-
AuthorContent
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #7230287

I got 4 adeniums (SP?) early Oct. at a swap. They were busting out of their small pots. I did some root pruning and re-potted. Now unhappily 2 are VERY soft. Have I croaked my new babies?? too much water..not enough...re-potted too high? Can I cut off their butts past the soft parts and stick in dirt? might they root or is there no hope? The other 2 seem to be doing just fine. How often should I water in the GH in winter? I really hate that this happened as the 2 softies were looking right fine...at least to my uneducated eye...named one Budda Belly Butt and the other reminded me of the Grinch. LOL
PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7230497

Well, I have one that turned soft after repotting it and it is because of rot. Wilfred suggested to take it out of the pot and dirt to let it dry out and to put a cut into the soft spots to aid in the drying out process. Does it still have any leaves? I think that mine got too much water causing the rot. I think you are supposed to water it the one time after repotting it and let it dry out before watering it again and continue to water sparingly. I hope it gets better for you! I don't know anything abouty "cutting off their butts"... How big are they?
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #7230586

No leaves on either one. The Grinch is about 6 1/2 inches high and Budda is about 7 1/2 inches...measured from the dirt line. When you mentioned cutting into the soft parts...do you mean just a slit or cutting some of the soft part totally out?
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

November 1, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #7230660

Anytime you cut roots on DRs you must leave it to dry the wound before you repot it or it will rot right were you made the cut, if you can post a photo so to appreciate the damage it has better and make a better opinion of it and what you can do to save it. In my opinion you should never cut the roots on DRs since it becomes sensitive to root rot when replanted.

Wilfred
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #7230916

Thanks Wilfred...I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. Right now dinner prep is calling me. LOL
P.S...likely a dumb question, but what are DRs? Another term for adeniums or something specific?

This message was edited Nov 1, 2009 2:52 PM
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

November 1, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #7231086

I use ADR for Adenium Desert Rose & DR for Desert Rose, when I place a small s behind the capital letters like DRs I mean more than one.

BTW, know question are dumb, not making the question if you don't know would be dumb as the forum was made to learn from others besides enjoying others thoughts and what they have to share with us.

Your Friend Wilfred
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #7231106

DR + Desert Rose,another name for Adeniums.Rot is almost always caused by too much water.When I have this I cut out all the rotted part and dust with a fungicide.It will heal and sometimes the cut part adds to the interest of the caudex.
I agree with Wilfred about letting the cut roots dry before repotting IF,and it's a big IF,the cuts will be at or below ground level.If above ground level then it doesn't matter.They will dry perfectly well in their new pot.Also,I cut off all the little feeder roots that are above ground level when the plant is lifted.I leave the large ones for added interest.I will try to get some pix and upload them later.
All that said,if your plants die I will bring some more to the spring swap.:>)
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #7231130

I see that Wilfred and I were typing at the same time.Off to get some pictures.
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #7231152

OK,I'm back.This is one showing large roots left and small ones removed.This is what I meant by adding interest.Remember that we really grow these for the caudex.The flowers are just a nice addition.

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #7231161

Number two is an example of rot removed that went all the way through the caudex.This plant has completely recovered and is doing well.I learned to withold water in the winter months.Give it just a cupful when bone dry.

Thumbnail by gone2seed

gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #7231174

Number three is a plant just recently lifted.Notice the large roots are left on and the smaller ones are starting to be removed.I don't take them all off at once.A few off each week until they are gone.This plant also taught me a lesson.Put them in tapered pots.I lost a nice, fancy ,round pot getting this one out.

Thumbnail by gone2seed

gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7231190

And finally,radical surgery.This one was so bad that I would have tossed it except that it has nice,white flowers so I saved it to use as grafting stock.It is now a year later and the plant has healed.These plants really have a will to live.

Thumbnail by gone2seed

PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #7231290

Wow that one with the hole in the middle sure is unique now isn't it. That is cool that you helped them to survive.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7233229

Awesome photos! It's good to know that they are tough plants.

I can't believe how easy these are grown from seeds. I have tons of these now!
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #7233435

LOL...JT after I posted I realized that I could have just D-mailed you.
The pics you posted are so cool. :-))) Can I dust with root tone since it has fungicide in it? I don't have any "just" fungicide and it's about 40 miles to the nearest place to get some..I don't run to town unless I absolutely have to.
This pic is the one I'm calling Budda Belly Butt.

Thumbnail by Ginger_H

Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7233438

and this is the Grinch...they both looked so much better with leaves!

Thumbnail by Ginger_H

gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #7233759

Yes,Rootone should work.It's worth a try.Just cut away all soft parts and dust them well.
As Wilfred suggested, in one of the post above,if any of the cut areas are below ground,let them dry before replanting.
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7234738

Thanks for your help as well as Wilfred's...will keep ya'll posted. Tomorrow will be the day for surgery as today got away from me.
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #7247635

Well I'm sad to say that Budda and Grinch did not make it out of the "O.R." When I cut into them they were totally rotten mush...only part remotely green were the very top tips. Oh well...now I know better and hopefully won't murder the others! Ya'll have a good weekend..I'm still schlepping stuff into the GH and getting it squared away.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 9, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #7351474

Oh, bummer! They were neat looking plants.

Maybe I should take the knife to the red that I bought that was soaking in a near swamp in the too- large pot they'd just put it in. It's just started sprouting new leaves, so I don't know if I should fool with it---

That particular garden shop is keeping Desert Roses in stock all the time now, and the big nursery has a selection as well. Ha, one is a spindly tall thing with little or no caudex, nearly five feet tall. And they want $100 for it!!!

The picture isn't current, this plant is in a different pot, clay, and is in different soil, lots of gravel. Yes, I need to go take photos!

Thumbnail by Molamola

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7511517

I think those are all awsome pictures, and you can learn a lot from them, thankfuly I have not had to deal with that problem but if I ever get it I will know what to do.

While surphing the Net last night I found some great looking DRs but they were all at a florist in Thialand, and I know you must get clearence to buy them so I passed them up, guess I will wait for my little seedlings to grow but at the rate they are growing it will take a looooong time, the 2 large ones I already have (actualy3) two are in one pot and I need to seperate them as they are outgrowing the pot, guess I need to wait until dormancy is over.

Doris
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 30, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #7512116

Glad I read this as I was planning to repot mine this spring. I might not. If I do, will certainly not cut off roots. One reason, other than they flower nicely and are interesting, that I like these plants is that they do well outside in a pot in hot, hot dry TX. Mine is neglected and is doing well. I envy those who have seedlings as mine didn't germinate but will try again.
C
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2010
10:37 PM

Post #7587770

I have just discovered I have lost my 3 ft. adenium (the first one you gave me JT) and one of the little ones I got from you last fall. One small one is still fine. I wonder if it could be that I let it get to cold in the greenhouse for them. I just don't think I overwatered them. I had been thinking I was underwatering this winter in general. And the two little ones were sitting side by side, so what makes sense here? Too cold or too much water? I just looked and pinched and I don't think there's anything salvageable (?) there. Total mush. Wish I had noticed sooner.
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2010
11:41 PM

Post #7587873

I will bring you more to the swap.Cold will kill them so if your temps went into the 30s they were goners.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 26, 2010
12:33 AM

Post #7588011

Oh, lust, a swap with DRs... But the plane ticket and etc would be 1000 bucks.

Maybe next year!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America