Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Fall Table Centerpiece

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 15, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #7264902

So what is going to be on your table for Thanksgiving - besides the turkey of course. I made this today with a few of my gourds, candles a berry vine and an artichoke from the grocery and a few pinecombs. That is a dried dahlia and some sort of seed pod.

Thumbnail by haighr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #7264907

From the top - and yes Terri on this one the back is just as nice with pinecombs and such.

Thumbnail by haighr

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #7265685

Very nice, Candee. I don't normally have a centerpiece for Thanksgiving - only had some when the kids were little and they make those paper turkeys in school LoL.

Probably be having Thanksgiving at my sister's, so I won't need a centerpiece this year.

Dried Dahlia - a real dried dahlia? Or something that is made to resemble a dahlia???? Neat looking - whatever it is. You are really making good use of your gourds. I love it when things can be used again and again.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #7266419

It is supposed to be a real dried dahlia, but not one of mine and it has been somehow hardened, got it at a floral shop and have no idea how it might have been done but the mellow colors in it really caught my eye thinking it would be perfect. Wish I had a wider container to have staggered the candles a bit and wish I had gotten a much taller pillar (may just do that). You know me Dianne, I just don't like things to be too symmetrical.
Thanks for your compliments, I really kinda liked how it came out. Will likely be using these gourds until they rot!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #7267329

Ok..here the ladybug centerpiece again from last Christmas theme of sunflowers and ladybugs. Had the ladybug cache pots for a while but couldn't find any ladybug ornaments localy so I had to make some.

Thumbnail by bigred

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #7267362

Very nice spread - so are ladybugs your favorite thing? Sure makes for nice pots, what is it sitting on Peggy? The sunnies really set it off.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #7267370

the extra long dining room table my hub's built for me
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #7267381

Your hub is quite the builder - how fortunate for you!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #7267404

here it is right after I finished beating it up and making it look old and before the new room was completed

Thumbnail by bigred

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 12, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #7267414

Hi all. My dahlia radar picked up your luvly centrepiece haighr :-) I haven't tried drying dahlias yet but the best info I can find says to use silica gel

"Some flowers, such as dahlias, zinnias, feverfew, delphiniums, snapdragons, and daisies, dry best in silica gel (found at craft and hobby stores). Place flower heads face up on a 1-inch bed of silica gel crystals in an airtight container. Also, gently shake crystals over flowers, covering completely. Seal container. Leave for two days to one week, checking often to avoid overdrying (flowers will become brittle)"

I'm going to try it next summer and then spray them so they have a longer life (hopefully). I'll post my results.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #7267416

Very nice - you did a nice job distressing it.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #7267435

Thank you dahlianut - I will be watching to see how it works out for you. I do have a number of dahlias that I would love to dry and harden off and spray. Perhaps we can both try that method next year.
The dahlia in my centerpiece came from a florist shop and is the hardened type. The pinecombs are from Canada and one of these days I will make a centerpiece using some giant pinecombs my dad brought from Canada years ago. He hand picked these little ones and brought me the smallest and the largest pinecombs he found up there when snowmobiling one season. The gourds are from my garden and the artichoke from the grocery LOL!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 12, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #7267468

I made a centrepiece Christmas tree with artichokes one year. They have such great shape and colour. (Drat that I didn't take a pic!) It was for an open house and the next night we ate it. Yummmmmm.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #7267495

I don't think I'm going full out on decorating like normal or at least not putting up a big tree...just the 4 ft.table top size and decorating in organics
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #7267520

We always go away at Christmas so I don't decorate like in past years, sometimes do a real tree other times no tree other times a small artificial tree and then get out my table decorations from years past. Not sure what I will do this year just working on Thanksgiving right now.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #7267585

My DD and her 3 kids just moved away to San Antonio and probably won't be back for this years holidays and DS divorced fairly recently so he's Mr Grinch at the moment.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America