Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

<

This message was edited Mar 9, 2015 12:34 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 9, 2015 12:35 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Here it is as a single plant with the start of babies.

Thumbnail by blomma
Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Thumbnail by blomma
Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

That is a great close up of your Cebanese, sorry to hear you lost it. My Cebanese in the above picture is the only one that survived, I think because it is kind of high & dry and on a tipped angel. It has been there for several years. I have taken quite a few from it to give away. Love my Pink Pearl, it seems very hardy here inspite of our wet winters. I have it planted in many different locations under differing conditions.
I love your Sir Wm Lawrence. Looks to be pretty prolific. This is the first time I have made plantings in a raised bed (4' x 8'). I am going to have to put bird netting over it. The Blue Jays love to pull up the smaller ones and replace them with nuts. : ( Everyday I am out there resetting 4 or 5 of them. Thank heavens right now they are in multiplies and easy to tell apart.
Here is a picture of my newly planted raised bed. Not nearly as impressive as your wonderful bed. Maybe some day.
Lynn

Thumbnail by valleylynn
Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Blomma, here is a close up of my Pink Pearl taken today.

Thumbnail by valleylynn
Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Here is one with chicks.

Thumbnail by valleylynn
Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Here is a NOID that I wish I knew the name of. : (

Thumbnail by valleylynn
Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Thumbnail by blomma
Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 9, 2015 12:36 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

June 1, 09. Same plant minus the chick. Did your Pink Pearl go through the same changes?

Thumbnail by blomma
Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

I can see where the confusion comes in. Here is a link to Pink Pearl, the center picture and far right picture are what mine look like at different times. I have never had them go real dark. Right now with the wet and cold it looks just like the center picture. http://www.semperhorst.de/Diehmor%20P/Diehmor%20P.htm
Your Sir William Lawrence looks just like the pictures on this sight in different seasons.
http://www.semperhorst.de/Diehmor%20S/Diehmor%20S.htm
Lynn

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

I consolidated my semps and sedums in planters in September to make room a new spider daylily garden. That area was about 12' X 10' and ended up having lots of unused space. So here's pot 1 of 3.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2013 8:40 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

pot 2 of 3

pot 3 of 3

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Fruit. Love your containers. What are the grey/green fat leafed ones in your bowls. Are they hardy in your zone? They are very interesting placed with the other colors & textures. Makes for a pretty scene
For me in the NW it seems the ones of mine that do best are in containers. I am trying a raised bed for the first time to see how they do. Here is the bowl from the old thread, I didn't realize the thread had moved (new to this). : )
I am starting some of them into old pieces of tree limbs and trunks. Will post pictures when I get them done.
Lynn

Thumbnail by valleylynn

When we had our first chance of frost about 2 weeks ago, I brought the pots in. If a plant came with a name tag, I tucked it just under the soil or around the rim as I transplanted. Several I don't know names but several of the ones I do are not hardy for me. I'm pretty sure that's "Ghost" Echeveria in pots 1 & 2, and "Van Reppel" in pot 3.

Yours is gorgeous! Do you know the name of the Sedum with Yellow blooms at 1 o'clock?

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Yes, it is Pacific Stonecrop Sedum 'Moonglow'. It is hardy for me and I think also for you. It is my favorite sedum. Here is another picture of it I took last month. It is growing on a concave rock. It has been there for about 5 years. I just keep taking starts from it as it grows out of bounds. : ) When it is through blooming I clip the spent flowers so it will stay compact. Love the Echeveria, wish they were hardy here. I have found some that are if sited right.
Lynn

Thumbnail by valleylynn
Elberfeld, IN(Zone 6a)

great looking pots - I like the sliver of rock - adds testure.

a GOOD friend gave me a 5 gal bucket of geodes, all sizes.....am going to place them around in the gardens in the Spring.

Also, when we travel, I try to find a couple of rocks to put in the gardens.....always brings back memories.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2013 8:40 PM

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

I love to bring at least one special rock home when we go on trips or day time excersions. I have a great love of rocks, got it from my mom. : )
When we bought this house 10 years ago it came with a huge pile of rocks of every description. The family we bought if from were rock hounds.

Elberfeld, IN(Zone 6a)

WOW - lucky you !! Have you been able to identify them??
My friend's parents were serious rock hounds - they have one geode that is bigger than a bushel basket !! Her mother literally dug it out of the side of a creek bed!! The story of how they got it to the truck is sooooo funny....involved getting the truck stuck in the field, breaking a rope, etc. They have been offered big bucks for that one....there is a whole double car garage full of geodes, both whole and split open, flat rocks for slicing, quartz, etc.....I can spend hours there. They also have a room full full of semi-precious stones - some finished and some just dug from the ground. I've been drooling over a few for my bookshelves......who needs all those books anyhow ???

This message was edited Nov 4, 2009 7:55 PM

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

You can go to the library or online to read books. : )
Some we have identified. We have one big piece of quartz with a vein of gold running through it, jasper, crystals, a piece of rock that has mexican opal in it. The above bowl has a piece of the quartz from the pile. Lots of both black & red obsidian. And much more. I love to use them in my succulent bowls and around the garden. Here is a picture of some of them. Here is another rock that I planted some semps on.

Thumbnail by valleylynn
Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Here is a succulent bed ringed with rocks from the pile.

Thumbnail by valleylynn
Elberfeld, IN(Zone 6a)

great use of the rocks - I really like planting semps in/on the rocks. I am looking forward to getting creative next Spring.

I do have a couple special rocks: 2 really nice pieces , 10 - 12", of petrified wood from the Nile River....a friend brought them back to me when she went to Egypt to visit relatives.
The super rock, sort of a rock, is a brick size piece of the Berlin Wall....a friend's son worked in the US Embassy and they were visiting at that time....they have pictures of their son breaking pieces off with a sledge hammer.

All of my friends know of my love of rocks so they almost always bring me a rock when they travel. I even have a rock from the top of Mt Kilamanjaro !!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

What a small world. We have some pieces of the wall. Our son was in Berling when the wall went down and brought us pieces. Be sure to keep them safe, they have asbestos in them so don't handle them much.
Oh my gosh, Mt. Kilamanjaro, now that is a really special rock. Can you take a picture so we can see? That is so exciting.
Hey Fruit, don't forget the picture, we want to see it (both the semp & the rock). : )
This is one of my favorites, it makes me laugh. My mom gave it to me. It is going into my next succulent project.
Lynn

Thumbnail by valleylynn
Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

This one grows like a weed here. It has wonderful water makings, sorry the picture doesn't show it. Will have to take another tomorrow.

Thumbnail by valleylynn
Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Lynn I love the rock, it really rocks, lol!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks Clemen. : ) It allway bring a smile to my face when I look at it.
I entered it in the photo contest under Garden Art and Weird, Funny, Misc.
Lynn

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Lynn,

What is the sedum on the left with the white flowers in the picture around the tree? I just love that one.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Polly. It's Saxafraga 'London Pride'. It seems to do really well under the Juniper tree. : )
Lynn

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lynn. It's not listed as hardy north of Z7, but we're Z6, so I'm going to try it. I really like it. The flowers look almost like a heuchera.

Can you recommend a good place to buy saxafraga?

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Polly, if you would like to wait until next Spring, I could send you some? Now is not a good time to move them. They wouldn't have time to get going good before bad weather. Let me know if you want to do that. : )
Lynn

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You bet. I would be glad to trade. I sell beardless irises, and maybe I could interest you in a trade of Japanese or siberian iris? Thank you!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Sounds good. Trade with you in the Spring. Yippee!!!! : )

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yippee here too! I'll put it on my calendar for end of April? We lose snow first of April, then it warms up quickly.

Thank you!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Thank you polly. I'd put it on my calendar, but I never check it. So it's good you are the one keeping track. That's what happens when a person gets older and retires. : )
Half the time I don't know what day of the week it is, except for Sunday. : )
Looking forward to April and our trade. Thank you.
Lynn

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi I'm Ang (or Tiki) and I'm a chickaholic. It started when my son brought me home two from school for Mothers Day and soon those two became 10. I'm shopping around for new ones and I'm drooling! Although thanks to this post I'm drooling more.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.