Photo by Melody

Organic Gardening: Organic control for corn blight?

Communities > Forums > Organic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Organic GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KathySEFL
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2009
11:00 AM

Post #7223132

Hi, I am relatively new to Daves Garden and planted my first vegetable garden this fall. Tis the season in South Florida. I planted a raised bed of "Bandit" sweet corn September 26. It looks to me like I have leaf blight. Do I need to do anything, or can I let it grow without treatment. Does anyone have any suggestion for organic control? I have done one spray last week with Insecticidal soap, thinking I had an insect pest.

The corn is interplanted with Kentucky Wonder pole green beans. I planted the beans when the corn was about 6 inches high. The beans are starting to outgrow the corn.

Attached is a picture of a damaged corn leaf taken last week.

Thumbnail by KathySEFL
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #7269606

You have spotted cucumber beetles eating your corn and maybe diamondback moth larva too. Look down inside the corn, the cucumber beetles are green with black spots. Pyrethrin will kill the cucumber beetles on contact, but gives no lasting effects. I wish I knew something that would work. I go out in the morning and evenings and squish them.
Bt will take care of any caterpillars.

Your pole beans are going to over run your corn. Sweet corn isn't strong enough to hold up KY wonder pole beans. Field corn is best for planting with pole beans.
KathySEFL
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #7269679

thanks so much for your response. I'll look closer at that corn. The beans have been growing wonderfully. Live and learn. I won't plant those two together again.

Thanks for the tips controlling my pests!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #7269778

The cucumber beetle larva eat the roots of the corn and sometimes make the corn fall over. They're also called southern corn root worms. The adult beetles are driving me nuts. I am going to buy beneficial nematodes and treat the soil again to try and get rid of them.

The spotted cucumber beetle likes all kinds of plants. I've found them on my tomatoes, swiss chard(they love this), beans, peppers, tomatillos...just about everything, even my beans.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #7271292

Hi, Susie - from sunny Florida!!!!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

November 15, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #7275843

Hi Kay, I never know where you're going to be!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7276792

I've been on GW since 1997 and DG since its inception.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #7278691

That wasn't what I meant. I see you're back in Florida!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #7278925

Oh - LOL - when you get older, everything has a literal meaning! Yes, after Gary (my DH) died of pancreas cancer in 2007, I sold the big house and moved to Lee's Summit. On Sept. 3, 2008, I moved to Panama City Beach, Florida to be near my grandbabies. I LOVE it! Almost all my plants are in the ground now - I even have Plumeria trees in the ground.
KathySEFL
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2010
1:33 AM

Post #7468609

Turns out whatever the original problem was, all the corn left has root mealy bugs. The corn developed only a few kernals, no ears and was very stunted. Is there anything special I should/can do with the bed as I clean it out to be replanted?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miracle Gro darius 70 May 14, 2013 6:35 AM
Not Gardening, but Organic information darius 14 Feb 20, 2008 9:10 PM
pumpkins & borers roseofkaren 25 Feb 24, 2008 8:39 PM
Brewer's grain vs. Alfalfa meal/pellets for amendments? tabasco 9 Nov 3, 2008 6:36 PM
Raised beds & soil-borne disease sfk 9 Apr 6, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America