-
AuthorContent
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7249217

I have a pump chemical sprayer and it has become clogged. I have tried everything I can think of to unclog it. Including the instruction booklets suggestion of filling it with warm soapy water and pressurizing it.
I have tried almost boiling water and I could feel the tubing fill with the hot water.
I tried bleach in the water.
I tried window cleaning fluid.
I am considering using straight vinegar next and I know it is a great mild acid.
Everything eventually comes out if I leave the sprayer end in a bucket...
I really need to spray my roses for rust and mildew ASAP!! Help!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #7251948

This evening I put a quart of vinegar in it, pressurized it, and put the nozzle end back into the bucket. We'll see what happens.
If I managed to solve this problem myself, I'll let you all know :-)

If it doesn't work, tomorrow I am going to try isoprobal alcohol.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #7257253

No, the vinegar didn't work. I put is through twice. It takes overnight for it to leak out into a bucket. And when I take the lid off, there is still a ton of pressure.
So today it is time for the alcohol. I believe the chemical combinations caused a white gunk to soildify like cold fat. I am hoping a solvent will dissolve it.
This time though, I am going in reverse.
I put almost boiling water into the container and sealed it without adding pressure. I put the clogged end of the nozzle into a jar of alcohol. When the hot water cools, it will create suction.
Hopefully enough suction to pull the alcohol into the end of the tube and dissolve or dislodge whatever is stuck in there.
I'll let you know.
Next step is paint thinner.
New sprayer? This one isn't even three month old!! If I can't figure out how to unclog this one, I'll just be facing the same problem eventually with a new one...

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 12, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #7265962

I was finally able to get the nozzle unclogged and it is working fine!
Wanna know how I did it?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7304498

I do!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 24, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #7304570

Be careful with the alcohol, as it is flammable. But it did work to put the hot water into the sprayer and the end of the tube with the nozzle, into a tall thin bottle with some alcohol in it. When the hot water cooled, it sucked enough alcohol into the nozzle to dissolve the clog. Which was indeed at the end of the hose.
I could tell it was working because white dissolved chemicals come out of the end, but not allot. So then I removed the water from the tank, and put the alcohol into the tank. Just about a cup full. And added a slight amount of pressure.
Next thing I knew, the tube and nozzle were gushing and it was all cleaned out!
I was very careful to properly dispose of the used alcohol. And then I cleaned the whole thing out with warm soapy water just to make sure.
Now I am carefull to flush it out with warm soapy water everytime I switch from using it to spray one chemical and then something different. As they can react and create a subsance as hard as dried glue!

This message was edited Nov 23, 2009 7:01 PM
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #7304590

Good thinking on your part! I have used a needle to poke/dig out gunk from just by the nozzle, yet I enlarged the hole and it leaked for the rest of the time that I had it.

Hmm, I wonder if my dad's old trick of mixing laundry soap with gasoline would cut through the gunk faster. He used it on greasy clothes, to "dry clean" Mom's crinoline dresses, cleaning oil off of the concrete driveway & other yucky jobs.

Probably just more dangerous than useful...The alcohol is a better idea!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 24, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #7306131

Yeah!! I am glad I didn't have to progress to the next step I was considering, paint thinner. The end of the nozzle on mine has pin holes and two sides. So it would have been impossible for my to even attempt to use a needle to dislodge the blockage.
Just remember isoprobal alcohol is also flammable. And if you have animals or children, it would be good to make certain they cannot get near it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America