Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carnivorous Plants: My first sundew!

Communities > Forums > Carnivorous Plants
bookmark
Forum: Carnivorous PlantsReplies: 48, Views: 305
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seray53

November 9, 2009
7:06 AM

Post #7255196

Just wanted to share a pic of my first pygmy sundew. Drosera nitidula x pulchella I'm hooked. :)

Thumbnail by seray53
Click the image for an enlarged view.

blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 10, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #7257655

hey girlfriend,

it is bbeeeeeeautiful. i am going to start getting into them soon, i have white hooded pitcher plants that grow wild here and i got some planted by my pond
found some cool ones at my plant nursery, but i think i am going to wait til spring

blondie
seray53

November 10, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #7257972

Thanks Blondie

RRM shared some of her pitchers with us for the Goth garden and I got hooked. They are so interesting. I'm waiting for spring for some as well. This one is on my window sill and gets lots of sun. I have seeds stratifying so maybe I'll have babies to share. White ones and small purple ones. I imagine they take forever to get big.

Love to see your pictures!
seray53

November 10, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #7258613

My second. Hard to resist aren't they?

Thumbnail by seray53

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

November 10, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #7259223

Very nice!
seray53

November 10, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #7259512

Thanks! I think I've found my passion. LOL Wish my eyes could see the details like the lens. Pretty fantastic.

Are they hard to grow from seed?

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

November 10, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #7260646

What light source do they get? Sun or artificial? They are nice.
Cheryl
seray53

November 10, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #7260776

Thanks Cheryl

I have them sitting in a south window. Sun is on them most of the day. It's still warm and the humidity is high. Fingers crossed they'll do well. I want to put them outside this summer in a bog garden. Ambitious newbie. LOL Still have lots to learn.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 10, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #7261149

that second one is coool i like that i may just have to get one of them, here is a picture of the flower on my picture planti have some pictures of them in the wild let me go find them

Thumbnail by blondhavmofun

blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 10, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #7261175

here is one in the wild, if you want some i will send you some in spring time dont want to disturb them now.

blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 10, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #7261177

and here is another one, these grow wild all over in the woods behind my house and in a subdivision near my house

blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 10, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7261186

this was taken from the roadside they are about 15ft off the road billions of them they also have this other plant next picture

blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 10, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #7261202

this is club moss, it is not as easy to find, and hard to keep i lost mine.
blondie

seray53

November 10, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #7261251

Is the club moss a sundew? Those are fabulous pitchers! I've never seen them growing in the wild.
seray53

November 10, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #7261270

Blondie show the pictures on Charley's thread. They're discussing the growing requirements now. They'll be excited. Here's the link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1053461/
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 11, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #7261616

hey there,
just wanted to let you know that these plants are on a couple of undisturbed (at this time) land, plans of developement are in the near future so any plant that can be saved from distruction. any help would be greatly appreciated
blondie
seray53

November 11, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7261724

Beautiful plants. I'd be a shame to have them destroyed. Maybe someone at the University of Central FL could persuade the owner to donate them. It's a huge university I think. Any botanical gardens in the area?
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 11, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #7261736

i never thought of that and i work there lol
blondie
seray53

November 11, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #7261759

There you go. You never know who's a CP lover. :)
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 11, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #7261867

i have always loved them just been afraid to try them i was on this site and they gave me an idea. i will have to find it again and get a pic for you
blondie
seray53

November 11, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #7261908

I'd be curious to know what they look like in this season. I'm not sure they would be going dormant yet. Maybe someone else will tell us.
Fool4Flowers
Copperas Cove, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #7383152

How lucky you are to have them growing in the wild near you. Save them if you can. We have all got the carnivorous plant "bug" thanks to the goth garden, lol.
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 20, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #7384591

Seray, I think sundews are my favorite so far. I'll show the one I like best in just a sec. I have to get a pic :).
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 20, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #7384610

It is still new to me, but has dew on 3 leaves and I just love how it looks. It is drosera adalae and it is catching gnats and I guess I'm stuck on it too. I will find different varieties in the spring I hope :).

Thumbnail by 3jsmom31

seray53

December 20, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #7384937

Congrats again 3js for winning the Treasure Hunt. Can't wait to see all our CP's blooming this spring!

That is a great sundew! I like the broad leaves. So far they're my favorite also.

It's odd I've gardened all my life and just now fascinated by drooling pitchers and glittering dime size plants. LOL

We'll have lots in the spring. I will share all my seeds with you guys that I can get from the ICPS. They have a huge list of sundews. What they don't have is a D. falconeri. I guess Santa will have to hunt one for me. :)

I have gemmae starting to sprout from the pygmy sundew in the picture above. Still need a magnifying glass to see them. The mother plants have started producing new leaves and are beginning to put out flower buds again. I was surprised. Do you know if that's normal? I haven't had them long enough to get through a growing cycle.

3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 20, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #7384965

That is too funny. I just whacked my first leaf from adalae and stuck it in a cool fern/live sphagnum terrarium. I am hoping like mad that it will root in cool and humid. I have a small spathulata? too :). It is just barely starting to produce dew. From what I was reading this morning, I want to see one close its leaves (tentacle thingies) on its prey now. But alas, I can wait. I can. Really :) And same here about a recent interest. I love gessies, begonias, aroids and other plants, but only recently have become fascinated with carnivorous plants. Sticky, juicy, boggy and amazing... I am fighting the spiders for little insects to feed the plants. I think the spiders would make a meal in a pinch, until spring when they can catch their own outside.

Thumbnail by 3jsmom31

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

December 20, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7384975

Ah! They all look so good. I have mine (a scorpoides and nitilda x?) under artificial lights and they just are not looking that vibrant. The scorpoides is covered in fruit flies but doesnt grow much. The nitilda looks sad but oddly keeps making flowers. I am wondering if anyone knows of a brighter lights source for them? I do not know much about artifical lights. Perhaps they need to be moved closer to the light? Anyway, sundews are very interesting little plants and maybe I will figure out how to grow them without a sunny window.
C
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 20, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #7385027

The light is stronger closer to the bulb, and I think they like real sun. Scorpoides is one that traps insects with its tentacle thingies, right? I am green thumbed with envy :). Do you know if your plants are temperate or tropicals? Some need coolness and dormancy but I don't know who is who yet.
seray53

December 20, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #7385037

Hi Newton

I bought a sunlight desk lamp at Walmarts to supplement and they seemed to respond to it well. It's adjustable. Maybe that will work? I think the scorpoides are great sundews.

I got interested because we were doing a Goth garden as a group project. Now I'm hooked. LOL Aroids are next. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your leaf to root. I want to try it as well.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

December 20, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #7385052

3jsmom-both are tropical and are not supposed to need a dormant period. I understand they can still go dormant though.
seray-I think I will look for higher watt bulbs and make sure they are closer than they are now. I have also been leaving the lights on 24/7 (at school) even though I know better! Wonder if the lack of darkness is affecting them? I am also planning on setting up a window with flourescents at home, apparently I am hooked too!
C
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 20, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #7385059

They probably need rest. Get a timer if you can.
seray53

December 20, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #7385103

I noticed that with my D. capensis. I started losing dew when I left the light on too long.

Do your kids grow the CP's Newton? I looked at your post to see how we could help your class as a group. Wasn't sure how you used them in your class. ICPS will provide seeds for classrooms. We have a lot of interested gardeners who could probably sprout some for you. What kind of needs do you have?
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 20, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #7385186

Seray? Who is your second? They are both such nice pics. I just realized my second pic wasn't so good :). Oh well. I guess it gives the general idea.
seray53

December 20, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #7385213

Pic is Good enough. What is the name of your second one?

The second pic of mine is D. capensis red form. I got that one from cobraplant.com and I have to say it's the healthiest of all I have. Catches bugs and folds it's leaves over them. Scary to see so many catches since it's sitting in my south window. LOL
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 20, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #7385225

Well, I will have to look into it when my pocketbook recovers from the holidays. My small one was sold as spathulata? It has babies all around the bigger one. I may try to divide some, but am waiting til it recovers from being shipped.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

December 20, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #7385389

Honestly the only time they have "educational" purposes is when we have a unit on plants. I have grown a few over the years with little success and always found the kids treat them like pets. If nothing else they learn about nitrogen limitations and feeding habits. Some of the students water and check them several times a week. I will buy more when I get those 2 going well. Which species do you think is the hardiest of the tropical sundews? There is an asian pitcher plant in the same growing conditions and it is growing well and starting to put out some very nice sized pitchers.
C
seray53

December 20, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7385458

The nepenthes are very nice! I have one so far. Small ebay special. Hopefully it will do well. It's putting out pitchers and I'm trying to keep it humid enough for them to inflate.

I think the D. capensis are one of the most hardy as well as D. adelea that 3js shows in her first picture. I chose it as a beginner plant. Starsplitter has quite a few and would be able to tell you from her personal experience. She has a great collection.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #7403136

Newtonsthirdlaw I got seeds of the Nepenthes Rafflesiana and Nepenthes Maxima wavy leaves and dark spotted if you would like to try some for the class.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 30, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #7410543

Do you's refill your empty pitchers with abit of water when there posted to you? 1/3 full then check a few days later in case need top up, then they should be fine, depends how much moisture they suck up. Otherwise they just dry out and die without the water.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #7410556

Bree, not sure since mine are just seed form right now but will keep that in mind. Seray is on Vacation till after the holidays but will be back soon and sure she will let you know then about hers. Right now I just have the cobra lilies and seeds for the Nepenthes but no plants yet showing their little green heads.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 4, 2010
12:37 AM

Post #7424686

I filled the first few the plant produced but since have not and they are fine and have liquid in them. The pitchers now are much larger and i am not certain if that is a factor.
C
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 4, 2010
1:43 AM

Post #7424898

Putting a little water in the Nepenthes pitchers (about an inch) will make them last a little longer.
seray53

January 4, 2010
10:39 PM

Post #7428026

I have a question about Nepenthes pitchers. My little plant seems to be producing new leaves and pitchers but they aren't inflating? Does it take awhile? More light? They're in a south window. I spritz with RO water once or twice a day to keep the humidity up. It has one that was there when I bought it but starting to turn brown now. Temp is about 74-80. Any input will be greatly appreciated! :)
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 5, 2010
2:18 AM

Post #7428936

It takes a while. Don't bother misting, it's useless. If you want to increase humidity get a small humidifier. Humidity for them is a bit over rated. Winter is a slow time for them to pitcher. Do NOT worry about it. Keep moist and in bright, indirect sun. You'll be fine!
seray53

January 5, 2010
3:15 AM

Post #7429136

Thanks Tommy!

I'll move them a little out of the sun and watch them grow. I'll be excited when that first pitcher inflates though. I'll take a pic and we'll party! LOL
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

January 5, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7430524

hey seray

i dont know if you told me did you get the babies, i have had alot going on and cant remember, if so how are they doing, i have plenty more to dig up i want to try and get them to put by the edge of my lake.
blondie
seray53

January 5, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7431308

I sure did Blondie! They look good! How's the pink stemmed EE? Did you plant that around your pond? How are you protecting all your babies in this weather? It's cold here. 22 is too cold for 9a zone.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 14, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #7460343

Blondie- there sarracenia minor growing wild. And you only need to add water to nepenthes if its tipped out, like in the mail otherwise they produce it themselves. They open with the water in them.
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7750273

That sundew is amazing! Wow!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carnivorous Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vegitarian Plants BogweedBuck 15 Aug 1, 2008 9:14 AM
You all have got to see this! Equilibrium 21 Oct 15, 2008 5:40 PM
Philcula, bog pot or ground bog for new sarracenia hybrid GSkinner 36 Jan 17, 2010 7:35 AM
Let's make a little bog garden! Pixydish 31 Oct 4, 2007 3:17 AM
A couple of my CPs I have yet to kill off Gerris2 9 Apr 28, 2007 7:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America