Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Ferns, Fungi and Mosses: Next to my raised bed...

Communities > Forums > Ferns, Fungi and Mosses
bookmark
Forum: Ferns, Fungi and MossesReplies: 4, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 29, 2009
4:32 AM

Post #7219332

I get a ton of different mushrooms right next to my raised bed where is shady and moist all the time...The ones below are so cute, but are they dangerous?

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bellzeybubba
Bastrop, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #7221311

I wouldn't eat them, you should never eat a mushroom unless you have a confirmed ID that they're ok. I can't tell for sure what those are. But so long as you're not eating them, they shouldn't be dangerous in any way.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 30, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #7222634

I didn't mean to eat it, lol! I was more worried about my pets...and also due to the fact that they're always right by my veggies, you know what I mean?

bellzeybubba
Bastrop, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #7225590

Yep I know what you mean. Chances are highly likely they're doing your veggies good and not harm. Most mushrooms are from either saprophytic fungi, which break down already dead organic matter, or from mycorrhizal fungi, which have a mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship with the plant. There are a few that are parasitic, but they are the minority. So it's most likely that the fungus that produced your mushrooms are helping your veggies by composting the soil around them for you. The mushrooms that are poisonous don't exude their poison into the surroundings, although it can be in the mycellium in the soil. But, so long as you're not eating the soil and just the veggies, you'll be fine even if it were poisonous.

The pets are a slightly different manner. If the mushrooms are poisonous and your pets are eating them it could be a problem. If you're concerned your pets might snack on them and want a better ID, pick one and get some pictures of the side view with the stem and the underside of the cap, this will help with the ID.

BTW even with poisonous mushrooms, there is none that will hurt you by just touching it. Just wash your hands afterward, no worries.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 31, 2009
6:29 AM

Post #7226418

Makes total sense that it would help the soil!!! Thank you! I don't have any for a new picture anymore, but I get different ones all the time in that same area, so next time I'll take a side pic of the stem too!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.


Other Ferns, Fungi and Mosses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Let's Talk Fungi and Such Weezingreens 203 Jun 12, 2007 7:52 PM
Welcome to Ferns! Terry 47 Jul 13, 2011 10:40 AM
My favorite Fern rcn48 33 Aug 19, 2008 11:56 PM
Osmunda cinnamomea Brent_In_NoVa 11 Mar 28, 2007 7:41 PM
growing from spores hostajim1 47 Nov 19, 2011 5:23 PM


We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.
 

Hope for America