-
AuthorContent
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #7259336

I love those cabbage collards from the field vetween Clayton and Smithfield. I need some seeds as I have not gotten to Raleigh since last year.
Any ideas where to get seeds?

Lavina
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

November 11, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #7261394

Lavina, keep looking on here - I recently saw someone else asking about collards, but I don't remember where it was.
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

November 11, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #7261397

can you tell me where you used to get yours? maybe I can fetch them for you if you can tell me where. I am going to be going down that way sometime - I love to Christmas shop that Smithfield shopping area. (Randall is "Big Dogs" size!)

This message was edited Nov 10, 2009 7:12 PM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #7262685

Here's the other thread on the cabage collards.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1047864/

Good luck, they must be delicious as there seems to be so much interest in them.

LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #7266398

They are delicious, and I used to get them at Logan's
The place at Smithfield is chop your own, they give you a axe and you go in the field and cut down the ones you want.
I'm getting hungry.

Lavina
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

November 12, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #7267354

did you get the seeds, or the plants, at Logans? at the Farmer's Market, right? just tell me which to get. If you can tell me how to cook them so they are "tangy, not bitter" I'll get them to you, Lavina.

I never liked my mom's. Recently my daughter, of all people, talked me into trying some at 42 Street Oyster Bar and they were divine! they had a wonderful tang to them, no bitterness at all.

Now whenever Mom or Dad go to Duke Medical Center, I volunteer to drive them and we'll stop at Bullocks for barbeque and collards. Or my friend, who has my 2nd iris garden over near the Neuse River, and I have them at Knightdale Seafood and Barbeque.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #7267575

I got seeds.

LOL I did not know you liked collards or I would have cooked you some before I moved.

Lavina
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

November 13, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #7268527

where did you find the seeds?

and PLEASE PLEASE would you tell me how to cook theM?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #7268639

See my link above to the other thread on these plants. I bet Shoe would share a few.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #7269677

I got a few that shoe has but they are not as good as cabbage collards. Cabbage collards are milder and have small heads.

Bonnie go toward Smithfield, the patch is before you get to the turn off split. If you go to the pottery you can't miss it.

Chop them up after rinsing leaves and put in pot . Cover with water. Put in table spoon of sugar and 1 small slice fat back.
I let mine boil about 30 minutes. Cook longer if you like them real soft.

Lavina
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

November 13, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #7270021

thanks I'll try that.

head to Smithfield on Interstate 95? or Hwy 70?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7271458

Sorry, I didn't mean Shoe but FarmerDill who has the seeds.
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

November 13, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #7271570

girl, you know I miss you, right?
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #7276683

Yelp and I am trying to get this puter going at home. We have had to put it in the trailer next door just to get the southern sky.

Hwy 70 just past the drug factory. Used to be Bayer factory now the name starts with Ta something. On the right behind a white houise. I think they have up a collard sign.

Lavina
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

November 16, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #7278695

will look next time down that way.

southern sky helps computers, heh? LOL

talked to Pat recently? can never reach her on the phone, but she found me a couple days back. She's been sick again, on her 9th course of antibiotics, she says. but they've moved into a rental house a couple houses down the street from their dear church buddies, and she's in heaven for that! I know it's a burden off Roy's shoulders to have her happy.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #7279614

Its a satalite thingy and I can't spell satalite right .LOL
I need to send my cousin to see Pat.
D mail me.Send me her new address so I can get Christmas card to the right place.

Lavina
DianaT
Mullins, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #7296737

Does anyone live near there that would be willing to go get seeds? I've been trying to get hold of these ever since my Grandma passed away 15 years ago :( I miss her so much and she loved these collards, saved her own seed year after year.
Boy she could cook some collards, too.
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

November 22, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #7297745

how did she cook them Diana? I want to try several ways.

editted to add - I don't live far, but I"m not going down there until after Thanksgiving some time. It's about 1 hour, with all of raleigh - heavy traffic - in between me and smithfield.

Lavina, I'm just about done potting up irises for spring sales next year. wish me luck!

This message was edited Nov 21, 2009 7:28 PM
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

November 22, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #7297766

oops, completely forgot to write what I started to write to begin with - Lavina, I'm going to POSSIBLY - not for certain yet - go up towards Hillsborough. someone on craigslist is offering collard starts at a decent price per dozen. I've emailed and asked "are they cabbage collards?" and the answer was "yes, some folks call these cabbage collards". think I should take a chance? that's just as far as Smithfield.
DianaT
Mullins, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #7297827

I can never get mine to taste as good as hers. But I don't have the right kind of collards either LOL so that's strike one from the get go.
She would put big chunks of smoked ham in, and the skin from the ham along with the hambone. She always said not to use a smoked picnic because it wouldn't be as good.

I could never get my mustard greens to tase as good as hers either. She would put cornmeal dumplings in those and lord have mercy...my aggravating dumplings never hold together like hers and just don't have the same texture somehow. I wish I'd paid more attention to how she made them when I was young but I was more interested in inheriting her green thumb back then.

People around here plant something they call cabbage collards but it's not the same ones. I tried those and they don't even look right when they're growing. I think they're really the Morris Heading collards. Real cabbage collards are lighter colored and more tender and mild tasting.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #7302639

Ym yum The ones in Clayton are ready to cook. They alread have a head with nice leaves.

I'd be starved if I had to wait to grow them, but they will keep growing thru spring.

Lavina.

bonjon
Raleigh, NC

November 23, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7303953

you are not going to believe this - I was in Kenly just yesterday, but did not dare stop.

someone had a stray calico kitten dropped off near the farm across the street. they could not keep her - more later, Randall wants me to come eat.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #7305411

Bonnie, you are bad. And while I'm saying that I have 2 who were thrown away.
My last ditch bunny was supposed to be another German Shepherd thurns out he's a rockweilder mix. But he's a honey just way to short.LOLO

Did you see the collard patch?
Lavina
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

November 24, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7305611

no - we never got as far as Smithfield.

what I started to say was, Randall had had a calico kitten when he was stationed in Scotland. He was trying to get a date with this gal, and she asked him if he'd like a kitten. He figured on getting a date. But the reason she was giving the kitten away was she was shipping out in 12 hours, so he never got the girl, doesn't remember her name. He had the cat for 17 years and mourned for 3 years at her passing. hasn't accepted a cat since.

Conned him into going with me down to Lucama, just above Kenly. I took the kitten in my arms, walked up to him, handed her off to him, he was greeting her warmly when I told him she was his Christmas present, if he wanted her and liked her, that she didn't have a home, and that, this time, he got the girl first. From now on I wanted to be part of that story. On the drive home, he named her Faith because she greeted him nose to nose then curled up in his arms like she had faith she was meant to be here.

That's the way she's been since. She acts like she's always meant to be here. She doesn't try to bolt the door, but it's been raining since she got here. And, though we were told she was a barn cat, she went to the litter box he made her, scratched, and used it. so she had a home at one time and knows the ropes. She's a wee thing, doubt she's six months old yet. Boy is she hungry.

The dog's name is Hope. The jokes and puns are running deep. "Where's Faith?" "Don't know, but Hope's gone too." "Do you have Faith?" "nope, and I don't have Hope either."

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America