Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Questions on Amish Friendship bread

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 19, Views: 197
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2009
5:15 AM

Post #7232527

I'm wondering if anyone knows if you have to include pudding in the mix? I like how easy it is to change the flavor of the final bread, but don't like how it makes the batter gummy--and I think I'd like the final bread a little lighter as well.

Also, if anyone knows how to slow down the process a bit, I'd appreciate some tips! I've gotten 2 starters from different people in the last couple of days, and there's only so much Friendship bread we can eat!

Thanks for any help!
Jill
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2009
9:49 AM

Post #7239816

Jill

I have never tried leaving out the pudding on the bread, however, I have delayed the process by a day or two by just extending the mixing part. I was always afraid to extend it much beyond this. I do know that once the bread has been made that it does freeze very well.
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7241212

Thanks, Carolyn! I just took a batch out of the oven that was made without pudding (did add orange zest and craisins), so we'll see how that goes.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7244329

Jill,
Please report back how the bread turned out without the pudding in the recipe. It's been a long time since I've had the starter. I'll have to see if I can find someone around here that has it.
Thanks,
Mike
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7245536

Gotta say, it's fabulous! Still nice and dense, just not quite as rich--which is fine with me. Texture of the batter was much nicer too-less gummy. I added about 2 tablespoons of orange zest and a cup of craisins to the basic recipe and even picky DD wants it for breakfast! :)
Sparklebright
Oshawa
Canada

December 29, 2012
2:44 AM

Post #9369606

I haven't don't the Friendship bread thing in years but I do remember that the basic recipe I had back then did not include pudding.
My favorite ways to use the starter were for cottage pudding with the caramel sauce baked right in or gingerbread waffles.

Sorry I don't have any recipies but I have seen web pages with dozens and dozens of recipies for friendship bread.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9369617

Sparkle

Cottage pudding with caramel sauce sounds wonderful... I would like that recipe if you can find it.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9369671

I had to read up on the cottage pudding and found this recipe, this sounds delicious.
http://www.breigh.com/wordpress/archives/3788

I make Amish Friendship bread all the time, I always have some starter in my freezer, I've never tried it without the pudding, my favorite is the banana cream :>) I'll have to try it without the pudding now.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9369742

mmmmmm... looks good.
Sparklebright
Oshawa
Canada

December 31, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9371779

Well it's close:-)
Actually I learned cottage pudding from my Mom and she always poured the caramel sauce over the cake and THEN baked it so it was like 2 layers:
The warm cakey goodness on top and rich caramel sauce on the bottom.

I don't honestly recall how I adjusted this recipe for friendship bread but it wouldn't be hard to do.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9513266

I was very excited when my sister was going to Lancaster, PA. because I have heard so much about their friendship bread. I asked her to find me some Amish starter. She brought me back regular ol' store bought yeast that she said they told her they used. So, I developed my very own "Everglades Sour Dough Starter". It is awesome, even tho it is still in its infancy. Can you imagine it when it matures?! I dried some and sent it to a fellow DG'er who gave me a great review. I can't wait until I have had it for years and can pass it on to my grandchildren. I don't know about freezing it, I keep mine in the fridge and feed it a few times a week. It sours better left out but I only do that in smalll amounts in case I ruin it- I still have more to fall back on. I believe it's the flavor you go for because you still need to add active yeast to your recipe. I love my sour dough yeast!
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9525540

Need to start an online biz for seller sour dough starter. May I quote my other post so you can see why I need to make ? And I am looking for ideas!
I love, absolutely love my dogs and cats. I live very rustic and isolated- the cats are feral but my doggies are my babies. Not that I am giving up- I only would like to be comfortable that my health choices are for ME, that my sweeties will be OK. I am alone except on weekends and I refuse to leave because there is no place to go with 3 dogs and no $.
This is my plan: a roadside stand with fresh eggs, plants, crafts, fishing worms and maybe canned stuff. I need to get a trailer to make my stand that I can pull out to the road (I have a hitch on my car). I might get sick, but it puts gas in my motor, and I want to be productive and that's great.
I can also do online marketing for what I have. I am still great on the computer (retired web designer).
So- Anyone got ideas for me?
Right now I am in that craziness of appointments- so I am only right now getting my ducks in a row for my life plan.
Famous words: "To those who prepare for the worst, the worst never seems to happen. To those who prepare for the best, the worst always seems to happen."
I would like to think it is a long and timely road (as last time), But I remember being sick and couldn't even take care of myself. Now, I live so far "out there", my hubby can only come home on weekends and I need to get it together and take care of the farm, myself and the critters. I hear things have come a long way since last bout (9 years), but as I said my most concern is my dogs. Maybe I am jumping the gun but it feels good at night to go to bed knowing the ones that cuddle with you, steal your pillow or fart all night will be OK. 2 dogs are old and one is a young little whipper snapper, yorkie. I would like to think the older 2 can stay together. They have been together since they were 6 weeks old. Maybe things will be OK but I am exhausting the gift that God gave me, a reprieve last time.
Got $ making ideas for me or anyone have plant pots to get rid of? How about a "pull behind" small trailer I can make a roadside stand with? I can't be stagnant- I want to help myself (well with a little help from my fiends, I hope.)

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/pf.php#ixzz2Tjo8LWKv
I love, absolutely love my dogs and cats. I live very rustic and isolated- the cats are feral but my doggies are my babies. Not that I am giving up- I only would like to be comfortable that my health choices are for ME, that my sweeties will be OK. I am alone except on weekends and I refuse to leave because there is no place to go with 3 dogs and no $.
This is my plan: a roadside stand with fresh eggs, plants, crafts, fishing worms and maybe canned stuff. I need to get a trailer to make my stand that I can pull out to the road (I have a hitch on my car). I might get sick, but it puts gas in my motor, and I want to be productive and that's great.
I can also do online marketing for what I have. I am still great on the computer (retired web designer).
So- Anyone got ideas for me?
Right now I am in that craziness of appointments- so I am only right now getting my ducks in a row for my life plan.
Famous words: "To those who prepare for the worst, the worst never seems to happen. To those who prepare for the best, the worst always seems to happen."
I would like to think it is a long and timely road (as last time), But I remember being sick and couldn't even take care of myself. Now, I live so far "out there", my hubby can only come home on weekends and I need to get it together and take care of the farm, myself and the critters. I hear things have come a long way since last bout (9 years), but as I said my most concern is my dogs. Maybe I am jumping the gun but it feels good at night to go to bed knowing the ones that cuddle with you, steal your pillow or fart all night will be OK. 2 dogs are old and one is a young little whipper snapper, yorkie. I would like to think the older 2 can stay together. They have been together since they were 6 weeks old. Maybe things will be OK but I am exhausting the gift that God gave me, a reprieve last time.
Got $ making ideas for me or anyone have plant pots to get rid of? How about a "pull behind" small trailer I can make a roadside stand with? I can't be stagnant- I want to help myself (well with a little help from my fiends, I hope.)

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/pf.php#ixzz2Tjo8LWKv
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9525831

Could be a good Eagle Scout project - helping you get set-up for roadside sales. Try to contact local Scouting organization.

Though I don't know if you produce any crafts that would make good incentives, perhaps Kickstarter or similar funding could work. Or a 'microfinance' organization?

sorry, that's all I can think of.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9525835

I'm glad I found this thread! I made the friendship bread last night, and it turned out great, but since I'm lactose intolerant, I only have soy milk on hand, not milk, so I used that. As I was removing the four cups of starter to give away, I was wondering if it would still work.
My son, an avid bread maker, said it's the yeast in the original recipe that ferments, not the milk. Is he right, or is the milk an important part of the fermentation process, too?

This message was edited May 19, 2013 12:38 PM
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9526082

I'm not an organic chemist but, i suspect the yeast lives on sugar - most likely lactose.

so, while there may be a yeast that can live in a soy product, I think switching your present culture to a lactose-free soy milk would likely kill it. You may be able to reduce the amount of milk. dunno.

cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9526093

From what my experience is, is that the Amish starter is only red star yeast. (Actually, it was a huge disapointment) Several people have said that and have brought it to me- It's sold in Publix. THAT IS NOT SOUR DOUGH YEAST STARTER. Sorry. You need to find someone nurturing and growing an awesome starter. THAT is where sour dough comes in. We can all open a pack of yeast- cool- but it takes alot of love and attention to make a true sour dough starter. The taste is better than you can imagine. They call it friendship bread because you must feed your yeast quite often ( dmail me for sites), thus the volume is more than you can handle so you share it. BUT, it is the person who cultivates the sour dough yeast that you need to find. It is a journey! What I did is take the Alaskan Goldrush yeast, SanFrancisco Sour Dough yeast and use that as my starter then I made my own "Everglades Blend". It is all about the microorganisms in the air. It came out very awesome. I sent it to a fellow internet baker and he gave me raves. And what are ya talking about milktose? Who said ya it needed milk?
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9526099

OK. Lucky- it's a job. sometimes it is unbleached flour, raw can sugar, milk flour- it's a flavor thing, sometimes I even give my starter a pleasure and add dried buttermilk. It ain't science.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9526171

Hmm...the soymilk has sugar in it, though not milk sugar. I'm gonna see if it ferments then I'll let you know.
My son lives in San Francisco and he did explain about the 'wild yeast'. He uses sourdough starter for sourdough bread, and has never heard of Amish Friendship Bread.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9526388

commercial sourdough bakers guard their 'bugs' like gold. To get a superb wild yeast is rare and you don't let the secret out.

It IS science, many traditions and recipes ARE formulas and procedures. That said, who knows what you might discover trying to vary things a little?
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 6, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9548369

I think TIME plays a huge roll in a good sourdough yeast starter. I ordered San Francisco Sour dough yeast and the alaskan goldrush yeast, then mixed them up to create the beginnings of my own Everglades SD yeast. I felt I needed a bit of a jump start by the store bought ones but wanted a yeast indigenous to my area. I counted on the local swamp micro-organisms to christian my yeast as I was letting it bloom. I made a few test loaves after 3 mths that were were flavorful but I wanted a hearty yeast flavor that I felt I hadn't achieved yet. It has been 6 mths now of nurturing my new pet and it just gets better and better. As I go, instead of throwing away my excess, I dry it, powder it and hope to put it on a future "self-sustainabilty" website that I want to build. (After I get done with this health issue bout). I have had a group want to come out and learn about it,when they do, I would like to send them all with an "Everglades Sourdough Yeast Starter" to try at home. There are no nearby stores here- we do have a volunteer free bread truck about 15 miles away once a week but I don't eat bleached flour. So yes, my yeast is pretty much my wild child, absorbing the local fauna and flora micros and a huge pleasure for me to call my very own blend. As for feeding it, I switch daily- powdered milk, powdered buttermilk, sugar, unbleached bread flour, whole wheat flour, raw sugar... I think that's it.
I have read and I agree, this yeast is for the amazing sourdough flavor, not leavening. When I bake, I add red start yeast for the leavening or the bread is very dense.
I hope to keep perfecting it and make it my legacy to my friends and family.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America