Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Container Gardening: Cold Hardy Container Plants?

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #7247527

Ok, I realize this may be a long shot...

Are there plants or a type of plant that would be cold hardy enough to survive the rather mild winter here in South Alabama (Zone 8a)??

Now that I have brought all my patio plants indoors, my poor house looks naked!! It needs some greenery to make it look alive again.

I wondered if I wrapped the pots in bubble wrap and maybe a blanket?!?!?!?

I know, I sound desperate, Any thoughts are appreciated.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #7247873

For cool temp bloomers, how about stocks, petunias or pansies. They can handle below freezing temps. Some smaller evergreens, such as cypress, pine and cedars would be fine as well.

rule of thumb for survival in a pot is going with two cold hardy zones than yours. so you would probably be able to keep stuff that is hardy to Zone 2,3, 4, 5 and 6 year 'round in a pot.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #7247880

There are tons of plants that will tolerate your winters in containers, but what kind of plant are you thinking ... evergreen, blooming, herbaceous/woody, upright, trailing ... ? Do you want one you admire for its bark, it's winter form ... ? More help from you = more help for you. (I just made that up) Lol

Al
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #7247944

Thanks joannabanana, Your "rule of thumb" is very helpful and gives me options.

Al, You are just tooo funny... In answer to your question and in an effort to help you help me : p ... Although I do like the occasional flower, I much prefer foliage. Evergreen would be good, blooming (not necessary, but JoAnna's suggestions of pansies and petunias have my ears perked), herbaceous/woody, upright, trailing would be great if I can have those things too? As I am still an amateur, in my mind, I was thinking that ANYTHING I put out there would die, so I decided to bring it to the experts (and look who arrived : ) ...for some great advice.

Mostly, I just want something alive out there that is not a 12 foot Ape!!! I much prefer plants...
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #7247967

Hehehe!! With the encouragement of the promising advice above, I did a search and found this website...

http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/usda-zones-and-plant-lists/index.html

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7248066

Oops - I should have been more clear. You need to choose between herbaceous and woody (kind of like flowers or shrubs), and upright or trailing. ;o)

Mugo pine is very hardy & easy

Junipers are the same, but tend to bronze in winter (turn a little brownish)

Dwarf Hinoki cypress is very nice, and slow growing

There are lots & lots of dwarf conifers in many genera (plural of genus) that would make really nice container plants for several years bewfore they needed repotting if you use the right soil.

Small fruit trees (dwarf sargentii crabs are especially nice) are good if you are ok with no foliage for a few months, Jap. maple - all have nice winter form.

Privet - takes well to pruning.

Zone 8 is a little out of my neighborhood, so I'm sure you'll get more suggestions. ;o)

My pool today, through the LR window:

Click the image for an enlarged view.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #7248069

Nevermind - the image wouldn't load because it's animated. ;o)

Al
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #7253573

I have this excellent book called "The City Gardener's Handbook". It talks about all sorts of plants suited to liveing year around outdoors in containers and planters on patios, decks and rooftops. It seems to be focused on a zone 6 & 7 ish climates, but the info is adaptable to any climate. The info in it might be very useful to your situation.
ISBN 978-1-58017-449-7
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #7255356

Thanks DenverJude,

I'm going to look for the book. May be able to find a variation of it locally for my area. If not, adaptable is good and I'm sure if it will winter outside in zones 6 & 7, they will also be suitable for my climate. Thanks again.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #7256564

Go to your library and get a copy of the book, it's excellent. I live in Zone 5b and used this handbook for my balcony garden. A lot of plants winter outside in my zone. Evergreens look better in the winter. Although plants can take the cold they usually go dormant in cold weather. But you've had good suggestions above, including the pansies which will bloom all winter for you. Good luck.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #7260433

I assume you want blooming plants to winter outdoors in containers. In the deep South, pansies and johnny-jump-ups are the old stand-bys. They both can survive snowstorms, if you have one every 50 years or so. The latter is even more cold tolerant, and they are just covered with blooms. Snapdragons survive, but bloom more profusely when the temps warm up in late February. Then they put on a glorious display for several weeks. Ornamental cabbage and kale can be beautiful, but if you have a mild winter, and many of our winters ARE mild, they tend to bolt and don't develop their color too well. (If they do try to bolt, pinch off the bloom spikes immediately.) Stocks and petunias aren't going to work. Not in Alabama. I would also discourage you from using small trees and shrubs. Annuals are far more practical. Cyclamen are beautiful, not only the flowers but the variegated leaves, but they are pricey. They also need to be moved into the greenhouse or garage temporarily if the temps are going to drop below 30 degrees. You might check with your local Master Gardening group for more advice. Local advice is always preferable to that from well-meaning people thousands of miles away. Like politics, gardening is mainly local. I have the temerity to send this only because we have very similar climates in spite of the difference in miles.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America