Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: ???What do you do with Diakon (Japanese) Radishes???

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 14, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

October 28, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #7216642

I always try to plant something different each year. This year I did some oriental vegetables. I got a surprise (fall) bumper crop of these radishes. I planted in the spring and they bolted fast so I let them go to seed. Well, some of the seeds landed here and there and came up this fall.

I need something to do with all these long white raddish things. How do you fix these? I'm looking for recipes someone has actually made and enjoyed.

I do like the the green tops cooked. I understand you can eat the green tops raw added in salads.
I sauteed some red onion and garlic first and then added only the green tops chopped up and cooked those down stirring almost constantly. This was very good. I even tried them on a 93 year old and she liked them. When you cook the tops they seem to lose the spicey hot taste they have when raw.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2009
10:12 AM

Post #7223080

Shred the radishes, add dash of salt, let it sit for 15 min, drain water. Add dash of sugar, garlic, vinegar, chopped green onions, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes. I make it red but if you don't care for hot stuff, you don't need to. Serve with rice or eat them like salad.

I do love greens just as much as radishes.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2009 4:13 AM
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

October 31, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #7225384

I will have to try that. Thanks
zhinusmom
(Trisha) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #7241893

They are good in soups and salads, or sliced and cooked in a little butter with salt and pepper as a side dish...Regular radishes are really good this way too.
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

November 5, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #7242390

I'll have to try cooking them. Thanks
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #7292513

if u can not tolerate the pungent flavor, sprinkle with salt. allow to sit for 10 mins. take cheese cloth and squeeze out the juices. be sure to rinse several times, or ur radish will be salty. then proceed to add any condiment u wish to add.
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

November 21, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7294555

Thanks!

I went to a sushi restuarant the other night and they had a very thin white slice on the plate, but they wouldn't share their recipe.

I have a whole bunch I'm taking to work tomorrow. Maybe I'll get lucky and have a Japanese visitor who would like some of these big ole white roots. I like the green part and thought I'd try blanching those and freezing them.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7294632

there is no secret to share. plain and simple, slice very thin, soak in icy water. that is all. be sure to spin dry prior to serving.
Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7298232

I wish I am there, I would take them all.
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

November 23, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #7301611

MaVieRose -Thanks for exposing the secret recipe. LOL

Sunshinesw - I wish you were here too; I would give them all to you. What would you do with them?

The ones I have are mostly bigger then the ones I see in the grocery stores which makes me wonder if there is a certain size you are suppose to pick them.

How long do they keep?

I
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2009
4:58 AM

Post #7301942

i love hot and spicy Korean food. this is one of them Korean Radish Side dish http://aeriskitchen.com/2008/09/korean-radish-side-dish/ be sure to scroll down to watch the video demo and list of ingredients needed.

the only difference between Aeri and myself, after i grate the radish on a Japanese mandolin. i sprinkle salt and soak for 10 mins. squeeze out all the pungent flavor. rinse 2-3 times to eliminate the salt. spin dry on veggie spinner. then i follow her recipe.

if i am lazy, i just follow her recipe. hope u like hot and spicy food. otherwise, do not use hot pepper powder. all her ingredients, i buy from Korean stores. i go to farmers market and make this recipe on weekly bases when daikon or any radish is available.

i also snack on this as i watch tv.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i do not know how long they keep cuz when i buy at farmer's market, i fix or cook right away. i do not allow them to stay long or they wrinkle and dry up. they are also good addition to boiled meat.

radish is healthy veggie to eat ... http://www.gardensablaze.com/Vegetables/VegRadish.htm does not matter if white or red, radish is radish ok. http://www.mitoku.com/products/driedvegetable/Healthbenefits_dai.html , http://www.naturalimport.com/health_benefits_of_daikon
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

November 24, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #7304214

Wow! Thanks! I'm off to watch the video. I love hot and spicy food.
Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 24, 2009
11:05 AM

Post #7305258

I make Korean dish, same spices but cubed so it'll last longer. Smells really strong fermented but boy it taste good (acquired taste). Keeps for a long time in the refrigerator(1-2 months).
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #7305393

if u ladies like hot food, u should try my kimchi recipe http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953627/ and since Thanksgiving will be in a couple of days, i also have brine recipe that has been popular in DG since 2001 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/670025/
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

November 24, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7305543

I watched the video, and found another recipe for radishes there also.

MaVieRose I like Kimchi. The ladies at work know I like oriental cooking and I got a gift
certificate to an oriental supermarket in Tulsa. You've two have inspired me and I'm going to look for a Korean Market around here.

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America