Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Recycling Fall Leaves & More as Fabulous FREE Garden Mulch: It's all good

Communities > Forums > Article: Recycling Fall Leaves & More as Fabulous FREE Garden Mulch
bookmark
Forum: Article: Recycling Fall Leaves & More as Fabulous FREE Garden MulchReplies: 5, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2009
8:41 AM

Post #7266179

Yesterday I put a nice layer of newspaper under my red 'japanese' maple, and topped it with pine needles harvested from the neighbor's yard. (silly guy would mow them up and bag them) More pine straw goes around my blueberries, nice and pretty. A big cardboard box is about to become a winter -roof- for my compost bin, and a pathway mat next year. And some of the tree leaves have been raked back under the trees where I hope they stay until I have time to top with a light layer of wood mulch. Yes, mulch is our friend!

Hey, what is that plant next to the Coffeegrounds header?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #7266503

I get good stuff from my silly neighbors, also... sometimes in neat bags, other times I catch them sooner and go over with my wheelbarrow!

That's a 'Sweet Pickles' pepper plant -- a young one, already producing with enthusiasm. My peppers and tomatoes love their mulch of fresh grass clippings!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 12, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #7266629

My neighbor burned his leaves this year. I hung in the air all day right on top of us. It looked like a hazy fog all day and it was bright and clear every where else. My whole house smoked up. In the middle of the night my son and I both woke up trying to get our breaths. On top of it all we had the flu (it is not that bad, but like a bad chest cold, and you get sleepy with it).

Anyway I like my neighbor, but I think I will do sally g's thing and ask him for his leaves next year. I put in a new blueberry patch this year and -- well anything not to have to breath them again next year!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #7266662

In lots of communities, those "traditional" fall leaf burning piles have become illegal... good thing, IMO... not only from the clean air standpoint, but burning leaves can too easily float into nearby woods...

Your blueberries will like them, I think!
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

November 17, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #7281976

Good article!
However, I remember reading that using too thick a layer of green grass clippings as mulch can actually deplete the soil beneath it of nitrogen as the clippings are breaking down. So, I mix up the green grass with compost and shredded leaves and layer that. It's amazing how quickly sheet mulching breaks down and the plants look great!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #7282128

The fresh grass mulch doesn't seem to affect the plants except in a positive way. I think if you tilled in a whole lot of green stuff, you could have that problem, but putting it on the surface seems to be fine. Friends of mine have been putting fresh grass on their *big* garden for decades, and their plants grow like nobody's business. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Recycling Fall Leaves & More as Fabulous FREE Garden Mulch Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article! adinamiti 7 Nov 13, 2009 1:34 PM
Great information! plantladylin 3 Mar 5, 2011 2:15 PM
Good one Jill postmandug 5 Nov 13, 2009 3:55 AM
ALL THE GOOD BASICS PRESENTED docgipe 3 Nov 13, 2009 1:49 AM
For your next article... Gymgirl 1 Aug 19, 2010 1:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America