-
AuthorContent
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #7218100

Last weekend, I noticed a white spot on the eye of the hi asagi - when I catch him from the top looking down so the eye is in profile, there appears to be a whitish film over the eye. He seems to be either blind or close to it on that side.

I googled koi and cataracts and apparently it is not as uncommon a situation as one would think. What I am wondering is what are the chances this guy will have cataracts on the other eye? I would hate for him to be totally blind.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7221191

Funny that you should post this. I was at a fishing place last weekend and they had more than one fish with the white eye look. They seemed to be fine but both fish stayed in one location that had a lot of rock ledges and safety. This tank is a massive one that is about 6 feet tall and has glass walls and holds game fish.

I wondered if this fish were in the wild I doubt they would have lived as long as they do in the human controlled tank.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #7222000

Linda

I have read that blind fish can survive very well in captivity. I am glad as I would hate for it to be a death sentence like it would be if the fish was out in the wild. I am just hoping the problem limits itself to the one eye...
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #7289868

Your probably talking about the eyeball. I have a fish that started with a spec of some kind of fungus at the eye, the skin that surrounds eye.
I call it mash potato eye, I got medicine from a very knowledgeable person and it didn't work. I worked on him for 3 weeks with Maroxy* . The others don't seam to be getting it. I'll be transferring them to the indoor tank tomorrow, and take a closer look. YUK

Thumbnail by wormfood

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #7289958

Wormfood -

let us know when you take him out of the water... I am wondering too. Also, do you know how long it took to get to that point in your picture? The reason I ask is my fish's eye doesn't seem to be changing much and he seems to have adapted to limited or no vision in that eye...

Did the person that you recieved the medicine have a name for this ?
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #7290005

A year, year and a half. He asked me if it looked like a cotton ball. I guess it does. He went right to the shelf, knew just what I was talking about. He said it's fungal.
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #7290812

Looks more like cauliflower. But he's finding his food just fine and swimming well. I have them trained, when I tap 3 times on the edge of their pond they come up to see what I got for them.
I brought him in to apply the medicine again and some salt. Seems to enhance the action of the meds.

Thumbnail by wormfood

wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #7291079

I had a bobwhite quail that was blind and all the other quail would get in his way when I went into the cage, and I don't know how they did it but he was up on the roost every night.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America