Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Container Gardening: Over-wintering Caladiums

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
irish1972
Emmaus, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7217207

Hi. This was my first year growing caladiums and I just love them. I want to try to keep them over the winter to plant again next year. I dug them up on Sunday and they have been lying on some newspaper in my kitchen ever since. What is the procedure for storing the bulbs and then planting them outside next year? Do I clean them? With water or a dry brush? Where and how can I store them? We have a semi-furnished basement, but it has no windows and is usually around 55-60 degrees over the winter (we don't bother to heat it most of the time). Can anybody give me a clue? I've never tried over wintering plants before, but I just can't accept these beauties are annuals around here! Thanks!

--Steph
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #7217849

The conditions in your basement are absolutely perfect for storing your bulbs. Remove all the leaves and stems (I hope you left them on the bulbs when you dug them!) when they are dry as paper. Wrap each bulb separately and loosely in newspaper so they don't touch. Put them in boxes or bags loosely, so some air can circulate. Replant them in the spring at the same time you planted them this year. Best of luck!
People will tell you to dust them with sulphur. That's not necessary, but doesn't hurt anything.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America