Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Recycling Fall Leaves & More as Fabulous FREE Garden Mulch: Good one Jill

Communities > Forums > Article: Recycling Fall Leaves & More as Fabulous FREE Garden Mulch
bookmark
Forum: Article: Recycling Fall Leaves & More as Fabulous FREE Garden MulchReplies: 5, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7266966

As usual...

Come on over to the Bale Gardening forum, I've become a believer thanks to Kent.

Doug
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #7267150

Thanks! Straw bales have been on my "gotta try that!" list for a while... I think it would be great for doing a row of squash or cucumber "hills" between my fruit trees. I'll check out the forum! :-)
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 12, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #7267200

I used straw bales on my black berries, and straw berries this spring and it worked great!
It is cheap, and best of all one bale goes a long way!
This fall I put some more on the black berries and the wheat is growing this time! I was trying to pull it up but it just keeps coming!
I have geese and I was hoping they would eat it maybe, but so far they have not !!!!

Do you know what is going to happen if I leave it. Will it keep getting thicker and choke out my blackberry plants, or will it grow up, possibly into heads and then die and no problem, or what???

I really would like know what to expect, and if you have been through this before give me some pointers?

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #7267241

Amber, Doug is actually talking about growing stuff directly in straw bales... check out the forum!

Wheat is an annual, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it choking out your blackberries... not sure if it will die off over the winter, but I would guess so.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 13, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7268995

Thanks critterologist, even if you were talking about growing stuff right in the staw bales. Because you still answered my question. It is the little things that can worry me to death. I keep my stuff pretty well weed free and I was kind of worried about what to expect about the wheat.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #7269118

Ambar, some folks plant "winter rye" as a cover crop & "green manure," tilling it under in the spring... not sure if wheat would last through winter or not, but I can't see that it would do any harm. Now, if you had Johnson grass spouting up, you'd be in the same kind of trouble I've got in my berry patch! ;-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Recycling Fall Leaves & More as Fabulous FREE Garden Mulch Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
It's all good sallyg 5 Nov 17, 2009 1:54 PM
Great article! adinamiti 7 Nov 13, 2009 1:34 PM
Great information! plantladylin 3 Mar 5, 2011 2:15 PM
ALL THE GOOD BASICS PRESENTED docgipe 3 Nov 13, 2009 1:49 AM
For your next article... Gymgirl 1 Aug 19, 2010 1:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America