469

Blooma et al- I found a book published in 1972 on Semps and Sedums.
PLANT JEWELS of the High Country by Helen E. Payne.

Interesting, nice pics and descriptions.

Has anyone else seen it? I found it on Amazon.

Just an FYI
Judy

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9615218

blomma wrote:
I have never been in Florida but I imagine it is humid, lot of rain, soil that does not get a chance to dry out. If I am correct, it may not be the place to grow succulents unless they are potted.

I just moved to Indiana after 30 yrs in florida's zone 9A. I had to grow Semps in clay or really well drained glazed pots for that specific reason, and even then, they often rotted. Even though FL has sand based soil, I found that most all Semps, many Sedum and Ice plants grew much better in either pots or raised gardens, which for me was a metal western-styled bathtub. My pots were usually clay or clay based glazed pots and wider than they were tall, such as azalea pots. I also had good luck in pedistaled concrete pots.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America