Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
snuzzykitty
Los Angeles, CA

November 2, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #7232100

I've had some of the choicest low-water plants stolen from my garden. Thief knew what to take and how to do it leaving a neat hole. I'm going to put in new landscaping (no lawn), and wonder if anyone has ideas on how to protect my new plants. The location is in front yard right next to the sidewalk. I don't want a fence, and don't want anything that would hurt neighboring animals. Thanks.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 2, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #7232193

A small sign planted within easy sight - saying that the yard is under surveillance and thieves will be prosecuted.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #7236348

I understand that the surveillance cameras are getting cheaper every year...
Maybe laying fencing over the rootball and covering it with dirt & mulch will prevent the creeps from digging them up easily.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2009
9:28 AM

Post #7236450

How low can a person go- stealing plants.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
11:27 AM

Post #7236516

It happened to me back in the early '70s in Little Rock, Arkansas. We didn't even lock our doors back then since the crime rate was so low. The plant thieves had already hit my Grandmother's house when she left town, so we knew that it could happen, heck, they even took her compost and sifter from the orchid greenhouse. I was still stunned to see that I was missing all of the new hanging baskets and all of the plants I had just put into a new bed by the driveway of our new house. Though I love them, I have never bought another cotoneaster because I associate it with that stunned rage feeling. Nice neighborhood, too.
When I lived in Hawaii, we had tall privacy fences with locking gates All around our house and I felt like that was the safest my garden had ever been...

Here are a bunch of fake video surveillance cameras: http://www.google.com/search?q=fake+video+surveillance+cameras&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GFRD_en
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #7236553

What a shame to have to resort to such methods because of a plant thief!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #7266792

First of all, don't plant rare, expensive plants out in the open where they can be stolen. Put your special plants in a protected area of your yard and the more common plants out front. I'm fencing in my gardens and outside the fence are the more common plants. I'm putting locking gates on the fence so I can lock it up. I grow a lot of plants that are uncommon to our area and I give lots of garden tours. A "friend" actually tried to talk another friend into helping her steal a plant I had told her I couldn't share at this time (hadn't multiplied yet). I also have a dog who alerts me to anyone trespassing; he hears everything.

I've heard of motion-detector sprinkler systems that will go off when some enters the "zone". You might look into that. If possible, put dye or ink in the sprinkler head, so when the sprinkler goes off, the person's clothes are marked. LOL

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7267034

Atta guy.
How awfull.Serves them right
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 12, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #7267143

About three weeks ago I was taking cutting of my coleus to move into my garden garage. I was busy working in that part of the garage and had both garage doors open but listening to my ipod.. To my surprise, I went out to take cuttings of Sedona, and the entire plant was gone and they broke coleus on both sides in their hurry.
kneff
Dearborn, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2009
6:54 AM

Post #7269404

Last summer someone took a large tray of Red Star cordyline in 6" pots from my driveway. They were up against the garage door, along with a dozen or more trays of other plants waiting to be planted in pots. Only the expensive cordyline were taken; someone knew what they were doing. Needless to say, I now keep everything in the back yard prior to planting.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 13, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #7269813

it astounds me...it shouldn't ... but it does...
people thinking that they have a right to somebody elses stuff...

what creates that kind of thinking...
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #7269860

People feel entitled because they want it. I was in an organizing group and one lady posted how angry she was. She apparently pulled up to a stranger's house, got out and started snipping a vine the lady had growing on a trellis. The lady of the house came out and ran her off. This woman was furious that the lady of the house "wouldn't share". She didn't grasp the concept of "trespassing"; afterall, in her opinion, all plants are God's so who are we to be so selfish.

When I worked in construction, we'd just finished a large house on Fri and the homeowners were moving in on Mon. We'd landscaped the yard with about $2000 worth of trees, shrubs and perennials. Sometime over the weekend, someone pulled up to the house and stole every plant in the yard!
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7269986

i cant imagine any gardener that would steal. in my mind gardeners are sharing kind nature loving people .. like if you care about plants and animals and the earth how could you steal plants from another person.. i just cant merge gardener and thief in my mind lol. if i had a stolen plant in the garden it would be like an elephant in the room i couldnt enjoy it. hopefully the plants die on the people who steal them. honestly if they would just walk up and knock im sure someone would give them a piece of what they wanted. i wish some one would do that here so i could talk their ear off about plants lol
DeidreG
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

November 14, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #7273317

Why not try a fake surveillance camera if you cannot afford a real one? Of course, a real one helps if you recognize your neighbor, or fix it so the car plate shows. In Alaska, the police seldom come unless 50k has been stolen from your house. Or if the person is still in your house. If they are in your yard stealing everything in sight, too bad.

With a real one, you could always put it on u-tube...

Speaking as a person who has all her strawberries stolen (the fruit) every year no matter where they are in the yard.
LindaCA
Concord, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #7273503

Someone hopped over my back fence and broke into my greenhouse. Our neighbor saw them hop the fence and called the police. It was 3 guys in their early 20s. I think they must have been looking for pot (which I don't grow .lol) but they were taking lots of plants. brugmansias, orchids and others. We weren't home when this happened. I may have taken more drastic actions if I had been home. lol
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 14, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #7273822

This last tomato season, I was giving more tomatoes to neighbors than we were eating. I had already canned what I needed. I called two friends that do not live in the neighbor hood to come over for tomatoes. Around noon, they both showed up and we walked over to the tomatoes, which are on the east side of our home and out of view from the house. There was not one red tomato left on all ten plants. We have a gate with a lock but we leave a key in the lock for different maintenance companies. I was totally shocked. This before the coleus. I have threatened many times to get a camera but just have not done so. We have one on the front entry that shows us who is at the door. Maybe I need to have the alarm people move it to the vegetables. LOL. Really do not need it at them front door because everyone comes in the side door.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #7303360

My garden club worked to make money so we could present our new museum w/ two very nice planted urns to go on either side of the entrance. They weren't there 2 weeks before someone stole them ff the corner of main hwy thur town and Main St. of town w/ the police station on one end of the street and sheriff's office on the other end.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America