AuthorContent

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #7236568

I wore a big smile and laughed my way through your article...
I thought you were writing about me!

I'm just taking a break right now from clearing a spot in the basement. This area also known as my dungeon serves as the area for my driveway jungle. I too struggle getting the plants through the door and down the stairs!

Glad to read that I'm not the only one who does this!!
:)

This message was edited Nov 3, 2009 4:24 AM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #7237021

Been working at this chore for 3 weeks now. Last year purchased a greenhouse 6X8. What was I thinking? It doesn't begin to hold the pots. Have taken over the tool shed. Still had to bring in half a dozen inside the house (and I hate that the most). Yesterday DH dug the tropical hibicus that live happily in the ground all summer. I couldn't just let them die.
Potted them and had to trim substantially to get them inside somewhere. What started with 6 plants has morphed into 9 pots. They root so easily I can't just put them in compost.
Still have white daranta and morning glory bush to root. And to make it worse, everything is more than double the size it was when we put it out last spring. I try to give the "sticks" to everyone telling them how easy they will root. NO thanks. But next spring when they are a plant, well...everyone wants them.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #7237115

Ahhhh, Kin...if only I had a basement. Good grief, man, I have seen those pots of yours...I can't imagine lugging them down steps. So maybe I don't need a basement after all. I think I need a sunroom.

LouC...what were you thinking, only 6x8? I'll bet this time next year you will have enlarged it...or added another one.

Do you think we are addicts?

Even so, I sit here looking up at my second oldest ficus, whose leaves are dropping slightly from the move to inside..just as they always do, and i have to laugh at it. It looks for all the world like it might just need a hole cut in the ceiling above it.

No, I won't do that. It can just bend for awhile.

Thank you both for reading the article, and for letting me know.
Happy houseplanting!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #7237275

Great article Sherran, it sure kept me smiling, making me very thankful that I don't have to go through that every year! I am always amazed at what devoted plant people some of you are, with what you have to go through moving so many plants (some of them really huge plants!) indoors for the winter and back out again in spring.

We do have the occasional frost and freeze in my area but thank goodness they are few and far between! If our temp's are predicted to drop below @ 45 the plants on the decks all get shoved up against the south side of the house and have blankets thrown over them until early morning when it begins to warm up again. My house is small and I do bring a few things like Orchids and Hoyas inside during the winter months but I can't imagine having to go through what you do with the process of plant baths, de-bugging, rinsing, and moving!

Gee, I just went and re-read your article and I'm so tired from reading about all that work ... I think I'll go take a nap! ^_^

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7237297

Ha Lin...about the nap.

Today is the day I have to go through the house and pick up all the leaves that have dropped...I forgot to mention that in the article. A zillion leaves from each plant as they settle into their move into the house. And it has to be done by hand, or with a broom, otherwise it'll clog up the vacuum.
Sigh. Yes, I do it every year.

I'm not going to mention those tiny pots you carry in, nor your weather, nor any of those conditions you live with. My daughter lives in Fort Lauderdale, and every year I threaten to bring them all to her...when I do, I'll be sure to drop a few off for you to enjoy! I just know they'd love it there.

Enjoy your weather ...and your nap!
Thanks for writing.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 3, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #7237320

Sharon, like Kin, I also enjoyed your article mostly because this seems my story for every fall and spring!LOL Even though I have been living in an apartment, I still did the same...imagine the giant hibiscus plants in a one or 2 bedrooms apartment!
This fall I was complaining about how many pots I'd need for my plants and my DH said I can buy nice pots for each one with only one condition : if I won't propagate any of them anymore! Then he told me to count how many plants needed new pots...only 52, different dimensions and that was only downstairs. I have at least a dozen upstairs too!LOL
Thank you for such a beautiful story, great article !
BTW, I have 2 rubber plants too, but the ficus is still small ! I'll keep you posted!LOL
Adina
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7237358

Funny, Adina...I am so glad to know that others share my houseplant craziness.

At least you now have more room in your new house...just tell your husband it's good for the air you breathe!

Thanks for writing, and do let me know about your rubber plants and the ficus...trust me, they'll be fine.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

November 3, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #7237756

Quite a joke! My angel-wings begonia (no trees) gets too tall & is cut back & rooted for more. It is over 50 yrs old. It has brighter flowers when moved outside in the summer, but it says in, has paler flowers. After all it is grown for the spotted leaves. I have a couple christmas cactus as well. Start small & stay small, that's my motto.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 3, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #7237864

Sharon, bigger house means more room for more plants!LOL My son told me the other day to forget going on holidays and leave him to water the plants like he always did!LOL
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #7238764

IrisMA...you have the best advice! I need to listen to you.

Poor son, Adina...I believe he's getting a little tired of the plants.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #7239130

I'm so glad we can all share our plant secrets here! LOL
Adina, you sure have a great family I can only imagine your home right now...

I only have a few true house plants one of them is my pony tail palm. I've had him for 18 years now and each spring I tell him it's time to go on vacation. He's returning from vacation really soon. I know we will get that really hard frost soon so then the tenders must go to the basement. Been fortunate so far keeping them under the carport.
LouC, I bet you can stuff that 6x8 pretty good though. You seem to do the same as me. I get starts or give them out during the summer to friends and people who stop and admire the plants.

Sharon, thanks again for a wonderful article and making us feel like one big family.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #7239181

WAHHHHH...I want a ponytail palm.

I had one once, and in a fit of something or other, gave it to my neighbor a few streets over to keep for awhile one winter. They killed it...didn't even tell me about it...when I went to pick it up the next spring, they gave me the empty pot, said it had died during the winter.

I was furious wild...but my husband wouldn't let me ...ummmmm...hurt them.
That was many years ago, and I was never so happy as when they moved away.

Kin, I love my DG family of readers...I talk like I write, I think, and it does my heart good to read your comments. Little things mean a lot, you know. Learning from and sharing with each other is just about the best.

Thank you.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 4, 2009
7:38 AM

Post #7239774

Thanks, Kin! It's great to share , we can learn more. I don't know what a pony tail palm is, but I would like one too!LOL
Sharon, I would have been mad too! Good they left!LOL I often give away plants to friends and colleagues, when they ask for one and makes me happy to give it to them, but they almost always kill them and ask for more, until they learn how to take care of them. Makes me so sad, like loosing someone very dear.
Adina
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 4, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #7240098

Sharon (and all above): I enjoyed the article and your comments so much! Yesterday was hectic in ways I can't explain; today should be much better. Just a busy, crazy week for me.

I bring in a few things just for overwintering, namely a begonia and clerodendrum thomasoniae, a few cuttings to root and that's it. I'm not much on houseplants because I'm basically a casual, lazy gardener and don't have the time that most houseplants require, besides the dropped leaves that Sharon mentioned.

I had a ficus once that my mother gave me, but my ficus developed a fungus and fizzled!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #7240410

Sorry about your poor fungle fizzled ficus, Angie...
Let's hope that problem doesn't spread.

Giving away plants, Adina, is like putting a puppy or kitten up for adoption, you can't be too careful!!

You all have a good day, this thread makes me smile out loud!
Hoffsj
Harrison, AR

November 9, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7255630

This article was very funny. I can totally relate. I keep telling myself that I need to stop acquiring plants that can't overwinter here, but for some reason I can't stop. I think that you guy's would enjoy my blog http://ozarkimages.blogspot.com . Thanks for the article.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #7255695

Sarah, Sure hope you entered pictures in the calendar contest. Yours are very professional.

Christi

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #7255846

Thanks Hoffsj, nice to hear from you.
And you too, Christi...

I'll check out the blog soon, thanks for sharing.
Hoffsj
Harrison, AR

November 9, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #7256650

Thanks to you all for visiting my blog. I was not aware of a calender contest. I will look into this.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 9, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #7256750

Sarah, you might also want to join the writers forum on DG, I enjoyed so much your thoughts about Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, the Photo contest is over this year, now you can only vote for your favorites. You'll find it on DG home page.
Adina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Jungle in my House Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Houseplant Irony LariAnn 1 Nov 3, 2009 4:17 PM
12 step program for houseplant haters melody 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:16 PM
Still chucklin' Quilter5bdsr 8 Nov 11, 2009 2:28 AM
Aspidistra Hell! NEILMUIR1 1 Nov 3, 2009 11:48 PM
Can't throw away that little piece... zhinusmom 1 Nov 4, 2009 5:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America