Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: Granite tiles to cabinet knobs and pulls

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 10, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #7259956

I had what I thought was a brilliant idea last night. When I told my husband the idea, he didn't know if it would work or not.

I realize that you folks make your own... but couldn't think of any place else here to ask this...

We have some leftover granite tiles from remodeling our kitchen. I'd like to take them some place (I have no idea where yet) and have them cut circles from the tiles and then grind them down and buff them to make drawer pulls and cabinet knobs. I realize that the tiles aren't that thick, but if they made the edges like a bullnose effect, we could use stainless spacers to pull them away from the wood of the cabinets. I've seen knobs on the internet made from granite very similar to my own, but with as many as I will need, it would get extremely expensive. I was just thinking that this would be a way to recycle the extra tiles and have them match the counters.

Am I dreaming? Or do y'all think this would be a possibility?

Janet

ps... googling, I found this website that I am going to check out.
http://www.myknobs.com/artinstondec.html

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Click the image for an enlarged view.

shelley1962
Churubusco, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #7259974

Talk to the people who installed the countertop - they may have to cutting and polishing tools to do it. If you installed it yourself talk to a local installer or tile store.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #7260005

The folks that installed it don't have the equipment. I had to take the tiles I needed bullnosed elsewhere. I will call THOSE folks today to see if they can do it.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2009
7:01 AM

Post #7262508

Here's my recommendation: get a diamond-bit hole saw the size you want your knobs to be, cut the circles and then you can grind the edges smooth with an electric sander & fine wet-dry sandpaper. DH did the bullnoses on our onyx tiles himself after watching the pros do some of them.
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

November 11, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #7263169

sounds like a wonderful idea. I agree with imapigeon...I have an electric drill that I can attach most of those sanders, drills, etc onto and it works great. I even use it for grinding my glass for stained glass projects. Don't forget your safety goggles and mask. Please post photos when you get some finished!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #7263178

After looking at that site I posted, and a few others... the cost of ready made knobs, etc. is $9 -17 EACH. YIKES!!! Got side tracked yesterday so didn't get any calls made about this. I will be making some calls today to see if the guys that did the bull nose can do what I want. Not sure if any of them speak English though, so may have to print out some photos and take them over there so they know what I really want.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #7378412

At those prices, I would just use a diamond blade and cut the squares out and sand and polish them myself! I might not be able to make them round, but rectangles would work and would not break the bank!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7378450

That sounds like the best idea yet Juney. Thanks

Janet
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #7378535

+ ^_^ +
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 18, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #7379421

It is amazing how much the little things cost. It is probably much harder to work with a small knob that a large tile.
alenmics
Hollister, ID

December 17, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9360370

Another condition to take into account is the individuals living in the household. Slicking Up your furniture can be fun when you are only considering of your preference. Yet if there are other residents in the house such as minors then they should have weight in the decision-making. Why is this? Because knobs may be tiny things but they should be chosen with care. If there are youngsters in the house then prefer knobs that are rounded and smooth. This is particularly right when an area of a piece of furniture is always knocked into whether by a kid or an adult. Safety and beauty should go hand in hand. Besides, if there are kids in the home, it would be best too if they can have their own say in picking out the knobs. Some knobs come in manners that youngsters would certainly enjoy such as cars, animals, flowers, bears, etc.

The size of the room is another issue. If the room or the space is modest choose the small and flat ones for knobs and other accents as well. To heighten the visual aspect of a knob, a backplate is advised. This cosmetic piece gives the look of a more refined look and can be a cover up for other holes that have been had during previous Ceramic Cabinet Knobs installations. Find the beautiful cabinet know at http://www.bestar-furniture.com/ceramic-cabinet-knobs

This message was edited Dec 17, 2012 5:29 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America