Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Fall and Winter Gardening: Protection 4 Winter Garden

Communities > Forums > Article: Fall and Winter Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fall and Winter GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #7234073

Gloria, thanks for the timely article. My husb & I were just discussing over coffee this am about making some sort of protection for a few herbs and veggies to enjoy over the winter in zone 6. We have a small square plot on the south side of our house by a walk out basement. We are going to put something in there or on the deck by the kitchen window. I am thinking the ground would be better for the warmth. What do you guys think?
I could not quite figure out how to use the PVC pipe and the 6 mm double sided plastic, but I will do research to learn more about this.
I would love to grow cilantro, red leaf lettuce, and spinach. There may be other veggies/herbs I could plant, (basil??) but I don't know what they are. I much prefer spinach over swiss chard and don't care for radishes.
Btw, you can take kale leaves, put them on parchment paper, sprinkle with olive oil and salt and roast on 400* oven and they make a real tasty snack.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

November 2, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #7234308

The toasted kale leaves sound great. I would look for cool season vegetables--Johnny's Select Seeds and The Kitchen Garden have good selections. I don't think basil would do as well as something more hardy--like oregano. Radicchio is a good winter crop. I would search for Eliot Coleman. He is winter gardening in Maine and has lots of great ideas.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fall and Winter Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Timely information! melody 4 Sep 28, 2007 10:10 PM
help Podgie 7 Oct 29, 2009 2:00 AM
Veggies and Flowers in the Winter? gloriag 0 Sep 30, 2007 4:01 AM
Great information... Sharran 4 Oct 27, 2009 4:37 PM
New Eliot Coleman Book is Out gloria125 2 Oct 27, 2009 8:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America