Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts: I have a whole room to create in, but how to organize?

Communities > Forums > Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts
bookmark
Forum: Scrapbooking and Paper CraftsReplies: 35, Views: 285
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

October 30, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #7224033

Hi guys,

This is one of my hobbies, I love to scrapbook, but when I went to Michael's yesterday I was so overwhelmed, seems I am behind the time lol. I have a nice craft I've got a whole room to do my stuff. I'm posting a picture of my mess, not embarrassed I just haven't gotten around to fixing the room up after moving. My scraping table is 40"x25" the right side by the door has 21" the left 25" I also have the whole wall down the left side. There is a window but I gave the to our 3 cats so they can have the sun, when there is sun *g* besides in the summer it's too hot for me, and sun aggravates my Lupus.

So I'm asking for idea's, and pictures of your own scrap-booking area's. Which places sell the best storage that is easy to get to, and doesn't cost an arm or leg. I like Michael's because it's probably tailored to size, and they have those 40% off coupons every week, but I want to get busy because I have books to finish, from the holidays, from trips, soon a wedding, and last but not list the endless pictures of our cats, past and present. Not to mention I have several ideas swimming around. Target has some nice Closet-maid stuff, but the cubes seem too big for papers, I'll probably do 12x12 books, but for now i have several 8x8 to finish first. I'm normally a pretty good organizer, but everyone needs help from time to time eh?

Thanks,

Tau

Thumbnail by Tau10
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tau10
Federal Way, WA

October 31, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #7225266

I found some threads with good pictures, but the more you all could point to me the better. I went to Michael's with a 40% off coupon and bought a Jetmax modular storage, a shelf 4 drawer unit. I'm sure they are cheaper places, but I'm not planning on paying full price for any of it, one coupon at a time. Besides it's made to fit and stack together and designed for scrapbook supplies.
sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 2, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #7232459

I'll see if I can find my thread from a couple years back when my sister helped me do my room. For storage I like the Rubbermade (I think) drawer type storage. They have some that have 3 shallow drawers and they are just over 12" wide and deep so even papers can go in them. They are great for organizing your stamps (which is what I have in most of mine) because they aren't very deep so you aren't digging through drawers to look for the right stamp.

I'll go look now :)
sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 2, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #7232464

Ah, here it is: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/773855/
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

November 2, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #7233294

Very cool room sj! I've decided on Jetmax, so far I gotten 3 pieces from Michael's. I got the first piece for 40% and when I went back with another coupon they had them on sale for 30% so I grabbed 2 more. The ease of putting them together was one reason, stack-able and made with scrapbooking in mind. Rubber made is good, but I have 3 cats and I share the one of them has claimed part of it for herself. I made the mistake of leaving the empty box in their and she pee'd in it. I have put other empty boxes in there so I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized that the other empty boxes have been around and played in before putting in her room. I put a new box in there and they had not played in it, and still had strangers scent on it and I put it in her claimed room so she pee'd on the offending trespasser LOL

Here is picture, not a good one, but you get the idea. The taller one can be secured to the wall once I decide where they go. When I have these filled up I'll add to it Until everything has a place. I've got so many projects to finish, and it feels good to finally have the room for it. I was amazed at how much this industry has grown.

These storage units claimed 15 minutes to put together, and while they are easy the smaller 4 door has 48 little screws, the only one that took 15 minutes was the 4 shelf organizer cube. The directions very simple for me because I learn by visual more then written intructions.

Thumbnail by Tau10

Tau10
Federal Way, WA

November 6, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #7247363

It's starting to take shape; tomorrow my partner with help me drill the holes in the side of the cubes to put the shelves on. I still need to buy one more cube. I've straightened it up for now because Alexa is still getting used to the idea that she has to share the room (o; So eventually I'm going to add cat perches higher up so all three of our cats can hang out with me and not get in the way while I'm working on my projects. I know better said then done, but since the room is in the south east corner the sun bothers me, so I've given them them window side. That should make them happy. I haven't put any pictures up yet because I want to make sure I have the room the way I want it. Once we finish this room we will only have 6 more to go.

Thumbnail by Tau10

sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 6, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #7247816

Looking good!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #7249416

That's really coming together! Something that's been wonderful for my craft area is the plastic-coated metal cubicles. They are the perfect size to hold my Cropper Hopper organizers, some paper totes, just all sorts of things. I found two+ sets at a yard sale and only paid $12 for them. They're wonderful!
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

November 8, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7251590

We finally got the shelves connected to then cubes, and now I'm close to being done. I've got enough organized that I started working on my Christmas presents. Now I just have to wait and see what Ms Santa Clause brings me. Here it is, and as I get it decorated or add more cubes and scrapbook stuff I'll post a new pictures.

Have you guys ever Googled images of scrapbook/craft rooms? Some of the rooms are well WOW. Anyway it sure feels good to have a place for my things; easy to find each project because it has it's own place. I still have to go through the stickers, paper and separate them into each category. When we moved I just lumped it all together because we didn't have time to do it right, and I did my work on the kitchen table.

Thumbnail by Tau10

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #7275080

Very nice! It looks like you have a comfy chair and good lighting, too. I need to get a good task light for my area.
sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 15, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #7275097

I need good lighting too!
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

November 16, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #7279696

Being organized really helps me get back to my projects. I paint too, this is my first painting I've ever done that wasn't paint by numbers lol. I got it framed to give to my partner for Christmas.

Thumbnail by Tau10

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #7279739

I also have a separate room for my art supplies. I invested in wood cabinets (clearanced at Lowes) and countertops. I have entirely too many supplies and keep threatening to go digital after I use them all up. Of course, I keep buying more so I may never go digital. LOL

I like clear containers and use a lot of those drawer units I get at Hobby Lobby. The ones for the 12 x 12 papers are wonderful and I can stack them several high underneath the countertops or any free floor space. I can also put dividers in them to hold pens and other tools.

Hobby Lobby has some boxes that will hang on the wall with several small drawers in them (16 drawers per box I think). I store all my buttons in those. There are even dividers for the drawers, so I can store two or three kinds of buttons in each drawer.

I have long wire racks on the walls that I got for $1 each at a scrapbook store and they hold my stamping and embossing supplies.

My countertops contain big rotary cutters, Sizzix machines, sewing machine, and other tools as well as free space for stamping and embossing. But there's no room in the art room for actual scrapbooking. I end up spreading everything out on my large dining room table to work with it. And my cricut is in the dining room as well with my computer.

I'd show you a picture, but the art room is a bit cluttered right now. I'll have to remember to take some pics after I straighten it back up.

Your craft room looks great! I love the storage units you installed.

NancyAnn
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

November 22, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #7299618

Thank butterfly, I'll try Hobby Lobby, I do need some clear storage, but I'll wait until after Xmas until I see what Ms Claus is bringing me *g* Please do post a picture a soon as you can.
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #7304476

About Michaels coupons--if you sign up for their email they will send you notices containing coupons which you can print out. You can print them out several times a week (rule is one coupon per day per person) and not have to wait until next Sunday's paper. Maybe you already know that.

Then if you can get friends or family members to go with you, hand them each a coupon and enough money to cover their purchases...

I hope the Michaels police don't track me down for admitting this. It's probably a common practice.

Denise

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2009
11:05 AM

Post #7305259

Hobby Lobby also will email you coupons and you can print numerous ones out. I go inside and use one coupon, take my purchases to the car, and then go back inside to a different register and use another coupon for another purchase. About every other week, they have the "40% off any one item" coupon. But about this time of year, they run the coupon almost weekly.
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

December 2, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #7328629

I do the same thing, Michael's is only 1/4 mile away, so I use a coupon, then go home and go back later. These days most of their products, especially scrapbook supplies are on sale, at about 10% less then the coupons they offer. Then they offer the 12% off all purchases, so it turns out to be 42% off *smh*
sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 5, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #7336170

I'm jealous! I don't have any of the big craft stores near me. When I go visit my sister, she does have a Micheal's by her though.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #7337829

Sjweld, you can get a lot of bargains on Ebay--big "lots" of stuff cheap! I've won quite a few great auctions for a fraction of what it would cost me at Hobby Lobby even if it were on sale. I look for "lots" instead of buying single items.

Here are pictures of my art room. I finally cleaned it up. I spent the week going thru all my supplies and culling out what I don't need. I've listed it on a local buy/sell/trade group and have some folks coming this weekend to hopefully buy some and cart it off. I have entirely too much! I never do anything on a small scale, as the pictures will show. But look in one of the cabinets and you'll see an empty spot! I actually have two empty spots after this week's decluttering!

I invested in lots of cabinets and countertops to make the most of this 9 x 9 space so the room would actually be functional. The cabinets were all clearanced and the countertops I bought for $25 from a friend. I also bought at Big Lots a bunch of the clear, stackable drawer sets. I love being able to see what's in them, but even still, I labeled the drawers too. I got a bunch of the 12 x 12 paper drawers on sale at Hobby Lobby and yard sales and have them stuffed full, neatly organized and labeled.

Here's a pic of the drawers you'll encounter as you step thru the door. They're organized by themes so I can quickly go to the drawers and pull out whatever stickers and embellishments I need for the pages I'm working on.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #7337846

Just beyond those drawers is a wall of cabinets and countertop. On the wall are some metal racks clearanced to $1 each at a local scrapbook store. They hold some of my embossing powders and inks.

On the counter are my sizzix die cutters that I don't think I can live without. Even though I have a cricut (in the office hooked to the computer), I love the "traditional" die cutters; they're just so handy and easy to use.

Also on the counter is my tabletop organizing bag which I stuff full of tools and carry to the dining room table with me when I work on pages. I love it; it has tons of pockets and will hold just about anything I need for a day's creativity. I bought it, brand new, at a yard sale for $1.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #7337859

Above this counter, in the cabinets, are the dies I use with the die cutters as well as mats and Sizzix cardstock packages in various sizes for use with the dies. All the dies are arranged by theme, naturally--it's part of my Type A affliction. LOL As you can see, I simply don't have the space to add any more dies...

Well, there are those two empty spots on the other side of the room...Hmmmmmmmm!

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7337868

Below this counter are more cabinets with stuff. Here you can see a couple of drawers that contain my punches.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #7337889

This picture shows the drawers that I have all my stamps in. Each drawer contains a different theme of stamps (Halloween, Christmas, Wedding, etc). I love to use stamps and embossing powders. I don't use many stickers these days since I discovered embossing.

You can also see on the left in the floor some of my art cases and portable scrapbooking organizer. I have lots of these and I use them. The large scrapbk organizer has lots of pockets and will hold a ton of paper and embellishments.

On the right you can see a big shop light I need to hang up in here. I have two of them, one for each side of the room over the countertops.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7337905

This countertop is superwide--36 inches. It gives me a lot of free space to use my circle cutter, rotary cutters, sewing machine, and other special tools. I have a large thick glass on top of it so I can cut my circles and other shapes directly on the glass without damaging anything.

On the left you'll see some blue boxes which contain oodles of buttons, again neatly arranged by color/theme. I LOVE these boxes (about $5 each on sale at Hobby Lobby) and even bought some for my tool shed.

On the right you'll see the large drawers that hold my ribbons and fibers which I love to use on my pages--again arranged by theme/color.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7337917

On this wall are more cabinets and a skinny counter (about 18" deep). You'll see all my paper drawers under the counter. I also have some specialty tools (heat guns, embossers, cutters, etc) stored in some of the drawers.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #7337972

These are some of the cabinets over this skinny counter. They're filled with embellishments like brads, eyelets, rhinestones, etc. I love these stackable clear storage containers. They screw together so you can take out a whole "tower" and carry it to the table and have lots of embellishments in one place. Again I have them arranged by theme/color so when I'm working on Christmas pages, I can carry the Christmas "tower" to the table and not have to keep coming back to the room for more.

A friend also gave me a ton of the square Gerber baby food plastic containers with lids and they're perfect for holding things that won't fit in the sections of the towers. And I drink lots of the Wyler's sugar-free drink mixes and save those big plastic containers for bigger embellishments, like the pom-poms you see in them now.

(And did you notice the empty space?? :-) )

That's a tour of my setup. I love having everything neatly organized in clear containers/drawers so I never have to guess about "what's behind that door"?

When you get a chance, I would advise you to invest in countertops (or even plywood) and some cabinets. You can really store so much in the cabinets and have the countertops to work on. Notice I put countertops over some of the drawer units. It's really convenient that way. And the upper cabinets really double your workspace and free up your counters. If you don't scrapbook as much as I do or collect as much as I do, you may not need this kind of setup. But if you're hardcore (or addicted) as I am, you can make the most of a small space like this.

Hope I haven't hogged your thread or bored you with my ramblings and numerous photos. I'm sorry if I have!

NancyAnn

sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 5, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #7338400

WOW!! You have an awesome space there!!! Thanks for sharing all of that. :)
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

December 8, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #7348207

Wow, quite a scrap booking space Butterfly. I finished this project for my brother. Now everything is wrapped and ready to send today. I'm pretty much ready for christmas, and now I've been working on creating some tags like Tim Holtz is making on his blog. I love his supplies and I should have an order of them come in today.

Thumbnail by Tau10

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #7348212

What an awesome page, Tau10!! Very nice!!! I love those "antique" looking pages. Heritage albums are so nostaligic!
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9095544

@ ButterflyChaser ~ Wow! your scrapbook / craft room is awesome and so well organized! I'm not surprised by that at all, since I see the kinds of posts you leave on the other "Clean and Clutterfree" thread. My sister also is an avid scrapbooker and has a room that one day will be a "dedicated" scrapbook room like you have. She has some of the plastic totes like you have, but not nearly as many as you have in your room! She told /showed me her method of keeping her papers in order and the colors together. She keeps her papers together based on the page she is creating or the type of theme and has a "layer" method in which she lays her papers & pics together to be worked on. I've got a few pieces of scrapbook organizers to hold my papers, but nothing like you or my sister has.

She has a group of people that scrapbook like she does and they have these monthly meets where they will bring whatever project the individual person is working on. Usually they meet out of town for a weekend and my sister will split the cost of a hotel room with another gal. My sister has done books for both her kids, memory albums for her in-laws after they passed away and even a small one for her dog, Dakota, that passed over 2 years ago. I want to start working on some of my scrapping projects too ~ I want to create a book for me about all my grandkids to start with. Yep, got a lot of projects in mind that I want to do ~ from scrapping, sewing and my home renovations. I'll keep an eye on this thread ~ looks like it will be interesting and motivational. Bye for now!

Jennie
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9095799

Scrapbooking is so fun! I started with scrapbooking my son's early years. Expect to cry a little as old memories come flooding back. My son was almost grown when I began scrapbooking and the process made me wish he was little again.

If you're doing grandkids, in the plural, might I suggest a separate scrapbook of each child? Then one day, when you're gone, each child can have his/her own scrapbook of memories with grandma. For pictures that include two or more of your grandchildren, you can make copies and put in each scrapbook. Memories are precious and I don't know anyone who doesn't love a photo book.
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 1, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9105144

Hi ButterflyChaser! Wow! What a great idea to have a book for each grandkid! I was only thinking of doing one book, but I guess that makes sense ~ like you said, when I'm no longer around, then each kid would have his / her own book that I created for them. I did buy a specific Disney Princess scrapbook for me & my daughter to work on together for Sophia, my youngest granddaughter, to keep "ALL" of her photos of her visits to Disneyland in. Since she is 4, they have been taking her since she was 1 or 2. They've only taken few pictures of her when they go, but when I tag along with them, I'm the one taking all the pics of all the grandkids and parents. I have a Canon EOS 60D that I use, shoot in RAW so I have a lot of area to be "creative" with the RAW images.

Guess I'll have to start getting all the photos together of the grandkids and start cataloging with the dates, etc. Question for you ~ what would I do with a photo that has one of my son's ex-wife's kid in the pic? I have photos of my former DIL kids, before and after the marriage, but I don't want to throw them away, since at one time they were my grandkids even by marriage [for about 3 yrs]. Would I make a separate smaller album for their pics? My son gets upset when I talk about his ex's kids or even her new baby with her current husband. He thinks I should only talk about his son, which is my blood related grandson. What would you suggest in that situation? Thanks for the suggestion on the scrapbook albums! :)
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9106233

Fleur, I think I'd make a separate scrapbook for the "former" grandchildren. They're still precious to you even if they aren't to your son. He probably sees that marriage as a mistake and just doesn't want any reminder that he made a mistake. My son is like that with his exwife.

I became a photographer when my son was born 27 yrs ago. He was such a cute subject that I was always snapping his picture, almost daily. I had millions of pics when I began scrapbooking. He was a teenager then and I decided to make two scrapbooks of his first 18 yrs--one for me to keep and one to give to him when he graduated. He loves it! He has carried all over the world with him. He lives in Ireland now. And his wife called me one day to thank me for giving her the opportunity to get to know my son from the day he was born.

Keep a box of tissue handy while you're scrapbooking because some of those memories will bring a tear or two. I laughed and cried while scrapping my son's photos. Oooooh, how I longed to turn back time to when he was 3 or 4 and such an angel and could still be a lap-baby. They just grow up so fast!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
9:59 PM

Post #9410827

This is my room, I used to share it with my boy, but he just took his business upstairs :-)

Thumbnail by mrs_colla   Thumbnail by mrs_colla   Thumbnail by mrs_colla      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9415908

Mrs. Colla...

How wonderfully organized!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2013
9:07 PM

Post #9416240

Thanks, I am having a blast in there! Now all I wish i had was some paper crafty girl friends to come play with me... It seems so daunting to new comers, nobody wants to play :-(
Christie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Digital Scrapbooking 4xthefun 28 Nov 20, 2012 2:29 PM
How to...handmade cards? jh_gardens 37 Aug 22, 2009 12:50 AM
Anyone know how to make seed embedded paper, fancy and cute? branka 10 Apr 20, 2008 9:14 PM
Links for card designs?? ggd 9 Jul 29, 2008 1:53 PM
Card Making ggd 28 Apr 17, 2010 7:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America