Red Neck Gardening 2010 - Can it get any crazier than this?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, now I have gone and dun it... this here is gonna be the whaackiest garden thread of all.

Show us those strange, lovely, wierd, whaaaaaacky garden plots and pots !
Whats your secret? Whats growing around your outhouse, your camper, trailer, your tent? Recycled cycles? Beans in a shoe bag?

Posies in the commode? Tarro in the tars? Lets GITER DUN!

To start things rolling.. I got garlic in my tar....(Well, whadda ya expect, Ima a yankee!)

And that there is a a Chevy pickum up beauty ring! (Dont mind my weeds in thar.. I have not had time to pluck um!)

Whats yers? Im out of ideas for purdy-n up the place..and....I seriously need help!

(Beans in a shoe bag.... thats what started this mess!)

Edited becuz I put garlic in the tar, not chives! Oops!

This message was edited Nov 12, 2009 10:16 AM

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,the best I can do at the moment is a drainage pipe hub's cut into 3 sections that I use to grow yummies in.

I have done the plants is toilet thing and still would like to"install" a complete bathroom somewhere in the yard.Sink,tub,toilet and all. Tub ,of course would be water feature as well the tank on the toilet w/bowl(w/small fountain pump spurting water) and sink planted in shades of blue and white for the "water"...trailers "spilling over".....and put the toilet in a stall of lattic w/ vines. I mean if your gonna go redneck gardening ...go whole hog or nothing.

Can't get much more redneck than that except for the car jacked up on cider blocks and I did one try to talk my neighbor out of an old pickup,I wanted to"park" next to my big pond and rig up the radiator as a waterfall pouring out like it busted and plant the bed with flowers.He refused to part with saying he was going to re-build it but 8-10 yrs later is hasn't moved from the spot nor changed one bit.

I have some little cold cast resin shoes from the "Everything for a Dollar" store planted w/ mini hens and chicks.

Oh yeah and an old stock waterer planted in cole crops on the front patio.

Thumbnail by bigred
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, you go girl! Show us the pics!

I have a double bucket washtub somewhars around here that I plan to plant up in the spring.

Heyars the coleus in a shoe....

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

OK, well , we just cant have too many shoe pots now can we.. indoors or out!

Oh, and Red, thats Bossy! Mooooooo!

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Closest thing I gots is my ol' red wagon that I rescued off'n Craigslist. It was all rustimacated, so I gussied 'er up with some spray paint.

Hubby won't let me have no tars... I wanted some o' them thar tractor ones, but he said they was tacky. Can you believe that high-falootin' snob?

Thumbnail by the1pony
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Whyyyyyyy thaaaaat thar high faaaaa-looting snob!! Yano what, some jolly neighbor here tried to sig the EPA after us fer having some of those gorgeous big ole JOHN DEERE tractor tars laying around. Well yano, I got them laying hither and yon all over the place and well, the EPA found out I had holes drilled in them and so I got to keep them.. a hole BIG BA-unch of them! *grin*

I use them for feeders for the critters and raised beds for my yummies and well, Ima just laughing because the jolly good neighbor thought he was gonna git me in trouble for being an environmental devastation so talk about HIGH and MIGHTY High falooting snobs! And yano what, I think I will get me s'more! Cant say I aint doin nuthin to protect this yar enviro-ment.

Heres one of me JD tars with the strawerberries in it! Aint it precious?

I filled that thar tar up with that thar pony poo our puny ponies keep putting out and waaay up to the brim and stuck my berries in it and yano they is just growing great guns now! And taint nuthin tacky about it. We make goood use of ALL our man-nur!

Fly tape, now thats tacky! But well worth the investment, but well, whadda ya do with it when yer through? Never touch the stuff....

RED! 8 years its a waste, but 10 years EPA calls it a DUMP! Now that thars a dirty rotten shame to let a spunky rusty old automobile go for good fer nuthin! I bet the water feature on it is just awful by now....

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

oops, got so carried away I fergot the piture!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh oh oh! And if-n ya leaves the steel rims in them purdy BIG JD tars, they makes the best feeders cuz ya aint gotta drill no holes in them!

And the best part, the critters cant get hung up in them and hart them selfs!

That thar's a mighty fine-lukkin tar ya got planted up all purty. I shore wish Pa would git off'n his high horse and let me have summa them!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Did I mention the fact that they make great sand boxes too for the kiddies????? (See pony, Im trying to promote that "green" thing ever ones is do-in!!)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

And on the topic of strawberries.. hmmm check this one out!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1043339/#new

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

We had a couple of old chest type freezers,I had hub's take the lids off then he shot holes in the bottoms with his 22(any excuse to shoot sumthin...LOL),painted them John Deere Green(he Luuuvvv's his JD green),set them up on blocks and planted them in strawberries so next year I don't have to stoop and bend to pick berries.

Don't have a close up picture but look thur the trellis down the pathway and you can see them.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2009 5:51 AM

Thumbnail by bigred
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Wull Red, thats just sweet! I wont stoop so low ta pick berries of the groun neither! So we-ins got sumthin more than JD GREEN in common!

Doncha jes luuuuv pony's red wagon up thar! I jes don git it why her Pa wont bend like a willow on them thar purdy tars.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Oo-Wee,that sh'are is a prudy red wagin! Prudier than a speckled pup under a red wagin wid yaller spokes.

I gots me a red wagin too but it's a shopping cart for my nursery. Bunch of old whalebearuz I werk the tars offen of,I could plant in though.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

whalebearuz?????What the .......is dat? i need a pitcher!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

ya know...whalebearaz wid da one tar that you push around to hails garden leaving to da burn or compost piles

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dog gone that waaay southurn dialek of yern, now if ya'd a said a WILBUR, Id knowed whachoo were yammering about. WILBUR!

Ima gonna have ta get ye a pitcher of what I thought you was talking abought...

A whalebearaz is an over wait donkee uppa yer! A wilbur is a thingee with da wan wheel. Sheesh now. Put yer teeth in crooked and get th fonix corectal!

What there skool didja grad-gee-8 from any hows??

Soz, ya gonna show us yer wilbur? I can show ya my whalebearaz...that is if-n he hold still long enugh fer me to gits da pitcher.....

*bustin a gut*

Y'all is crakkin me right UP!

Pa still won' let me have no tars, but I got me some mighty fine big ole shippin' craytes made outta wood, and he be cuttin em down fer me to plant mah razzleberries n gurlik in.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Now this aheyar is a wilbur.....

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

And thisy heyar is a wilbur.....

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

sorry...didn't mean to corn-fuse ya

I haven't planted my wilburs lately so no pixchurs

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thas ok, i jes get tossed at yer heavy droool than mine! Its dat union/yankee thang!

So ok, whar was we....

Oh yeah, pony, whoah giarl, git R dun! Pa's bending!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Check out FelderRushing.com if you want to see some unique garden art! He's the co-author of the book Pass Along Plants and radio host in Jackson, Ms. You'll get a big kick out of his gardens and they will bring you lots of smiles and laughter and say to yourself, "Now why didn't I think of that?"

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well bigred just took rednecking to a new level.. I got my "Hillbilly Oscar"

I reckon I will cheerish it forever....

Um, Red, I am old enuff aint I?

TADA! Kiss kiss, bow.........

rrrrip! (....oops sorry there Zeb.... )

Musak........musak.....dump dee dump de dumpity dump da dump dump dump dump dump dump!

LOL!

Tada, Oh thank you thank you my loyal fan! Bow Kiss KISSSS!

Oh and a hug!

Broadview, SK(Zone 3a)

There surely should be a warnin' at the start of this thread to tell us older gals to be sure we have our Depends on afore we start readin'

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh Lard, do I dare show ya the innerds of that thar thing?

Its just too bad we-ins all dont got listen o-vision! Impraaav ken git rail
difficult fer a rednek!

(I been trying to get Dave to go smell-o-vision, but sumthin aint werking right with the softwhar! )

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,there ya go! That last post was the topper on the Hillbilly award....LOL

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Do ya think there gonna let us back in at the Bahhumbug Cafe?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,I did post xnmas pictures and stockings full of candy. Ya's think that count fer sumthin

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hilarious posts all!
Big Red, I busted a gut with your hubs shooten holes the bottom for your freezers!

My hubs had a fit when I used Fresh Step Kitty litter buckets as containers for my upsidedown tomatos. Had them hanging from a shepards hook for all the neighbors to see.

Blossom, my brother did the truck tire sand box thing. Sure wish I had that tire now.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

2 few! Well git down to the CAFE 25 and maybe Sanity will git ya one! Things are gitting serious down there Santas impatiens have also run out. Now git....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060757/

Ho HOE HOOOOOE!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Redneck pine....

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Just when I thought Redneck gardening was at its zaniest.. then there was the pepper thread....

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

The whackiest thing I've done recently is lay claim to piles of concrete chiseled out of a parking lot. My brother had a guy drop several loads of concrete chunks on the vacant lot next door. He had planned to use them to line our ditchbank, like rip-rock, for weed control.

Anytime anything's happening around here, I have to go stick my nose in it, so I went to investigate these piles the dump truck left here. Much to my delight, what do I see? Big concrete squares! Like 6 x 6 ft and 4 x 4ft, about 4-6 inches thick! Don't you know my mind was racing like crazy!

As soon as Terry got home, I asked him what he planned to do with all the concrete. His response was, "Whatever we wanna do." I asked, "We who?" He waved his hands towards himself, my other brother and me, and said, "We." I asked hopefully, my little heart pounding with excitement, "You mean we, as in ME?" He laughed and said, "Yeah, that's what I meant to say--YOU! Whatever YOU want to do with it."

So he's going to borrow a friend's bobcat and help me move all these slabs throughout the gardens to form the patios I have planned. I don't really know exactly how we'll get them right into place. (Any suggestions would be wonderful!) As big as they are, we wouldn't be able to move them by hand. Even the broken pieces will be used. I'll lay them and stain them to look like flagstone.

People do look at us strangely for piling up this concrete. We're on a main highway in town and I'm sure people driving down the highway think we're nuts. But once it's all put in place, it's going to be wonderful. Below is a picture of some of the concrete. The driver brought a couple more loads after I took this picture. I get high just thinking about the patios and pathways I can create with what would have been at the city landfill.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

BFchaser,
Hub's use to do construction and when they finished a job and cleaned it up,I got all kinds of goodies like this.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Red, I used to work in construction too. It's amazing how much the construction companies waste. We did new construction (6,000 sq ft homes) and remodels and there was always useful materials being thrown out on every job.

I bought a truck and began hauling home anything that was "dumpster-bound" that I thought I could use. After a couple of years of stockpiling, I had enough lumber and materials to build a house, which I did, with my brother's help. My 1200 sq ft home cost me $20,000. My brother is an architect so he has lots of connections in the construction field. And it still amazes me all the stuff we get for free.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Good deal Butterfly. That's really bringing it in under budget.*S*

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, back to this nonsense...

Strawberries ala tire!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

ole headboard to hold my potted plants

Thumbnail by bigred
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

How pretty!! I love the colors you chose, Bigred. And the headboard looks so elegant there. What a great idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images