Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: Help solve the mystery!!!

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 24, Views: 175
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 6, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #7246082

My friend has a 6 year old pond which had some holes and so we had to put down a new liner. Last week we noticed that there are new holes on the new liner which is the top quarter portion. Some of the men who looked at it thinks it is musk rats which explains why some fish are disappearing!! The pond is netted. Had any of you ever had this problem?. How do we get rid of them?. How do you patch the holes? Thank you for your input. Belle

This message was edited Nov 6, 2009 4:24 AM
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 6, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #7246232

maybe muskrat??
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 6, 2009
9:23 AM

Post #7246724

How do you get rid of muskrats?
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #7247996

I believe muskrats are vegetarians...

mink, raccoons, hawks or herons may be taking the fish from the pond.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 7, 2009
11:20 AM

Post #7249729

The pond is netted like mine so no birds nor herons can go in.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 7, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #7250071

I think you have to trap them (not easy solution)
There are pellets too that can be used but then the critters just move over a few yards.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 7, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #7250211

How about the rat pellets? Now do you think a muskrat can chew on a heavy rubber liner?Some are 2-3 inch in diameter!! I appreciate your help. Belle
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 7, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #7250457

squirrels chewed through plastic lattice at least 1/2 inch thick. Mice chew through electrical wire -- so I think the muskrat if positioned correctly (meaning a good piece to grab) could certainly chew through a lining..
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #7250802

Why would it be chewing on the bottom? Maybe trying to dig? (Just curious, not arguing - we have nutria down here in that same ecological niche, so I have no experience with muskrats.) Hopefully not trying to start a nest... Maybe wire mesh directly over the liner? I wouldn't be surprised if they could chew through the wire, too, if they really wanted to, but maybe that would be unpleasant enough that they would just prefer to go elsewhere.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 7, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #7251300

Belle mentioned the holes were in the top quarter. Mesh a good idea - maybe can lay at the top and fold over the edges of the pond down into the water and then end it. It would be invisible I bet. Is this a small pond or a great big one. If big - maybe that is too much to do.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #7251600

Belle

It could very well be a muskrat. We had that problem a number of years ago with our second pond. We did take care of the muskrat before he was able to do any damage to the liner. But they will try to burrow into the liner to try and create a home.

I think your friends best bet is to try to trap the muskrat and release him somewhere where he will not hurt anything.

Googling muskrats, I found that their primary food is vegetation, however they will eat fish and snails http://www.kaweahoaks.com/html/muskrat.html
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 8, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #7251810

Carolyn,
thank you for the link, I did not think they chew rubber!!The new liner costs her over $300.00!! Belle
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 8, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #7251834

Wonder if it is chew...spit...chew ...spit...

or chew...swallow...chew swallow...

if the latter, maybe the muskrat won't be around too long
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 8, 2009
8:31 AM

Post #7252435

Missing,
This is a huge pond, it costs her a fortune and to get someone to fix the holes is $150.00 per hour!! They make more than someone with a college degree!! LOL!!! Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #7252808

Belle

there are patch kits that are out there that are supposed to work very well. I have never had to use one - at least not yet, but I would try that first. If that doesn't work, it sounds like it would be less expensive to put in a new liner.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 8, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #7252829

We just put in a new liner and it was $300.00. Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #7252864

Belle

I understand that - liners are not inexpensive. I would try the liner repair kit at approximately $15-$20 first. This company is great - I don't know if you are familiar with them or not - they have a wonderful tech support group to answer any and all questions. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5330&cmpid=11csegb&ref=3312&subref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0160374000000. Give them a call and ask them about patch kits and how well they work. They do not charge for their tech support.

My thoughts about a professional repair are -- if the guy that is going to patch your liner is there for anything close to 2 hours or more, you are better off getting a new liner that has not been compromised in any way. The patch kits are supposed to work very well, but I would have to believe the lifetime of the liner is not as long as before it was compromised. $300 is $300 regardless of whether it is spent on repairing the liner or putting in a new one.

I would definitely take care of the muskrat first. I have to tell you, we have not had another one since the one time...and we live between 2 rivers.

Let us know.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #7254993

a live trap for the muskrat?
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #7324076

If your pond is netted, think from the outside in.

Assume you are using 45 mil pondliner. How big is the pond?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 1, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #7325166

The pond is approximately 15 feet x 30 +. it is big!!! It is situated in front of a Cultural Center ans so it is visited by thousands of people . It is also near a golf course and DH said there are plenty of musk rat in that golf course. We decided to cement the pond and after 3 days the lining goes in. i just hope the kois will survive in their new house. They will be transferred into a big container and will have a bubbler. Belle
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2009
5:26 AM

Post #7327420

What about using an electronic sensory (low buzz emitting repelant) or similar to keep the "criminal" away. Or borrow a dog for a few days. Nothing like the scent of a dog to keep everything away. That has to be very frustrating.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 2, 2009
8:59 AM

Post #7327583

Where do i buy the sensory devise? Are they submersible? Thanks.Belle
Poetinwood
Council Hill, OK

December 2, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #7327842

Hi Bellieg,
First thing I think I'd do is put a light out there that is sufficient to illuminate the little problem as he/she does its thing. Make a few trips to the window at night to look. Have you not been able to find any tracks? Knowing the enemy is essential to solving the problem. Every animal has a distinctive track and are all listed on the internet. If that isn't feasible maybe a friend has a deer camera he isn't using this time of year. Heck, I sit outside in the dark just to see who is doing what in the night, if you don't move you will never be noticed, but not many can do that. Many nocturnals are put off by bright lights, I think they know we need to see well with light in order to aim properly. Or get DH to set out a muskrat trap or two.
I'm certain chicken wire would prevent further chewing. Or maybe dig a small gap and pour in some concrete as a backup. I know they can't chew through that.
Put up a sign: Sushi: $25 per fish. In advance.
Thomas
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #7377403

bellieg...No the devices are not submersible... They have solar and battery operated ones. (they kind of look like a solar light) It makes a noise not detectable to humans, that keeps the animals from that area, although if it's their only food source, you will have a tougher time selling that idea to them! There are also animal deterrents that hook onto your hose, and as something crosses the red beam, it blasts them with a shot of water. Motion detector lights are also available (solar, so you don't have to run electricity around your pond) and that combined with rippling water won't allow animals to see what's under the surface. I had a heron problem for a while, and although he wouldn't eat everything (he tried!) he would still poke a hole in the heads of my large fish, killing them, and poke holes in the liner. I added some bubblers, turned off any underwater lights, and added above ground lighting, which just caused too much surface distraction, not allowing him to see what was swimming underneath. I also fed my fish in the evenings, instead of the morning, so they would all be settled in and go lower in the water, instead of skimming around the surface. Being in VA, you probably shouldn't be feeding anymore for the season anyway, your water is probably getting colder.
If you get a chance to redo the side walls of your pond, a straight edge drop is much better than a gradual slope, where predators can wade. Since changing mine, nothing has been able to reach my fish (yay! knock on wood!)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 17, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #7378011

This is not my pond, my pond is okay and netted. I was told that the pond will be cemented but the rubber liner will go back after 3 days.What is amazing is the holes are at the edges. I thank you for the response. Belle

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America