Photo by Melody

Tropicals & Tender Perennials: Can you help ID his name?

Communities > Forums > Tropicals & Tender Perennials
Forum: Tropicals & Tender PerennialsReplies: 1, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
Portland, OR
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #7228336

A friend moved and tossed me this guy so I want to learn more about him. What can I do to to make his environment better? New soil? New Home? Right now he is facing an East window at 4:00 PM - pretty good for Portland this time of the year.

I have searched through many brom's here but none looks like him. It would be nice to know who his parents are.

Would you Brom expert help me?

Thumbnail by hocasatown
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #7266577

Impossible to tell until it blooms. Best guess... either an Aechhea or Neoregelia since both genera have quite a few species that grow on long stolons. The length of the stolons suggests that your plant is fairly old. The option to cut the stolons and root the plants seperately is purely a personal choice. Many of these guys look really good in a hanging basket.

I would guess that a little more light is needed whenever I see Bromeliad leaves a bit long and skinny. But do it gradually.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropicals & Tender Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America