Photo by Melody

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: pineapple plant

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 1, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cattlecountry
Shepherd, MT

November 9, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #7255931

I have a pinapple plant that I started 7 years ago, I keep it in the house and it has not flowered yet. What do I need to do to make it flower? The pinapple came from Hawaii and was easy to start, i ahve tried to start teh ones I bougth at the store but have had no luck.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #7259650

Hey, CCountry. If your pineapple has been in the same pot for 7 years, it may need repotting to a slightly larger size pot. If you have some rich compost (and in cattle country, I imagine there is lots of composted manure available LOL), mix the compost about half and half with some sand in order to provide good drainage for the pineapple.

Here's a quote from a website ( http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Pineapple/pineapple.htm ) that provides much more detailed instructions for growing pineapple plants and bringing them to fruit. The common problems of getting a pineapple plant to grow from the bromeliad crown of a store bought pineapple fruit might be 1. overwatering -- make sure the pineapple is in a sandy soil to start so that it has good drainage and probably only water about once per week, 2. make sure you pull off some of the bottom leaves to expose part of the stem and the primordia roots -- this will help encourage the roots to grow, 3. Some people let the bromeliad crown dry out for a day or two and then start the crown in a cup of water which might work better for you. But I've never had any trouble by my method of just pulling off a few bottom leaves of the bromeliad crown and placing the exposed stem in sandy soil directly into my garden so I haven't tried the more detailed instructions.

The nice thing about growing pineapple plants from store bought fruit is that there is not much lost in the process -- you get to eat a healthy fruit and if the crown doesn't take, you can just buy another pineapple fruit and try again. LOL It may help also to let the store bought fruit ripen to the point of almost being over-ripe - bright yellow - by leaving it in a sunny window for a day or two. The pineapple fruit I see in most stores seems to have been picked when they are fairly green and possibly sprayed with ethylene gas to promote ripening while in transit. Letting the fruit set in a sunny window for a day or two will allow it to become more naturally ripe.

I hope this helps and best wishes for good luck on your next pineapple starts and on getting your current pineapple plant to flower!

Jeremy
(Below notes from http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Pineapple/pineapple.htm about methods to induce flowering in an indoor pineapple plant. You may need to contact a welder or welder supply company if you decide to use the calcium carbide method. I did a quick search and found this source for retail sales of calcium carbide on-line, offered only as a possible source for a retail purchase -- there are probably other places to buy the chemical and I am not implying a recommendation or endorsement for this source.) http://wardsci.com/product.asp?pn=IG0015129&sid=google&eid=cpc&cm_mmc=google-_-cpc-_-ward-_-CalciumCarbide&WT.term=calcium carbide&WT.campaign=193&WT.source=google&WT.medium=cpc&WT.content=640744&cshift_ck=1553725382cs640744&WT.srch=1&bhcd2=1257864085

Quoting: Forced Fruiting

It is best to force the plant to flower during the winter months when the days are cooler and shorter as this is when a pineapple is accustomed to making fruit.

The first technique is to lay the plant and pot on its side between waterings. This interferes with hormones in the plant, causing the production of another hormone, ethylene, which induces flowering.

A second method of inducing flowering is to place the plant in a bag with two ripe & bruised apples for two weeks. Move the plant to a shady location during this time, and then move it back to its sunny spot. The ripening apples produce ethylene gas that will induce flowering in the pineapple.

A third method is to place a small lump of calcium carbide about the size of your little fingernail in the center of your plant and pour a quarter cup of water over it. This will release acetylene gas that will force your plant to flower. To improve your chances of success, it is best to treat your plant in the evening after the sun goes down and temperatures are cooler. (Calcium carbide may be obtainable at a welding shop, garden store, pharmacy or toy store.)

Two to three months later, the plant should form a flower spike in its center.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America