Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Dianthus: Dianthus for 2010 - Anyone?

Communities > Forums > Dianthus
bookmark
Forum: DianthusReplies: 284, Views: 1,195
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7240474

Well, I brought several of my potted annuals into the house. Dianthus was one of them.

They have been doing ok so far and today I cut them back. They had bloomed but got a little spindly under the lights so it was time for a trim. Needed to clean their "mess" up! All summer long I cut them back and they came back blooming even more.

Guess time will tell if I "done them in"! Or how well they will continue to do under the lights in my office! They will probably eventually go dormant or die.

So what are your plans for 2010 with dianthus?

I plan to grow these again and also sweet williams.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 4, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #7241937

Do you know what kind of Dianthus is in your photo? I have one medium sized dianthus blooming in the yard right now. I'll take a photo tomorrow. I've tried growing carnations down here twice, but haven't had much luck. I get flowers eventually, but the stems all flop over. I have to constantly stake them in several places to get them to look ok. I've tried many different colors of Chabaud Giants, Stripes & Picotees, Peach Delight, Can Can Scarlet. Can Can Scarlet bloomed the best but it still required staking. Am I doing something wrong or are they just leggy plants?

Jon
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #7242794

Here are some of the flowers..ima guessing a picotee on all colors. I dont know thought and will have to see if I still have the labels. Picotee is generally the common sale items at the nurserys here and I got the starts at a nursery with the exception of a couple plants I got in trade, but they were similiar in type.

I am also beleiving mine got spindly after I moved them from outdoors to under my grow light indoors because they were prompted to reach for the light.

When they were outdoors this summer, they performed much better and did not seem to mind that occassional shearing down like the first photo. I suspect that the ones i have going now will die back and go doremant or die completely eventually as that is what a biennial will do. I dont think I can fake it out under extended hours of light for too long without more humidity and in a few weeks after turning the heat on in my house, the house becomes very dry. Right now, it is cool in temperature 55-65 degrees, maybe a wee bit warmern in the south room, but not by much. So those are my growing factors for you to compare.

I can post individual shots of the colors as we post more here. BUt here is the group!

I just love carnations, sweet william and dianthus. Cant get my fill of them!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #7242816

Here are some of the cuts off of todays trimming... the dark purple is a snapdragon to which I also sheared my house snaps down as they too got spindly and the orange in the middle is an impatien.

Now the snaps, they behaved better outside, liked to be sheared back and were just a low growing variety of NOID persuation. Had several colors and paid $2 a flat on a clearance of some pathetics that I saved most of their sorry necks from dying this spring and summer! LOL! Great buy, nice flowers after they recovered! (I love deals like that! They were not diseased, they just did not water them and they were pretty sorry looking in the flat, but not sorry enough to say dont buy me!)

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #7242832

Jon, Ima thinking too, the legginess is due to lacking some fertility.. but dont know what. Or maybe too much? Dont know and will check my nurserymans guide.

Here is a red...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7243023

Nice nice photos blossom. Awesome dianthus photo!!! I forgot to post one photo of my "Chabaud Giant" carnations from last year, before I gave up on them. As you can see I had to stake them everywhere. I was going to give up on Dianthus also because I couldnt get them to bloom over a long period of time. There are tons of dianthus available for purchase down here right now at Lowes and Home Depot. Dozens of the typical short ones with the small blooms. About a month ago I saw a larger one with 2-3 inch blooms so I just had to give it a try. These are big blooms for dianthus. I'll take a photo in the morning.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #7243211

Ok, on the carnations, my guide says that they do not tolerate the burning sun and hot days of summer so you cold be cooked before you start!

Seed can germinate in 10 days, but must be removed to cooler temps (50 degrees) as soon as they break the soil... They like moderate to low fertility! (Aaaah my kind of plant.. my soil is hiss poor!) Heat and high humidity will cause the plants to become some what grassy, I guess by that they mean leggy!

Seeds sown on November 1 should yeild flowering pots for Mothers day...and they suggest 4 plants to a 6 inch pot.

Aphids are a lothesome pest with them. Does that help? Its about all it has on them!

On the taller long stems, yeah, staking is probably going to be n a necessity.

------------------------

Here is another of my dianthus...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
5:24 AM

Post #7243226

Real nice long stems there Jon!

Now about those dianthus...

Annual dianthus are best used where summers are cool. Well, imagine that our summer was cool this year and mine did great! But in your neck of the woods they should do well as a winter annual. Lush growing conditions will cause the plants to become grassy (leggy)! They say full sun is necessary for compact plants.

Well anyway, the guide also says they should be fertilized lightly. I used Oscomote pellets and that worked fine although later in the season I was using chicken poo tea...dint seem to bother mine, but they are leggy now, but I thought that was because they were under the lights.. go figure!

It said nothing on cutting them back, but mine seemed to do great with a shearing about ever 2-3 weeks.

How they will do now in the house is anyones guess. I figure them to die on me or go dormant eventually and not see spring, but time will tell and who knows, if they go dornant, how well they will pop backl and when! I dont know!

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #7243468

The only two I have growing right now are "Sooty" and "Yellow Harmony" both perennial for me. I grew and LOVED "Flashing Lights". Thought it was a perennial but turns out it's biennal for me ...croaks right after it blooms.On the plus side,it's has tiny leaves,compact and low to the ground and when it blooms it is just covered w/ tiny bright ruby colored blooms on 2-3 tall stems that are just too cute.Make copious ammounts of seeds but even if I don't harvest them,I have yet have had any volunteer pop up. That could be me not reconizing them in a weeding frenzy.

I have seeds for more dianthus.I really need to get some sewn for next year's market.

The annual variety have always done well for me here in hot and humid zone 8.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #7243793

Thanks for the info on Carnations blossom. It all makes perfect sense and can relate to everything you mentioned. They did take a good six months to bloom from seed. I think the only reason I was getting summer blooms is because I had them in pots inside the screening around the pool. That screening filters about 30% of the suns rays. I can get quite a few things to grow in this area that will not grow in the yard. Even when I move things from inside the screening, into the yard, I have to be careful. Everything tends to wilt and struggle for a couple of days.

Here's a picture of my "Super Parfait Raspberry" Dianthus this morning. The blooms are 2-3 inches in diameter. The rain last night made them look a bit ragged this morning.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #7243955

I want to try "sooty" and the yellow harmony, but cannot find plants!

I love the long stemmed carnations, but dont have the place or the patience right now for "florist: quality while I drool looking at them all the time!

JON!! WOW 2-3" eh? Mine are lucky to be a half inch to an inch! Those sound more like carnations than dianthus!

Here is a lovely dianthus specimen DIRTYGIRL71 sent me. Dont know the variety but it was gorgeous!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #7244082

Yes, "Super Parfait Raspberry" has huge blooms compared to most dianthus. The large bloom size is what attracted me to them and made me decide to give dianthus another try. I've only had them a month, but so far so good and they keep blooming. I looked up Sooty and Yellow Harmony and they're both nice and very different. I only see them available as seed right now online.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #7244111

Well, red is good for different! Her and I go waaaaay back!

Heres was another of my pinks...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #7244115

That's a nice bright pink. I was thinking of a couple others I tried, but didn't have success. They were "Chomley Farran" and "Arctic Fire".
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #7244146

another pink...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #7244169

I guess you DO like dianthus!!! You'd freak out if you saw all the dianthus available down here. They also have them in good supply in May/June, but I can't see them doing well down here in the summer. My brother, over in Sarasota, FL has planted some. He's very new to gardening (3 months) so it will be interesting to see if they do well for him. I just remembered another Carnation plant I bought this past St Patricks Day that was very very cool named "Adorable Jade". It had light green blooms. It really did bloom with green blooms. It lasted about 3 months then the heat got it!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #7244248

Im a certified florist...so I like playing with carnations! We would spray them green for Irish day or other colors that they normally would not come in! Just wished I had my own shop sometimes! So thats why I garden

Heres some of my 2009 babies earlier inthe year year...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #7244287

Nice. I like floral arrangements and being able to bring the flowers inside. I tend to lean toward taller/longer stemmed flowers. I would guess 75% of the flowers in the yard would be classified as "cut flowers". I'm giving some warmer climate flower bulbs a try this winter to see how they do here. I'm hoping for some/enough success to have made it worthwhile.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7244490

This is one of my favorite dianthus

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #7244898

That's a nice one. I'll have to go look them over again next time I go plant hunting.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #7244928

That one has a nice spice aroma. I think its called old spice or something of that nature.

I think I am out of dianthus'...

So that leaves us on Sweet williams and carnations.. I dont have any carnations.. so heres my sweet willies!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #7244933

Yep, all the carnations I previuosly grew had a spice fragrance. I think that is pretty common.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #7244938

Here's a bouquet I had made with my Chabaud Giant carnations. Very spicy/clove smelling.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #7244940

I love all of your dianthus! Or would they be dianthii ?? Just kidding! It is my favorite flower. Do you bring them inside because you are a florist? Mine come back every year.

This is a picture of one kind I have. It didn't have a stick, and the color isn't right in the picture, it's a deep red. I bought them in late June and they're still blooming. The weird thing is, it's the same flower. Been alive since then.

Or are you talking about a different kind of dianthus?

Thumbnail by smileymom343

smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #7244945

Yes, pardon me. An awful picture, way over exposed.

Your vase is very pretty.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #7244951

Thanks and that's a nice photo smiley. I think were talking about both dianthus and carnations. They're basically the same thing as they come from the same family. Carnations are also referred to as dianthus.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #7244990

Smiley, I brought themin because I had planted up some containers. I fured may as well enjoy them as long as I could. So they are under lights in my office.

Nothing wrond with that photo either! LOL! Gads, you should see someof mine. I cannot get the hang of close ups and I seem to shake the cam when I click.. Dang arther!

Anyway OMG! Jon, those are lovely! Too bad we all dont have smell-o-vision!

That sweet willie was a baby that never did bloom. Was its first year I guess!!

Here is a white...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #7245006

Well, now I am out...no more photos for a bit. I need to check my seeds and see what I will be sowing here.

Oh, I had sooty.. but I killed it.. dang it! Tried starting it by seed to no availe...! SHUCKS!

smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #7245020

Ooh, that is really nice! I have white ones too, but they're not as bushy. Thinner leaves, but probably a foot tall. I noticed this year the centers are slightly pale pink.

My white pinks have pink in them!! ha ha!!

Did I inadvertently stumble on some new dianthus buddies? They are absolutely my favorite!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #7245082

oh shoot did you mention PINK! I forgot! Some also are refered to as pinks! Her is my pink on the prairie...this particular one is a wildflower!

Well, meanwhile back at the ranch, I think I am gonna head for the petunia patch...I have to log some photos there...anyone game?

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #7252503

Haven't been able to get on-line for a couple days so I've been playing in the GH. I did sew some dianthus seeds yesterday:Flashing Lights,Amazon Neon Rose and Purple. Need to do some Sooty too.

amore,
you found seeds for Chomley Farran? Where? Enquiring minds MUST know! I've been looking for seeds for 3-4 yrs now...and ...Oh Great! Now I'm gonna have to google for Adorable Jade seeds...ENABLER...LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #7253158

Thar she goes! Off on another tangent! You go girl! But C'mon back and show us da bloomers eh!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2009
10:34 AM

Post #7255288

ya know me to well
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #7255477

Like da back of my puter!! LOL! So...
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #7255659

all covered with dust bunnies
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #7255832

Like da back of my frigde! LOL! 42 years of them! LOL! heheheeheeeeeee!

Soz now what?
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2009
10:28 AM

Post #7259155

I don't want to know what's behind and under my frig...might find Hoffa...LOL

Now what,what?

I'm sorting thur my seeds to see what I want to sew next month. Think I'll start with aquilgeia,poppies and primula.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #7259426

I wanna see those.. got any threads...I jhave not don primulas in a long time.

Im packing seed today too. Gotta water the thirsty monsters in the house and probably cut the begonias AGAIN! Dang that seems like every 2 weeks that has to go on! Guess I will be offering cuttings up again...

Ugh, yea Hoffa...maybe a few others too! LOL! I can tell ya one thing, he wernt unner mine! But I think a relative or two was...but theys gone now. YOu know what they say about 3 days and fish yano!

Soz, ya gonna show those fansy dianthi?
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #7259458

I'll post threads when I get back from exercise class. Gotta go bath and put on fresh underpinnings to go work up a sweat...????...LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #7259699

Pilates huh? Dont forget the cake! Its IN not behind da refrigerator! LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 15, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #7277415

Here's a better picture, from this evening, of Dianthus "Super Parfait Raspberry". These are larger Dianthus about 6" in height and 2-3" blooms.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #7277561

Those are beautiful Jon. Such huge blossoms! Im contemplating an order of seed. 1 lb of sweet willies - $21...but they are the smaller barbatus.

Now will yours seed well?
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #7277636

Thanks blossom. I've never tried "Sweet Williams" or Dianthus from seed before. I had given up after having limited success with growing "Chabaud Giant" Carnations from seed. The Carnations took soooooo long to grow from seed. I've never attempted to collect seeds from Dianthus either. I usually kill them before even thinking about it. LOL The only reason I bought these dianthus, as plants, was because they are larger and very showy. These ones have been fantastic. Do Dianthus and Sweet Williams grow fast from seed?

Jon

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #7277901

Sweet willies are a biennial.. so 2 years to flower, but worth it as far as I am concerned. I am soo seriously thinking of naturalizing an area... I have a wild pink that grows everywhere in my prairie and so I ama thinking the willies will do well out there too. It would be a great addition to the liatris, yarro,coreopsis, mikweed, gaillardeas and other neat things out there. As far as the dianthus, I do not think that would naturalize...never heard of anyone doing it that way.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #7278095

I ran across a 2010 seed pack of Burpee's Sweet William "Tall Double Flowered Mix" in my seed box this evening. I must have bought it at Home Depot back in October. All the 2010 seed packs came out in Florida in October. Every October I'll raid Home Depot and Lowes and just start buying all the new seed packs that are dated for the following year. You can never have enough seed packs around the house, I guess. It always gives you something you can do if you get bored.

I was wondering if any of you grow the annual types of tropical vinca? It grows and blooms in around 60 days from seed. I've always wondered why you see it everywhere down here in the summer, but I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere up North. Here's a photo of Vinca "Pacifica Burgundy Halo" that I grew here this summer...just in case someone isn't familiar with tropical type vincas.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #7280670

Well, Jon, get those willies in a pot, or patch!! You will love them!

OoooOOh! That vinca is stunning.. first time I have ever seen it. "DROOOOL!~ *gimme*!, It probably would not do well though in my zone.. ??? Oh but I can see it in a basket now! Oh so lovely!

I saw a vine at a resturaunt that I would love to also acquire.. its a large varagaited leaf, looks like a vinca from a distance but not sure as it s leaves look almost the size of a quarter, maybe larger, but very lovely, nice cascade for a pot... I need to go tak a pic of it and look for it. (Im a afraid if I get close to it I am liable to steal a pinch!!!)

Does that vinca of yours do cuttings ok?
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2009
4:25 AM

Post #7281356

I have no idea why people don't grow tropical vinca up North in the summer. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't do well. There's two tropical vinca plants in this picture I took on Nov 5. They are the two large pink/lavender colored plants in the background on the left. They kind of remind me on impatiens except they get taller (up to 6 inches) and have much larger blooms (2-3 inches). They also are used in hanging basket and they sprawl over the edges very quickly. I've never tried them from cuttings, so I'm not sure how they would do. You can buy the plants for about 50 cents down here, so I usually buy them. The "Pacifica Burgundy Halo" was the 2008 All American Selections new plant of the year winner. I grew it from seed to first blooms in about 50 days. It grows VERY fast from seed.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #7281381

Oh, they probably do up here Jon, but I for one have not seen any colored varieties.. but then, yano, I really have not looked!

Today I noticed in GEO's that they carried seed for the Pacifica series.. colors are burgandy halo, apricot,, cherry red, cranberry, dark red, lilac, magenta, raspberry, pink, polka dot and a few others...

Lovely garden you have there BTW!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #7281404

Thanks Blossom. Believe it, or not, those vinca plants are only 3 months old from seed. When I was at my parents in NY State this summer, I made it a point to look for them at nurseries. I did not see one of them anywhere, which baffled me. The "Pacifica Series" is my favorite, by far. I like the Burgundy Halo the best because it is two colored and really stands out compared to the solids/near solids.

Jon
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
5:12 AM

Post #7281456

Do you get Geos?
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #7282045

I'd never heard of Geos until you mentioned it. I've run across many professional growers websites, but never ordered catalogs because I assumed they wouldn't send them to me.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7282897

Never know unless you ask.. Many pros will help a new business... Its how they grow too!

Well, looks like the dianthus in the houseoffice are starting to get staulks to bloom again. Im gonna have to remember to put some fertilizer pellets in those. (Oscomote...)!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #7282976

That's true. I was amazed one day when Stokes Seeds called me from New York to see if I was happy with their service. They also inquired on if there was anything new that they should carry. That's pretty personal customer service.

Get those dianthus goin again Blossom. I was admiring some dianthus I saw at a nursery down here this morning. They were kind of midsized dianthus with 4-6 inch stems. Very different looking.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #7283166

Oops. I confused my companies. Harris Seed was the one that called me from NY State. My mistake.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2009
7:28 AM

Post #7285533

Follow up in business is a good thing! Personally whether the feedback is good or bad, the good companies want to know. If they find its a major numerous complaint versus just one person complaining, they will do something to change the service or discontinue or continue or get in a newbie.

One person just griping on anything and everything may just be one of those unhappy people that no matter what you do, you will never satisfy them and you could die trying!

Thats not to say that one person though cannot make a difference in voicing any opinion when a complaint is totally legit though, because one person has been known to make a difference in many a company!

------------------
Just watered the dianthus. Tomorrow I have fertilizer for them...

I am finding the conditions in the house are changing as the weather outside becomes colder. As the house now starts to also cool down, some of the the plants are staying too cold and damp for too long. I lost 3 impatien cuttings, 2 coleus cuttings and a wax begonia to rot.

Today I had to run the space heaters. I am not on full service with the central heating yet.

So far, though the dianthus are perky and happy! I need to water more sparingly and let things dry out some on some plants.

I did notice some of the pansys in the laundryroom are really unhappy. I beleive I overwatered them and lost a few to that. Now I wished I put them in seperate pots to put them in the GPS...I think its too late to kick them back outside.. I am afraid either way on them will be a losing battle to get them to survive.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #7285690

Harris is waaaay to high. I just started using Geo a couple months ago for my pansies,viola and snaps. I just compared their prices w/ Park and Germania...more seeds at a better price on most vareties.

I have a bunch of unhappy african violets...powdery mildew and everytime I think about spraying them,I'm running out the door or falling asleep for the night.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 18, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #7285958

I agree that Harris Seeds prices are too high. I can't remember what it was that I ordered from them. It was something new and they were the only people carrying it, at that time. I told him, on the phone, that I ordered it because they were the only company selling the seeds. I also mentioned that I thought the prices were a bit high and that I wished they carried more individual smaller sized seed packs.

Just don't water them for a bit Blossom and see what happens. Perhaps you could put a fan in that area and maybe some air circulation would help them dry out a bit faster.

Jon
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #7287904

Will do!
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 26, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #7310057

I always grow the "annual" ones! I have 6 in a little clump in a pea gravel bed mixed with california poppies, Cosmic Cosmos, and Hens n' Chicks! They(Dianthus) have comeback for 2 years.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 26, 2009
10:30 AM

Post #7311072

I sewed some more dianthus a week or so ago. All are up now. I need sew some "Sooty". That one and d.knappi are the only ones to have been perennial for me,haing lived more than 4-5 years for me now.

I moved my original d.knappi to neighbors yard when I deleted the flowerbed it was in and she killed it.Luckily I have more in the greenhouse and started seeds received last year in trade. Interested to see what they will look like in bloom since the foliage is different from the one I already have.
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 26, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #7311198

SOOTY? Is that black? Any available for trade?
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2009
11:13 AM

Post #7313243

Yes,Sooty's "black" and sorry I just traded away my last spare. Only have a few left I'm going to sew today.
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #7313343

Ohhh... I will d-mail next fall, OK?
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #7313435

I have plants in the yard that will bloom in the spring but don't count on my memory to remember and email you,I suffer from "Sum Timers" disease*G* Better make a note to holler back at me some time in early summer.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #7313708

Looks like my dianthus in the office is gonna bloom...
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #7314770

Did you post a pic of that? And could you post one when it does?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #7314861

I just cut them back a short while ago.. here is my big pot of one...

I also have a couple snaps in pots under lights in the office too and they are getting heads now also. They are not very big buds yet and enither are the dianthus.. They both have been in the house almost 6 weeks along with some coleus, a petunia, some allysum and a few others I had in pots this summer. The petunia is blooming its third flower now!

This dianthus plant is in about an 8 inch tall pot and the plant is about 8 inches tall.. its up into my light. I need a taller plant stand It is a wee leggy but it is about to get buds.

Sorry the pic is not the greatest I wanted to show you where it was growing without moving it. I need to fertilize it. After it blooms I will cut it back again and pick the dead leaves from the previous shearing. I guess I forgot to do that when I chopped it back the last time! I notice the shearings from the last snip are in the plants base and are brown! Just when you think you got them all! Not!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #7314922

Here are a couple more.. to the left upper corner is a snap. To the lower right is an impatien ANd the rest are dianthus.. the yellow pots are 6".

Few more days and they should bloom.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 28, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #7315379

I'm confused Blossom. How are you getting blooms while the plants are inside? Are they just by a window or are they under a growing light? You may have mentioned it before, but I forgot.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #7315435

The plants are under lights now and indoors. They were outside in the summer! I brought them in before the weather outdoors would have done most in. The plants I have under my lights indoors in my office and livingroom are plants that normally would be dead by now in my zone if left outdoors. I am hoping to get them through until spring.

I doubt most will make it because as annuals eventually they will shut down no matter what the weather as their normal growing season length probably will tell them ok, we are through. I genuinely do not think I will be able to "trick" all these plants into extending their natural annual growing season for a whole lot longer. Time will tell. As there are some annuals that will behave like perennials if given the right conditions. Snap dragons, some begonias, coleus and some impatiens can go for a pretty long time.

Oh and right now, we finally did turn the heat on in the house.. so now the conditions have changed again for them.. And no, they are not gettign misted and the humidity in this house is very poor. The only thing going like a real summer is the time the lights are on.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 28, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #7315539

Thanks Blossom. Yeah I was also thinking it would be pretty tough to extend an annual to act like a perennial inside the house. At least you're giving it your best shot and it keeps you gardening during untypical months. The ones that you have had success with all make perfect sense. I've seen that Geraniums are also quite easy to overwinter inside up North. My mama has a few Geraniums that are 5 years old. There truly are some annuals that are perennials here in Florida. It all comes down to whether they can survive through the extended summer heat down here. Most of them don't, so we grow them during the cooler months of Oct-April as annuals. A couple of things, I have, that do survive and act as perennials here are Marigolds, Gazanias and Gerbera Daisies. I had some Osteospermums (African Daisies) make it through this summer for the first time. They were in a "morning sun only" area outside and that's most likely why they made it.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #7316034

Well, I think its a daylight thing too. They have to have the extended hours of light. I wil have to check what my timers are on for them.. I plugged them in and never really gave the exact hours a thought, but I know they are on a long day! So far so good.. though. But I am betting they will succumb to the dry heat eventually.

Yes, gernaiums are one that do well and act perennial down south. They are natives to Mexico and wiill get huge.

Here we can try to store them or leave them in pots. I did not do any last year so might give them a go this year. You can take cuttings off of them as well. I like doing cuttings..I have done them in the house under lights to extend their season and have had luck in our old house. Have not tried them here though.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 28, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #7316117

My mom puts the geraniums on the windowsill in the kitchen. They just receive light through the window and do fine in that spot. They usually bloom, somewhat, all winter. You'd be surprised to know that most geraniums don't make it through the summer down here. The intense/high sun usually gets them in June. There are also many perennials, in your zone, that are annuals here. A couple that come to mind are most Gaillardia, Salvia. There are many more, but I just can't think right now. I guess that's natures way of evening things out and giving none of us an advantage over other growing zones. LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #7327502

I do gaillardias out on the prairie and they grow great there. Getting quite a colony out there of many many colors! If I get any Gaillardias, Rudbeckias or blackeyed susans, they all go out in the prairie for naturalization.

I was checking my seed and I have some salvia.. hmmm I wonder if I should do some in 2010.

Patty sent me some Dianthus seed.. I received Sooty, Amazon Neon Rose, Deltiodes microchips, Amazon Neon Purple and chineses. Thanks P! Gonna have to mark my calender for their sowing dates.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
6:43 AM

Post #7327521

Oops almost forgot, here is one of my dianthus blooming now in my office! I do not know what variety it is, other thann its very pretty!

Also, I started a poinsetta thread in the Perennial forum if anyone is up to it.

Got my paperwhites started too, they are already an inch tall! Do you do any bulbs in Florida Jon? I would not think you could since you do not have the deep freeze like we get.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7327987

Nice dianthus bloom to add some winter color inside your office. Very very nice indeed. I think you should try one or two Salvias, just for some variety. We all tend to stick with our favorite flowers. Nowadays I like to try quite a few different things in the winter to keep it interesting. If you limit it to just a couple containers, you can try many different things without taking up too much space. I think I'm trying about 10 different new flowers right now, but have limited it to no more than 3 or 4 of each. If I really like it, and it does well, I can grow more of them next year.

There are many different bulbs you can try in Florida that would have to dig up, each fall, in colder zones. There are also some Northern type bulbs that have specific varieties that do better in warmer climates. You just have to search around and discover them. I'm trying quite a few bulbs this winter and most of them came from www.easytogrowbulbs.com. I have Narcissus "Grand Soleil D'or" which is hardy in Zones 8-10. The "Watsonia", "Sparaxis" and "Tecolote Ranunculus" bulbs have already popped out of the ground. I still have to plant the "Anemone" and "Dutch Iris" bulbs. Other than the "Dutch Iris", these are all bulbs that are hardy for zones 8-10. I chose "Watsonias" because its related to a Gladiola, and each bulb produces several 4-6 foot tall flower spikes. Someone told me that "Ranunculus" do great for them in South Texas, so decided to try those also. I've have good performance from prior things ordered from easytogrowbulbs, so decided to try things new to me. They have quite a few things I had never heard of before.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7328190

I have a rather large bulb border on one of my beds. It is a mixture of mant spring bulbs, mostly daffodils and narcissus, some hyacinth, all kinds doubles, singles. There are prbably thousands of bulbs all planted in nursery cans that are below the ground to help located them when it is time to lift the, The cans keep the critters away.

Yes, I think I will try a container of salvia... I am doing lotsof container plants again in the new year so that could be another. Its been awhile since I have had any. I have the perennial May Night and it is lovely. Just wished I had more of it in a large mass. Wil have to take cuttings and make some!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #7328223

LOL. You motivated me to go soak my Anemone flower bulbs, for a couple of hours, and plant them in a container. They only need to be spaced 1-2 inches apart in a container, so a small container will do.

That "May Night" Salvia looks nice with its violet/purple blooms. Perhaps you can try the "Hotline Series" of Salvias. They start blooming pretty quickly from seed at approx 8 weeks. I currently have 3 Salvias named "Wild Thing", "Flare" and "Guaranitica Black & Blue".

Jon

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7330462

just got dianthus "Flashing Lights"! I wonder what that looks like!

And a dwarf mexican sunny!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 3, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #7330506

LOL. Don't make me look it up. You know I did!! Flashing Lights is a 6" tall bright bright red.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #7330858

Flashing Lights is an adorable little dianthus. Leaves are tiny,stay right on the ground in a tight clu*p. Bright red but not pri*ary red as I can see the blue in the but not burgundy or *aroon either. They are held high above the foliage on ste*s of about 3-4 inches. Just adoable. Only thing I can co*plain about are that they are biennal for *e and die as soon as theyre done bloo*ing so I always harvest seeds.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 3, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #7331016

At least you can grow them, and see them bloom as biennials Patty. Biennials never seem to make it past year one down here. I do have some Canterbury Bells that made it all the way through last summer and are still alive. I'm hoping and prayin they will bloom this coming spring. Fingers crossed.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #7331083

Verbascu*s are a pill for *e. I grew oenother fre*ontiisp looks off)Blood Orange fro* seed this year...waited and wated for bloo*s and never got any even though I saw what looked like buds during the su**er.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 3, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #7331132

That sucks. That's why I'm cautiously optimistic about Canterbury Bells.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7331426

Well, time will tell, I cant wait to start that dianthus.. Gads I am starting a pile of things this season...

Looks like you sent Red Texas star and Double white datura. I dont do daturas so I will offer that out,,,dont know what the texas bloom looks like.

Had canturberry bells, dont no more. The grass ate them
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #7333039

Yeah... Grass ate my Canturbury bells last time I grew them(3 years ago). I planted some this summer in a shady, sheltered place and several are developing normally...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #7333448

Is everyone doing ok on the length of this thread? LMK if I should start part 2

Well, looks like I got another dianthus bloomer in the office... that dianthus pot is a mixed bag...

If you go to my trade list... which is now doubling as my journal because I cant be all places at once... it has a plant search thingee on it specifically for my list. you put the name of the plant your looking for in it and click search and it will tell you if I have it...

Search dianthus and you will see all my babies of it there photos etc and descriptions.. as far as trading, please read the note at the beginning of the trade list.. I will update things as I can.

I gotta warn you though.. my trading right now is waaaay behind and so is the list as I am posting many pix right now of things from 2009 etc.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 4, 2009

Post #7333470

I was thinkin of you today Blossom. After my haircut I stopped at one of the larger Lowes in Ft Lauderdale. Everything was well stocked for the weekend. Lots and lots of dianthus. Only bought one plant...an "Asti Purple" Osteospermum (African Daisy).
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2009
12:19 PM

Post #7334066

I had to go to Lowes for peat last night. Except their newest stock...which wasn't much...everything looked dismal...dismil?Danggit! I hate that the Geek Squard disappeared my spell check when they cleaned out the viruses.

Didn't get the new keyboard(luckily working this am) because the crowds were horrible. I'll limp along until after xmas.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #7334113

We dont have Lowes or Home Depots here.. Im stuck with Wallywherl unless I leave the territory too.. I dont like going to the big box stores andif I travel I go to other nursery places.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #7334145

Well...if I want GH supplies I have to travel like 60-70 miles round trip.We have super Wally World but they still don't have jack.

Got the kids their 2009 ornaments. Some really cute ones. Have the one grandson but they putting out some cute stuff for guys now so I got him a box of 4 glass globes that look like basketballs. He probably doesn't appreciated them at 16 but will when his older and I'm gone and he can say my Mimi got me these.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2009 12:33 PM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #7334167

Awwww ! Best Im doing for Christmas is Im thinking of getting my oldest boy a new halter. If I die afore him, I will send him to you so you ken straighten is keester out! Hill be 21 soon and still biting the hands that feed him...lard knows I tried.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #7334181

So he's food aggressive. 've never had that problem with mine. I sat with them as pups at feeding time pet and talking to them and would remove there food if they growled. They mumble at each other when eating but I just give them a verbal warning and they settle down.

OOPS! Way OT
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #7334197

Only on the furst bite then he gets popped in the mouth. My other two boys come up right. Gotta be one in every croud yano.

Now my girls, they is sumthin else. most of the time they are very nas and well behaved. Wull 'cept fer Jo, shes has some issues.. I think ima gonna have ta get her some Depends for Christmas.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #7334213

My older female use to bite when we fed her snacks...not a mean bit but a "let me get this before one of the other guts get it" so I don't hand out snacks unless everyone is in a calm state. Feeding during an excited state says to a dogs brain "if I act like a spaz,I get fed" so we want a state of mind that says" if I sit politely and quitely,I get a treat". Too many pet owners give treats without them being earned then can't imagine why their pets act the way they do.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #7334229

My old man, hill bite too, but give him a slab o pork and taters and hes good to go! Wull unless I fergit his sauce. Gotta have that old hickory on it.Loves his honey with it too. Just kent figure out why he likes peanut butter on his pizza though now thats weird!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #7334354

is he pregnant?...LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #7334559

Who? 6"2"? Nah, just got one of them fetishes yano...

Just like me, chocolate and OJ.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7343221

Ok, just found the dianthus to die for.. its called SIBERIAN BLUES
aka dianthus amurensis

DEAR SANTA,

Talk about being naughty and nice,
you been a reallllly baaaad boy
missing me all these years...hand
them over and
NO ONE GETS HURT!

YOU HEARD ME
TOY BOY,

LOAD UP THAT
DANGED SLEIGH
FULLLLLLLL
AND
BE QUICK ABOUT IT!

Amen, love Blossom!

PS _ And I aint leaving you no cookies and moo ever again until I get them.

So there, nah NAH.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #7343273

I didn't know Santa grew plants at the North Pole. LOL I guess he grows em in the house like you do, in the winter Blossom. Too funny.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7343371

its the kid in me! LOL!

Rebecca tol me there was a Santa Claws so I thought I better write him!

She said he had a summer house in Greenland!! LOL!

Besides that I lost about 6 house annuals today and need replacements! Im in mourning! Couple of my alysumms and a couple snaps look like they are done. I knew it it was too good to last too long.. Whimper...
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #7343546

I'm sorry to hear about your losses Blossom. I'm sure you did everything humanly possible to save them babies. I have a hard time saving my babies that end up on the "Intensive care plant table". All it will take is a couple of nice blooms and you'll perk right up again.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #7344065

I ordered dianthus Idea Violet from SHS because in their picture it looks purple but I just found it in Park Seed catalog and it looks more dark pink...I gotta a feeling I'm gonna be TICKED!

I had Siberian Blue at one time but like most dianthus for me,they're more biennal or short lived perennials.

Had Tiny Rubies in the rock garden for about 3 yrs before it pooped out on me. I should have propagated it so it would still be around but it was back in the days when I beleive it when the label said"perennial".It was a little darling. Need to get some more.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #7344173

I know what you mean about the photos of blooms you see in catalogs and with inline sites. Personally, I try to find several photos of it, if possible, by googleing it. If it's rare or really new that may not be possible.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #7344271

yeah,I'm going to have to"bing" the dianthus and the Vinca First Kiss Blueberry as I purchased both because of SHS pictures so now I'm suspect of what color the vinca might actually be.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #7344289

I have Vinca "First Kiss Blueberry" seeds,but am waiting until next spring to try them. I'm pretty sure they will not be as dark as what seed catalogs are depicting. I'll bet they'll be more of a dark pink/lavender color based on seeing photos of it in trial gardens.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #7344295

Just "binged" it...ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!!! I'm gonna quit trusting catalog pictures!!!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #7345216

Nothing like the brochure.. I hate that too.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7345350

I've learned to expect that now. If anything looks too good to be true, ya gotta do some cross referencing for photos/information.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #7345918

I hate it, but have learned to expect it too because there is nothing like seeing the real thing to make for the final opinion.two dimensions versus three.. hmmm.. different perspectives and being an avid photographer, I know all pictures are not perfect!

Nothing like seeng a field trialed plant vs a brochure!

Blue, purple and yellow seem to be the most difficult hues to get correctly, but then that may just be my camera. And brochures fade or are often too intense on true color.

Blue is one of the most mystifying colors in nature.

I learned on thing.. that Ozenda orange mum I got, well, I was sure the plants were mislabeled, but what I did not know was the color onthe label was correct, it was just not correct in the color stage too that the actual plant was in. The label said nothing about the color being yellow at day of opeing bloom. The color was yellow on that day, but latter the color went to the orange. SO.. ok, whuda thunk!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #7345940

That's very true about capturing the coloration at just the right time in a photo. Some flower blooms can change pretty dramatically after the first few hours. I see that all the time with echinacea, hybrid hibiscus, morning glories, some bearded iris, etc, etc.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7346562

Well Jon, I got the dianthus Arctic Fire and the carnation mix Chabaud from you today! Awesome!

You are going to have to share your secrets on how to do the carnations here!

I am going to be very busy logging in my planting dates to get a lot of variety going this year! Thanx!
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 8, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7346638

Blossom, I totally agree. Blue, purple and yellow are the hardest to get right. I had quite a bit of difficulty with trying to get a pic of Datura stratamontium var. Tatula this year. The slight lavender stripes are hard to get in focus, lol!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 8, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #7347461

Here's what my "Chabaud Giant" carnations looked like in 2008. They may be a biennial where you are. They took very long to bloom from seed here. I would guess it was around 150-180 days. I'm gonna be honest with ya. They were pretty high maintenance for me. They produced quite a few spicy scented blooms but the stems were floppy and I constantly had to stake everything to make them appear upright. Perhaps my soil and/or ph was not quite right???? Not sure.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #7352005

Dont know! You were supposed to tell me! LOL! I want to avoid leggy carnation stems!
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #7353860

Gorgeous Carnations... I bought some Chaubad Red... hope it will be good!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 10, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #7353925

They're just floppy. Its this full compact plant with these tall sturdy stems. Unfortunately the stems don't seem to be strong at the base. I'm wondering if there's anyone out there that grows them with upright sturdy stems, and how they do it???
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #7353962

As I recall in my hort training, when we planted the carnations in the GH we had to string them up. I would think that it is a fertility issue or the plant just does not have the strength to hold its head up so that was why we tied them. There are other varieties of more sturdienss in the stem that are grown for florists, but they more than likely are commercial varieties not available to the backyard gardener. Most flowers grown for commercial cutting are not raised in this country.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 10, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #7354025

Yeah, I know. From around 2000-2003 I lived, part of the year, in The Netherlands. On one occasion my landlord took me to the flower market, in the wee hours of the morning. This is where the cut flowers were purchased and immediately put onto planes and flown all over the world. They sure do grow tons of flowers in The Netherlands, and its just not tulips. Speaking of tulips, you could buy 100 fresh cut tulips from around Feb-April for no more than $8.00. Now that's a good deal.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #7354029

My house dianthus are leggy.. I just started them on THRIVE so we shall see if ther is any difference!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 10, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #7354041

Hope so Blossom. If that doesn't work, perhaps a couple of pinches may help them fill in.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009

Post #7354144

They are getting due.. they just put out a little bloom.. nothing fantastic, but a little! WIll pinch them in a week or so...
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 10, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #7354155

That's alright. A little dianthus when there's snow outside is a good thing. At least, after 2 years, I finally figured out when to have dianthus in the yard. It's a winter winter winter thing. Makes me wonder why I sometimes see them for sale in early summer. They don't work out at that time of the year here.

Way too hot here today. A record high of 87 degrees. Not what I want in December.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #7388232

Well we are running around barefoot in the snow! Whooohoo! Polarbearefooting! Love it! The first snows are always the best for that!

87 degrees does not thrill me a bit. Sounds like too much sweat!
E-YECK!

Jon, after watching FL's weather for the last week.. and after what you say about all the lightening there, There aint no way this two legged lightning attractor woud be caught dead in that state! No no no! Not gonna happen. I knew there was another reason why I never wanted to go there.. just could never put my finger on it until today! Nope, Im not going to go there just to get Zapped. Been zapped enough up here!

Well, dianthus fans.. Merry Christmas!

Heres my December in house blooms!

DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #7389082

Beautiful pic of Dianthus... A great refresher from the whiteness of Winter!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 22, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #7390999

LOL Blossom. I'm freezing my butt off in NY State right now. I like it for a few days, but can't deal with it all winter long. I'd get bored out of my mind when you can't do anything outside for 4-6 months. The lightning thing if FL is only during the summer, for the mostpart.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #7391135

Only takes once with a real gooooood BAD tickle with lightning.. Been there done that! Escaped that one barely.. and did feel the heat and sparks and burn. Want nuthing to do with getting any more. ...Had some minor burns and 12 times almost hit in a none lightning zone... hmmm no way is this kid going to a known zone!... But wow I was energized for days! Nope not going there! Not playing with fire. NAH ah! Besides that at above 70, that is a tad warm for me.. I would not do well in Florida. Been to New York and hate the east coast. So no real estate brochures from that side either. Nope not gonna happen. Been thinking about Australlia though. I think me and the roos would get along fine!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 25, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #7398061

I'm from NY But I wouldn't consider it the east coast. It's just a small town in the middle of the state. The back yard is woods and critters. I don't go outside in FL when there's lightning. It's just not a good idea. Almost all the lightning is between May-Sept.

I guess we're just both happy where we are right now Blossom. That's all that matters, right?

Jon
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7398078

Well, jon, im gonna agree with ya there!

Right now I am enjoying a most peaceful Christmas.. the grass is green! The house is warm, our bellies are full and the snow and ice melted, the critters are snug in their shelter, the dog and the hub are curled up content snoozing, Chritsmas songs playing low on the radio and thats all I can ask for. And nothing more...All to the tune of OHoly Night.

Well maybe there is one thing I could ask and that is that if every day could be this way. Utterly PEACEFUL. Thaaat would be glorious.

Well, Peace on Earth, Good will toward ALL!

Would it be nice if this crazy world could take the Spirit of Christmas beyond the seasonal cease fires and hustle and bustle and we all could have pure harmony every day of the year in every corner of this big ole world??

You and yours and EVERYONE have a very nice one! Beyond the day and into the New Year.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 26, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #7399533

Amen Blossom. Simple things and peaceful times are a very good thing. My parents home was full of 9 people and one dog for Christmas and all went well. Had a nice meal and slept if off by the fireplace. It was a white Christmas with just a couple inches of snow on the ground. Had a call from back home in Florida telling me all the plants are well watered and doing good. Good to hear y'all been getting some nice December blooms on your "inside" flowers. Very good thing!!!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2009
12:00 PM

Post #7401265

It's cold all this week. I was hoping to get out in the yard a bit but anything under 55 is too cold for me. So I'll play with the housplants. Looks like my candycorn vine has buds on it and I'm waiting on some very fat seed pods from one of my epsicias(that doesn't look right...Flame Violet) to "come on ALready"...they've been growing fat since late summer early fall. Geesh! Worst than the last 3-4 weeks of a pregnacy..waiting...waiting...Waiting!

Had a few flakes of snow Christmas Eve but not much and none stuck.

My DD and her kids couldn't get here for Christmas because her eldest couldn't get off so Christmas with them will be this coming weekend. We'll do the black-eyed peas,cabbage and corn beard for good luck for the new year. I'll make a big pot of chicken and dumplings for the kids.

Poppies and dianthus from early Dec. sowing sprouting in the greenhouse.

P

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 27, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #7402342

Sounds nice Patty. Nice to hear you've got some seeds popping in the greenhouse already. You're getting a big time head start on things. It warmed up into the 40's here in Upstate NY and all the snow melted. Even though its probably not the right time of the year to do it...I snipped and dug out a couple of bearded iris rhizomes and will take them back to FL on the plane with me...plant them and see what happens. LOL They're in for temperature shock, that's for sure.

Jon
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #7402383

hmmmm...
One iris planted in front of the Dining Room window lost all of it's leaves right after early, hard frost. It seems to be growing back now, really weird. All the others irises are behaving "normally"lol.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 28, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #7402796

LOL Don't know if the rhizome I dug up at mom and dads will grow and bloom soon, but it will probably think spring came early when it moves from NY to FL. Iris success in FL is "hit or miss".
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #7402895

jon, the iris will probably do fine. You can dig those things up and let them dry out for months and they will bounce back.. I have some poking up through 2-3 inches of snow... now talk about confused!!!Good luck on that.

Patty (LOL!) >>>Good luck on those Flame Violets. I used to have one called Chocolate Soldier.. loved it to death.. literally... ! (RIP!)

Looks like some of my dianthus is waining.. I think the dry heat is finally getting to my annuals in the house...
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2009
11:42 AM

Post #7403495

My flame violets act way better than their african violet cousins. I think I have 4-5 named varieties and one of my own OP seed grown variety. Less tempermental than AVs.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #7411344

OK... to die for... CHOMLEY FARRAN -

Burpees exclusive...$11.50 per plant...

www.burpees.com

I hate mail order cats when they do that!
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #7411414

Oh, my... I don't think I have seen a flower that nice... I am going to be looking for it...
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #7411419

I used Google Images to see>

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=CHOMLEY%20FARRAN&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Burpee takes to long to load on the 26.4 kbs connection. lol
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #7411525

LOL! dang dialup !!!!

Ooooh ya ought to try cataloging the DL's I got to do.. gerrrgh! Dial up drive ya nuttier than a fruitcake!

LOL! Well Chomley is a Burpees exclusive so you wont find it elsewheres but through them!

Aaaaaaah ... the dreaded mailorder for such a lovely.. and then theres the shipping charges.. OY!

And the sneaky lil elves that smash the parcels before they get to the door! LOL! Burpee, ya better wrap that thang good!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #7412106

I had "Chomley Farran" back in 2007. It still hadn't bloomed by the summer of 2008 so I dug it up and put something else in. Maybe y'all will have better luck with it.

Jon
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #7412760

I'm not looking. I said I was done buying seeds for the year and found myself on Plant World Seeds webpage looking for growing info yesterday and by the time I got out I had racked up another $50.00 in seed order. So hiding my cc wrapped up in an envelope in the back of the desk drawer accomplished nothing. I'd probably be like that girl using her high dollar shoe to chip her cc out of that chuck of ice she froze it in to stop shopping...I need an intervention.*Sigh*
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #7412762

I woulda if youda sent it to me Jon! LOL! But then probably not, I am a cereal killer yano. I can kill a good plant as well as a bad plant, with the exception of my prized poison ivy. Old Goliath has a stay of execution. As long as ol' Goliath dont bother me, I will not bother him.

My dianthus in the house are waining. I cut them back again, but I think the long period of dryness now in the house is getting to all my annuals that I brought in. Owell. We shall see what lives and what dies. It was nice while they lasted.

Slowly I turn and slowly I toss and slowly I start sumthin new!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #7412771

Will someone send patty a pair of scissors... dang!

Um, well, maybe ya better not.. shes too desperate right now and ya just kent do that to a feller cereal killer!

And no, I will not pot up any of Goliaths babys for you no matter how much you beg! The children do not leave the farm.

Der n girl wants ALL the plants!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #7412914

I can see why you're flipping through catalogs right now. Took some with me to NY over Christmas and was flipping through the catalogs to pass the time on the snowy/cold days.

Maybe thar dying because they're annuals Blossom. I highly doubt you're a serial plant killer. No no no. You're doin the best ya can with those dianthus.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #7412961

Well,I needed some more aquilgeia Sunburst Ruby and Burnished Rose seeds since I didn't get any germination last year and I can't find seed source in states. Never say die...I'll keep trying until I get at least one plant. Took me 6-8 trades and seed purchases of Roman Bronze before I got ONE plant.

Thumbnail by bigred

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #7413041

Jon. now thats a cereal killer! And boy is thaaaat gorgeous P!

Oh yeah, I no, they probably are dying cuz their annuals...so sad to see them go...

You better tie patty down while I handcuff her to Goliath.. shes been a baaaaad girl and well, you dont wanna see what she is gonna have withern on her vine. errrrgh~ Its creepy and disgusting and... and... and... oh, just dont go there. She probaly has them started already in her crawl space! LOL! PLUMBBBB
E_VIAL SHE IS!

Have you tried T&A ? they usually got some good seed P?
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #7413195

OooooH Noooooooo,I'm highly alergic to PO.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #7413218

I heard Patty's New Years resolution was to cut back on her seed addiction. LOL How long do ya think that New Years resolution is gonna last Blossom?? Maybe til Jan 2nd?????
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7413247

Well patty, I found that finger gourd you was hankering on..and punkin cheecks, its in reimers... along with all those other nasty vial plants you were talking on.. except Im cornfused.. which hairy balls are you talking? The gomphocarpus or sumthin else? I still think the hedgehog thingees would look rad! NOW THATS E_VIAL! But then two bloody red beets would werk jest as fine.

And... and... and instead of the burdhaus gourds..
go with the dina-sewer gourd.. they look more aged
and drooopy! Now that would be a great hoot!

Still looking fer that columbine..

Ooooh Jon, tie her up again.. shez being baaaaad!

I want Chabaud.. Giants PLEZ! LOL!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7413260

Naaaah Jon, its allll over but the crying! She dun 'dicted herself ta death!

With her its more like a fetish!

And P, dont mess yer keyboard, yuno what hap-Ned last time.. yer M quit werking.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #7413352

I'm trying this lil beauty from PWS too.
Resolution are made for breaking..HA!

Thumbnail by bigred

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #7413371

What are you supposed to do with all them gourds??? I mean thar not good eatin. LOL

Ya got Chabaud Giants Carnation seeds Blossom. I know ya do. Yous better go check yer seeds))). I think you might have the "Candy Cane" and "Fruit Smoothie" zinnia seeds also.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #7413498

yeah, I no, just want more!! LOL! Im a glutton of punishment on them. And here I have not even started sowing them...

Hey, jon, have you tried doing lisanthus? New thread going.. whaddayano?

Dangit Patty, QUIT SHOWING THAT PANK STUFF! Ya heyar!!!! And dangit you and them thar ambadexterous feet.. Jon, she can still use a credit card and a camera with them. You forgot to hand cuff them...shes hurting Goliath! BAAAAD JON BAAAAAAD! Dang those body parts of hern!

Carefull now, shes hankering to start a nasty new thread. I see her nose twitching..her eyeballs are glaring.. shes got that um peeping tom look to them...CAREFUL.. Carefull... it will get us all konged out of here.. im warning you, every living last one of us will go into none existance...Dave will have to put a special ban on it for sure. carefull carefull carefullllll!

Um what gourds jon, I dunno what yer talking about! LOL! I ate the candy cane and the fruit smoothie! LOL! Oops, yamean I was sposed to plant those???!

(Yo P, I double dog dare you.. nannner naneer neener!! :P
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #7413900

Well thars a Florida expression that may help someone stop spending the moolah. If y'all just had "alligator arms" then they'd be too short to reach into the purse or wallet!!!!

I hope you be boiling dem gourds before yous be eatin em. Thar too hard to eat au natural.

Yes, I've tried Lisianthus before Blossom, with mixed success. The taller varieties I can't seem to get to rebloom after the initial blooms. The only ones that do pretty well down here are the "Florida Series" of Lisianthus. They are pretty short though. I did order some "Cinderella Lime" and "Cinderella Yellow" lisianthus seeds from Parks and will try those when they come in the mail.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
12:41 AM

Post #7414675

I like that limey one!

Alligaotr arms.. man you have not met Patty have ya.. jeez, thaaatalligator complexion and a tail to boot! Ya reallly gotta watch her tail Hand cuff that thang to Goliath... it can use the CC just as good as her feet! LOL!Yano, that alligator complexion is not as fair as that nice crocagator complexion like on my side of the family. And oOMG! her yeller false teeth.. unlike my pearl waats that are still real, but then that is about the only way you can tell us two apart.. its her yeller teeth.. she can pop them out like no bidys business!

Oh oh, someones hollering more dirt for the pool.. oops.. you was not sposed to know that. its a surprize! LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 1, 2010
1:04 AM

Post #7414787

LOL Blossom. Y'all would be in for a real surprise when you try filling in the pool. "Jaws" (my pet alligator) and "Pete" and "Repeat" (my pet gecko lizards) would probably meet you at the door. They wouldn't take too kindly to thar "play area" bein filled in with dirt!!!

"Jaws" has some wonderful "pearly whites". You should see em. He flosses every day with palm tree leaves.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7415738

BB,
Stop giving away my secerts!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7415981

RED! dint see ya crawling there! Dang yer slippery, got out of the cuffs already huh? Well I give up.. I heard your credit line has been extended. LOL!

Well anyway, jon, I heard if you pull the navel plug on Jaws he goes flying around that thar swimming hole like a nascar on water!

As fer them other two cameleans, they are at work selling insurance and by the time they get back, the makeover will be all done but the crying!

This wont hurt a bit.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7479332

Well so much for funnin!

Marking my calender 4/19 to direct so the Sweet Willies.

Why can t I get enough of that seed?
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2010
11:24 PM

Post #7503319

I'm hoping to order some 'Can Can Scarlet' which is supposed to flower all summer! I also want to move my dianthus that is in the garden as they don't seem to like our soil. They just sit there all summer...maybe making ONE flower.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2010
12:12 AM

Post #7503457

Can Can Scarlet is one of the better taller carnations. Very fragrant...smells like spice. It does take a long time to grow from seed to bloom. I'm guessing it was around 120-150 days.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
1:35 AM

Post #7503692

...uhhhg. Thats 4 or 5 months...well I guess if I start them next month they'll be in flower in June/July so thats not so bad after all! Have you grown them before Jon? Any pictures?
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2010
2:06 AM

Post #7503794

Yes, I grew them in 2008/09, but didn't save my photos of them. They weren't as high maintenance as "Chabaud Giant" carnations, but both required some staking to keep them upright. They probably would be better performers in your area Steven. They're really not meant to be grown here in South Florida (Zone 10). They're definitely worth giving a try in your zone.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
3:22 AM

Post #7504007

Ooo, how did you find the Chabaud Giants? Did they take as long to bloom? I think I tried them a long time ago, but they either died before they got outside or they didn't amount to anything.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7504100

Yeah, they took just as long to bloom. They required a lot of staking. I posted a photo of them near the top of this thread. The seeds are commonly available at Lowes/Home Depot. Carnations are just a plant you have to be real patient with. They do take their sweet time.

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #7504140

They look really nice, but I should probably go with the ones that don't need so much staking...I never stake in time so they'd probably all end up in the mud!

I've got some short perennial dianthus seeds too...we actualy a number of different ones but one I'd like to start is called 'Snowdonia'. It's white and the blooms are fringed. The thing I like about perennials is they can be started any time spring or summer so theres not always as much rush.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2010
4:30 AM

Post #7504180

That "Snowdonia" is one funky looking Dianthus. I've really taken a liking, this winter, to some of the slightly taller (6-9") dianthus. I didn't even know there were taller ones with pretty large sized blooms (2-3").
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7505000

Some of the ones I got in pots inside now are waining...I dont think they will make it to spring
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7505014

Blossom, do you think its because they're annuals and there isn't much you can do to extend them or is it a lighting issue? What are some of the flowers that do very well for you while they are inside for the winter?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7505027

My impatiens and coleus are doing great indoors. The dianthus are biannual...they just might go though the ick dormant stage. TIme will tell.

Whats under lights are on very long day lighting... 6am to 10 and 12pm

My peppers lost thier leaves so I cut th etops off of them and thye still have some new growth on the truncks.. but I am kindof having my druthers that they will see spring too. Guess I best start some newbs.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7505058

It's good to hear that some things are doing great for you...especially impatiens. I would have thought they'd be tougher to over winter. They just seem like very sensitive/tender flowers. My "Super Parfait Raspberry" Dianthus, went through a stage in December when they stopped blooming and didn't look all that great. I pruned them all back, removed the dead foliage and cut the spent flower stems back to the ground. It took about a month for them to regrow back and start blooming again. They're back into their blooming cycle so I'm glad I didn't give up on them and remove them.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7505787

I like your Super Parfait Raspberry Jon! You always have such nice pics. I've got a few kinds in the garden, unknowns from the dollar store, 'Velvet N Lace' and 'Siberian Blues'.

Blossom, Do you have a where its cool and dark you could out some of your dianthus where they could rest?
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #7506841

Velvet N Lace and Siberian Blues from a DOLLAR Store??? Which one?

~Daniel
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2010
1:00 AM

Post #7506851

SW, no not really.. thjey are under lights and I really do not have a place to move them.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2010
2:13 AM

Post #7507124

I just got a no-name type from the dollar store. Pretty carnation type blooms in shades of pink/purple they made one bloom last year which I think got eaten off by some animal or other. I also have one called knappi yellow or something like that. Its perennial and supposed to make yellow flowers.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2010
2:15 AM

Post #7507133

here it is http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/209146/ I started it once before but it got killed by a squirrel.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #7508053

Looks like I'll be potting up several varieties around the first of March.
Amazon Neon Purple
Amazon Neon Rose
China Pinks
Flashing Spires
Sooty
Yellow Harmony.

They're all growing well even in this cockeyed weather.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7508399

Helloooo! I WANT YELLOW!

(and any others too! hehehehe!)
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7508712

Mine looks more yellow(w/hint of green) than the ones I've seen on-line
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
12:37 AM

Post #7513601

Wull, I still aint got that! LOL!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7514638

I never can find seeds on my yellow ones so I start them from divisons and cuttings
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7515181

ok...gimme! LOL!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 31, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7515749

Will Sweet William Sooty Dianthus baratus reliably bloom the first year if started early indoors?
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7518018

BB
like I tell the grandkids when they say"I gimme" and "I want"..."Gimme died and I want ain't looking too good"...LOL...just kidding...ya know if I gots it...you wants it...you gets it.These plugs should be ready 'bout the time your spring arrives.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2010
12:12 AM

Post #7520135

Oh thank you kind evil twin!!

Dianthus are biannuals so usualy bloom the second year, although some do the first.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
12:21 AM

Post #7520164

I found this that says with an early sowing it will flower first year http://www.mobot.org/gardinghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=B515 but the other pages say it will flower second year.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2010
12:35 AM

Post #7520219

Thanks. I will seed it early and hope for blooms this year
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 2, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #7521127

I think it's possible for Dianthus to bloom in year one, but its definitely something you'd have to start in a greenhouse right about now. If my memory is correct I think I sewed Chabaud Giant Carnations approximately Nov 2008 and they began to bloom around May 2009. That would mean if you guys/gals sewed them Feb 1st they should start blooming by late July.

Jon
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7521232

Thanks, better get those seeded soon then.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7521404

Marking my calender on those too!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2010
12:11 PM

Post #7521624

The yellow dianthus has been perennial for me as well as Sooty. The only 2 so far that have been. I thought Flashing Lights would be but once they bloom...they're gone.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7521980

I tried sooty last year by seed and it dint grow
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7522098

What's up with you and da seeds?*G*
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7522533

Eeeek, carnations sowed in November bloomed in May? I better get my order in soon for Can Can Scarlet!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 2, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7522739

Yep, they were around 6 months and I think the seed pack reflected about the same number of days to maturity (180 days). LOL It could be worse. I've seen seed packs, for some flowers, say 365+ days from seed to maturity.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7522884

So assuming I get them started sometime this month...

*thinking*

...they'll flower in July. Which should give a good 4 months of bloom. And maybe some of them will over winter which would be a bonus!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 2, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7523022

If you have the space and can do it soon, go for it. It can only increase the likelihood that they'll bloom year one. If they somehow grow faster, and start blooming earlier I don't think you'll be complaining about it! LOL
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7523044

HAHAHA, no I won't complain if they somehow bloom earlier. Even if they don't bloom till September but I like them I'll still be happy :)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7527671

HAha! I got a lil snap o spring under me lights!

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #7527692

You said your dianthus was going down hill! That looks pretty good to me!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 4, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #7527735

Alright Blossom!!!! Most excellent. Those blooms are rewarding you for all your efforts.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7528598

SW, only a couple were...I still have my druthers if they are gonna make it to get outside to thrive in spring. Six-eight weeks is a long time to stay in the house yet.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7529141

I need to check my Dianthus out in the garden...I think the critters might have eaten them all, dang it. Although I see the biennial one is still there. I discovered if I dead head it, it will act more perennial!
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7529181

I checked and my dianthus are still there, extreamly brown and dead looking. I seem to remember dianthus was sort of semi-evergreen. Maybe it actualy kicked the bucket...which is fine with me cause it never did anything.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7529235

Well, run dont walk... get more! LOL!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 4, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7529267

Steven, I think Blossombuddy is right, you better run and more seeds. Even in the frozen tundra that my garden is in, they are still green. Completely frozen, but green.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7529373

Ok, so they are dead. All brown and crispy...even the critters didn't munch them so I guess thats saying something. I think I'll try the ones from the dollar store again. They were dianthus but the blooms looked like mini carnations. In shades of pink and purple.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7569487

Awww SW...I feel for you...

Got a few bloomers here though! Man I walked into the office and the fragrance of these two lil babies! AWESOME! Makes me wish for a greenhouse full of them!

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2010
2:48 AM

Post #7570710

Thanks Blossom!

Sadly something came up and I won't be able to get the Can Can Scarlet after all :(
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 19, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7570771

Nice Blossom. Love the color. After several months I finally stumbled across some other carnations I had tried from seed, but couldn't recall the names. They came in some nice colors. The are the "Grenadin Series" Carnations. The varieties are: "Cardinal" (Red), "Golden Sun" (Yellow), "Innocense" (White), "King Of Black" (Dark Dark Red), "Triumph Rose" (Pink), "Peach Delight" (Peach).

Picked up this Sweet William/Dianthus plant yesterday. I have no idea what variety it is though????

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #7571209

I have tried King of Black, it was a puny lil carnation. Well least as it was for me. I would love to try some of the big florist varieties, but Ima fraid I dont have the means.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 19, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7571274

All the ones I've tried, even "Can Can Scarlet" were all small blooms. I wonder what the big florist varieties are named and where you get the seeds?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #7571281

Well, since most cuts are imported anymore.. probably have to go to south america. I dont think California grows much anymore.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2010
11:13 PM

Post #7572653

I ended up getting a different one since I couldnt get the Can Can this ones called 'Picotee Fantasy' and looks like pinks and orangs and stripes! The packet says blooms in 14-16 weeks which sounds pretty good!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2010
11:16 PM

Post #7572663

Well, SW, we will be waiting with baited breath to see them!
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2010
1:47 AM

Post #7572953

Thanks Blossom! Let just hope they turn out :p
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 20, 2010
2:05 AM

Post #7573004

Hope they grow fast for you. Start em early.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2010
9:09 PM

Post #7574907

I'll be starting them this week :) I also bought a massive 75L bag of seed starting mix so it should last me for a while!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 20, 2010
9:30 PM

Post #7574944

Gadzooks , I would think so. That's like 8 1/2 of the regular bags of seed starting mix. Better get an assembly line started.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #7574976

hahaha, I do a fair ammount of winter/spring sowing so I find it works really well :)

For you, Jon, were the Chabaud Giants continueus bloomers? Or do they flower most of the season?
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 21, 2010
1:51 AM

Post #7575566

They were continuous bloomers, but I always deadheaded the plants to keep the blooms coming.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7577108

Thanks, I usually deadhead too :)
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7579688

I just seeded 8 little pots of 'Picotee Fantasy' Carnations!

Now the waiting game starts...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7579779

Pace pace pace!
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
1:28 AM

Post #7580444

nothing yet...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2010
1:58 AM

Post #7580503

LOL, I think it takes a wee bit longer than that to germinate...

You need to go entertain yerself!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 23, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #7580780

LOL. Agreed. They're not germinating in 4 hours!!!! Stop staring at them Steven.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7580919

Yeah, your making them nervous! LOL!

How would you like it if you were germinating and someone was watching you?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #7580921

Jon, quit staring at SW, hes entertaining himself.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7581740

Stop staring at me everyone! I'm entertaining myself by planting more seeds.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 23, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7581764

We're just making sure you're doing them right. The seed placement is a little off centre on that third one in the fourth row. I might be able to draw one in a little bit closer and take a point, because I have the hammer. LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7581830

Not peaking...cant see a thing with these on...

A lil musak for the Entertainer plez!!

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2010
2:49 AM

Post #7585781

Thanks for pointing that out Jon! I fixed the crookd seed. Its in the middle now, I used a ruler and a compass to make sure its perfect centre :P
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
3:36 AM

Post #7585922

Sheeesh! Men and their gardening.. sooo complicated!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7586527

LOL. Ya gotta have perfect form when seed sowing Blossom. It's all about sweeping those seeds as close to centre as possible. You can't leave any room for those weed seeds to sneak on in thar and steal the show!!!

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7586576

Who? You or da seed bed?
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7586617

There's no hope for me Blossom. I'm always a little off centre!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7586632

Balding head or watermelon gut? LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7586693

Neither of those. Remember, I gots the "chia hair", and used the "hoover" to suck the fat out of the jelly belly. Just a little standing imbalance. Tendency to "teeter totter" at times.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7586710

LOL... not going there nope nope nope...!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7586775

Whoa, as I rock back and forth. Whoa!!
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7586873

I don't think I'll be rocking in any direction as we're being threatened to be buried in more snow :S

Grr, I wish it would warm up already...I guess I'll plant some more seeds...the phlox needs to be planted.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7586918

Well we got a half inch. We keep bouncing abck and forth with the more springer weather.

Whatchit Jon, you would not wanna hurt sumthin, your string lines a tad off.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7586962

Alllllright you two... heres sumthing you will never read.

http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/news/stories/news5049.html

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7586986

Thanks Blossom. I've been learning, from trial and error as to the correct times to plant things here. Frost isn't an issue here its picking the correct temperatures and number of daylight hours...I think.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7587044

Yeah, your days are longer, but I think temperature would be the ultimate factor.

I put my lights on an extended extended day and I thing that helped... I just hope I dint screw with their pea brains and when they go out into the real world they think.. oh oh.. short days, time to hibernate! LOL! Kill me now if thats the plan. OY! There woudl go all my impatiens. I really do not think that is going to happen though, natural lite vs artificial should save them
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7587087

Thanks Blossom. How many lights do you have set up? I just use a window for my seed starting.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7587142

We have 2 stands with 3 shelves of lites each.

I dont start seed this early. I have to wait until my GPS holds a 24/24 temp of 50-60 degrees steady before I can kick all my indoor plants out there. We dont heat that thing.

I also do not use heat mats so will not start anythng indoors until the plants on the stands get booted.

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2010
11:26 PM

Post #7600611

Well, I'm proud to say my Carnations have sprouted! YAY! They took 10 days to sprout...now to keep waiting...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7600712

Pace pace pace!!!!! show us the money!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7601889

I prefer the perennials but do they bloom as long as the annuals (when dead-headed)?
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #7601983

Generally speaking, I don't think they do. Annuals put so much energy into non-stop blooming, whereas perennials are in it for the long run. They have to balance their energy into blooming, growing and storing energy to reappear with new growth the following year.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7602915

New pix...well this RAT OF A POT
was harboring a ton of ants in it
today.. geeesh, and they hatched
in my office!

I whooped them though. I wish
I could set this plant outside...
hope I got all the pests.

All I can picture is that old
old old comercial where the
stinking roaches running
and screaming yelling its
R_A_I_D!!!!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2010
9:44 PM

Post #7603047

Hope you got em all Blossom. It would be a shame to have to put that Dianthus outside. It looks so great.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2010
11:03 PM

Post #7603232

Well, I kilt them and cleaned them and were having them for dinner! LOL! Were having ladybugs on the side. Sheeesh! Its that time, they are starting to wake up too.

Yeah, I hope I got them too. I have several pots that are looking really lush, but the bloomers are skimpy!

I just mowed that last snapdragon...hope it has a revival!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2010
11:28 PM

Post #7603293

Those ladybugs are crunchy. Ladybugs get some of the bad pests though.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2010
1:34 AM

Post #7603629

Stinky too! Yeah, they eat aphids.. which is ok. Wish they would eat them ants! LOL! I aint never had one bite me either... people say they bite, but far be it from me! Maybe they dont like me!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #7603879

I'm surprised they don't bite you. You're a sweet person.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7604123

I just co-exist with them.. jeez, after all, how hard can they bite anyway! LOL! Why on earth do they bite people anyway, they get no benefit?

Well, looks like the dianthus/ant disaster has been cleaned up.. now for moving more plants

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7605307

Ladybugs don't bite, lol.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #7605451

I agree on that. they dont bite.. whats biting is the thing they are eating. Its so tiny you can hardly see it!
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7644027

This is an older pic but here are my carnations! Also my dianthus in the garden which were all dead looking are resprouting! YAY!

Thumbnail by SW_gardener

CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

March 24, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #7652699

This is my second year winter sowing and first time trying to grow any dianthus from seed. Today all of my Dianthus chinensis "Telstar Picotee" and Dianthus barbatus "Heart Attack" germinated. Wheeeee!

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7718763

YAY!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7722145

Whars da pics??!
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

April 22, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #7727369

Camera is DOA and I can't afford the new one I want right now, but believe me the dianthus are the biggest success of all my winter sowing except for xerochrysum bracteatum, and I don't think I could kill those if I tried, so they hardly even count.
ctindell
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7778805

I planted this 2 weeks ago a dianthus. The tag said it was a perrenial. I hope it is!

Thumbnail by ctindell

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7780565

Oh maaan!
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7780577

Ctindell, that looks a lot like Dianthus "Firewitch".
Here's a picture of mine

Oh, and it is a perennial. This is mine's second year in the ground.

This message was edited May 10, 2010 1:51 PM

Thumbnail by pgt

DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7802340

Mine is in full bloom now.

~Daniel
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2010
10:34 PM

Post #7806098

Very nice!
voyagergreg
Lakeside Marblehead, OH

May 19, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7808478

my firewitch pink chedars I planted last year are huge & in full bloom, also one in dark red is in bloom, the star spankled banner dianthus is also starting to bloom slowly...Bought some raspberry swirl ones from Bluestone this year & tho tiny they are starting to bud out...
The pinks I planted last year are sooo big w/ babies coming up all over the place & they are blooming too!!! When can these plants be divided into starter plants? Do you just use a hand shovel to cut & divide them up??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7808656

you can spade them out and use your hands to pull the clumps apart in the size divides you want. I like using one of those hand weeders to stab them with then pry them apart.
voyagergreg
Lakeside Marblehead, OH

May 20, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7811421

Thank's!! Can this be divided anytime during the summer??
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #7812181

I like doing them in the spring when the wet is still on.. seems they get a better start, but you can also dip the roots in hormone and keep them watered.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2010
4:03 AM

Post #7892717

$2 flat special! Only regret was that it came under a g eneric label! They were very hard to pass up!

White with a pale lavender eye...

Hindernone
Broadway, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #7924475

Last year we planted a box mix picked up at Wally World and this spring the most beautiful Sweet Williams popped up. (Thanks to another user's plant ID post, I refrained from pulling the green plants out of the bed. I had thought they were weeds.)

Thumbnail by Hindernone

Hindernone
Broadway, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7924524

Elation Violet Dianthus - 3 of 6 planted this spring are surviving. Unsure if the lost ones was due to the extreme heat or what...

Thumbnail by Hindernone

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7926168

I love Sweet Williams! I wish I could get a large colony of it growing.

You can try cutting them baaaaaack.. maybe they wil be provoked to bloom again.

They are biennials, do let them seed to get newbs next year!
Tomtom
OSAKA
Japan
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2010
4:12 AM

Post #7964378

Hi all
I grew two species of Dianthus this spring from seeds.
I love both of them--This one in particular .

#1 Dianthus hyb.' Double Elegance Pink'
I made up mind to try other colors (4 varieties available)

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom

Tomtom
OSAKA
Japan
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7964382

#2 Dianthus hyb.'Hatukoi(literally First Love)'
This used to be my favorite but it was replaced by #1 this year. lol

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7964392

Very pretty Tomtom!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7964939

Here is my $2 a flat dianthus special... seems after the plant got settled the lavender got a wee darker.. must be PH sensative.. my soil is alkaline

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #8021636

Sweet William from seed...er, no, that looks more like a dianthus..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dianthus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
the Dianthus are Blooming! Weezingreens 20 Aug 25, 2008 2:26 AM
Dividing Dianthus 2zeus 19 Mar 5, 2007 3:08 PM
Dianthus at HD FLStu 13 Apr 18, 2007 10:29 PM
Dainty Dianthus Shirley1md 16 Jun 25, 2007 1:14 AM
Need dianthus for a very sunny bed silverfluter 22 Oct 22, 2010 8:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America