Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: too prickly!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 1, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rroyce
Hillsborough, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #7256946

We have grown pineapples several times from the crowns of fruit we have eaten. We have never gotten fruit even moving the potted plants in each winter to avoid our zone 7 frosts. I finally threw out my huge pineapple plant because I have small children and the leaves of the plant were dangerously sharp and cutting. There was no place to put such a monster inside. It reminded me of people that start with a cute little pet alligator and when it grows too big for the bathtub, watch out!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #7259703

Hi, rroyce! Thanks for your comments. The prickly barbs on pineapple plants certainly are a consideration if you have small children. In your climate, you might try growing the pineapple outdoors in a very sunny location and building a temporary cold frame around them for the winter with a glass or plastic top. Toss in a few long strings of Christmas twinkle lights and I think the pineapple bromeliads would come through the winter without much damage. I've found the pineapple plants to be far more cold hardy than most sources indicate and they grow much better outdoors and you can build a small fence around them to prevent accidental injuries to children or pets.

Happy Gardening!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America