Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Rutabaga: Its History, Uses, and Culture: Rutabagas (swedes to Aussies) in soups

Communities > Forums > Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Rutabaga: Its History, Uses, and Culture
bookmark
Forum: Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Rutabaga: Its History, Uses, and CultureReplies: 5, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Beverlyiris
Adelaide
Australia

November 9, 2009
6:03 AM

Post #7255132

The hearty vegetable soup is simply not the same without the addition of one or two of these hardy and nutritious vegetables. Likewise, stews and braised meats take on a richer flavour when swedes are added. They are also extremely easy to grow with few pests in our climate in South Australia.
vwsmaka
Clearwater, FL

November 9, 2009
11:10 AM

Post #7255300

Does anyone have a receipe for soup with Rutabaga ?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #7255696

I've just cubed them and added them to my regular vegetable soup. They are quite tasty and the flavor blends well with the other vegetables. You can also substitute rutabaga for butternut squash in recipes.
iravros
Howell, MI

November 9, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #7255757

My mother made a rutabaga casserole for Thanksgiving. She used the recipe in Beatrice Ojakangas Finnish Cookbook. The flavor was strong, but delicious when served with a meat dish.

(Lanttulaatikko) from the cookbook:

2 medium rutabagas, peeled and
diced (about 6 cups)
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons butter

Cook rutabagas until soft, about 20 minutes in salted water to cover. Drain and mash. Soak bread crumbs in the cream and stir in nutmeg, salt, and beaten eggs. Combine with mashed rutabagas. Turn into a buttered 2 1/2-quart casserole, dot the top with butter, and bake in a moderate oven 350 for an hour, until lightly browned on top. Serves 6-8.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2009 9:48 AM

This message was edited Nov 9, 2009 9:51 AM

This message was edited Nov 9, 2009 9:52 AM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 9, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #7257254

every year at the RSA where I work we have Haggis served with 'neeps & taties' on St. Andrews night & again on Burns.
To non Scots that is swede mashed with potato.
Perfect match for the haggis :)
And naturally washed down with a wee dram of whisky.
Until now I had no idea that they were also called rutabagas...
Learn something every day
blblue
Bingham Lake, MN

November 10, 2009
9:07 AM

Post #7259098

Like Melody says just through them in to the pot I have used them all my life. I use them in soup about 50% of the time .They are real good diced and boiled with a pat of butter and salt & peppered . One other way I will add before I leave . Slice thin or like a french fry and eat raw. Very good , nice and sweet. My brother used a hack saw to slice his Lol.
A great take along lunch snack as it won't discolor .
Curt :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Rutabaga: Its History, Uses, and Culture Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yummy ! Dea 16 Feb 8, 2008 10:51 PM
Timely in a rather silly way... tucsonjill 4 Nov 10, 2009 12:48 AM
Rutabagas in braised dishes sghatdaves 2 Jan 28, 2008 6:22 PM
Rutabagas in stews ival 2 Nov 9, 2009 2:25 PM
RUTABAGAS SIVAD331 3 Nov 9, 2009 5:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America