ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #7236465

I have seeds for Meconopsis Bailyei
Can I direct sow them now?
Directions say to start in a cool greenhouse.
"Extra special care" germinating plants are not my forte'
Has anyone grown them from direct sowing in winter?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2009
9:45 AM

Post #7243419

Heres what I decided to do.
Since advise about this plant was that it didnt like out Northeast hot humid summers ,and I wasnt about to o to the trouble og greenhouse germination, I just direct sowed them where I wanted them with a marker so I can see if they appear this spring.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2009
7:12 AM

Post #7249645

These are probably among the most challenging seeds I have ever tried. They are absolutely gorgeous but I don't think they are meant for our climates. I finally got some to germinate one year in the house in pots but they didn't survive transplanting. They require just the right amount of moisture, shade and coolness to do well. I believe they do well in our Northwest (Oregon and Washington). I remember having them in the fridge in the pots before they germinated. If you get them to go for you I will be thrilled because then there is a chance I could do them. I have even talked to people in England to see if they could send me plants. He said they had to be sent in the fall. Well it was too complicated for them to get the permits so it never happened. Good luck to you and let us know how you fare!!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2009
9:40 AM

Post #7249699

Thanks for the info.
I doubt there will be any success with the seeds where I tossed them.
GF who visited Butchart Gardens want some. I think she believes I can work mericals and she will have these blue poppies spreading nicely in her garden next summer.
I usually share plants with her but this one is not going to happen.
I told her about the problems getting them to grow here.
She doesnt believe me.
I will not be germinating them in my fridge as I live with my children and my fridge is small and the family fridge is also limited with three people using it.
Thanks everyone who gave me the straight dope on these plants.
The seeds are direct sowed ontop of horse manuer and marked ,thats as much work as I am doing for a plant I know will not survive from the get-go.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7250228

Jo Ann, they say the only place one can grow meconopsis is in the pacific Northwest, and upstate NY. I have no idea why, and that's probably not true, but I have grown them for quite a few years, and to tell you how long, I got my origional plants from the real Heronswood. If you can even get one, they are just gorgeous.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #7250595

Pollyk,

Do your blue poppies self seed or do you plant seeds? What do you think your magic is? I always drool when I see these magnificent plants but have had to live with reality. I'll must revisit Butchart Gardens, which was my real inspiration many years ago to start gardening in earnest! The closest blue poppies I can grow are Hungarian blue bread poppies!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #7250756

If the seeds germinate where they are I'll be happy.
If not I will try to find a plant here in spring
My bird houses are done.
I like this one best

Thumbnail by ge1836
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #7251375

gardadore, I have had a very, very few seedlings. Very few. Just enough to keep going. I usually have a dozen or less blooms each year. I put it over under the lilacs, and it's in part shade and dry there. The one I have is betonicifolia.

Good luck finding a plant locally Jo Ann. Possibly Wayside. Love that birdhouse!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2009
9:54 AM

Post #7252454

The Blue Poppy issue is waaaaaaay back on the burner.
They are beautiful but I tend to take more intrest in plants that give me a payback, by growing and spreading and blooming.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #7252804

Me, too, but I was young and stupid when I bought it, thinking I could grow everything. Well not everything grew, but that one did. It definitely does not 'flourish' here.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

November 15, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #7274748

These are one of my gardening goals. I can get seeds to germinate, but they damp off on me.
The garden centres sometimes bring in plants and I have got one through a winter here,but it died before it flowered.
The Devonian Gardens run by University of Alberta did have one plant flowering one year when I was there.
One purchased plant of the purple variety did over winter and flowered , then died.

They like a peat based soil to germinate.

The two books on these are "The Himalayan Garden" by Jim Jermyn.
And "Blue Heaven" by Bill Terry.

I keep trying---will let everyone know if and when I am successful.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #7274910

I amended the soil heavily with peat. It's certainly worth trying.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2009
10:38 AM

Post #7275665

I just ordered Hungarian Blue even though its not as blue as the Himalyian,its more lavander.
I think I will give up on the Blue
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

November 15, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #7275981

I have always wondered about the Hungarian Blue-----is it the flowers which are blue or the seeds are almost blue?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #7276029

I have no idea.
I ordered first time last week, because they look so good colorwise with my JI's.
The flower looks almost lilac, not cobalt like the Himalian ones that are hard to grow here.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

November 15, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #7276052

That is a pretty poppy even if it is not blue.
I have seeds for it--they say Hungarian Blue seed poppies so I hope they will look like your picture.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #7276069

That picture is from OneStop Poppy shoppe.
I save all pix of flowers I have.And insert the pix in garden notes when I make the order so I remember whee I planned to put them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America