Photo by Melody

Article: Sweet Olive, an Evergreen Shrub with Fragrant Flowers: Sweet Olive in new Orleans

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Olive, an Evergreen Shrub with Fragrant Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet Olive, an Evergreen Shrub with Fragrant FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nolainbloom
New Orleans, LA

November 2, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7233406

I have two sweet olives standing guard at the front entrance of my garden in New Orleans. I am happy to say, they have just begun a blooming cycle. The clusters of delicate flowers are so tiny, I wasn't aware that they had started blooming until I caught a breath of the truly sweet and delightful fragrance wafting through an open window in my home on a recent evening. Their fragrance is a welcome surprise in the winter and early spring here when few other plants are perfuming the air. I have often heard that the sweet olive- among other fragrant flowering plants such as the night blooming cirrus- was originally brought to New Orleans to serve as an odor barrier when the city was first colonized. In those days, open sewerage and domestic animal waste was a common problem for residents of the new French settlement, and a common solution to the odorous issue was to include heavily fragrant plants within the landscape. Sweet olive can be found throughout our historic city, many specimens showing their age by their magnificent size. Many of my neighbors have specimens that appear to have reached their maximum height, standing well over 15 to 20 feet skyward. One can only guess at their age. They are slow growers, but once established, they tend to develop elegant multiple trunks and add a sculptural effect to the landscape. Most gardeners in NOLA hold strongly to the tradition of keeping at least one of these gems in their landscape - how lucky for us!
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #7289316

You are lucky, indeed. My sweet olive makes visits to my backyard very pleasurable experiences. It will always be a part of my landscape.
spears18102
Bogalusa, LA

March 2, 2010
12:33 AM

Post #7598049

I'm wanting to transplant a small sweet olive. When is the best time?
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7599517

I'm thinking about now would be a good time. It would have time to establish some new roots before the hot summer gets here. If that is not possible, I'd suggest waiting until next winter when the plant is most dormant.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Olive, an Evergreen Shrub with Fragrant Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tea Olive bugme 4 Oct 29, 2009 11:23 PM
Tea Olive Tomroche 1 Nov 19, 2009 1:58 PM
RUSSIAN OLIVE maiglocke 2 Jan 18, 2010 4:52 PM
Northern Envy....and a Question 1973tr6 1 Nov 8, 2009 2:53 PM
Autumn Olive Sunflower1888 1 Nov 19, 2009 1:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America