Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: New bees Seed Junkie chit chat Come in!! 11-12-09

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 352, Views: 1,540
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #7266374

Come on in everyone beware of creeping vines.. We came form here'''
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037667/

Direction for free seed here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Newbies that get lost and found here

Lasagna Bed for newbies here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Jan's Seed Auction here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1036526/#new

The high priestess and her Loyal followers Brug sprout off contest
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037643/

Thumbnail by arejay59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #7266387

Good Morning how is everyone? What are you doing for the holidays...recipes anyone use special ones they want to share?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #7266622

HI Robin
LOL I'm busy making gifts right now don't know if I'll have time for baking though I'm in the notion to make cookies. Always try out at least 2 new recipes each year haven't done that yet this year I'm behind.
DH on the other hand always makes his friends fudge and no bake choclate cookies. Coca Peanut Butter Fudge, Strawberry Dreamsicile Fudge, Peanut Butter Fudge and his best friend's newest favorite Peppermint Candy Fudge.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #7266740

GM E1
I have only plans for Thanksgiving right now. Having a big dinner at my DS and DILs Thats it so far.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #7266767

GM e1, Having Thanksgiving at my house this year.

It's a gorgeous day today.. going to be outside "playing" today

HAGD e1

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #7266903

Found you! Good morning everyone! Hope you have a grand day! Forecast is 82 for today and cooler for the weekend! Still above average temps but pretty nice considering it's November...

Cooking at my house for Thanksgiving. Not sure about Christmas yet. I have a really good Green Bean Casserole recipe - not the normal one you find on the fried onion can - lol. I'll find it and post it. It's real good!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #7267094

And a goody good morning to all. No winds today or rain so it's a great day already. The sun is out and I'm loving it. I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year and got some sneaky ideas going for christmas surprises. Can't wait. Hope all is well with all you peeps. Seed swap is going good, should have lots to share before long. Have a great day everyone.
seray53

November 12, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7267113

Morning All

Love to see your recipe Loca. Not ready for Thanksgiving at all. Still cleaning house. Family has other plans this year! YEAH! :) Just the two of us. Should I go ahead and cook like there were 20 people like I usually do or order something from Honeybaked Ham? LOL My DH likes coconut cake and boiled custard. Homemade.

Love to know what you're planning to cook or eat?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7267183

Hi Seray Well our Thanksgiving menu doesn't change much since it's just the two of us now. Turkey which hubby tends to, mashed poatoes also his job, rolls which I make though sometimes he buys them, then I'll add whatever veggies that someone has given us this year green beans canned by my sister, corn on the cob from my friend. Desserts are the only things that change this year he wants pumpkin pie and I'm considering lemon pie for myself though that could change to banana snack cake or maybe both LOL since I do all of the desserts
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #7267203

coconut cake and boiled custard,Coca Peanut Butter Fudge, Strawberry Dreamsicile Fudge, a new green bean casserole are you posting recipes???
Coconut cake and boiled custard... just make that like you are cooking for twenty and indulge...
Order the ham and save it for the next day...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #7267260

Here's the recipe I use that I found last year. It's Paula Deen's version. Very good with or without the cheese. Personally I like it better without the cheese... I didn't make the house seasoning per se - just used the ingredients to taste. You can pretty much add any seasonings you like! It's very good. We had a lot of people last year and I think I tripled the recipe and there were no leftovers:o(

Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients

1/3 stick butter
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cups sliced fresh green beans
3 cups chicken broth
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (2.8-ounce) can French-fried onion rings
Pinch House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 cup grated Cheddar (optional)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter. Boil green beans in chicken broth for 10 minutes and drain. Add the green beans, mushroom soup, onion rings, and House Seasoning, to taste, to the onion mixture. Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until the casserole is hot. If using cheese, top the casserole with the Cheddar and bake for 10 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
seray53

November 12, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #7267397

Thanks Loca. Sounds good. Maybe I'll just go to Paula's for dinner. She's about 30 minutes away. Wouldn't have to cook then. Anybody want to join me? Except for the cake and custard you'd have to come to my house for those. The flavoring for the custard is traditional Kentuckian. :) We could scramble our words and you'd have to stay all night. LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #7267402

Sounds good! Tell her to make the Green Bean Casserole and the turkey with all the trimmings and then we'll hit your place for dessert - lol!!
seray53

November 12, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #7267533

We won't have to tell her. She's a southern kinda gal. Same thing every year.

Turkey, oyster dressing,(we're in seafood country) green bean casserole, squash, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, some type of salad with marshmallows, fresh corn off the cob, collards with bacon and fresh baked rolls. Pecan pie, coconut cake, boiled custard flavored with KY bourbon.

Shall I hire a bus to drive us to my house. If we eat there we won't be able to walk. LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #7267815

OH MAN, I hurt already. I ate too much just reading this.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #7267873

OK Robin here's the two you asked for

Strawberry Creamsicicle Fudge

3 cups sugar
2/3 cup cream or evaporated milk (cream makes it smoother)
3/4 cup butter
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creame
12 ounce package white chocolate chips
3 teaspoons extract of your choice (strawberry, orange, banana etc)
Food coloring to match extract (red for strawberry, orange for orange, yellow for banana)

Combine sugar, cream or evaporated milk and butter in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook to 240* on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat, stir in marshmallow creame and white chocolate chips. Add extract and food colorinig. Pour into a buttered pan (13x9x2 or 9x9) Chill for one hour and then cut into squares.
Yield 3 pounds

I had the name wrong on this one but here it is

Peanut Butter Cocoa Fudge

1 cup plus 3 tablespoons chunky peanut butter (smooth works too)
1 cup butter (no substitutes) (hubby substitutes if I don't have butter on hand LOL)
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

In a heavy saucepan, combine peanut butter and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until blended. Remove from heat; stir in confectioners sugar, cocoa and vanilla extract. Spread into a buttered 8 inch square pan. Freeze for 30 minutes or just until firm before cutting into squares. Store at room temperature.
Yield about 2 pounds

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7267922

lol - we might need a bus, especially if Mindy comes and brings all that fudge too...
seray53

November 12, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #7267977

That sounds good Mindy! Make sure he has butter. LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #7268070

OK, I say we meet at Seray's for Thanksgiving dinner and Mindy is bringing all the deserts. Anyone else up for it?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #7268078

I'm in - see you all there...
seray53

November 12, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #7268221

I'll vacuum right before you come. LOL
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 13, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #7268558

hi all, man new goody recipes for work sounds delicious,
i just made today this bar called the Princess bar, now i make it for the students and they love it i only have the recipe for large amount to blond to lower it

5lbs of yellow cake mix
1lb of walnuts chopped
1lb of coconut
1lb of butter(softened)

mix ingredients together by hand until well blended., take 5lbs of the mix and place in a cookie sheet(with parchment paper and sprayed with pan spray) place another piece on top and use a rolling pin to press. use strawberry or cherrie pie filling (i forgot the amount of that) on top of the crust, sprinkle the rest of the mix on top to cover bake at i am not sure on a reg oven but a convection oven it is 300 degrees for 22-26 min. cool. cut
mmmmmmm gooooodd
blondie
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #7268560

Hi everyone, I found the new thread. Sorry I did not post this morning, I had a really busy day and am just now getting online. Hope everyone had a great day!!

Mickey
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #7268603

Hi Mickey, it sure has been a little quiet around here. I guess everyone else is tired too. With all the sun today it was finally ok to go out and do a little outside.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7268702

Loca- That gb casserole sounds yummy, I am going to try it this year. My SIL is making the turkey, at her house and I will make my delicious "Sausage Apple Stuffing" I will find the recipe and post it for you guys. I think it is a Campbell's recipe. Do you guys do Campbell's online? I love their recipes. Anyway, also will do mashed potatoes, brown gravy, Loca's gb casserole and I really want to learn to make Divinity. I love that stuff and have never made it. I made Pies from scratch a few years ago but I think I am going to make Mindy's Apple Dumplings and maybe some of her Strawberry Fudge. That sounds too good to pass up!
Mindy, your mom did you guys right teaching you how to cook and can and make afghans and all that. My Grandma G'G' taught me how to embroider and sew when I was younger and I used to make dishtowels and pillows for family members and such. My mother in law taught me how to use a sewing machine, and my SIL has promised to teach me how to can. I have all these awesome veggie seeds and I'm going to put them to good use. I really want to make Spaghetti sauce.
The only thing I can say my mom really taught me was my spelling and handwriting. Oh and my love for animals. She did try to teach me to crochet but I think I got bored with it, lol. She used to make me practice my lower case and upper case alphabet in print and cursive when I was in kindergarten every single day after school. It did pay off though. It's funny I have done the same with my kids. They all have good handwriting and spelling, I just never made them practice as much as I did. They had too much dang homework, even for Kindergarten. I was pretty much a latch key kid and very independent so I didn't really hang out with my mom too much. I used to hang out with my dad, watching him work on cars. To this day if you lift a hood of a car I can tell you what every part is. His dad, my grandpa taught him to work on cars. Those were the good old days.

I played cowgirl today ;-) Drove an hour & 1/2 each way to go trim a couple of horses for these people that just moved to TN from MA. They had that cute Boston accent. They were super nice and he wanted to steal my license plates on my Mustang ! They say "GITTYUP" , lol. Their horses were beautiful. I don't think I ever met a horse I didn't love ;-)

Ok, shutting up now.. Have a good night everyone and c u tmarra .. fuggettabouditt.. lol

Has anyone heard from Shirley and Tubby? Hate to see one of us not doing good.

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7268704

LOL I hate to tell you all this but hubby makes all the fudge around here. The only one I can make is the Dreamicicle one. You can play around with that one to make it taste however you want it. I've made it using butterscotch chip and vanilla, butter and nut flavoring which was a big hit with my friends. It's oringinally the orange flavor but hubby's friends are crazy about the strawberry so that's what he makes. Wonder how cherry flavoring and chocolate chips would be GRIN Or maybe raspberry and chocolate...or use your imagination LOL
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #7268715

(((hugs))) Mekos.. what did you get done today, hmm hmm?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #7268724

LOL Mechelle mom is probably laughing her head off in heaven right now if she read over my shoulder. She did try to teach me to cook basic foods but she wasn't much into cooking burnt supper was normal if sister Betty didn't rescue it. My cooking skills are from reading cookbooks. As for canning, well after so many years of doing it as her brood went out on their own she didn't do much of it when I got big enough so all I learnt was how to wash the jars and break beans and I still can't can alot of stuff but mil taught me how to make blackberry jelly the oldfashion way and I also know how to can sausage in jars. AS for the crocheting, well mom didn't do it daddy did LOL. He came from an even larger family and his parents made them all learn how to do everything that was needed to survive and during the winters they all had to make rugs, gloves hats etc. But he didn't teach me either I learnt the chain and single crochet from our postmaster's wife and a friend of my sister Nancy taught me double crochet and they say the rest was history LOL. Mom did make quilts but I happen to hate sewing with a passion LOL. I know how but don't like doing it.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #7268764

LOL, thats funny Mindy! I hate to hand sew, too. Hey everyone in our lifetime leaves their mark and makes us who we are in one way or another. Learn when you can and teach when you can. When I learned how to use the sewing machine, man I was at the fabric store every other stinking day buying fabric and thread and all the good stuff that goes with it. I made the girls some really cute flannel PJ's when they were little using what do yu call them... Oh yeah, duh patterns. They wore those things forever. I also made a set of cloth Christmas placemats, napkin holders and table cloth, and made my sister the cutest doily set for her livingroom. Oh and I made the girls pillows for their bed and my hubby a Raiders pillow. I still have them. that was like 10 years ago now. Now Courtney and Heather are wanting to learn how to use a sewing machine. They each got one from their Grandma Pat when she passed away. Courtney has been making pillows at school so we have been shopping for fabric a lot lately. That's a good idea.. I am going to make my nephews pillows for Christmas and have the girls help ;-) This time of year makes me think about family so much.

I just don't know what I wanna be when I grow up! lol .. Thank God DH puts up with me...
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #7268822

Well Mom did pass on her love of flowers to me LOL but she didn't know alot about growing plants either said her mom was one who did all that. Apparently Grandma was up before everyone else fully dressed and first thing she does before starting breakfast for them was go check on her plants. I have a rose bush that Grandma started for mom when they moved to the house I grew up in.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7268973

Okay Seray...that is so not fair...are you really going to Paula's for Thanksgiving dinner??Erase that Seray I cant think about anything else now. I Love Paula. She is the best she is the best cook ever.
seray53

November 13, 2009
4:56 AM

Post #7269225

LOL Hey Arejay

I'm not going to Paula's. We went a couple of times and decided that she and I must have similar genes in that we cook very much alike. She cooks plain country cooking. Green beans cooked with country ham and a little onion. Fried chicken with milk gravy and mashed potatoes with lots of butter. Standard southern cooking. Grew up eating it. Mom was a great cook. I'm sure all these southern girls can cook just like Paula. Mekos, Mindy, RRM

Come on down and we'll cook ya up some fixings and you won't have to stand in line for an hour. LOL

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2009
5:29 AM

Post #7269282

And the price is right. We should all bring a bowl of something. I make a killer fruit salad. Everyone always wants to take a bowl home afterwards. Big pan or bowl. Toss in a bag of small marshmellows, add a can of fruit coctail, small jar of red and jar of green marishino cherries ,can of peaches, can of pineapple tidbits, can of tropical fruit,(be sure to drain the fluid off the cans of fruit), cup of pecans chopped or get the pieces, and a tub of sour cream , mix and stir till it's all mixed together,and let sit for 4 hours in the fridge before serving so the marshmellows can soak up the fluids on the fruit and sour cream. UUmmmm so good!
seray53

November 13, 2009
6:14 AM

Post #7269353

Fruit salad sounds good Mekos.

My grandmother made 24 hr salad similar to yours. Started off with 4 egg yolks and juice from a lemon in a double boiler. Cook until thick. Cool. Then add 1 lb. of seedless white grapes cut in half, lg. can pineapple tidbits drained, 1 sm. can of mandarin oranges drained, cup of walnuts (I like pecans) about 2 cups of small marshmallows (more if you want it sweeter). Fold in 1/2 cup of whipped cream. Refrigerate for 24 hrs. Lemon curd melts the marshmallows which sweetens it up and softens the nuts. I could eat the whole thing. LOL

In the south it's the dressing that makes the cook for Thanksgiving. If IT turns out right you know your meal was a success. Not only do you have to make good corn bread but the seasonings have to be just right. I'd put mine up against Paula's any day. How about you Mekos? LOL

Maybe if we talk about it enough I'll be sick of turkey by Thanksgiving and won't have to go to all that trouble. I'll just go to Louies and have beignets and coffee after a spanish omelet and watch the boats come into port.

Savannah is a nice place for a get together. :) Then we could all go to Paula's for lunch and compare our cooking. Take the ghost tour trolley and have seafood on river street. Nice weekend.

LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2009
6:16 AM

Post #7269356

Well, now that I have gained 10 pounds just reading this thread, I want to thank you all for the yummy sounding recipes. Now, if I can just figure out how to print the recipes, it will all be good.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2009
6:44 AM

Post #7269398

Well Lynn, go to to the one you want to print out and under the person's name there is a # of the post, click on it and it will bring up that post and click print. Then it will only print that one for ya. Then you go to the next one you want and do the same. I copied some earlier.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2009
12:19 PM

Post #7269594

Goodmorning Ladies.. Sounds like the holidays will be as fattening as always...We always have lunch at DMIL house she cooks enough to feed 50 people... Last year my Dad had plans with DGF they went out of town so we didnt do TG there...This year his DGF has passed away so depending on what my DB and his wife are working we will have TG meal on or near TG, when ever we can all get together as a family...

I too make dressing I'd put up against Paula's..Then again Im one of those good ole southern cooks... If God gave me a talent it was cooking... My Mom ran a local cafe for year so I grew up cooking for others... I often wish now I had chosen that for a career... I almost bought one a few years ago but the econonmy had already started to fall and I backed out of the deal..

So now i just dig in the dirt and talk to my plants and you guys all day(not complaining)...

Ok im off for blood work and mamogram this am... ughh nothing to eat or drink missing my coffee already!!!

Talk to you later today... hope you all have a great one... Trish
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #7269839

Seray, Recipes???? I make cornbread often I try different recipes all the time always looking for a new best... I am not especially fond of turkey prefer chicken but it is Thanksgiving and I dont know I guess do as the pilgrims fdid I usually fold and make one. But I would vote for the omelet and watching the boats. I want the one with mushrooms, lots of cheese some tomato and garlic...beignets ive made a couple of times but I lean toward Grammie Pegs donuts. The ghost tour must be fabulous there Seray is it? Have you been do you go often?
Honey have you decided no cafe? Or just a delay in the plan? My mom was a cook for most of her life I started cooking when I was gosh 7 I think. I love to cook and I have more collected cook books and recipes than any one person should have. My worst bad habit is making a dish and changing it up ending up with something I or someone else loves and whoops I didn't write it down and duplicate it oh well maybe next time...Recipes guys recipes???
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7269896

Well I don't live as far south as you gals do but I think I would put my cooking against Paulas any day too. LOL I was taught the old southern way of cooking but it is funny none of us were from the way down south type people. The farthest south we're from is Ky.
I am setting here reading all of this and thinking about New Years dinner
with blackeyed peas,greens corned beef and cabbage and cornbread. LOL
seray53

November 13, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7270117

My DH is way down south kinda people. Southern gentleman big blue eyes Funny :) I digress LOL

Haven't been on the Ghost tour trolley. Mostly I wonder around the parks and end up on River Street. It's a wild place to drive. I think it was the first planned city and they planned each block to face a park in the middle. Like a wagon wheel. To get to the next block over you have to know which 'spoke' will take you there. Otherwise you end up going round and round different squares. All beautiful with large oaks, hanging moss. All landscaped. Old houses like New Orleans where you can peek through the wrought iron into hidden lush gardens. They do have a garden tour and a home tour plus about 20 other types of tours. In these squares that you're trying to negotiate are horse driven carriages and trolley buses. Not to mention the locals who drive like their hair was on fire. LOL And on top of that you have one of the biggest Art schools in the country. What wasn't renovated by the city and heritage groups was bought up by the college, renovated and turned into classrooms. Artist everywhere pen and pencil and cameras. Country's oldest art museum and the oldest African American church. Lively place.

Haven't been in a while. Waiting for ya'll to visit and we'll all get lost down there as a group. I can find my way to River street. Oysters, pralines, coffee and music. Paula's is a big place, multi-storied fairly near River Street. I think she uses both first and second floors. All these buildings are old old. Floors are wooden with wide planks. Big windows. Boar's Head has a restaurant right on river street. Great steaks. Shopping galore!

If I went there for Thanksgiving I'd go to the Hyatt. They have one of the best chefs in the county. Right on the river. Great big windows! Reservations are always required in most places except the River Street seafood places. Paula's reserve is months in advance during the summer. And that's lunch.

I'd say if you don't want to come here for Thankgiving we go to Huney's. We'll encourage her to open that cafe.

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #7270294

Great recipes everybody.. I think I'm gonna throw away my recipes and use ya'lls! Very nice description of Savannah, seray. I can just picture how it looks and what a beautiful place it is. And right on the water, you can't beat that. We all keep talkin about doing a roundup- we need to just do it! We need to all share pics of our Thanksgiving tables..

Huney's Cafe.. sounds like a plan .. Please do post that dressing recipe.

Not trying to change the subject but look at this greenhouse I just found :

http://www.garden.com/item/10-foot-x-10-foot-greenhouse/G34230/

It's a smaller one, but the price is fair. I bet the plastic costs an arm and a leg to replace. Speaking of that I need e1's opinion on something. My DH has a TON of these fiberglass sheets. They almost look rubbery and are pliable. One side is white and the other side is black. Do you think that would be good to use to cover a green house? White side up, black side down? Idk about the black side.. Might not work too well in the winter without an extra heat source. But in the summer it would rock I would think. Idk, you guys tell me.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #7270404

Great price on the greenhouse Mechelle, But I would try the stuff your husband already has at least try it and see how it does.
Seray thank you for the description I felt like I was right there. I do hope to get to the area in 2010 I will look you up!!
RU great idea... New Bee round up yeay yeay..
seray53

November 13, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #7271092

Looking forward to your visit Arejay. Maybe we can talk Mekos and RRM over and make it a party.

Shall I hunt Paula Dean's Krispy Kreme (donuts) bread pudding recipe? All you'll need is insulin. LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #7271394

I got insulin. Go fer it. I say lets go.
Mechelle, that is a great deal, I've researched those ones and they are very strong and wouldn't have to replace the pieces often at all. It's in sheet sections and not a plastic sheet.
You can't beat that one. I have never found one of those for under 600.00. And the one I did find close to 600.00 was much smaller. If I were you, and I could afford it, It would be sitting in my yard in a flash of light. Those are good.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #7271669

Krispy cremes and bread pudding whew insulin for certain!!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2009

Post #7271673

wow thats a good buy on that GH to bad its so close to christmas and the kids have such big wish list...I think they will be lucky to get what they want this year..Money is tighter than usual... Both want Lap tops, and new ipods well thats 7- 8 hunrded each already... one wants a new shot gun... other wants video games... Neither care that Mom wants a GH..

Maybe I need to whisper in Santa's ear, sit in his lap or sumthin???
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #7271687

You may want to talk to sexy snowman, I think he has a connection to Santa.

By the way, the seeds that came today had the cutest picture drawn on them of a horse head or Mule head, drawn on the bubble wrap. It was so cute, did you draw it? Is it Charlie?

This message was edited Nov 13, 2009 7:23 PM
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #7271728

I received a package from Charleen that had Charlies picture drawn on it once too it was so cute... drawn in red on the bubble wrap...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #7271741

Yep. This would be Charlie I guess. I just love it.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #7271781

Well I was thinking that by the time we drive to the nearest Lowe's and spend gas money and you know we'll buy more than we need to while we're there.. And it comes to your house and you just have to set it up.. Idk , I'm a cheapo if it's less I would probably go to Lowe's and use those other greenhouse plans I found. I think the other one is bigger too..
Lemme look.. Yeah, the other one is 12'x 14' http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/publicat/postharv/green/small_greenhouse.pdf

I told hubby I would wait to put it up until mid Dec- Jan while we were finishing the other house. I have plants everywhere in the house!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #7271841

This is the one I had till this year. But not good for hanging plants because of the round pvc pipe on top. It could break with the weight and would slip off the curve part because nothing to hold to. It wastes a lot of space, but if you frame one like building a room, you got boards to hang from all over the top and put shelves all around the sides and stack them up and down you get so much more room. Well, you are able to access more space. That is better than not having one at all but I like mine this year better. It has a house top roof but covered with plastic. I open the door when it gets too hot and close it before it cools down too much and it holds in the heat. I have 5-6 heat lamps hanging down but haven't plugged in any except one for light at night. It's not cold enough to use lights for heat yet. My little froggys like it. They sit on the pond rim and watch me when I go in there at night or sometimes jump in the pond. But it's full of critters lurking around at night like crickets and frogs and grandaddy long legs spiders and a few insects hiding all around. I found a few slugs and killed them. Probably was hiding in a pot that got took in there.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7271981

That makes sense Mekos, hmm. I am going to have to think about which one I want to do now! I have this awesome pine tree that I am going to take cuttings from (because I like it so much) and plant some along the fence that goes to the right front of the property. They are so pretty and green and provide privacy also. I am running out of room here in the house though cause all my seeds are now almost all transplanted into gallon pots (I got them for a quarter from the local nursery) Here's the pine tree.. It's the perfect Christmas tree!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7272186

Girlfriend, I hate to burst your bubble, but that ain't no pine tree. That is a cedar tree. Go look in the woods and you will find the perfect sizes to transplant to the line you want. I got a gazillion of them babies here.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #7272332

OK listen up everyone. I'm thinking about a Christmas themed auction for the 7th of December and run until December 10th, when we will announce the winner. Will put up seeds that will bloom red, white and blue and well, what ever I find with colors of Christmas. Be thinking about this and if you would have seeds to bid. We are also thinking of a roundup around March or when the weather is fitting and find a spot somewhere in Georgia area. Be thinking about that one too. Back with details later. Any thoughts on the subjects? Sound off.
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

November 14, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #7272952

Hello I am new! My name is Tish, from Ohio. I collect mainly houseplants and african violets and christmas cactus. I am in the processs of converting an old bathroom to a "grow" room. Nice to be here!
Tish:o)
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #7272980

Hi trish, Glad to see you made it here, and glad to have you join in on all of our silliness. Hope you enjoy being here with us.
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #7273025

Hi Trish, so glad you found our wonderful little website here, You will like it!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7273395

Hi Tish! Welcome! We're a fun bunch here. Come hang out anytime!

Kelly
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #7273476

HI Trish welcome to our group. Feel free to pop and and tell us what's on your mind anytime or join us in bugging each other.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #7273680

Welcome Tish... Always nice to meet new people and to discover how other gardeners around the world make there gardens grow...

I have a Christmas cactus that was my Moms she had it for years... I have never gotten it to bloom... Guess im not giving it the TLC it needs...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #7273703

Hi Tish I am glad you made it. Jan let me know I f I can do anything. Honey my bet is you are giving your Christmas Cactus too mush attention. They favor cooler rooms and sparse water or only when the soil drys out. Anything but a south window.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #7273722

lol you would think with a name like cactus I would know that already, but i think everything has to be watered as often as my peace lilies, so I may be keeping them to wet... they get indirect light... Do they have to have periods of darkness? I dont recall Mom doing that.. Its thriving but not nearly as full as when she was taking care of it... I did manage to start a new plant from it tho ..
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #7273874

LOL Mekos, ok, just humor me here. I thought cedars were a type of pine tree. I have other cedar trees and they don't look like that. Most of the other ones I have don't touch the ground like that. This one does have the little blue seed thingys on it like cedar trees do. I told you I'm a newbie! LOL, quit laughing, lol..

Those baby cedars you are talking about poke the crap out of you when you touch them. This one has soft "leaves/needles/branches" lol..

You'll have to excuse me..My cp had 3 viruses on it yesterday and I had to do a system restore on it. It specifically said "You will not lose your data" Well guess what? I did! All of my plant pics-GONE ;-( Oh well. Nothing I can do about it now. I had them all organized and categorized and poof! GONE.. I have a lot backed up on cd of the family pics and stuff but not those. And all my recipe files.. gone... sigh.. not happy.. but it will be ok.. I just keep breathing in deep, lol.. Gonna go outside and get the blower and blow the heck out of some leaves ;-) CU all later
seray53

November 14, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #7274026

Afternoon Everyone!

Looks like everyone is busy with life and it's challenges.

Welcome Trish. Glad you found us. We have fun projects in the works. Here's a link to the Goth, UnGoth, Friendship thread. Charley the mule is our Master of Ceremonies. Pick a garden theme and join us as we trade seeds and encourage each others passions. And just generally cut up. LOL

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055419/

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #7274194

Hi Trish, glad to see you join in. I have several different colors of those cactus and would be happy to share, my white trimmed in hot pink is in bloom right now. The rest of the clan is budded out but will open later on and will be in full bloom by Dec. I put several colors in the same big pot so got all colors at the same time all together. I love them. I'm looking for a rat tail cactus. I had one till a couple years ago and forgot it and it frosted on it and killed it. Send me a d-mail if you want the white. I'll go see if I can get a good picture of a bloom.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #7274257

MEKOS I need a piece of every christmas cactus you have LOL Not really I do have a red one and my friend said something about getting me a yellow one. But that's all I have POUT

HI Everybody quit the cleaning for the day. DH teased me said I spent more time cleaning in my plant room than I did the house. Gee the man needs to use his eyes the house got more work than the plant room did today.

Well I'm going to check a few more sites then off to see if I can get santa's beard finished without running out of furry yarn.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #7274269

Well Mindy, I know what you want for Christmas now. You are not hard to please.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #7274296

huney,
I just threw my Christmas cactus out this summer with the rest of the plants and it did great out in the sunlight and it is blooming it's head off right now. I think mine is actually a Thanksgiving Cactus but when I bought it it said Christmas on it so I don't know which it is but BLOOMING. Beautiful bright pink and white.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #7274319

awwww... Im going out to look at mine right now lol... I sat it out side about a month ago...brb
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #7274363

^This bloom has been open for a week now and is starting to fade off so not as pretty as it usually is just opened. But the center thingy is bright pink and the outer flower is white.

Thumbnail by mekos

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #7274373

well this is the baby I started.. its got new growth looking good... the mother plant on the other hand.. still living but the soil must be very moisture retaining because most other potted plants on the porch are dry to touch and its still very moist... to moist I'd say... Guess tomorrow Ill try to repot it and see if I save it poor lil ole life...

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #7274385

You dont have to do any thing special for it to bloom? guess Im thinking of amaryllis or poinsettia...which require periods of darkness? I still have my poinsettia growing from Xmas last year, but no red blooms just green foliage...

Ha flower Im jealous... I want mine to bloom...

Meko's that is just darling... This one hasnt bloomed in so long I cant even remember what color it is lol...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #7274397

I stuck it in potting soil and leave it outside in a partially shaded area(under a tree) all summer till it's about to frost and take it in the greenhouse for winter. You can see where the slugs got a hold of the poor baby. The more you baby them , the more you kill them. I use the potting soil that feeds for 9 months and just leave it alone. I just watered everything in the greenhouse earlier so it's wet too.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #7274418

Here is the baby PUYA. Metalic blue, black, yellow green,and red/purple. They are all mixed in there.

Thumbnail by mekos

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #7274525

Well, just came in from leaf blowing.. boy was that a chore. Still have more to do, but we are supposed to have good weather except Monday night for the next week, so I am gonna find a home for those leaves. Yup, more lasagna beds. I have the perfect place picked out for one.. or more ;-) Just have to haul the horsey poo from the other house. Have a nice manure pile started over there.

Well lucky for me, my lovely daughter Courtney is much smarter than I am on the computer and she found our pictures while I was outside. I assumed they were gone because there was nothing in the "My pictures" folder .. soo whew.. That was close. Funny how brilliant software programmers play little tricks on us! Don't ask me why in the world they would put them somewhere besides where they are supposed to be.. just to give us a heart attack! Next time I swear I am getting a Mac! LOL

Gonna go make dinner with Courtney tonight.. will try to bbl. Love ya's
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #7274539

well I have to go cook some supper for the guys... Hope you all have a great night...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7274562

Glad you found them Mechelle. Now we just got to teach you about pine trees. LOL Hehehe
Hey girl, I got some blue ice cedar trees if you want to try to root some. I got japanese cryptomeria too. The blue ice are so blue colored they are beautiful and the cryptomeria is so pretty for wreaths at Christmas time. I love those. I cut pieces for my sister to make arrangements out of for Christmas too. Put them in a large vase of water by the door entrance for a beautiful arrangement of different colors of cedar and all. You just have to see to believe how pretty they are. I put a small one on my table last year at Christmas and everyone commented on the floral display they thought I got at the florist. If I can run across a picture, I'll post it. I think I put some holly in mine too.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #7274573

Do you guys know that if you want something to bloom out of season SOMETIMES you cut an apple in half and put it cut side down on the dirt at the base of the flower it puts some kind of gas into the ground that forces it to bloom? Old trick from way back. It doesn't work all the time but does a good bit.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 14, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #7274594

My cactus did not bloom for two years. Last year I forgot to water it and it got very dry. Then it bloomed. I think I was over watering it. I have one because it was my mother's favorite house plant.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #7274596

Me too skwinter. I have a beautiful Christmas cactus that never bloomed until I forgot to water it for a loooong time.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #7274610

Well, mine does the back stroke sometimes when it rains till the pot overflows and keeps on for weeks at a time and it is full of blooms all winter. Mine sit in a water catcher under the pot and stays wet. This year I don't think it went a day without water. Some of it rotted off with so much water.
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

November 15, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #7275769

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! I am really not sure where to start around here. lol.
Tish:o)
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2009
12:39 PM

Post #7275781

Well you started in the right place LOL What I did was check out each forum that covered plants that I like then checked out the ones that struck my fancy after that. There's no rush you know you have plenty of time to check the site out. If you need help finding something just hollar here someone will know the answer.
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7276001

Tish,
Be sure and do the free seed for newbies, its great. In case you did not see the link in the first post of this thread here it is again:

They send you some great stuff.

Mickey
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #7276016

Anyone ready to play in the snow yet????

Thumbnail by Mindy03

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #7276064

That is so cute Mindy is it a tree decoration?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #7276450

Most people put them on their trees. Some use them for package decorations. It's actually a pattern adapted from one made with yarn for a wall hanging decoration. I've also used the original pattern to make an afghan with them on it. Took 12 of them and they each had a different color hat.and scarf. Don't have a picture of the afghan didn't have my camera back then and lady who has it I doubt she has anyway to send me a picture of it.
cedarcottage
Madison, MS

November 15, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #7276633

Hi,

I'm Newbie--Arejay59 invited me over for a visit and I have already gained 10lbs. I want try every recipe listed they all sound so good. I think I'll try the Lasagna Bed.

When do you start seeds for planting in the spring? I'm so excited about starting plants to grow in my garden, I want to start now but I'm not sure if it is the right time. Help

Cedarcottage
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #7276754

Hi cedar.. Welcome to Daves... come visit with us any time...Trish
seray53

November 15, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7276888

Hi Cedar

Welcome! Always glad to have new gardners!

I usually start seeds in Feb for veggies. Earlier for tomatoes. The seed packets will say 4-6 weeks before the last frost. Flowers you can start anytime if you have grow lights or a warm sunny window or better yet a GH (greenhouse). You just keep them in pots until you're ready to transplant. Annuals to plant in beds? I usually wait until Jan. We're kinda crazy here we plant stuff all the time. LOL

What kind of goodies are you planning to plant?

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #7277096

Hi newbie, If there is anything in particular you are looking for tell us and someone here might have some to share with ya. Welcome aboard.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #7277586

Hi cedar! Glad to see you made it here! Good to have you ;-)
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #7277619

Hey does anyone happen to have the Newbie Dmail letter? I can't find mine since everything on my computer got moved. Thanks ☺
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #7277822

Hi Cedar, glad to have you come to our little group.

Hope everyone had a good day!
Mickey
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 16, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #7277847

hi all,long time no chat

welcome tish and cedar,

well i have been busy, i see you all talking about christmas cactussssss, are they easy to start, i will get some from the nursery i go to they have all colors if i remeber correctlyl.
(that is not say much, my memory is sooooo bad)

well gotta go to bed didnt sleep very well last night
killed me at work all i wanted to do was take a nap all day

hey jan, looking forward to the auction in dec. let me know what you need i will help ya
oh i may be up your way sorta in dec. if my hubby, gets this job tomorrow everyone please pray he gets it so he can go to NC and I can have my peace lol only kidding, i may miss him a little, or may just get use to him being gone hmmm i will have more time for plants and friends lol
blondie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #7277850

Hey Mickey! How r u? Are your plants doing good?
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #7277856

Hey blondie, my MM Taro has little baby nubbies on it ;-)
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 16, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #7277872

oh mechelle i am soooo glad, my spider lilies are growing sooooo fast i cant believe it.
now they need to bloom and i will be really happy lol
hey seray, i got some bromeliads i will have to take a picture, they are green and white stripes i guess you would say, with a deep pinkish red center oh it is so pretty, my moms neighbor had them and she gave me some will take pictures tomorrow
blondie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7277914

I hope they do blondie! I have gadzillions of those all over the yard! Just green right now, but wait t il you see all the babies you'll get from them. I still have you in my book as owing you a Turks Cap, and EE's .. Turks Cap still rooting ;-)

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #7278067

Evening everyone... Been planting bulbs and such all dang day...

Hi Cedar - welcome to the funny farm. Hope you stick around - we're lotsa fun!

Mechelle - Isabella has little roots and a couple teeny tiny leaves already!! Spider Lilys are nice and green.

mekos - mailing your package in the morning. Lemme know when you get it. I forgot about the Hawaiian Air Plant though. Anyone know anything about this plant? Once I figure it out mekos I'll send you some...

Gotta give the kiddos a bath - be back later if you all are still up - lol.

loca (Kelly)

seray53

November 16, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #7278182

Hi Blondie

Glad you can play. Love to see your Bromeliads. I think I have some like you describe. Very nice and can get very big.

Here's one for my Goth garden. Called Mocha mint.

Thumbnail by seray53

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2009
4:18 AM

Post #7278254

Hey you guys, this is a carolina snail seed vine. Mine has bunches of red berries if anyone wants to plant some. It grows really tall and has cute leaves and lots of red berries which are the seeds. I pulled some berries so if anyone wants some better speak now or just don't. It is cute though. It will climb up trees or a fence or what ever you put it on. I have it growing up at the cabin at the river so it gets cold there like zone 6 and is hardy there.

Thumbnail by mekos

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #7278260

Mechelle you have mail.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #7278273

Well I guess no body wants to talk to me so I'm going to bed, pouting too. (just kidding, ) but I am turning in so good night everyone. Talk to yas tomorrow.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #7278704

Good morning ladies! miss me?

sorry I have not been around, i caught that lasted swine flu... a rather nasty case of it that left me bed ridden for awhile, but am feeling a bit better these days. Hope everyone is doing well.

Im so lost now that I have been outta the loop, so please feel free to fill me in on the latest happenings and such.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7278816

Hi Cue...I am so glad to see you. Are you better everyone has been busy and in and out so much going on it will take you weeks to catch up. I am so glad you are back Cue...Thanksgiving here we have been talking food and Charlie has become like a mascot and babies have been born ans Seray well she is in a bit of everything ..lasagna gardens are filling the country. Black Goth Gardens obviously in honor of our favorite Goth Girl are scattered throughout the country at this point...
Did I say I was so glad to see you???

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7278931

Nice to see you're back and feeling better my darker half - lol. You know what they say - you can't keep a good woman down!

Did your son get sick too or just you? It sucks to be sick in bed! Glad you're back. Like Robin said, you got a lot of catching up to do - lol...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #7279173

Moring e1!
Glad t see you are feeling better Cue. Welcome back!
I guess I may have been wrong about the weather. Looks like rain. Forecasters say no but carry an umbrella. Sitting here drinking coffee trying to figure out what I'm going to do today. I think I have packages coming today >:-) and have some to send out too. Have a good day e1 and ttyl
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7279244

Good morning all... Raining here today.. ughhh hope it stops later so I can get outside and play..I have a little more winter mulching to do and lots of leaves left on the ground even after many hours of raking already...But its such good exercise and a nice excuse to play outside...
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

November 16, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #7279262

GM all! Whew, what a weekend. I swear I do more work on the weekends than I do during the so-called work week. LOL Glad to see back and feeling better Cue. It is so nice to hear e1 talking about things blooming, as nothing has been blooming here for quite some time. Chilly today at about 34 degrees, but nice for us, as there isn't any snow and it is above freezing at least. Thought that I had Thanksgiving dinner figured out, but now with all these recipes to play with, just not sure! LOL Maybe I'll just try all of them between now and Thanksgiving, and then pick the faves and do them again. Gotta love food!
Kelly, you going to California in December? How do you like your phone?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #7279286

HI Cue glad you popped in for a bit. Hope to see you pop in again when that package I sent out gets there.

Skellogg how nice to see you back hope that means you are back more often. Beware that Peanut Butter Cocoa Fudge it's really really rich so much so I call it Sugar Shocker Fudge much to DH's dismay GRIN. I refuse to eat more than one teeny tiny piece of that one.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

November 16, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #7279293

Don't know if I've ever eaten just one tiny piece of fudge! Not sure that's possible for me! LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #7279338

I love fudge - especially peanut butter - but I suck at making it. I can cook pretty much anything, but have trouble with fudge... Go figure...

sk - nope - we're not going to Anaheim... Can't really afford the trip with the holidays and all... Are you going?
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #7279501

Hi Everyone, I hope you are all having a good day.

Mechelle, My plants so far are doing ok, I am having trouble getting the hydrengia to root, do i need to get some root growth hormone or something?

I am trying to start some of LazLo's holy basil in starter pots but it is not coming up too well. One pot is full and the others are not sprouting at all. I also am trying to start some crepe myrtle seed and it is not sprouting either, they have been in pots for 3 weeks. Anyone have any recommendations?

I have never started things indoors before so this is new to me.

Mickey
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2009
6:39 PM

Post #7279538

Hi Mickey, yes you should dip in root hormone . They sell it at WalMart pretty cheap. It takes about a month for Hydrangea to root. You have to fight off the urge to check it a lot, lol. Are you bottom watering and using grow lights with your seeds? In summer months may not be so hard, but in winter you defintely need grow light and/or heat mat. They sell lights at WalMart too for around $10. Heat mats are a little more. Also, you might want to ask around but I think the crepe seeds need 1/4 inch below the soil to germinate.
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #7280103

Thank you Mechelle, I really appreciate the information. yes on both counts of bottom watering seeds and using a heat mat, they are in a sunny window as far as the light goes. I will have to go to wally world for some root hormone. I really am happy to be getting back into growing things. It has been 10 years since I was able to do this type of thing because of my disability due to my back being so bad. This gastric bypass surgery has been a God send. I have gone from a 6x down to a 3x in size and lost 65 pounds so far and it has really made a world of difference. I was able to do my laundry by myself for the first time this week. I have become thankful for the strangest things. I had to tighten the laces on my shoes the other day and I just sat there and laughed.

Anyway, thank you all for all your encouragement.
I love this forum and will continue to talk here and get to know people better.

What are all your plans for Thanksgiving? For me it is a special holiday as it is the day my husband proposed to me. It was during the Macy's Parade and I remember the snoopy balloon was on the screen. Dave asked me if I wanted some cracker jacks and I took them and was eating along when I came to the prize, and of course it was a beautiful ring. When I finally came to my senses there was Dave on his knees in front of me and asked me to marry him. That was in 1994 and we were married July 12 1995. This year it will be a family celebration at my sister's house.

Mickey

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #7280120

Mickey, That is so sweet. I hope you continue to do well with your weight loss. That is amazing how far you have come and how well you are doing. Your health is really something wonderful to be thankful for. Bless you.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 16, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #7280250

hi all
hey seray i like that bromeliad that is cool looking, i took a picture of mine but my battery in my camera went dead and i cant copy it to the disc lol as sooon as it is ready i will show you i love the colors
blondie
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 16, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #7280280

here it is kinda blurry dont know why must be too close at the setting and it is starting to get dark

Thumbnail by blondhavmofun

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #7280381

I got a purple one you guys.

Thumbnail by mekos

Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7280410

Oh wow, those are beautiful!! Are they hard to grow?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #7280431

You want one? I have an extra one. I think it blooms red.
seray53

November 16, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7280454

Pretty Bromeliads ladies! That's the one I was thinking about Blondie. They will get huge and have multiple offshoots all blooming at once.

Mekos I never saw a purple one. That sounds goth to me. lol Very nice!

Very easy to grow Mickey.

Here's the red stem EE I'm sending you Blondie. It'll get big and set off the caladiums.

Thumbnail by seray53

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #7280547

That is cute Seray. I've never seen so many different EEs in all my life. All I ever saw before was green but last year I found the black ones and this year I found the african mask and those are pretty too and then on the garden club I've seen so many it isn't funny. Didn't know there was so many different ones.
seray53

November 17, 2009

Post #7280634

I didn't either. There's a guy on Ebay that has a wide variety of starter plants and I loaded up with all kinds. Some are getting pretty Big now. I'll have to take some pictures to show you the different kinds.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #7280870

So pretty girls...it makes me want to move to warmer places...the snow will be here in full force soon.
Mickey that is wonderful all of it. What a special day Thanksgiving is for you also...I am glad you have come to let us get to know you.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7280886

Hi Arejay, Have you got snow yet this year? I heard it was snowing now in the central plain states.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #7280941

Hey Mickey I got a new book on Saturday called " Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" by Michael A. Dirr (It is awesome, over 1000 pages) .. I looked up the "Blue Nikko" Hydrangea and it said it was best to take cuttings in May-July. I am guessing you have yours indoors so it should be fine. If for some reason it doesn't root for you, have no fear I have plenty;-) 3 or 4 this size.

Thumbnail by MechelleT

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #7281231

Hey all! Received this in an e-mail from cue today. She's alive and well...

hey girl! I have not been able to get on DG.. keep getting a page error message when I try to go there. I cant check any mail or anything on DG.

I've been down with the Swine flu... still recovering. So thats why i have not been on lately. let everyone know I miss them, but cant seem to get on DG.

Just wanted to let everyone know why she has been MIA...lol.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #7281279

Tell her that is what happens to goth people who stray to other threads instead of staying here with us. COMPUTERS crash. LOL
No tell her we missed her too.
Did anyone ever hear from Tubby T or Shirley? Are they ok?
cedarcottage
Madison, MS

November 17, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #7281303

Hi Mechelle,

Is your soil acid? hydrangea is beautiful

sue

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #7281310

Just posted in the SW Forum under the title of Enabling All Seed Junkies . . .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056538/

Right up our alley - lol!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2009
4:27 AM

Post #7281364

I knew I should have already went to bed.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #7281440

Yes, it has to be between 5.0-5.5 to get the blue flowers. I haven't done anything to the soil, just cut them back last year and they did great for me this year. They were here when we bought the house. You can buy soil test kits at Lowes for around 4 bucks. They also seem to like sun in the morning and shade the rest of the day. I'd be happy to share a cutting if you'd like some ;-)
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #7281845

I sent my DH by our local walmart looking for peat moss last night after work and of course they dont have any...Gotta love living out in the country... The nearest Walmart or Lowes is in Mississippi or Louisiana both over an hour away...Is there any thing I can substitute for peat moss till I can I get across state line to search for peat moss?

I have the cutest lil bucket to start mine in.. If I can get all my supplies lined up...

RRM i see you were using well water, that ok for the bog? but feed the plant with rain water? I have well water also reason I am asking..
violap
Fremont, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #7282066

Hi,thought I'd introduce myself.I'm Viola from Oh.
I joined DG a couple months ago and haven't been able to get off of it!
I'm fairly new to gardening,Have 2 raised beds that my DH built for me because I have bad knees. But I have all kinds of other beds too! I have done the square foot gardening with them and the rest of my veg garden.This year I am trying to incorporate the lasagna thing but I tend to get confused with it.
I did start my garden from seed last year in the house under grow lights.Right now my DH is in the process of expanding my garden shed with a leanto greenhouse on the side.I have a lot to learn about that though! (Like how soon I can put my started seedlings in it without heat)
I am trying to get my herb beds going. I'm mixing some of them in with my flower beds. Am trying to get perennials established.After that I want to learn how to get use out of them.
I have a new area where we have a pergola with a brick walkway in between the house and shed that I want to build up with all perennials for mostly dry shade.I am thinking that I might be able to have a zone 6 microclimate there and experiment with some plants that I might not be able to do elsewhere.
I am just now beginning to learn to gather seeds. Once I learn to clean them efficiently,maybe I'll be able to share. I have some to gather today.(calendula and love in a mist) if all this wind doesn't do it for me before I have a chance.
I plan to do some winter sowing this year.I need to do something as I got carried away with the summerhill seed co-op.and will have no room otherwise!!
Reading back through your posts, there was some recipes that I want to try.
And I want to say that I have been to Savannah once and I loved it .Was only there for a short day but it is deffenitely someplace I want to return to.
Now that I've over done myself, I want to thank every one for being so friendly. and get off of here before I wear out my welcome!

Vi
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #7282112

Mekos, I would love to have a bromolaid. Do you want me to send postage?

Viola, Welcome to our little forum. You will love it here, lots of nice people.

Mechelle, I will certainly check out that book, it sounds very informative.

Mickey
seray53

November 17, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #7282283

Welcome Vi

Always glad to have a new gardener! This IS the place to chat so come anytime. If you're ever back in Savannah let me know.

Sherri
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #7282286

cue if your here it is so good to see you back. Glad your feeling better and hope you continue to recovery quickly. Hugs

Hi everyone else how is everyone today? Cold and rainy here so guess I'll just stay in and find something to do. LOL
seray53

November 17, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7282446

Morning everyone!

Can you believe next week we'll be eating Turkey and Dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, etc. etc. etc. :) And the we have to wash ALL those dishes! A spanish omelette with beignets and coffee on the river front sounds better and better.

Remember that commercial where the girl had a 50 lb. slippery turkey and was trying to get it into the sink and it slipped and went out the window. I still laugh about that. Anyone for beignets? LOL
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #7282671

What are they seray? I have to know what I am eating LOL
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #7282710

welcome viola... DG should come with an "ADDICTION" warning...Before you know it..It consumes most of your day lol... That will be a real good thing in the winter when its cold and we cant go outside and play...

I cant believe next week is Thanksgiving and I refuse to believe Christmas is only a month away...Sigh I guess that means I better get busy looking for xmas gifts for the boys...Im just not in the spirit yet, but by the time I get in the spirit the holidays may be over...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #7282721

ummm there sorta like doughnuts there covered in powdered sugar...wonderful...
seray53

November 17, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7282748

That's it Flower. Fresh made donuty kinda things. You with me?
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #7282760

Good Morning All ;-)

Cold and chilly here today, got some needed rain off and on yesterday. Too cold right now to go outside and play in the garden. Maybe it will warm up a little later. I have a few things I need to go finish planting, maybe can bundle up and go blow some more leaves around. We'll see.

Welcome to our group here Miss Viola. Glad to have you here. If you need any help or have questions, just ask and one of us will have the answer for you. Did you send off for free seeds from Arejay? If not, let us know and we'll get you the info you need to do that.

Addiction is right huney, lol.. I check my DG before I even check my regular email. There are so many interesting forums, it's hard not to participate. But learn, learn I have and do on a daily basis ;-) Love Dg and all my garden buddies. .

Mekos, still haven't positively ID'd that Cedar/Pine/? tree. Posted in the Plant Tree and Conifer section. We'll see. The saga continues, lol..
Well hagd everybody and see you all later.. Mechelle
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #7283214

Yea Ok I can handle that. I loved powered sugar donuts. LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #7283334

Hi everyone... I'm playing hookey from work - well not really...

I'm in an Excel training in Scottsdale for the day. We're on lunch so of course I'm checking in with all the seedy peeps - lol.

Welcome Viola! We're a fun bunch and we'll try not to get you too lost - lol... Check out your regional forum and the veggie forums. Pretty smart peeps on the veggie forums if you have questions geared toward your area. I'm a veggie gardener myself, but the desert and Ohio are worlds apart - lol.

Talk to you all later - back to class...

Kelly

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7283432

Hello everyone, The weather people said it would be in upper 50's today with lots of wind and they were wrong as usual. No wind and a beautiful day. It is overcast but nice and not cold at all.
Mickey I'll get the plant out probably Monday, no need for postage. I'm just not good with these plants. I mother them too much and smother them. You will be rescueing it's little life.
Well got to go . Back later.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #7283548

mekos you sound like me. I got rid of my broms for that purpose too The Queens Tear I had and the other one finally gave off pups but just got rid of them all. They needed to live outside to do any good and they just wasn't hardy here so kept them in until summer and then they did well but not good house plants unless you have got great lighting.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #7283780

Hey do any of you gals use nutmeg in any of your dishes?
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #7284038

Oh yes flower, I use nutmeg in a lot of things, esp. pumpkin pie, sauce on meatloaf, butternut squash soup, just lots of things.

How was everyones day? I had a good day, didnt really do much just shop at wally world and go to the therapist.
Mechelle, I picked up some root growth hormone today so I will dip those starts in it tomorrow when I am ready to pot them. Thanks again for the info.

I dont remember who I swapped with for this but I swapped with someone for a mimosa tree. When it got here it had no leaves and looked like I had just stuck a stick in some dirt, well now it is getting its new leaves and looks so cute, I will have to take a pic of it to post tomorrow, I am too tired tonight.

Well I will bid you all a fond farwell for the night.

Mickey
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009

Post #7284241

HI Everyone
Yes Flower I use nutmeg in a lot of recipes what are you wanting to know about it?
Haven't done much outside last couple of days. Busy working on Christmas stuff right now going to be like that for the next several weeks as I finish up stuff I've got started already. Did go sit in the plant room for a bit just to be around plants but nothing needed doing in there today.
seray53

November 18, 2009

Post #7284530

Peach cobbler Flower. Fresh grated. Yum!

Mindy we need to get you some plants to pot up in that fancy new GH you've got. How about some gingers? They're cut. Brugs next and you'll be busy. If I can get them out Friday hopefully you'll have them by Monday.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #7284560

LOL Seray that greenhouse isn't fancy yet just give me some time though. Gingers and brugs sound fine I just need dirt to put them in. Told the neighbor lady when she asked if she could get me yarn for Christmas I would rather have dirt, seed starting trays, lights etc. Never did hear back from her on that LOL
seray53

November 18, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #7284631

Well now they know you've gone and lost it. When you trade your needles for a shovel look out! LOL Nothing like a 50 lb. bag of potting soil to make your heart sing. A heat mat - to die for.

My DH and are already claiming the lights for seeds trays. Unfortunately I bought the seedling rack thing for him. I'm the one that usually says "it's too early". Not this year. It'll be "if you start now you can get a jump on the season"! Encouragement and 1/4 dose of miracle grow should clear out the racks pretty quick.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7284699

You rock Seray, you sly dog you.LOL
violap
Fremont, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #7285933

Thank you all for your welcome!
You are right DG is addictive.

Kelly I'm going to try to find those forums.Thanks for the heads up.

I sent my envy out yesterday for the seeds.

I'm not really looking forward to Christmas,money is tight.My DH got laid off nearly a year ago and has not been able to find a job.He's 60 and a bad diabetic so the job market is not good, especially in this area.
But I have ideas.I have a lot of dried herbs.I think I might mix up some tea blends if I can find some recipes.and make up baskets with those and some of my canned jellys and such.Maybe add a tea ball or something like that.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009

Post #7286046

Good morning everyone. Rainy day here.
Seray my neighbors already know about my outdoor passion LOL everytime they pass the house they see me outside doing something.
Violap I got curious and went and googled herbal tea recipes and found all kinds of links for recipes. Here's one to get you started. http://www.crazyfortea.com/freeherbaltearecipes.html

Town today so I'm off to make a list of things I need to pick up today.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #7286329

Mickey, You got the mimosa tree from me. LOL Glad to hear it is doing ok. Yeah I knew you could use the nutmeg in peach cobbler but so many people are using it in other dishes and I was wondering what kind of taste that it gives other types of food. I am use to using it in some of the stuff I cook like pies and things like that but some are using it in chicken,beef and different things like that and so many are doing it that I wanted to know the taste of it in those kind of dishes. I know this isn't garden talk but where I have ask about all of it I haven't gotten any clear answers. Also what about mole sauce? What is it and what does it taste like?

This is for RRM, got my CP this morning. Do I trim the dead leaves from it or just leave them ? Thank You for the beautiful Bracelet. I love it!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7286488

flower - mole is a Mexican sauce... delicious! Many variations depending on the region of Mexico it comes from...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(sauce)

Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #7286515

Hi everyone.

Flower, LOL I really had forgotten who I got the cute tree from. When it arrived it had lost all its leaves and was just like a stick with roots. Now it is so cute with its little leaves, I love it.

Thumbnail by Meickle2003

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #7286685

Flower I have a potato salad recipe that uses nutmeg and it's called GermanPotato Salad so it may be a German thing to use in food. DH likes the potato salad. I cook but don't always eat what I cook LOL growing and cooking food is fun eating not so much for me hehehehe more for everyone else that way
seray53

November 18, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #7286750

I use it in spinach sometimes Flower. Gives it a little nutty taste. Only way to know is to try. Big spice for middle east. Moroccan, Indian and Thai foods all use it. Swedish and Dutch use it in their pastries. Here's some recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/herbs-and-spices/spices/more-spices/nutmeg/main.aspx
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #7287172

Oh Thanks seray. There were some great sounding receipes on that site.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 18, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #7287413

Mickey, you had better get a bigger pot. That baby Mimosa will be 6 feet next year. They love water and if you do not give them enough, the roots will go wherever to get it. Learned that the hard way. I currently have three but have placed them in their own area with their own source of water. I have the Chocolate Mimosa, leaves are purple, but I think the gardener killed it. He cut the roots putting in another irrigation line.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2009 2:14 PM
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #7287837

I have pots of all sizes just waiting for plants.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #7288350

Dont forget to vote for pictures for the calender... Wow so many pretty pictures...The picture of the 2 dogs and boy on the dock was sent in a by a personal friend of mine... Ha she is wanting her grandson on the cover...Im voting for him..Which ever way you vote its sure to be a beautiful calender this year...

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2009/calendar.php
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #7288414

New auction # 8 has been posted if anyone wants to go look and be looking up the names before it starts. Lots of goodies in this one and Arejay, after this auction you will get another envelope as well as the winner of the auction.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2009
4:41 AM

Post #7288640

Oh my gosh, are those not the most amazing photos you've ever seen? I will be buying one for sure. The one I really loved was the uncle who named his pets after country singers with "Tammy" giving him a kiss. I just loved that one. Cows really are so sweet. I will have to show you guys this picture of me sitting on "King Edward", my grandpa's 2000 lb black angus bull. I got caught one Saturday by Grandpa. I had been doing it for a long time. I would get back, run and jump up on his back. But King Edward and I had this thing going. I would come out after school and brush under his chin and he loved it. I'll never forget getting busted by Grandpa while he was out mowing the lawn. I didn't see him but he saw me, riding King Edward! He yelled "Get off of that bull he's gonna kill you" LOL whatever Gramps.. after that, all of us Grandkids used to get on him and take pictures. HA .. Random I know, but just thought about it ☺

Mindy, my neighbors gaulk and stare at my yard and me outside too. lol.. Kind of wierd but life I guess. I better not catch them out there stealing my daylilies, lol.. better install some cameras, lol j/k
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #7289131

LOL Mechelle they don't gawk so much as check out what I've changed since their last trip through. No worries about them digging my flowers up they have DH do all that kind of work for them and he knows better than to dig up my plants without my OK. I told him that would be grounds for divorce. But she does pick flowers from my lilac bush sometimes which I told her was OK as long as she didn't get greedy and take too many off of the bush. I don't minid sharing the flowers with her she can't grow alot of the sun loving plants too much shade where her house is and too many cows and a accident prone husband to put them anywhere else.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #7289257

Good moring all...That should make for a nice auction Meko's... Im going to start sifting thru my seeds to see what I have to offer...

I worked outside yesterday afternoon moving hosta's and hydranges's and some ornamental grass to an area I decided in the spur of a moment I would make a shade garden out of...I already had a lil garden started there around a pine tree so now I have spread it out to include a greybeard tree and my dogwood... I would love to turn that whole corner of my yard into a shade garden...I think im already working on it lol...this area is about 10 feet up from where my goth garden is to be...I have all my EE planted out there and some louisiana irises... Before long it will all be one big garden just because I cant help myself hehe...DH hasnt seen what all "his" area I incorporated yesterday ha but you can bet your last dollar im not going out there to move it.. wink... I have some white daisies and maybe a few coneflowers left I can stick out there for some color...

I blame all this on AL hehe He sent all those wonderful Garden Gate magazines with beautiful shade gardens full of hosta and foliage plants...Man AL look what you made a girl go and do.. I only have a few types of hosta so now I will be on a quest for different types..

Ive never grown astible but im wanting too..I think I have some seeds coming from the piggy swap... Cant wait to plant Coleus wow I googled that last night there are some beauties out there now days... ok enough dreaming for now..
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7289648

That's why I got rid of all those project magazines, I've got enough things to do for awhile! I'm glad you're all enjoying them though.

Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7289706

LOL Mindy.. My DH could care less about my plants and gardens. He just keeps telling everyone, Mechelle has really gotten into gardening. But you watch, next year when it looks all beautiful and amazing and he's eating those veggies I grew, he'll be the first one on the wagon LOL.. He has bought me pine mulch a couple of times when I asked him to. Does that count as participation? HA I won't mind sharing with people who ask. I have stopped and asked and people have always been real nice to me.
You're lucky though that you only have one neighbor that does it. Every car that goes by slows down when they get to my house. Folks around here are nice, but looovvve to see what's going on and who's involved!

This message was edited Nov 19, 2009 10:19 AM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #7290207

Hey! I lost you all. Oh, no!! here's RRM.
had to check out that auction stuff and I still don't know
anything but you have a nice bunch of Wants there.
RRM
seray53

November 19, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #7290276

Gosh RRM I would've come looking for you if I'd realized you were lost. Mekos has outdone herself this time with the seeds for auction. I think she's been saving up just to tantalize us with diversity.

If you can hit her button just right with something she wants she'll trade those seeds for what you have. She's tricky in that you never know what will make her happy enough to send you that lot of seeds she's posted. I know some of her buttons but she has more stuff than I have so I'll have to think of something new. That's what makes her auctions fun.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 19, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #7290297

Those photos are outstanding. It is great when you get to know the gardeners and then see their photos. What talent we have on DG. I am learning so much. Now I am growing worms for castings and compost tea.

I had three men in Loews in stitches Monday trying to help me find items that would work for something they were not to be used for. That is called Jerry Rigging. I am getting to be an expert in JR. And we did find everything at much less than I would have had to pay at Gardeners Supply. My DH thinks I have now totally lost it. LOL.

Red Caster.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #7290323

That is what I call GREAT! Hey, if it works AND saves money, you got more to buy plants with. Two thumbs UP.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #7290337

Skwinter do tell us what you are jerry rigging and what you used please we just might need the information even if we don't know it yet.

Hey Mekos got the yarn to finish baby afghan so soon it will be done, like maybe tomorrow LOL as I just have to finish the table topper I'm almost done with first since it is almost completed

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #7290362

Did you ever get your Beads?, Mindy.
Hey, mekos, look what I got blooming.
Took my pups out to pee and saw this Iris.
Boy was I surprized. Think may be a Superstition,
Pretty isn't it?

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #7290389

WOW RRM, how pretty. I have some of those, didn't know their names though. I love the Iris. I have one that didn't bloom this year called Circus Clown, don't know what it will look like but wish it would do it's thing so I can see it.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #7290398

Not yet RRM but 2 sisters are headed to the big big city tomorrow so I gave them a list of things to look for me while they are shopping themselves to death.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #7290407

I have a yellow one, hope I can
find the card that came with it. I love yellow.
I have some I need to replant but don't know where I want them.
I know all those name tags are gone.
RRM

This message was edited Nov 19, 2009 3:28 PM
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 19, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #7290660

hi all,

i am a pro at jerry rigging, just ask the DH. he gets sooo mad for that but it works. well,
i got a package and my husband just now told me ab out it it had a beautiful bracelet in it i am going to wear it out this weekend to dinner thanks sooooo much for it, fits perfectly and the colors woww my favorite,
off to the gym i started going back to the gym to try and feel better, i get out of breath with the shortest walk, so i think i need more exercise, i would rather be in the garden but DH and my youngest son want to go so it is a family outing.

have a good night
mekos i promise those pictures tomorrow
blondie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #7290938

I wonder wher you got the Bracelet? I am so glad you like it.
Yes, I guess we all need a little moe exercise of the right kind. And more careful
Eating. I am terribly bad about eating the wrong things.
RRM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #7291001

Don't feel bad, RRM. I only like the wrong things. Stuff that is good for you probably won't go in my mouth.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #7291099

The bad is the best. More Calories I don't want to Burn off.HEHEHE
RRM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #7291106

You and me both.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 20, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #7291349

i love it RRM it is beautiful, and i too dont put good things in my mouth, i just found out that my boss is a nutritionist and she is putting me on a diet sorta speak, i am trying not to eat after 3 i take my lunch late and all that good stuff, that is when i work anyways, in our diner, we have such a big selection from pasta to pizza to burgers to salad to veggie to a hot southern meal, and i always get a salad first then i go to our grill and grill chicken usually, or something little in the hot foods. but i got on the scale and i gained 4 pounds maybe i need to eat better, such as pizza etc. lol.
i dont know, seems to be working the wrong way, or maybe it goes up before down lol
i might just be one that cant loose who knows
blondie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #7291510

No, you are not. There is a lot of us can't seem to lose weight.
I try not to eat after 7:00 in the evening. Doctor changed my meds awhile back and it went up. Can't stand that
go back to what I was on. We will make it Blondie, just got to keep trying.
RRM

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7292693

I'm with you girls 100% on this one. I was told 10 years ago by my doctor to lose "or else". Since lost about 40 lbs but still about 20 lbs away from my target weight of 200 or so. I actually feel much better now than I did years ago. I keep telling people that the more weight I lose, the more gas I can put in the airplane to fly farther, 40 lbs is about 5 gallons or so ,LOL.

Basic strategy is to walk, and keep walking, it's the best exercise going and also cheap. Gardening is great, too.

I'm not on a specified "diet" as such, but I do watch what I eat mainly because I'm a diabetic. I try to avoid carbs and sugar and tend to stay away from a lot of fried stuff. I can't stand to write everything down or count every calorie I'm using.

Perhaps my biggest downfall is restaurant food, most of which tend to pile the plate to overflowing to impress their customers. My wife and I will often order two plates from willing restaurants for one entree' which lowers the cost as well offer more managable servings. If a restaurant isn't friendly to this idea we eat elsewhere.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #7292816

Hey you all, Good morning.
Beautiful day to do something, haven't figued out what yet.
I checked on what Zodiac Sign to try to start losing wieght but from what I've
seen it is gone and got to wait til next month. I figured it would be like weaning
that's 19-27. So Guess I'll start today and see what happens.
RRM
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #7293079

Here is the link to the "Gardening Friends Diet and Exercise Chat"
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1057172/

Hope to see you all there!

Gotta go get some packages off and then go do "horse stuff" Talk to you all later..,
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #7293163

Wow those pictures are all so beautiful.

I had a really bad day yesterday, hoping that today will go better.

I am busy doing laundry and dishes so I better get going. I also have to go to the gym today. Will check back in later.

Mickey
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #7293669

Hello everyone, bad day from the start. All morning at the Dr. office, not great to say the least.%^%$@# then took hubby's truck to the garage to be fixed, ?some better?? then to pharmacy to fill a truck load of prescriptions, Dr. called and labs wasn't good so more pills, came home and mail came- some good,and some bad.Bad first- the envelope I sent for Loca last week came back, I messed up the address again, ^%$$#@$%^&&*&^%$#@@ This also means the box I sent a couple days later will probably also come back in a day or two.^%$##^&&*^&$%#@@- Good part- a seed order I had ordered last week did come. My Maylay Rose Torch Ginger came and Scabiosa ebony and ivory(black and white), Black bat flower, Purple bat flower, and a few others.
I need to go to bed and start again and see if it gets better. YUK.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #7293681

lol - no worries about my stuff mekos! It'll get here when it gets here! Hope your day gets better!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #7293703

It will be o.k. Charley sends lots of nuzzles and warm nose kisses to make you feel better.
You would love to kiss Charley's nose it is so soft and he is so sweet.
RRM and Charley
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2009

Post #7293710

Well, the seeds will be ok but sure don't want the vines to die. It had white rain lilies in there and the jasmine vine and something else, I don't remember right at the moment. But it filled the box up so something good was in there. I'll resend when it gets back. I'm really sorry.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2009
10:01 PM

Post #7293716

BIG huggs to Charlie too. I can just feel his big warm nuzzle on my cheek. Big smooch Charlie.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #7293723

See, you feel better just thinking of him.
Wonderful, isn't it?
He's my baby.
RRM and Charley
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #7293747

ThANKS RRM. you are sweet too. Big hug to you. I'm going to finish off the d-mails and go lay down for a while. back later.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 20, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #7294054

hey all
well i had an interesting day, i had to chase a cow back to pasture and the dern thing decided she did not want to go back alll over she went except to the pasture, called the owners and we try to get her into my yard so as he could get the trailer. well she didnt want to do that instead she ran into the woods come to find out she found the down fence so it could be repaired, we all looked crazy out there to this big cow with mega horns and she was afraid of us lol
blondie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #7294070

Done that with donkeys and mule but no cow. Little own with horns.
Those Rodeos are no fun. I had the neighbor last week, his horses came up to see
Charley, He was braying and going on. I was so glad it wasn't me doing the chasing for once. ^_^
RRM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #7294098

Well sounds like I wasn't the only bad day. That one made me smile Blondie.
Well, I got Loca's envelope re-addressed and one for Seray so will get them BACK into the post office tomorrow. NOW, I'm going to take care of something I need to do so back later tonight. Love you guys.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7294447

Blondie, just another day at crazy cow paradise?! LOL isn't it funny how big huge animals are afraid of us little peons? I would probably be more afraid of her than her of me with those horns. I do love cows though they're so sweet. They have such a big heart. I know that sounds silly, but true. I haven't ever been around cows with horns.. Hey wait a minute.. cows in Florida? What the.. Girl you need to bring them cows to TN and we'll go to the beach and sip Mai Tai's!
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 21, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #7294578

hey all
i go to the cow pasture alot and feed them bread, they love it, she is okay in there, outside she is scared, well, tennessee sounds great and so do the mai tai's, i dont know about bringing the cow, she might not fit in the truck lol, i am going to head to North Carolina in Dec. my husband got the job yipppppeeee, i want to go to Tenn. while he is at work lol but not too sure how far it is. He will be in Jacksonville NC. i just want to go see snow, the mountains etc. maybe we all can get together somewhere near by.
well mekos, i am glad you got a smile out of that i probably looked like a complete moron chasing a cow until the owners got there. i already got laughed at by the owners for going in the cow pasture chasing butterflies, yes sounds crazy, but an uncommon butterfly, the zebra swallowtail lives there and i was catching them for the butterfly encounter we have here, for free plants lol i willl do just about anything for free plants lol. i looked pretty silly then
well off to bed got to get up early i might be having company a special plant delivery lol,
so will see yall tomorrow
blondie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #7294723

Night Blondie
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 21, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #7294899

You gardeners are a great bunch and very funny. I have never tried to corral a cow or horse. Just showgirls. Good night from Las Vegas. Do not laugh, they bite and kick more than a cow or horse.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2009
11:57 AM

Post #7295641

Morning everyone. Blonde you can't herd cows in spite of what the TV shows say. You gotta lead them with feed to where you want them LOL. Here's my cow story. I live on a farm and we lease the pasture out to our neighbor for his cows. DH always uses a white bucket to put their feed in when he feeds them ground feed. Well one fall day I decided to go the the walnut tree to pick up some walnuts and took 2 white buckets with me. I walked and my little Mindy went with me. All was fine no cows in sight and was picking up walnuts when Mindy kept getting in my way. Not having good hearing I didn't know that the herd had come up and was in a circle around me until then. Yep, they seen those white buckets and came to get their feed. Well, I kept filling the buckets and pushing a couple of cows out of my way. Buckets full so time to walk back got an opening in the herd and Mindy took off like a shot for home. Cows followed me the whole way to the last gate before the house. When I got there Mindy was sitting on the other side waiting for me and when she seen those cows she gave them her catch me if you can look. I had to sit down and laugh at her I never seen her move so fast in my life when she made her escape from that ring of cows and headed home. Poor cows never did get anything from my buckets but DH felt sorry for them and fed them some when he heard about it.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 21, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #7295733

hi alll
that is tooo funny Mindy
they love bread and i tried with bread and she said no way
the owners came and got her in thank god.
well back to cleaning the bedroom out lol 8 years of junk and a business that we shut down oh my i have my hands full
blondie
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #7295766

Mindy that is just too funny.

Good morning all. I am up early to head to the gym for my workout. My friend is meeting me there. We have a lot of fun working out together.

I dont have a cow story to tell, but I do have a calf story. I wish I had the picture on the computer it was really cute. Anyway, my friend Adam had a farm and raised cows. I am a city girl so I wanted to see what it was like to work on the farm and went to stay with them for the weekend. He had a calf that the mother had died and I got to feed the calf by hand and give it a bottle. What was really cute was the calfs markings. Right down the center of its nose was a question mark, perfectly set out.
That is not as great a story as Mindy told but the calf was cute.

Mickey
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 21, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #7295849

here is a picture of the cow i chased i saw her near the fence today, and noticed she has a baby ahhhhhh
well she turned her back on me before i could get her picture

blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 21, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #7295853

and here is the donkey he wanted his picture taken until a dog came up, i was told they protect the cows and when the dog came up he chased the cows away it was tooo funny here he is soooooo cute or maybe a girl never checked lolo
blondie

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #7296190

Good Morning everyone...It is crazy, crazy here...Thanksgiving has started!! I hope you all have a really good weekend.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7296227

Everybody duck and take cover, it's the first day of hunting season here in NY. My son Richie is out with the rest on our old farm in South Corning. We've got deer standing right in our driveway most of the time, glad to get rid of them they eat everything in sight. Not to mention accidents with cars. Richie has management permits to take three of them this year.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #7296536

Alright, Al. He cann come down here and get a few too. Even heard a Turkey gobbling earlier in the week. Turkey season is Feb. down here I think.
If that dog would have got in there with those cows, that donkey would have done a tapdance on him. It is nota pretty sight to see. That is why they are in there, dogs and coyotes.Keep them away the the cows and those new calves.
Aw, life on the farm!!!!
If one is good, them three is better, right?? Sometimes not so!!!

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #7296701

Deer season is open here too. SIGH I hate deer hunting season because it brings out the stupidest men I've ever ran across. And the ones who act intelligent the rest of the time are even worse. No hunting allowed here but that doesn't keep them from trying to anyway. I think the deer know this is a safer place than most because after day one of the season we see them in our field close to the house.
Also seen some turkeys on our way out to town this morning. The animals are on the move so we know the hunters are around and about.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #7296723

That is such a cute picture! I love it.

Oh guess what I received in the mail yesterday? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! The bracelet is so pretty, it's a perfect fit and I love the colors. I am crying tears of joy. I need to go plant my pitcher today and keep him in the GH for the winter. Is that right?

SeRay, I received the seeds yesterday, also. Thank you so much! I now have the official beginnings of my Goth Friendship Garden!

I will try to get my packages mailed off to you next week or so. I need to go back on the thread and find the yummy recipes, also.
seray53

November 21, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #7296838

Afternoon everyone! Feeling the bustle for Thanksgiving already. Stores are crowded!!! Packages in the mail.

Glad you got your seeds Lynn. We'll do a bat check after Thanksgiving to make sure everyone has enough.

Enjoy your day. Talk later.

I've enjoyed the cow stories. Waiting for the showgirl ones! LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #7296840

seray, I got the peatmoss at Lowes, a big bag of it and already have it in my Bog.
Had to sprinkle it down, but By Geroge, I got it. Glad you got your pkackage Lynn.
Makes me and Charley very happy.That is (in the pic above)
Annabelle, Isabelle and A.T. Monticello. He is Isabelle's son and Isabelle's nephew.
Charley came into a longear family.
RRM and Longears
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 21, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #7297319

hi all
RRM ahhhhhhhh to them alll they are sooooooo cute want to c ome and give big kisses to them all. i love the donkey here i get carrots from work to feed him or her, and of course to get some kisses too.

well, i guess i am going to find a game on and watch i have been fall cleaning and man i am exhausted think i over did it junk on top of junk and man didnt know how much junk was in there hidden underthings etc lol
feels good to be almost done just need to go under the bed next week and clean the closet.
my room is so tiny to have sooo much junk.

blondie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #7297332

It builds up, junk does. I have oodles.
I need to do something, just hate too.
You rest and take it easy. then Monday, get up and do it again.
We have a never ending circle.
RRM
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 22, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7297954

well i thought i would have it done in two days taking breaks and all what a laugh that was i did find some things i had lost lol like a gift card and a present for someone i planned on giving about 4 years ago lol what a laugh that was
well monday i work has to wait til friday i have 4 days off. yipppppeee.
well you all have a good night i am sore going to take a shower and go to bed,
you all have a good night see ya tomorrow
blondie
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #7298051

I went back and printed the recipes, can't wait to try them. DH will love the peanut butter fudge, it will be a surprise for him. I now need a recipe for cornbread stuffing. I was looking at Paula Deen's site, but I would rather have one from one of you Southern Belles. Thank you in advance! Oh, yeah, a pecan pie recipe also. I am going togo back and look for that apple dumpling recipe.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #7298111

Lynn if you don't find the apple dumpling recipe just hollar and I'll dmail it to you.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #7298194

Love the cow stories ;-) RRM, those are the cutest little donkeys. Buckets of grain will get them every time! They'll be your best friend for life with a grain bucket in your hand! I went over and groomed 4 of 5 of my 1000lb + fur babies today. I hate how they wanna run from you after they've been out to pasture for a while. They get herdbound so fast. Then when you catch them they are big lovers. My baby, Scarlett is still a yearling. I was blowing in her nose today and she was loving it. Sounds funny but that's how horses communicate with each other. Then I was whispering in her ear and she was standing there just listening and when I stopped, she just looked at me like "Is that right?" It was cute. I call her Scar Scar. She has long legs for days. I think she will be almost 16hh when she is full grown. I am going to take my saddles over to the other place soon and go riding. I am just dying to go riding. It's been forever. I love having my new barn. Hate cleaning stalls, but hey, I have flowerbeds to feed, lol. I go out and clean the pastures too. I have a good sized manure pile started over at the other place now. Even started a lasagna bed next to the barn. It's an addiction, I am not responsible for what I do while underthe influence of DG, lol..
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #7298405

I have been looking and didn't come across the recipe yet. But it was fun to go back and reread the threads.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #7299562

Lynn, did you look on the last thread we came from for the recipe, I believe that is where it is.
RRM
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #7299604

I demailed it to her RRM. Most popular recipe this year LOL. Tried making cookies with blackberries in them last night still waiting for the cookie eater to tell me how he rates them.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #7299930

O.K. Girl. Blackberry cookies , is that like Jam cookies?
Used to make those.
RRM
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #7300371

A quick hello to you all .. been a busy weekend here.. Lots of company.. DH Brother family is here thats 5 extra plus my son has a freind over... so 4 extra kids and 2 extra adults.. A very sweet 7 month old lil girl so you know Im enjoying myself except she is all over the floor and the other kids in and out and bringing mud in from the woods cant seem to keep up lol...Hope you all are having a great weekend... I'll catch up in a few days hugs Trish
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7300443

Lyn which recipe are you looking for I copied and pasted some maybe I have it. Dmail me.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #7300529

No RRM the blackberry cookies are more like an oatmeal cookie frozen blackberries stirred in. Supposed to been blueberries but I don't have any of those so used the blackberries.

HI Robin she was looking for the apple dumplings recipe I think she found the others she wanted.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #7300563

Sounds good to me.
We need to get a cookie to have on our diets that will help
us lose weight. You all got a snack like that with things we already have at home.
To use in the recipe.
A weight loss cookie.
RRM
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #7300572

You all can have your cookies as long as you limit it to one or two and don't eat the whole batch. It's not so much what you eat as how much you eat of the good stuff verus the not so good stuff.
I'll cheer you all on but won't join in.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #7300580

Hey Mindy I am with you. I will cheer everyone on but won't join. Makes me jealous thou. Back, shoulders ,and legs just won't let me do much walking or exercise .
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2009

Post #7300592

Flower if you do 10 minutes of gentle exercise 3 times a day that is just as good and better than none. The point is to keep moving and eat lots of vegetables and fruit that fill you up and treat yourself to dessert and snacks in moderation.
I'm headed for my serious crocheting before Christmas so will only have time to pop on here and take breaks. But as soon as I get done I'll be take the dogs for walks again.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #7301017

I am still searching for a cornbread stuffing recipe. and a Pecan Pie recipe. Can you tell I have couped up for a week, with only one lousy hotdog and a bowl of soup to eat since last Monday. Now I am hungry as a bear and I want to smell home cooking.

seray53

November 23, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #7302488

Hate it that you might not have cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving Lynn. :) Here's the one I use:

Cornbread:

2 Tbls. bacon drippings
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. yellow corn meal
1 Tbls. baking powder
1/2 - 1 t. salt
1 c. milk
1 large egg

Place bacon drippings in cast iron skillet. (I use glass baking pan sometimes.) Put the pan in the oven at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Then mix the milk and egg in another bowl. Add eggs to dry ingredients, MIx.
Pour the bacon drippings into the mix and stir until it's blended.
Bake at 375 until done.
Make this the night before.

Here's the oyster dressing. You can leave out the oysters. If you add them use very small oysters. NOT willowpoint. They're too strong. If you can't find small ones use canned oysters or leave them out.

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
3 bay leaves
12 oz. container chopped oysters fresh
1 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. green onions
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. white pepper
2 Tbls. fresh chopped parsley
1 - 2 t. salt (to taste)
dash or ten of hot sauce
1/2 t. dried thyme
3 large eggs
11/2 c. milk
Cornbread (the whole thing)

Melt butter and cook onion and celery until tender.
Drain oysters and reserve liquid
Add oyster liquid if you're using oysters, broth and green onions to skillet bring to a boil.
Simmer 5 minutes then remove from heat.
Stir in oysters, peppers, herbs and hot sauce. Remove the bay leaves.
Beat eggs and milk in a bowl. Crumble cornbread into the milk mixture. Add oyster mixture. Stir well.
Pour into a large greased baking dish. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

It's easy. Enjoy!

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #7308893

hi sorry I was away last few days... This is a very quick recipe for dressing... My Mom served this at Cafe every Sunday people came for miles around to eat it ... lol Prob would have died have they know the main seasoning came from boxes of mix... but that ensure that it tasted the same each week...once you add your own corn bread to it it becomes so homemade tasting no one knows... If you need a recipe for corn bread let me know...

chicken.. Boiled reserve broth
pan of homemade cornbread
1 box cornbread stuffing mix
onion chopped
4 eggs boiled
4 eggs raw
1 stick butter
celery (optional)
green onions(optional)

Boil chicken debone..reserve broth... crumble a pan of cornbread in greased pan.. add box of cornbread stuffing mix..add 4 raw eggs.. chop 4 boiled eggs add.. sautee onions in stick of butter(if you want to add celery and green onions you can sautee with onions) add all this to cornbread mixture...I add an extra teaspoon of sage and an extra teaspoon of poultry seasoning to mine.and sprinkle nicely with black pepper.. add deboned chicken pour broth over mixture till nice and moist...the longer this sets the more seasoned it taste... so make it a day ahead of time and let it set... may need to add more broth the day you cook it.. I use swanson broth about 3/4 cup stir it in put in oven 350 degrees for 45minute to an hour or until set as firm as you like it...

Giblet Gravy

1 can chicken broth
2 TBS dressing(prior to cooking)
giblets from chicken boiled
boiled egg chopped

in small pan add can of broth and your giblets(I always cook mine with my chicken then seperate) add dressingand egg, season as needed with salt pepper cook slow till thickened a lil serve over dressing...

Both quick and easy and make very tasty dressing...

This message was edited Nov 25, 2009 11:08 AM
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 26, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7310215

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO AL

hope you all have a day filled with joy and happiness

big hugs to you all

blondie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #7310374

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Love & Hugs to All

Mechelle
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 26, 2009
11:50 AM

Post #7311123

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving To Everyone...May you day be filled with lots of love and happiness and good food... Hugs Trish
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #7311222

Have a great Holiday everyone!

Al
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #7311313

Have a wonderful and Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7311711

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!!

Yesterdays food log,

8am 3 ounces of vanilla yogurt

10am protein shake

12pm 3 ounces of cauliflower and ranch dip

5pm 2 ounces of pork chop 2 ounces of sweet potato and 1 ounce of corn

For exercise I walked 10 minutes.

Well thats it for this morning. Will be checking in later or tomorrow. Taking my small plate to my sisters and going to see someone in the hospital later on.

Mickey OOPS wrong forum, sorry ladies and gents I will post this in the right place.

This message was edited Nov 27, 2009 2:53 PM
agnella
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #7313842

Okay, I just got my newbie invite and thought I'd check this out. And after 24 hours of cooking, I can say it was refreshing to just sit down at the computer.
I noticed that the last couple of posts talk about diet and has a very healthy food log. I feel bad...I just had 2 cookies and a cup of coffee...for breakfast. I promise to eat some leftover cranberry fruit salad for lunch and I will vigorously wash the last few remaining dishes by hand and stretch and bend deeply when I put them away.
Anyway, just a little about what's up in this southern girl's little plot of TN land: working on expanding my veggie garden and fixing up my beds. I also have my hubby talked into putting a greenhouse up for tropical fruit. Pretty much the goal is to have a personal jungle in my suburb. One flaw is that I have terrible allergies to mold, mildew and all kinds of pollen...so, sometimes things get neglected for a bit but I do have lots of plants/seeds/cuttings to share. What are some favorite things that you all grow?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #7314058

Welcome Agnella to our spot at Dave's please pop in lots as you seem like one of us already. The diet info is for those who are wanting to lose weight starting now LOL hard time to start but hey if they manage it they'll do fine at reaching their goals. You can join them or not as you please.
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #7314399

Welcome Agnella glad you found us. Hope you check out all our wonderful forums. They are full of great information and lots of fun.

blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 27, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #7314446

welcome agnella

hi everyone,
hope you all had a great thanksgiving, mine sorta sucked was in the ER most of the day my DH had a fever of 103.3 for 2 days has a bad infection in his teeth, man is he miserable, men getting sick are the biggest babies. made it back in time to eat, but had to hurry home to take care of him. he needs to go get those teeth taken care of when he is done with his antibiotics. other then that it was okay, got alot of leftovers,

Diet, i need one but simply refuse to obide by it, i guess being a baker has alot to do with that, i need to toughen up some and quit eating raw cookie dough and cake batter and testing the frosting to make sure it is okay etc. but no one else will do it for me. lol but i am going to try real hard after the New Year.

well all have a great day
blondie
seray53

November 27, 2009

Post #7314492

Welcome Agnella

Glad to have you. Tropical jungles are my kinda thing. LOL You'll see us passing around seeds and plants too. We are a diverse and lively group and constantly try new things. We made lasagna beds this summer, bid our seeds for irises and bulbs, raced to sprout Brugmansia seeds, with a new Christmas auction coming up here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056916/

We're working on Goth, UnGoth and Friendship gardens on this thread; trying to see who can sprout black or white bat seeds and building bog gardens for carnivorous plants. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056987/

This is kinda a home base and when we start a project we try to pick the appropriate thread and start it there. The diet/exercise group is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1057172/

Most of us are newbies who've been in less than a year but have gardened most of our lives in some form or other.

Anything we can do to help you get familiar with Daves just let us know.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #7314540

We are addicted to Dave's and each other's friendship to help us keep growing.
seray, did you plant your bat seeds yet? I got them planted and in their incubater. I plugged the holes
so the warmth will stay in there. I'm afraid my baby Brug has dampoff, now I have soil around it and hope it will send out little roots. I sure
don't want it to die. but I have a terrible time with seeds. I'll just have to keep trying.
RRM
seray53

November 27, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #7314635

Hi RRM

Haven't planted yet. Waiting for the mail to bring the rest I ordered so everyone will have some. Still got a few days. Been working on getting my bog ingredients together. Finally found the peat! Been rushing to get the plants in the GH. A few braving the 35 tonight including the Brug with the seed pod and your CP. fingers crossed.

Hollyhocklady had trouble with her seed when it first came up. She told what she did on the Brug sprout threads. Maybe you can dmail her and she can tell you how she pulled hers out of the slump. Hope it makes it. Hate that too.

I have a bunch of pygmy sundew gemmae's in a pot. Don't know how long they take to root. If they do make it I'll have an army of sundews for our bogs.

Hope everyone enjoyed a happy Thanksgiving day and wishing that someone else did the dishes for you. LOL

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #7314717

HI Everyone. Seray I not only had to do the dishes myself I had to do them twice and there's another load waiting on me which I won't touch until tomorrow cause I'm not too happy with DH right now. I'd probably throw the breakables at his head.
But we had a good dinner and he ate all of the pumpkin pie by himself.
seray53

November 27, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #7314777

Twice is twice too much Mindy. Sounds like you could use one of Mekos mojitos so I'll do my best to duplicate it for you. :) Dishes don't seem to mind waiting. I have a few waiting for me as well.

Make your favorite desert and tomorrow will be a better day. You know the one your DH doesn't like. LOL

Hugs

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #7314801

I have my favorite dessert in the refrigerator but he likes it too and will likely eat it to keep me from eating anymore not that I'm pigging out on it one little slice of lemon pie a day isn't pigging out.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #7315144

Welcome agnella! Glad you got my newbie dmail. This is an awesome thread with even more awesome people in it. You'll be glad you stopped in..

How is everyone today? I have to brag a little. I lost 5 pounds last week! Don't know how the heck I did it, but I'll own it! Just keeping track of my eats with an Ipod app and doing a little exercise. Cutting back on the sugar, using portion control and drinking lots of water and tea without sugar. I still can't believe it. Gonna keep doing what I'm doing. You guys are welcome to come join us over there in the Healthy Living forum. We have a lot of members already and would love more.

I drove 3 hours round trip today to go trim 1 horse and 2 mini donkeys. The donkeys names were Johnny & June and they were so mean! LOL Cute, but utterly bratty! They had never been trimmed so I had a time. When I was doing Johnny's hooves, there was one time that his back foot literally came an inch from my nose! You guys would've laughed your heads off. These cute little sweet things being so honery. They're about the size of large dogs.

Did a bunch of gardening and planting this week with the decent weather we've had. Hope everyone has a good evening.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #7315272

Welcome to the newbies. Hi everyone. Just checking in for a minute. Had a lot of catching up to do. Been a hectic day and very tired now so only checking in before lying down. Glad everyone has had a beautiful family day. After all the excitement yesterday, it was a little lonely today. Started pulling christmas decorations boxes out of the storage room and got to go through them looking for what I want and pack up summer stuff and get it out of the way.
Hopefully I'll get the decorations up by the end of the weekend. I usually already have them up before now and start lighting them the weekend after Thanksgiving but I'm late getting started this year. Well hope everyone has a good night and try to get back tomorrow.
Thanks again Mindy, that blanket is adorable and I know she will be so happy to get it. So far the baby is doing good, and the dr. is planning to take it around the 32-34 week. It definately is a girl. Hooray! Baby is doing good but mommy is having health problems so please keep them in prayers. She is on bed rest and can only be up 20 minutes at a time. See, I have so much to be thankful for, a new baby will be here in a few weeks, and my family and all the grandchildren and all my friends here. I guess you could say I am blessed.
Now I am tired so off for tonight.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7316151

Good Morning E1, Welcome agnella to our little garden group. Hope you enjoy being here with us.

Guess what I broke down and bought me this itty bitty VFT. Hope I know what to do with it LOL Had them at Lowes on sale and just couldn't resist. LOL
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2009

Post #7316249

Good morning everyone...

Welcome Agnella.. Hope to see you here frequently...We love the company...

Seray..I got my box yesterday evening Thank you so much for all the gingers and the brug cuttings...I was about to walk out the door when the mail man came so Ill get them all planted and taken care of today...We had our first big frost yesterday morning...I know my babies were cold out there, but at least all there roots were covered with nice layers of pine straw...

Let me know please when everyone gets there bat seeds and I will plant mine when everyone can participate... Im excite to see if I can get them to grow and to survive past being lil sprouts...Thanks for those also!!

Glad to see everyone(most anyway) had a good holiday...

Were any of you brave enough to go out for black Friday Shopping? I know I wasnt.. lol I did one year said I wouldnt do that again... I told my oldest son yesterday next year I was going to take him just so he could see what it was like, since he was disappointed I didnt run out and buy his gifts yesterday morning..I think im going to do my shopping over the internet this year if I can find free or cheap shipping...

Hope you all have a great day..My youngest just called and he killed another deer..ughh(nice meat for the freezer more work for Mom) I need to get a few things from town and find time today to go visit my Grandmother..Plant my goodies seray sent me, thats never a chore thats actually the therapeutic part of the day...Hugs and Love to All
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #7316357

huneybunch, anytime you find yourself over loaded with work on those deer, call me and I'll come relive you of some of the work. I love venison jerky! I'm looking at this bare yard and wishing for spring so I can start planting. Got my lasanga beds started and I got some cuttings from an oakleaf hydranga that I have in the kitchen window trying to root. I also have a cutting of beautyberry I'm trying to root.

I read an article in Dave's newsletter about things to recycle and am looking at the trash we throw out with an eye to can I use it. recycle it. Newspapers, cardboard, plastic bottles, egg shells, egg cartens. I've cut the trash going out alot.
I've started a little compost pile and throw all veggie matter in it. I will be ready for spring!

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. We went to my nieces house and potlucked dinner with her and her three daughters. Plus we found out the she is getting a divorce from here husband and that he blew up the night before and threw the computer on the floor and than threatened her with a knife then said he was going to kill himself, because he had lost her love. I asked her why she didn't let us know about the trouble in the marriage and she said she was afraid to because we all thought he was such a prince charming and would not beleive her that there was trouble with him. This has been going on for the last 8 or 9 years and has come to a head. He is now in the psych ward and will be there til at least Sunday than he will be moving in with his mentor and is not alllowed to return home. His three daughters were there during for this last episode and the youngest hide in the closet. The two older ones 17 and 15 were trynig to figure out how to save mom. They were so afraid that dad would stab mom. They love their father but right now are afraid of him. Anyway our Thanksgiving had a shadow over it. Hope the next holidays are better.
Mary
seray53

November 28, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #7316428

Hi Mary

Thanksgiving can be an emotional time for families. Hopefully now that the issue is exposed they can work to resolve the problem. Maybe Christmas will bring some peace to your family.

I rooted oakleaf hydrangeas this year for the first time. It took a couple of months. So far they are doing ok but will probably put them in the greenhouse for the winter. They are so pretty blooming aren't they? Do you know the cultivar name? I have 9 big ones to plant when they go dormant and some Lady in Red to pot up from root layering. Can't get enough to do I guess. LOL

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #7316478

I'm so sorry Marti, I know it's hard especially on the kids who feel so helpless. My prayers are with you all. Hopefully this will be the turning point for them and next year will be better.
Hi everyone, just checking in and fixing to go take meds so probably will check back before bed time. Have a good weekend and put a blanket around those outside babies. (Lots of compost will keep them warm) Later.
seray53

November 28, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7316504

Glad you got your package Huney. Hope they bloom for you next year!

I think everyone has bat seeds but Mechelle, Kim and I. We're waiting for the postman to bring another set so we'll have enough. Looking for them today or Monday. You can plant at your discretion. It's not a race. Just skill this time.

If you're part of the Goth, UnGoth and Friendship group that's sprouting for a Black EE and Don't have seeds or maybe enough seeds dmail me.

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009

Post #7317476

HI Everyone I'm in a better mood today thanks to Charley and Charleen. I received my package from them today.
Charleen the bracelet is beautiful and just fits not too loose nor too snug And Charley is as handsome as ever in his picture.

Making headway on the gift making a few scrunchies and a small doily and I'll have themain part of my sister's wish list filled. Still like her beaded snowflakes but she'll just have to wait a bit on those.

I'm off to get back to work on bassinets for now 3 more of those to go.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2009
12:23 PM

Post #7318279

Robin, I'm in KY visiting with family and checked the Rose of Sharon bushes and there are still seeds, do you need any more Redheart or Bluebird? Will check the Honeysuckle vine. The Yucca has already dropped so no luck there. I did get a few seedheads from the lavender scabiosa pincushion plants. No cattle in the pasture with the persimmon tree so I'll look there too.

We had a wonderful thanksgiving even with the colds and stomach upsets. We got a group rate (10 of us) and went to Diamond Caverns yesterday. After two airport runs we are heading home to Cocoa Beach tomorrow. Hugs to all.
Mittsy
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #7318478

I have double purple rose of sharon seed if anyone is interested.

Mickey

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #7318533

Me too, it's purple, what color is yours? Mickey.
Have a single white and a single purple.
Would love a blue one if there is such a thing.
RRM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #7318765

Hey RRM, I got bluebird and blue satin planted, just waiting for sprouts and if they turn out good, I'll send you some plants.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #7318856

Well good afternoon everyone! I hope you all had a great holiday and ate lots of good food in good company! I sure have missed the lot of ya's!!!!!! Im so outta the loop now that I can never hope to catch up.. so think I'll just jump in right here and carry on...lol
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #7318885

Hi Cue, hope you had a great one. We missed you. Did you get the computer fixed or what ever it was? Glad you are back.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #7319023

HI Cue welcome back. Missed you and am still wondering if you got the package I sent you?
Taking a break from crocheting or else my fingers are going to go into stubborn refusal mode which means they won't cooperate with me to crochet some more.

Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #7319152

RRM my rose of sharon is double purple, I have seed if you want some just send me a SASE. I am in the address exchange.

Mickey

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #7319376

MIne is Dbl. Purple too, do you want some white seed or wait til spring and I'll root you a cutting.
A friend of mine wants a Varigated Conferate Rose, if anyone has one Please let me know,send
me a D-mail and maybe we can trade.
Hi, Cue, welcome back/Mekos, I'd love to have a Blue ROS. I'll take you up on that one.
How are you all doing?
RRM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #7319698

OK RRM, will let you know when we got babies. I just sowed a few days ago. They are in the incubator. I got a coral vine sprouted. So cute. 1 bat, and a little pot of coral nymph. Also some nemophillia penny black, and Potentilla melton fire, kangaroo paws and Arisaema Fargesii, and Arisaema Candissimon and a Catelaya orchid- Orange.
Does anyone around here have any Nun's orchid? I really want one. One of my first trades was for nun's orchid, but it must not have lived because I never saw it. So I'm still wanting a piece. Or I do have something I got when I first started trading that hasn't ever bloomed and don't know what it is so may have one but don't know what it looks like so if you have one, maybe take a picture of the leaves and post where I can see if it looks like mine.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2009

Post #7319796

I have a Vanilla bean Orchid. Mekos.
I have a new fussy MG plant. How do you prevent dampoff, I think my baby brug is leaning because of that It still looks alive and green. I put more peat around it. Now it is only about an inch about the soil.
RRM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7319857

Maybe don't water for a bit. I haven't had problems like that with mine. Mine just got bit by the slugs and bugs and cold, but the ones I grew from seeds, are doing great. Here is my red/yellow brug. Remember I sowed the seed when we had the sprout off contest. It is so cute and bunchy.

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #7319874

It is cute. I love baby plants. You don't need some brugs do you? I just got a bunch.
got a bunch of seed pods from a brug called Sunray. Don't know what the results would be ,
got plenty if you want them.
I haven't watered it. Just spray it and haven't done that lately.
Charleen
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009

Post #7319904

I'd love a couple of sunray- but the one I really want is mayan magic. I'm still looking for it. I want several for my back yard this year. I have planted all around my front and sides but need to start on the back. It's in full HOT sun and red clay soil so I'm digging down and adding good potting soil and mulching good and want to start with stuff that can take lots of sun. I'm going to try to build a back deck this summer and just decorate around the edge of the house with sun loving stuff. I have been planting trees around to get some shade back there but also got to cut back a couple trees that are getting too big too close to the side of the house. I think Brugs will be nice around there. Gonna put out some black castor beans too. Mine were beautiful this year that I put in the side garden. You won't believe this but I still got that iris blooming here. Had another bloom to open today. That is 5 blooms in the past 3 weeks. And we had a freeze the last couple nights here. It's amazing.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #7319921

I will get you some fixed up. O.K. Sunray.I'm going to put them everywhere If they all make roots, I will have plenty.
Hope a lot of them make it.
RRM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #7320026

Thanks. You are so sweet. I appreciate it.
I'm still waiting for the ones I ordered for you and Seray, all the others have come so far except that. It was coming from another place but has been shipped and should be here shortly. My amazon water lily came saturday., and it was coming from thailand so those should get here soon.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7320060

ah, holiday was gret.. had a house full of peeps and animals (fun fun) ate too much... as usual...lol
seray53

November 30, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #7320064

Hi Everyone!

Looks like we've all awakened from the Trytophan comma. LOL Hope everyone had a good one.

Glad to see you back Cue. We miss ya.

Here's what I've been doing. My tunnel of love. LOL Well just half.

Thumbnail by seray53

seray53

November 30, 2009

Post #7320071

Is this guy cool or what. Check in later. If I miss you have a good night.

Thumbnail by seray53

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 30, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #7320124

Are the leaves purple on that photo serat53? What is the name of that plant? It is great. Thank you for posting.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #7320182

Ahhhhhhhhhhaaaahahhahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW you know you are killing me don't you Seray?!? Your greenhouse is so neat and organized with beautiful plants not like mine with clutter and jam packed all over the place. Wow, those look great. And what is the cuties name? You know I gotta have one!!!!!!
seray53

November 30, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #7320279

That's a begonia. See it in the background. Red and Black Goth! LOL

Thumbnail by seray53

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 30, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #7320298

Seray, thank you so much. I knew it would be something that does not grow here. Maybe in my next life I will be somewhere besides the SW desert. Do not get me wrong, I love it here. I get cold if it gets below 80 degrees.
seray53

November 30, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #7320312

They love AC and make great house plants skwinter. That's the only one I have and the more I neglect it the better it looks. I'm going to try to do leaf cuttings and make a bunch. Wish me luck. If I succeed I'll post the lot and I'll send you one if you holler. I will tell you I'm a newbie when it comes to propagation so chances of success are probably better at the slots. LOL
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 30, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #7320431

Are you kidding. I have so many coleus cutting in my garage garden, if I succeed, I will have over one hundred plants to go somewhere and I do not have an idea what I am doing. But the gardeners on the coleus thread are very understanding and give their knowledge freely. I also have other cuttings and my delight has been getting some cutting to root that I have not been able to find the plants. Have fun. Remember, this is suppose to be fun.
seray53

November 30, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #7320463

LOL I have over 100 daylily seeds that I hybridized and can't figure out where I'm going to put them to germinate. That's not counting all the black plants I need for the Goth garden. I need veggies so there's the tomatoes etc. And then I want a cut flower garden and need to germinate those. Let's not forget the Arisaemas, the Amorphs, the stratifying Sarracenias and the bat flowers.

Yes we're on the right thread. This one is for crazy people!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
4:17 AM

Post #7320476

hahahahehehehahahahehehehehahahahehehehehahahahahahahah, we're all NUTS off Arejay's big tree. She did this to us. We can blame her, I haven't seen her on in a while so I guess it's safe. Her and Cue. They always doing something to run us amuck. It's their fault.
seray53

November 30, 2009
4:22 AM

Post #7320490

You think she knows she created monsters sending us all those free seeds? LOL Headed to moose lodge is my guess.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #7320536

NAY, I know where moose lodge is, she wouldn't go there. Not with all the creatsters there.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #7320539

YOU mean moose lagoon. Not moose lodge.
seray53

November 30, 2009
5:38 AM

Post #7320680

LOL Maybe
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
5:49 AM

Post #7320707

Well she could be hiding out up there. My guess is she went looking for sunshine- like Florida or some exotic warm place to have fun.
seray53

November 30, 2009
5:53 AM

Post #7320723

Why didn't we go with her?
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 30, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #7321057

hi all,

i only have a few minutes, my 19 year old overdosed yesterday and had a massive heart attack, we found out when the heart surgeon looked at him he had a defect in the heart, the left coronery artery is on the right side. which collapsed due to the overdose causing such a severe heart attack. his blood pressure drops fast with out meds, he has a balloon in his heart to help pump the blood, the heart attack was so severe it has weakend the heart. he started having kidney failure, but that seems to be better today, has a fever of 103 yesterday now it is 99.9.
PLEASE say prayers for him, i am off to the hospital just came home to take a shower and pick some things up
blondie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #7321127

Poor Blondie, we are all praying for you and your family.
Uh-oh, you did it with that Begonia. I got to find me one like that. I'm not keen on Datura, but I do have a Datura pod, if anyone wants seed, You know the procedure: send me a d-mail. Brugs, I got brug starts up the Kazoo. If they all make it I'm going to be in a jungle.
Guess I'll put them in the back pasture. What fun, never knew what fun was before I joined this wonderful group.
Charleen
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #7321199

Blondie prayers for your son and family. Hope he recovers soon.

Latest update on my cousin...he's doing better but still needs a new liver and they are still evaluating him for one. Hope he's able to come home for Christmas.

Off to crochet the day away which just happens to be a rainy one.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #7321608

Blondie, I'm sorry and will be praying for your son. If there is anything I can do please let me know. I love you girl and pray all will be better soon. Bless you all.
RRM, it's that green thumb you have going wild. You got the touch. I mostly make stuff go brown.
Mindy glad to hear your cousin is better and will keep praying for him for a complete recovery.
Our preacher was given the opratunity to be over the baptist convention missions stuff-can't remember exactly but was a high honor, anyway he moved to Atlanta because of it,and his daughter got married shortly before that and thanksgiving she committed suicide. I don't know what happened but they are devistated and would appreciate any prayers.
Sure hope everyone around here is good and having a good day. It's beginning to rain now so gotta go and will check back as the rain lets me.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #7321659

So sorry to hear about your son blonde, Hope and pray he is on the road to recovery, and Mindy, glad to hear cousin is somewhat better and hope they will be able to find him a transplant.
I am a little in the dumps this time of the year. All of the GKs are to big to buy for at Christmas or rather to picky about what they get and it has taken all the fun away for me and all so I just set here wishing that I could go back in time and have a beautiful Christmas again. I miss it so much.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #7321699

Flower, do the kids have cell phones? Give phone cards, or batteries for the game machines or CD's they like- use the imagination and get creative. Doesn't have to be expensive. Go to pawn shops and look for stuff they like or flea markets, you would be surprised at what all you can find there. Check with their parents and see what stuff they have mentioned they like. Bake cookies for each one with it's own decorative tin to put them in. Make a different kind for each one.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #7321779

Oh mekos you just don't know my GKs, They have just about everything they could possibly want and that doesn't make it any easier to buy for them. They are also picky about what they eat so I don't try to do the cookies and stuff. Parents have just got them so spoiled it isn't funny. The littler ones I don't have much of a problem except the one and she has gotten into the expensive stuff now too . She is only 9 and she thinks as big as the 2 oldest ones. Which are 20 and 19. One in 2nd year of college and the other the last year of high school. I usually just give them a gift card and then the little ones I buy for. But it is still depressing for me. Why can't they all be little at Christmas? LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #7321810

I know what you mean. We use to be happy with anything we got and were happy to get it, now kids just EXPECT and you better get it. Not the same values anymore. Parents do spoil them too much and it hurts them in the long run when jobs fall off and die or parents split and it's harder on everyone connected. It totally kills what Christmas is all about in the first place. For the modern day kids, Christmas is just a holiday to get gifts, nothing about the birth and celebration of our Saviour.
Maybe you go back to what it is really all about and it will all work out in the end. And you will enjoy Christmas again like it is suppose to be.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #7321888

blondie - prayers for your son and your family! I'm so sorry that this has happened. Please keep us posted as you can, ok?

mindy - glad your cousin is doing better. Prayers for a complete recovery!

I know what you all mean about Christmas. My guys are still kinda little (10 and 8) except the teen (16 - bleck!). All their friends expect this and that and my boys hear that, but they are pretty good boys. They are not too spoiled. We try to teach them the value of a dollar and that things are not what is important and all that. It's hard though when this society is all about gimme gimme gimme and you are what you have. It sucks really. I remember my dad making my sister and I things for Christmas and that was the greatest present ever!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #7322125

Loca, that is how I grew up. Mom made our clothes and were beautiful. We got a new pair of shoes once a year and we were so happy to get that and always got fruit in our stockings with nuts and a candy cane. As I got older and a sister was working and helping out we got more but it was always a surprise not expected or asked for. I think we appreciated it more back then, because we knew what it was all about and wasn't a give me this or get me that kind of thing. Now, we buy for my kids and grands, but we pick a family in the neighborhood with kids who are not going to have a good Christmas(maybe no jobs or just layed off, or death in family and that is what they will remember about that year so we try to make it better and we buy for them so the kids will feel the love of Christ in Christmas. If you don't know a family personally ask at the social services or salvation army or food stamp offices for needy families in your area. Or ask about adopting an old couple without family,for sending cards and letters to for the year-adopt one and make their year. There is always a way to find the real meaning of Christmas and find the JOY you once felt. We do it every year. As bad as we have it sometimes, there is always someone worse off than we are and you can find them if you just look around. Look for families who had a house fire and lost it all. They need help. Let your kids adopt a child for Christmas and let them use their allowance to buy for them or make something for them. Go to a nursing home and adopt a grandmother or grandfather for Christmas- some don't have families and are all alone.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #7322164

At times I get really disgusted at the thought of Christmas. All this meaningless plastic crap that comes from Walmart and Kmart is supposed to make everybody happy, yet we're all expected to spend big money on this worthless junk. The best Christmas gift ever would be to declutter my house!

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #7322209

So AL, put everything you don't want out on your front lawn and put up a sign saying free to a good home and Merry Christmas. It will be gone in a hurry. Or donate to good will or salvation army or a childrens group home. Lots of ways to lose the stuff you don't want and d-clutter your house. Some charity places will come collect it anyway and you wouldn't have to move it out. There are always lots of ways to FIND the true meaning of Christmas.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #7322241

Mekos, you've got some seriously good ideas here! Thanks for the insight. Truth is, I can live better without most of this junk.

Al

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009 1:06 PM

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #7322244

My kids all have fond memories of feeding the homeless on Christmas in south Phoenix. There is a street there called Van Buren that is a hot spot for crime and prostitution and there are scores of homeless folks who live in the parks and panhandle on the streets. It's really sad. When the boys were real little we started making food - homemade burritos with meat and potatoes and veggies and cookies or whatever we could afford - and driving around these neighborhoods handing out "sack lunches" to people on the street. We usually were able to include socks and a soda or bottle of water and the kids would make little Christmas tags that said "Jesus loves YOU" for the bags. If we were having a blessed year sometimes we could add McDonald's gift certificates too! To this day the boys still talk about it and as the holidays approach they can't wait to do it all over again - lol. It was a little scary at first - these are rough areas - and some people would look at you all crazy like you were up to something. But it's become a tradition in our family, one I hope the boys will continue when they grow up!
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #7322246

Blodnie, your family and especially your son are in my prayers!!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #7322287

Oh the Joy of Christmas is in you all you have to do is look.
Close your eyes and look inside you'll find that place that brings the Joy
And be able to share it with those you love.
Yes, the kiddies want whatever they can get after all they've been taught to expect
Sit them all down and say my heart isn't in this give me give me give me
Ask them to name 3 things they think Jesus would consider the best gift of all
If they don't want to participate no problem tell them you aren't going to be giving them gifts just love and an example of what Christmas means to you personally
To find the Joy of Christmas again you'll have to make the effort to change what is to what you would like. Take them to a Christmas play you dearly love, go caroling just once, give unto others you feel need the comfort of Jesus's love . Think your young ones are pretty good but feeling the pressure of peers? Ask them to plan a Christmas outing to help someone else with their friends.
I love Christmas though I have no little ones to spoil of my own. I love making gifts to make those I love smile or laugh (toys for the grownups are fun LOL especially if you give them something from their past) I love baking Cookies and sharing them minus the 5 warm from the oven.
Now where did all that come from LOL I just started typing what was popping up in my head and I'm not going to delete a word.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #7322319

NICE Mindy!!
seray53

November 30, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #7322356

Blondie prayers for your son! Let us know if we can help in any way.

Glad your cousin is better Mindy. Waiting can be the hardest of all.

Hugs to all of you. May the day bring peace.

If I threw my stuff in with yours Al we could probably furnish a house. I still have stuff from my Mom's estate that I haven't been through. No telling what's in there.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #7322424

No Mindy deleting it would be a shame for what you believe in and for what you do for others. I try to give a little each year to the salvation army and a few others around so that helps make me feel a little better about it all.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #7322462

Now this is what Christmas is really all about. LOVE from the heart.
Does anyone know what the very first Christmas present ever given was?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7322490

Tell us, Mekos.
RRM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #7322601

I have asked this question so many times and most people say the gifts the three wise men brought or something else but the first gift ever given for Christmas was God's gift of His SON JESUS CHRIST. That was the very first gift. The reason for the season. The gift of love, hope and life. He loved us, and still does, THAT much. And so many turn this day into the give me, give me, give me, time of year. Comercialize it with expensive gifts. Most will be tossed aside or out or exchanged for something else anyway and for what? More stuff. It's really no wonder with all the pressure of how to get money to pay for all this and that or got to work all the time to buy more and have less time raising the kids or spending time with them, other drug dealers and peer pressure will be there to step in and here comes teenage sucicides, adults stealing, lawlessness, all the loneliness and hoplessness around the season. It's hyped up as a gift giving holiday. It is suppose to be the celebration of Jesus's birth. Celebrate HIS love and give from the heart, not the pocketbook.
I love the way you taught your kids, Loca. That is the true meaning of Christmas. It doesn't have to end on one day make it last the whole year. It's not difficult when it comes from the heart.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #7322720

Amen sister!
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #7322781

Amen Mekos
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2009

Post #7322846

hello all...Prayers for your son blondie...I love Christmas, but it has become so commercial. I fuss about it every year, but Christmas morning its always worth it...I love to see my kids all exited over the things they get even if I have to do with out the rest of the year... I try not to spoil them to much through out the year and they know what it is to do with out...That way Christmas is exciting..If they got everything they wanted thru the year there would be no need for Christmas morning..Right now they think because there Dad is going to be laid of for 2 weeks they wont have a Christmas, but my oldest son said thats ok... Can we at least have a tree Mom..I guess thats his way of saying I need to get the tree up...Hope you all have a great night...hugs

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #7323257

Wonderful child, honeybunch. Mekos, I love you. I love you all and love to learn about everything that is going on.
That is true about God's gift of Jesus to the world. I hear folks say the "world is going crazy" it is not the world It is the people and then NOT all of them. Just a select few. We are only nuts about our plants and each other, so we are the good bunch.
Hang in there Blondie.
We love you.
RRM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #7323293

That is so right RRM. It's not the kids fault either. It's lack of understanding and lack of time or teaching from parents who are trying their best to provide a better life for them than they had. It is created by the love for their kids, but still has the same effect. I know all parents arent neglecting the kids but many do. and those kids teach others their bad habbits. We all need to slow down and spend more time with the kids. After all they are our future. I thank God for all you moms and dads out there who take the time to teach the kids and spend time with them. Bless you all.And a big thank you to all those kids. You are the next generation and future leaders. Go with a clean pure mind and keep those values to have a better world to live in.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7323817

so nice to see someone knows about the first gift to us lost souls. and what a wonderful one it is.

Merry Christmas everyone, may love of this season bring joy to all those here and may your sorrows fade away.

Janet
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #7323840

Merry Christmas Janet, Hope yours will be very bright and wonderful as well. Bless you and good to see you here. Hope you will join in and stick around with us. We all learn from each other and entertain each other. Just a lot of fun with good friends.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2009
12:08 PM

Post #7324512

Come on in, Janet. We love new people to join and
become a new friend.
RRM

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #7324543

thanks so much for the warm welcome. don't mind if I do to join in. be back after work.

Everyone have a wonderful day.

Janet

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2009
12:36 PM

Post #7324557

We pop in and out all day.
Love this site. It is addictive.
RRM
Charleen
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #7324620

Welcome Janet, so glad you found us, lots to do on Davesgarden. I hope you enjoy our chat forum. We all check in several times a day, it is so adictive.

Have a great day everyone!!

Mickey
agnella
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #7325247

Brrrrr, had a cold snap here and I'm going to have some cleaning up to do outside. Luckily, I've got all kinds of stuff I've started inside...datura, hydrangea, red twig dogwood, butterfly bush...lots more. My hubby remarks we can't get anything done because of all the plants inside. My bathroom is plant ICU and dining room is plant nursery.

I've decided that I'm giving plants for Christmas. I'm going to make some clay pot buddies that look like heads and send some grass seed and after they grow it, they can style and cut their grass hair. I saw a cute idea for a sock 'doll' with grass hair. Decorate a sock, stuff with planting medium and position the grass seed where you want it and keep it moist. Having a hard time getting into Christmas spirit though. But what always helps is doing something simple and sweet for someone who is not expecting it. It's not about us any way. Someone posted right - Christ was the first gift and He lived as a servant to others.

Praying for those who are dealing with illness and difficulties. Thanks for the welcome.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #7325531

I don't have a greenhouse and sure wish I did, but my hous in areas is overrun with plants. Got me a plant incubator and Brugs, gingers sitting around in pots, Boabab trees, have two of them. They will sit in bathroom til March or April. After it warms up. Out they go.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7325566

Hey everyone, I opened the seed auction today-RIGHT NOW so if anyone wants to start bidding go ahead and I hope everyone has fun and everyone is invited to join in. This is a Christmas theemed auction for any that may not be familiar with the auction thread and you can bid for the seeds that are listed with what ever you have on hand. No bid is too big or too small. All bids will be considered and if you really like and want the seeds, I suggest you go make a bid. As we go along if you want to add more to your bid just edit and add them in. The object is to have fun and get new seeds for your garden while helping us get more seeds for the newbie free seed packs to be given to the new members when they join DG. When a winner is picked we send the seeds and since I use my own seeds to put up in the auction, I keep a few and send the rest to Arejay59 for the newbies, and the vegetable seeds this time will go to the village who got wiped out and need more seeds to start over growing their food. Cajuninky will get those. She and her church are sending all the vegetable seeds they can get to help these people. So open your hearts and seed bags and lets go.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #7325587

What forum is it listed under, mekos?
Where do I go?
RRM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #7325651

Go to seed trading forum and look for auction # 8 christmas theemed auction. I don't know how to do the link thingy. Sorry.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #7325720

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056916/
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #7325758

Thanks Loca. You still got my back-LOL.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #7325802

You know it girl!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #7326134

These girls take care of us, mekos. Isn't that great??
Love them.
RRM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #7326170

The best RRM. Don't know what I'd do without them. Don't want to find out either. Gotta love em.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #7326226

ok - i got someting to add tot he 'Christmas traditions' list.

one year, after a move, I had discovered that all of my christmas tree decorations had beensmashed by the movers. well, i had no money to buy new ones and the thought of how disappointed my little boy woud have been that year to have no tree was just too much, so I put my creative brain to work and decided while he was at his dads, to make my own decor. I found a simple recipe for cinnamon dough decorations and made a bunch. I glued ribbons recycled from old decorations to them and poked holes in them to hang from the tree. i also dried apple slices and hung them on the tree. took apart an old table centerpiece for the holly and tucked it here and there and added glittered pine cones from the back yard as well as a few whole cinnamon sticks. when my son came home, he couldnt get over how beautiful that tree was... an so now, every year we make cinnamon dough ornaments as part of our yearly Christmas traditions.

a coulple yers ago, we decided to give wildlife something to celebrate as well. we start as soon as pine cones begin to drop and collect them. around the second week of december, we coat the tips of each pine cone in peanut butter and roll in birdseed for 'ornaments' to hang on the shrubs. then, we string plain stale pop corn, dried berries, raisins and cheerios on several lengths of string to hang on the shrub as garland...making an 'outdoor' Christmas tree... it gives us quality time together, memories to look back on.. and a purpose.. we feed the wintering birds...
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #7326240

HI Cue what a lovely tradition you have with your son. Bet it smells as good as it looks with all that cinnamon.
Here a freind of mine gathers pine cones for the little ones in her church to coat with peanut butter and seeds. She said they love doing the squishing to get the peanut butter in the cones
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #7326296

I love that Cue, we let the grandkids put peanutbutter on the pinecones and birdseed to feed the birds it's fun and easy for kids to do and sure does help the hungry birds. Great memory makers.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #7328565

Great tradition cue! Glad to see you posting!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #7328631

Hi everyone,
I cant read everything right now. But I will. THe kids and the holidays are taking over my life. Dont fret..Ill get it under control. Patience is the word of the Month well season. So do you need a new thread? Is Cue making it? Should I make it for you? Newbies are looking for all of you.
Robin
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #7328670

Hi Robin, good to see you and Cue.
Blondie wanted me to update you all on her son and thank you all so much for prayers and please keep them coming. His progress hasn't changed,his heart is still in very bad shape, she is pretty much staying at the hospital round the clock so she needs our prayers also for strength. She will try to get back in a couple days to update everyone again. She said she appreciated all the prayers and support from everyone.
Too much rain for my internet to stay on so back later as I can get on again.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #7329300

arejay you might want to go ahead and start a new thread as cue just pops in every once in awhile and we do need a new one.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #7329724

sorry guys... I know I am kinda random these days, and trust me, there is nothing more i would rather be doing than chatting on DG.. but things is kinda hectic here... so just bear with me a little longer and I promise, you will have the old CUE back!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #7329735

CUE'S BACK!! I think the gang here has missed you, good to hear from you again.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #7329767

Keep in touch whenever you get a chance, Cue.
We will be here for you. Have Faith.
RRM
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #7330062

Hey Al just wanted to tell you the geranium cuttings you sent me some of them have little leaves on them now let's just hope I can get them through winter without losing them.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #7330525

I've got these geranium things growing all over, it was much easier than I thought. I have about 20 of the dry stems growing in one large pot with very little watering so far. Should have tons by Spring if they all root out and stay alive. I also stored the bare roots in my cellar, some have sprouted new green leaves already.

Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2009
9:59 AM

Post #7330816

NEW THREAD!!! OLD DATE NEW THREAD COME ON OVER!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060247/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America