Photo by Melody

Canadian Gardening: Watch your electrical use people! :)

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #7216997

We received a phone call from SaskPower yesterday. Their representative asked us if we had a substantial hydroponics operation going? (yep we are growing mary jane was what we wanted to reply ;). I'm surprised they didn't have the police knock on the door at the same time.

Actually our steam boiler gave up the ghost last October and we've been using electrical heating since then (last winter was one of the coldest in SK's recorded history)...I must admit I've had more than a few giggles reading how cold some peeps are finding the weather (inside my house had/has areas just as cold as the great outdoors...boy do you learn to move fast in some rooms).

We are now on the waiting list to have a new boiler installed (and we've already had our house inspected for the grants available).

Needless to say some of my semi tropical plants (one example being some species of orchids that like cooler temps to bloom) were very happy with the overwintering conditions my house supplied.

So do any of you have unusual stories (either directly or indirectly) regarding our all consuming hobby???

A pic taken on one of last winter's balmy :S days...

This message was edited Oct 28, 2009 12:28 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 28, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #7217406

Not too long after I had the landscaping finished in my front yard I had a call from Enmax (the water people) who noticed my water bill had increased SIGNIFICANTLY and wondered if I had a problem I didnt know about! I was very happy that somebody noticed - I did n't like the size of the bill but I had just had new sod laid so I had to do a lot of watering.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2009
5:54 AM

Post #7219452

Isn't it wonderful that they are watching for that Carol...if you had a waterline break/really, really bad leak it would have been costly! I know when I started doing out-of-province/country calling Sasktel caught that right away and put me automatically on a calling plan that made the calls cheap (even to Europe).

Had a phone call from SaskEnergy today...they however are going to do a massive refund re payments for gas consumption (we kept telling them we had no fuel powered heat but they kept charging). That certainly will help pay for the electrical $$$$ bill.

echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

October 31, 2009
12:02 PM

Post #7226693

Pam, I hope you get that boiler in soon. Brrr...this morning we have a little white stuff. I love the pic.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

October 31, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #7227676

Thanks X2 echoes :) and I'm sure hoping we get it in soon too! The fellow had a cold (flu?) and said it would be at least 2 more weeks before he could come in and give us an estimate (and then there is the wait for the install). Should be next summer (tongue-in-cheek here...maybe) before we have whole house heat again.

Oh well at least my orchids will be happy.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #7232385

Pam - also hoping that you get the new boiler soon.

Carol - we had the opposite of the water bill thing a dozen or so years ago when our kids both moved out in the same month. The water company kept estimating our bills and we finally read the meter ourselves and let them know what the reading was - WAY less than the estimate. I don't think we had to pay them again for several months.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 7, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #7250316

Thanks Ann :-) Just yesterday I was reminding my husband that the fellow said he'd contact us in two weeks (that was three weeks ago). Too much new building going on here now I guess to have quick service anymore. :(

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America