Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Jungle in my House: 12 step program for houseplant haters

Communities > Forums > Article: The Jungle in my House
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Jungle in my HouseReplies: 5, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7236948

I confess...I hate them too. Love my outdoor plants, but cringe at the thought of bringing them in.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #7237200

You know, two or three weeks have passed since I wrote this article. Now remember, I have two front doors. Yesterday when I walked back up the driveway from getting the mail, I glanced at my little front door stoop, not the door I was using at the time. Sitting there in full view is my other rubber tree...and planted with it is some kind of peace lily that I forgot I had. The lily is blooming like there's no tomorrow. And both are still growing.

I can't believe I forgot it. I wonder how long it'll last out there.
Here I go with that push, pull, drag thing. Again.

Hey, Mel...you want another house plant? It's blooming! You've got that big window...
Benton, KY

November 7, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #7251355

Hi Sharon, just reading about all your house plants. About the rubber plant. I had decided to let mine die this winter. I have so many inside already. But out I went and put it on the porch and tomorrow I will debug it and bring it inside. I tried to give it away and no one would take it.I also have a small date palm. Would anyone like it. Also I have orchids. I love orchids. Enjoyed the article.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #7251376

I'll bet you've been outside enjoying this weather today, hasn't it been great!! WOW. Spent the whole day out in this incredible sunshine.

You just said the wrong thing. I have been looking for a date palm.
I'll trade you for...well, how about the 3 foot ficus??

Aren't we terrible, we just can't do a thing about our obsessions.

But I draw the line at orchids. They are beautiful and lovely, but I don't want any orchids. No..none.

Great to hear from you again, thank you!
numbercruncher51
Herrin, IL

November 9, 2009
9:18 AM

Post #7255247

I've got a foxtail fern that has made the annual trips in and out many years now. I've divided and donated, sheared and shared, over and over again. Everybody in our local garden club has been approached. I feel like a panhandler in reverse. People are starting to avoid me. You'd think I had an armload of zucchini or something. . . I finally started harvesting fronds for insertion into bouquets of cut flowers to dress them up. After a week or two, I can toss them into the compost along with the spent blossoms and try not to hear them out there crying in the rain, quietly chiding me for being a mean old plant killer.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #7255861

Ahhhhh, you hear them crying, too...nice to know I'm not the only one!

We are a sad lot, we are, we are. But that is a good idea. With my luck they'd all take root in the bouquet, and I'd gather up all my little pots and a zillion bags of potting soil and cover every square inch of window space with them.

I love foxtail ferns. Sigh.

Thanks for the encouraging words...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Jungle in my House Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Laughing GardenGuyKin 19 Nov 9, 2009 7:44 PM
Houseplant Irony LariAnn 1 Nov 3, 2009 4:17 PM
Still chucklin' Quilter5bdsr 8 Nov 11, 2009 2:28 AM
Aspidistra Hell! NEILMUIR1 1 Nov 3, 2009 11:48 PM
Can't throw away that little piece... zhinusmom 1 Nov 4, 2009 5:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America