Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Jungle in my House: Still chucklin'

Communities > Forums > Article: The Jungle in my House
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Jungle in my HouseReplies: 8, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7236958

I'm still chucklin' after reading your article, Sharon. I have one houseplant, a pathos that Norm bought for $1.99 ten years ago. We have named it Seymour and I have chopped it down to three leaves at least six times in these past ten years. I have started at least 50 new plants from it and it still goes strong. The last time it was trimmed, the runners I cut off were around 30 feet long. And yes I said 30 feet. It went up the wall, across the windows and down the other side and then back again!!! But what a fun plant to use to teach the grandkids about plants and how they grow. We have really enjoyed it and I can't think of losing it...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7237089

Oh, I should have written about the purple passion velvety thing that I had, oh maybe 30 years ago, that took over my bedroom...up the window, across my bed, on its way to another window...it very nearly brought about a divorce before I realized it could be cut back.

Great story about your pathos...thanks for telling me!

And thanks for writing, too.
Poetinwood
Council Hill, OK

November 10, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7257669

What is a pathos? Spathoglottis?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #7257708

I spelled it incorrectly, it's pothos, a common name for an Epipremnun. Some also call it Devil's Ivy.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=pothos&Search=Search PlantFiles

I hope that link takes you to it.
Poetinwood
Council Hill, OK

November 10, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #7257755

Thanks, lost in a cloud there for a minute or two. But how did you know Quilter5bdsr's was a misspelled pathos too? No, don't answer, I'm deep enough already. I'll try the Epipremnun. Pretty tough are they?
Thomas
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #7257865

Your question made me think about it, and I went to Plant Files to see if I could find pathos. Couldn't find that, then decided Quilter and I were both wrong, so I tried a different spelling. And there it was.

They are so tough I have to keep cutting mine back and back and back, then I stick the end cuttings in water and have them sitting all over the house. Yes...they are about the toughest house plants I've known. So tough I forget to water them sometimes.

Thanks for the question, I would never have thought of it if you hadn't asked, and I really don't like to make a spelling error like that. I wasn't sure of it's Latin name until you asked, either, so that needed to be mentioned as well. I think most people pronounce it 'pathos' as opposed to 'pothos'. I'd have to research that common name to know where it came from.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #7259659

Thanks for straightening me out. I just know it as "Seymour" and that I, too, end up with glasses of cuttings all over!!!! It does thrive on neglect at times if I'm tied up with treatments etc for Norm but I still couldn't think of home without it...
Poetinwood
Council Hill, OK

November 11, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #7261775

Thanks ever so much, I can't wait to try some now. Must be the grow binge I'm on right now. Odd time of year though, may be the dread of cold stuff.
thomas
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #7261860

Thomas, my dear...it will take over your house if you let it.
We had an ice storm last year, massive and terrible it was. My house was without heat for 10 days since we had no electricity within about a 20 mile radius. Maybe a bigger area than that. Anyway, I moved all my houseplants away from the windows and any possible draft, and during the days I boiled pots of water on my gas kitchen stove. I tried to keep the house above freezing, but had to leave at night.

At the end of those 10 days, when our electricity was restored, my houseplants survived, but that silly pothos flourished. Even those in the windows, the ones I forgot...the ones that I thought were frozen for sure...they just kept right on growing.

Trust me...it will live forever, it doesn't even care if you forget to water it for a week or two, but if you over water, its leaves will start turning yellow, so you'll know.

Enjoy!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Jungle in my House Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Laughing GardenGuyKin 19 Nov 9, 2009 7:44 PM
Houseplant Irony LariAnn 1 Nov 3, 2009 4:17 PM
12 step program for houseplant haters melody 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:16 PM
Aspidistra Hell! NEILMUIR1 1 Nov 3, 2009 11:48 PM
Can't throw away that little piece... zhinusmom 1 Nov 4, 2009 5:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America