Photo by Melody

Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow: Royal British Legion!

Communities > Forums > Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow
bookmark
Forum: Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies GrowReplies: 8, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 11, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #7263257

In England Remembrance day is a passion, indeed like many other countries around the World.
Our Remembrance Day is the closest Sunday to Armistice day, so was on the 8th of November this year. Where our Queen lays a wreath of poppies at the Cenotaph, in honour of everyone, who paid the ultimate sacrifice then and now!
Today is Armistice day so all the radio stations, played Big Ben striking eleven o'clock across London, then the Nation fell silent for two minutes. For it was on the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, that the first World War came to an end in Europe.
The buses, cars and trains stop, to remember the sacrifices made and how lucky the youngsters are. Lest we forget!
Then as on Remembrance Day the sad words are read out.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn,
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

For The Fallen by Laurence Binyon

"When You Go Home, Tell Them of Us, And Say,
For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today."
Kohima Epitaph; John Maxwell Edmonds (1875 - 1958)

Our poppies are made by the war disabled ex servicemen, for the Royal British Legion!
They are then sold by Veterans like myself, normally in the rain and cold. There is no price on them you can put in whatever you so wish, as we are a registered Charity, all the money goes to those who need it. I know as I am a caseworker for them which is Voluntary.
Luckily the British public is very kind to the poppy appeal, it is not often you see anyone without a poppy on.
On the Saturday before Remembrance Day there is a memorial service in the Royal Albert Hall, it is a very moving sight. For at the end of the service as Last post is played, and the people say there own thank you's in silence, out of the roof comes a poppy for every person killed in action! Millions of poppies floating down on everyone.
Every town has a War Memorial, so this goes on all over the Country as well.
In Flanders there is a War Memorial called the Menin Gate, on it there are the names of 54,896 Soldiers with no known graves. down the road is Tyne Cot cemetery, that has 34,984 names on it. These Soldiers were never found.
Here are some pictures of this massive Memorial, taken by me some years ago.
Regards from England.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 11, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #7263259

Another moving sight!

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 11, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #7263266

One more, should we ever forget!

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7263313

Thanks for sharing those images and memories, Neil. Ben spent quite a bit of time in England, so I know he'll appreciate your thoughts.

Brenda
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 11, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #7263626

During the Great War this was said to be the most dangerous place on earth!
Hellfire Corner, about 5 miles from the Menin Gate in Ypres.
Regards.
Neil.
It is obviously not my picture but was sent to me years ago, as a reminder.
For they were eye deep in Hell!

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

November 11, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #7264823

We were in London on Remembrance Day several years ago and it was very moving.The British are very constant about this and flowers are everywhere - especially on lapels!

My husband's grandfather is buried in Etaples, France and my grandfather's brother died in France, also. Does anyone else have people to remember?

Thank you, Neil, for the photos.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

November 12, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #7265229

Luckily my Dad & his brothers came back from France although one uncle was sent to Russia, picked up TB & could not continue work as an entomoligist. (sp?). I hope all remember those who serve living as well as dead.
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

November 14, 2009
5:27 AM

Post #7272520

I really should sign into Dave's Garden a bit more often. I am very sorry I missed this. I wish to thank the administrators of this site for reposting my Memorial Day article on Veteran's Day. We observed the day quietly in our new home. We said prayers for family members who served in the military and even fought in some of the wars. Neil, I thank you for bringing attention to Remembrance Day. As Brenda mentioned, I spent over eight years outside of London and I was moved every year by the passion and consideration displayed for all of those we owe so much to today. Thank you for the images. They are very moving.

I too share the hope of Iris and hope that we all remember those who have served and those who continue to serve.

I thank you all again and wish you nothing but the best of all things.

Blessings,
Ben
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 14, 2009
8:36 AM

Post #7272755

Dear Ben, no thank you and the administrators, for bringing something back to the memory of people, that may have forgotten.
Here it is taught by the Royal British Legion, in schools, if the schools so want it, which most do!
For if you think that over 1 million British soldiers died, plus untold thousands injured in the First World War, let alone American, and so many other nations, it should be Remembered.
I think the saddest thing is to look at the ages of some of the soldiers, some as young as 14 years old. They lied about their age to do their duty, and paid the ultimate sacrifice.
Even sadder were the youngsters shot by their own troops, as they did not know what shell shock was then, we call it PTSD now.
One boy soldier was so shell shocked he went the wrong way; was charged with cowardice and executed, he was 15!
He was only one of many.
That was supposed to be the War that ended all Wars, it did not quite work like that.
I met many Americans in France and Belgium, just wanting to see their great granddads grave from the First & Second World War. They were stunned to see the crosses row upon row as far as the eye can see.
Apart from Hellfire corner which was sent to me they are my pictures, and you have my full permission to use them!
Here is my wife in 1940s dress, at the 60th VJ party. The buffet was made by us two the fruit cake by my mother, iced by the wife.
This is only a tiny bit of it as there was 150+ people to feed, so it took a lot of work!
Regards from England.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting history KyWoods 1 May 26, 2008 2:41 PM
Thanks for the reminder doccat5 0 May 26, 2008 9:50 AM
Remembrance vs. Memorial Day judithht 0 May 26, 2008 10:48 AM
Thank You darius 6 May 26, 2008 11:17 PM
In Flanders Fields myrcou 0 May 26, 2008 2:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America