Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Recycling Fall Leaves & More as Fabulous FREE Garden Mulch: Great article!

Communities > Forums > Article: Recycling Fall Leaves & More as Fabulous FREE Garden Mulch
bookmark
Forum: Article: Recycling Fall Leaves & More as Fabulous FREE Garden MulchReplies: 7, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 12, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #7266582

Jill, thanks for so many good advice! I always love your friendly writing which goes right to the reader's heart. I'm also using coffee grounds as compost and I'm just spreading them over, each time in different places of my garden. Same with the trimmed grass which makes a perfect mulch and good compost. I'm also using the tea bags.
Love the article!
Adina
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #7266657

I like spreading things like that around better than trying to maintain a decent "compost pile." Either way, it gets more organic matter into your garden!

Thanks

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 12, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #7267346

My DH is afraid of rats and that's why I can't keep a compost pile...as we are living in the middle of the field !LOL But I always keep the veggie covers in a plastic bag until they get a bit moisty, then dig a hole and put them in the garden. That was my organic matter for the veggie garden this summer!LOL
Adina
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #7267542

That works!

Even at 90, my grandma carried every eggshell & potato peel out to the garden to bury... :-)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 12, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #7267711

Thanks, I hope I could do that till my 90's too!LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #7268884

adina--

I don't do this any more, but I used to save up all my veggie trimmings and then puree them all in my blender--with a bit of water added.
Then i would go out and just pour it over my beds...Composts in a jiffy!

Jill--Thanks for mentioning me in your article.
This fall--I have added 6 new, filled bags with semi-shredded leaves to hide under my old evergreens. Besides these--I already had about 5-6 old bags there. They will get used next Spring.

I had to plant a Knockout Rose I had bought 2 months ago--and I took one of the older bags of leaves I had saved (almost falling apart as I lifted it) and it had the most wonderful, composted soil in it. Rich and dark. Almost not a shred of evidence that they were leaves at one time.
The bags tend to break down quicker on the bottom as they sit on the damp soil which allows worms to crawl inside and "do their stuff"...BIG fat worms!

Sometimes I sprinkle a bit of organic Espoma Lawn fertilizer in the bags and a bit of water to help all the composting along--before I close them. I believe it helps a bit.

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #7268955

Well, that method was just too good -- and easy! -- not to pass along. I'm glad you told us about it over on the MAG forum! Thanks for the additional tips about speeding the composting process along in the bags.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 13, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #7269792

Yes, Gita! Thanks for all the tips!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Recycling Fall Leaves & More as Fabulous FREE Garden Mulch Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
It's all good sallyg 5 Nov 17, 2009 1:54 PM
Great information! plantladylin 3 Mar 5, 2011 2:15 PM
Good one Jill postmandug 5 Nov 13, 2009 3:55 AM
ALL THE GOOD BASICS PRESENTED docgipe 3 Nov 13, 2009 1:49 AM
For your next article... Gymgirl 1 Aug 19, 2010 1:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America