Banded Wood Duck

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

My husband and a few friends went duck hunting this morning in Cheek Texas, close to China. There weren't many ducks flying this morning, but hubby brought home 1 green wing teal and a banded wood duck. This duck was banded July 30, 2009 from Kentucky. We appreciated him migrating to Southeast Texas.

This is the 3rd banded duck that my husband and I have shot. He's got 2 and I've got one. The last two, when registered we had to wait until the certificate came in to find out where they were from. It was neat to know right away where he flew in from.

I took several photos when he got home, and have dried the feathers to keep for crafts, etc. We ate them this evening and they were fantastic!

A slide show of the photos can be seen here.

The first photo was of a live wood duck that my daughter captured with my camera last year. The wood duck has to be the most beautiful of all ducks.... I know that is my opinion, but it oughta be yours!! :-)

Janet

http://www.uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/4422267#imageID=85361641

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Tell me, do you still have to report the banded birds to someone?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Pod,

There is a phone number and a website on the band. We did report the band and are now awaiting the certificate. I could have had them email it to me, but then I would have had to print it out myself and use my own ink.

I just want to add that I cooked both ducks the next night and while both were good eating, I prefered the taste of the wood duck to the teal. The teal tasted more "livery" to me. Hubby said he didn't notice that.

Janet

Interesting on the taste. How did you cook it?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I sliced up some boudain and put that against the breast. Then wrapped them in bacon. I baked them for about an hour on 350. I put 3 Tbsp each of Orange Marmalade and Gooseberry Jam into a small bowl and stirred it up. Microwaved it for about 25-30 seconds and then poured that over the breasts. The flavor of the boudain was absorbed by the duck. I didn't use any other seasonings, figuring the boudain had enough seasoning in it.

I'm not a go by the recipe kind of gal. Sometimes I look on line at the main ingredient and then get ideas from what I have on hand.

Sounds good. We had an elderly friend that would cut his duck breast across the grain and marinate in orange juice, then season and bake. That was tasty too.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

That sounds great. I've got 4 teal in the freezer now that I need to cook so I will try that. Do you know what he used to season them with?

I don't but I'd bet you can "wing it" with what seasonings you like. Sadly he has passed on and took that to the grave with him.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

[waybigo grin] There are few seasonings that I don't have. I'm always picking them up in the reduced baskets so I can try out new things, so I suppose I'm pretty doggone good at "winging" it. I'm always open to suggestions though when it comes to seasoning game.

Your friend may be gone on to that duck pond in the sky, but look at the wonderful memory he left you of his ducks. Cherish it! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images