Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Davdon
Wethersfield, CT

November 3, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7237989

I am thinking about injecting the Thanksgiving turkey this year with a marinade. I have never done it but I read it comes out very good. I normally brine the bird and the results are great. Has anyone done it and if so could you give me some help? Also, I read somewhere that most of the liquid comes out of the turkey durning cooking. Any thoughts on that and maybe some comparisons between injecting and brining.

Dave

This message was edited Nov 3, 2009 3:35 PM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2009
9:46 AM

Post #7239813

I have mixed up a bit of white wine with some garlic powder and injected my turkeys and chickens previously. They always come out wonderfully moist and with awsome flavor - you can definitely tell the difference.

Try it - you won't be sorry.
Davdon
Wethersfield, CT

November 5, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #7243928

Thanks Carolyn. Should I inject it right before I put it in the oven or do it the night before or just a couple of hours before?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #7245578

Dave

I inject it right before putting it into the oven, but I like your idea of injecting the bird several hours before and letting it sit. It would be like marinading the inside of the bird... I will have to try that.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #7246225

i used to inject the big bird. too much trouble since i perfected my brine recipe. when i inject, i do one or two nights before so the flavors do penetrate the turkey. i also shy away from injecting cuz bird tend to be dry, the very reason why i experiment and made perfect brine recipe. actually the 'recipe' was my grand mother that i improve to suit the present day cuisine.
Davdon
Wethersfield, CT

November 6, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7247340

MaVieRose,
Would you be willing to share your recipe? I have yet to get a good one that I really like.

Dave
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2009
4:27 AM

Post #7262196

Dave... i do not have a recipe. i guesstimate and marinate overnight the ff.: wine, garlic, soy sauce accdg to bird size. next day, i strain the garlic and inject the liquid in the bird.

it is much easier to brine than to go thru all the trouble of injecting, jmo.
Davdon
Wethersfield, CT

November 12, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #7267016

Thanks MaVieRose,
Other people also said it's easier to brine. I think I will just continue to brine. I guess why fix it if it's not broke.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #7272226

as previously mentioned, i used to inject meat. i stopped cuz it is too cumbersome to refill, unclog the needle, every now and then plus other things that get on the way like refilling. one other thing i do not like, the flavor is not even if some spots were not injected.

have u tried my brining recipe? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/160548/ it has been tested and improved thru the yrs.

good luck on ur holiday cooking.
Davdon
Wethersfield, CT

November 16, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #7280046

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America