Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Fossilized Vertebra

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hello everyone,
This is my first post to this forum although I've been lurking for a while. I love the beach and always collect rocks everytime I go, but I never found anything I thought you all would be interested in...until this. My DH and I were exploring a beach we'd never visited before and found several gorgeous rocks with shells embedded in them. After I collected them I was extra alert as we backtracked to the car to unload the bag. As we were walking I saw out of the corner of my eye a weird design in a rock. I stopped abruptly and went to look at it. It definitely looks like a vertebra to me, however I don't know enough about paleontology to know with any certainty. I am really curious as to what kind of animal it may have come from. I only have a few pictures because I couldn't exactly bring it with me (it's on a remote segment of beach only accessible at low tide and it's part of a huge rock that probably weighs hundreds of pounds) and my camera battery was dying. Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!
-Brittany

Thumbnail by Goldberry
This thread has 15 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!