Photo by Melody

Article: Sweet Olive, an Evergreen Shrub with Fragrant Flowers: Tea Olive

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Olive, an Evergreen Shrub with Fragrant Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet Olive, an Evergreen Shrub with Fragrant FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2009
9:25 AM

Post #7219578

If the scent could only be bottled!!!!!! I'm fortunate to have three spread out among my back gardening area, and one right at the base of the deck. The South's "gardening guru" Walter Reeves, points out the blooms appear in months with an "R" in them and that seems to be true for mine.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #7219901

I love the smell of these so much, I literallly have one by every door. One coming into the garage, one by each gate. I also have two in big pots. As someone who loves the frangrances in a garden. I cant think of one better...orange blossoms in the breeze...may be close.

I would say the R month 'thing' is right on.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #7220344

thanks for writing about one of my all time fave fragrant shrubs. I'll have to pay attention about the "R" thing. I think it is right b/c I've seen them at the store in Sep and Oct with blooms. Personally, mine do not bloom in Sep-Oct but they do bloom steadily Dec-Apr

I recently bought another osmanthus to replace one that had died (weak one to begin with). It was in bloom and it sat in the car for about 2 hrs while we were running errands. The truck smelled so nice for a while. Usually it smells of tools and dogs, lol.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #7220488

Mmmmm-mmmm I LOVE these...sadly they don't love me nearly as much. I've lost all but one...wish I could figure out the "trick" Gotta grow mine in pots - not as lucky as ya'll to be able to enjoy these IN the ground.
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #7221802

Interesting. The "r" months are the months that we eat oysters.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Olive, an Evergreen Shrub with Fragrant Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tea Olive Tomroche 1 Nov 19, 2009 1:58 PM
Sweet Olive in new Orleans nolainbloom 3 Mar 2, 2010 3:19 PM
RUSSIAN OLIVE maiglocke 2 Jan 18, 2010 4:52 PM
Northern Envy....and a Question 1973tr6 1 Nov 8, 2009 2:53 PM
Autumn Olive Sunflower1888 1 Nov 19, 2009 1:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America