Do ducks eat snails?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I've read that ducks eat slugs, but will they also eat snails? My friend's garden is loaded with snails, and I'm thinking she might could use a pair of ducks to clean it up.

If ducks do eat snails, what are the quietest ducks? She lives in town.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

I believe that ducks will eat most anything that moves. My guys eat beetles, worms, grasshoppers, and crickets that I have personally seen. I know my guys are quite carnivorous so I would say that the answer is yes. As far as quiet, I have owned or own, mallards, snowy calls, bibbed calls, runners, khaki campbells, blue swedish and a couple muscogee fly ins. All are relatively noisy at times, the small bantam breeds can be quite noisy when they get disturbed. The bantam breeds are big time hunters, that would be mallard and call ducks. They also have to have their wings clipped to keep them on the ground. My runners are the quietest, but I don't see them hunting out of the pond area. Some say that drakes are quieter so if you were only getting two or three, I would get Call drakes and just keep wings clipped every so often.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Do you think a fat, lazy [mostly] house cat is any threat to a full sized duck?
And as there is no pond, there's only one option for fresh food... =0)

This message was edited Nov 6, 2009 8:59 AM

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

I have three cats, two of which are barn cats and I have never had them go for a duck. Ducks are too big for a cat to stalk. There would be a big threat from a dog, but the smart move is to not let a dog near the ducks.
Most folks let their ducks out in the morning and put them up at night. Once the ducks get used to the schedule and know where the duck food and water is, they are easy to handle. Ducks don't need a pond to be happy, just a small source of water that they can drink and dabble in. Worst thing to do is to get them a kiddie pool because ducks poop where they swim and if you don't keep cleaning it, there will be a lot of problem with disease not to mention the smell.
A few weeks ago we were having a major mating of dung beetles and my calls got so fat they couldn't fly for a while.

Joy

Richmond, TX

Our "barn cats" are actually feral cats, and they never bothered the ducks, even when they were about half adult size.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Nope, no dogs, just fat lazy cats. =0)
Now to find a couple of runner ducks...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images