Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daturas: DATURAS-how to store dormant in fridge over winter

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 26, Views: 644
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7217122

Those of us who love Daturas, but live in colder climates wish these beautiful plants are hardy to re-grow and bloom the following season. Frost always seems to hit when they are the most beautiful. Such happened this year with mine.

This season, I had an unusual pretty yellow Datura. It is a bee pollinated hybrid from Datura inoxia (white) and D. metel (double yellow). I had both growing 4 years ago and collected the seeds. I sowed the seeds this spring. When fall came, I decided to carry it over in the fridge, like I did with inoxia and Purple Ballarina some years ago. Those bloomed quicker and grew larger than when seed sown. However, this time I took photos to illustrate.

They can also be potted in a 16+" pot if you have the room and a cool place to store them.

As the plant stops blooming in the fall when days get shorter, you can dig it up. (This year I waited to dig after first frost.) Remove all soil. Cut the stem back to 6". The roots are thick like a carrot, and finger-like at this point. They can be trimmed without harm. Leave small roots on the plant. Barely moisten some peatmoss (not wet) and put it around the roots. Put the roots in a plastic bag up to where the stem joins the root. Tie it loosely or use a rubber band. Or put the root in the bag first, then spread peat moss around the roots. Whichever is easier.

Place the bag with the roots in your fridge over winter, or someplace where the temp is similar. The plant will go dormant. It is a perennial in warmer zones. I believe they are hardier than people think.

I noticed in April, shoots growing at the base of the plant while still in the fridge. Also had formed new roots inside the bag. Life appeared to be stirring. How the plant knew it was spring while in the fridge, only It knows.

When you see this, remove from fridge, punch drainage holes in the bag and stick unplanted in a pot for support and water with plant food. Place the pot in a protected place with morning sun to harden off. Plant in the garden when it is past frost date in your area.

Treated as such, the plant grew huskier and bloomed earlier, than seed sown.

Below is my hybrid. Photo taken September, just 3 days before first frost in my zone 4.

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #7217128

Here are the roots after I removed the soil and before it was tucked in a bag.

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #7217136

Peat tucked around the roots in bag.

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #7217141

Bag closed up to the base of the stem ready for the fridge.

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #7217199

I know I should have posted this earlier in the season. However, if your ground is still not frozen, you should be able to dig it up and save it. You have nothing to lose, except some space in the fridge.

If you live on the border line of its hardiness, wait for it to stop blooming and weather cools.

Below is a closeup of the flower.You can see the unopened petal in the center. Strangely, some of the flowers on the same plant were more double.

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7217204

Here is a double blossom from the same plant.

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #7217242

Datura inoxia, parent plant

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #7217251

Parent plant, Datura metel 'Yellow Ballerina', sowed from pure seeds purchased from Park Seed Co.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2009 11:55 AM

Thumbnail by blomma

katrun
Alexandria, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #7231754

Thank you for posting this. I have some new seeds some lovely DG's sent me for my mom.
I will let her know this. I am glad you took the time out to share this information. Great post and pictures.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 2, 2009
6:59 AM

Post #7232627

You're welcome and thank you for the compliment. Glad it's useful to someone. Just copy and paste the information in an email, or in Word to print out to send. Mine is peacefully sleeping in my fridge.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7446294

Thank you for this! I love Daturas but they don't start blooming till so late in the season. I will be doing this for sure this fall. Thank you!
elfenqueen
East Tawas, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7508886

How wonderful...thanks for your post and I'll try it out next year!! great info
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

February 13, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7556479

Great to know thanks for sharing! Tried to open these pictures up to get a better look but thats not happening here today something wrong with the site .
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7558429

Could you plant them in a pot, bring them in and keep them in a window? Store them cool but not refrigerated like dahlias? Just wondering.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 14, 2010
11:23 PM

Post #7559317

GardenQuilts: Possibly. I have never tried it since I don't have any good sunny windows to place them near. If you have the room, you can plant them in a 16", or larger, pot. Then place them in the coolest spot to slow down growth.

When planting them in a pot, cut the stem back to at least 6" to 8".
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7560183

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try them in pots. I have a small place, but have more room for pots than I do in the fridge! I already move a hibiscus and a gardenia inside in pots with supplemental lighting. They stay green, but slow down during the winter.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

February 15, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #7560470

Hi there is a seller on ebay selling a double white looks like a brug to me its great don't get me wrong there calling it white Lady could you look and see if you think is it a scam? thanks Dana

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 15, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #7560514

Hi Dana: Just a quick note before going to work. Will check later. Meanwhile, I have seen one seller on Ebay selling a Brug and calling it Datura. I wrote to her/him about the misslabeling.. Seem she/he don't care since the name is still the same. If it is the same seller, can't remember. Never heard of a Datura called White Lady. Seems more fitting to a Brug.

Keep in mind that Datura flowers face upwards. Brug flowers always hang down.

Lilly

Edited to add. Did a quick check. Yes that is a Brug. Notice how the blooms hang down. She is the one I wrote to months ago.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2010 6:46 AM
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

February 15, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7560524

Lilly must be a brug then its pretty well i bought the seed pricey i'll see when it gets here its coming from canada
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

February 16, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #7563466

That pic is in backyard garnder for datura check brug forum Betty found the picture

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 17, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7566029

Dana: Either a Daves member is selling the seeds, or an Ebay seller stole the photo to illustrate "her" plant. There are many photos used on Ebay that are stolen from Daves, copyrighted or not.

If that is noticed, report it to Administration. They do want to know and can stop it.

Lilly
brseaton
Chesapeake Beach, MD

May 12, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #7786098

I was wondering if you can put the datura plants in a cold basement rather than the refrigerator after you have prepared them. Should they be placed in a darkened area?

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 12, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #7786370

Hi brseaton,
I don't see why not. The idea is to keep it cool enough to prevent growth, yet above freezing. At a 40 F temp, plants don't need light since they are semi dormant.

I just took mine out and potted in a 8" pot and leaving it in the house until it begins to sprout. We have snow here right now so too early to put anything out that is tender.

Lilly
gammy3
Columbia Station, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #8206579

Hi blomma...I'm so happy to have found this thread. I was in the hosp. and then recouperating at home for quite a while this spring so I got a late start in the garden.
Now we've already had freezing weather and I checked the seed pods on my datura's growing in the ground and they are mushy from all the rain plus the cold nights so I have no seeds to gather out there. Fortunately I have one purple and white datura (it had doubles on it)and one white ...so since seeing your post I will try to keep them in the fridge till spring (roots and a bit of stem, that is)
I f anyone has double whites or yellows' seeds to spare I would gladly send postage
or maybe you could trade me for something I have. Oh..I'd also like a single white that smells nice evenings...mine smells bad all the time.
Your instructions are great...thanks bunches.
Helen

Thumbnail by gammy3

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

November 11, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #8206611

lol smells bad all the time evening fragrance is nice
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9259693

blomma ~ Can you treat brugs in the same way as daturas, for winter storage?

Thanks,

Evelyn

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 30, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9259988

Evelyn, I can't answer that since I have never grown a brug. Also, they are larger plants than Daturas. Also more sensitive to cold, from what I have read.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America