Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: w-sow in situ under glass lampshade?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 12, Views: 150
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ooneek
Asheville, NC

November 13, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7270244

I've always coveted glass garden cloches but could never find any other than expensive Victorian antiques. While browsing an arts and craft catalog, I saw these small glass lampshades for just a couple dollars each, and I ordered a dozen.

What do you think of wintersowing, IN SITU, under these lampshades? What problems might I encounter? I wonder if they will get too hot on sunny days. I don't want to have to fuss over them too much.

Thumbnail by ooneek
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #7270555

Um, I'm a newbie at wintersowing, but I've been reading the thread as I plan to begin some winter sowing tomorrow.

Your lampshade is nice, but how is the plant ventilated? Also, how will it get benefit of the rain? Are there holes to capture moisture, and to transpire from a buildup of condensation?

Also, what happens when the plant grows taller?

:-)
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #7270578

Is that flat top a hole, or not? I can't tell.

Karen
ooneek
Asheville, NC

November 13, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #7270662

The top is open.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #7270745

Might work OK. It's hard to guess how much heat it might hold. What zone are you in? Maybe 7 or 8? It might be best to only have it on for your coldest months. But then your seeds would be unprotected. I really can't relate to winter weather that far south.

How big is your lampshade? Big enough to not be blown away? How big is the hole in top?

Karen
ooneek
Asheville, NC

November 13, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #7271512

---We are in zone 6 or 6B. The garden is in Asheville proper and so the altitude is somewhat less than 3000 feet.

---Each lampshade weighs 6.25 ounces, which is fairly heavy for their size. The glass is 3/8 inch thick, the base outer diameter is 3.75 inch and the top opening is almost 1.25 inch across.

--Today our temp was in the mid 60s, full sunshine and no wind. After 3 hours of afternoon sun I put my finger into the one cloche I have put out so far; it's the one in the photo and it's over a forget-me-not seedling. It seemed only mildly warm inside the cloche. The seedling showed no evidence of heat stress, but the soil was very moist and that could have attenuated the effect.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #7272935

I'm shocked that you could be in zone 6? Are you certain about that?

I guess they might work OK as long as they don't fry. Of course you could have a lot of thinning and/or transplanting to do if it works well. Seems easier to me to just sow in jugs and transplant but that's just me. Are you planning to do any in jugs, or just direct and under the glass for everything?

Karen
ooneek
Asheville, NC

November 14, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #7273204

I have done plastic jugs, cut-off water bottles, etc. at my other house, which is secluded. Here in town I feel the plastic stuff looks messy and ugly. Also, I am searching for an in situ method of winter sowing.

If you look at a hardiness zone map you will see a narrow band of zone 6 or 6B oriented with the Appalachian mountains which extends NE to SW through western NC. Maybe all maps don't show it. In fact, this region is littered with microclimes. One can find niches which run the gamut from zone 5 to zone 7 or even 8, depending on the altitude and protection afforded by ridges, hollows, large boulders, etc.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7274297

I think my jugs are cute. My neighbors already thinks I'm nuts, so why not jugs too. Gives them confirmation of my wackiness.

Good luck, I hope those lampshades work well for you. Be sure to let us know.

Karen

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #7274624

I would worry about them cracking or breaking due to being wet and then getting cold.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #7277992

Ooneek, I found your question very interesting and it caused me to google "cold frame" gardening (in a wood and glass frame directly over the soil) because that seemed to be close to your idea of WS under glass cloches. I learned that early in the history of the WinterSowing site, Trudi advocated winter-sowing in a cold frame, and then later she focused on making use of various containers, generally recycled plastic milk or water jug/containers.
That doesn't mean that you couldn't use your individual glass cloches. I do worry about heat build-up because glass concentrates heat more than thin plastic does. Also, I'm not sure about what the alternate freezing and thawing would do to the glass--maybe it's tempered?
For me the individual plastic containers work because I can more them around easily for watering when Spring arrives--eventually I always remove the tops entirely. Also, I generally winter-sow "thickly" because I don't know how many seeds will germinate and survive, and the larger size of my jugs/containers accommodates lots of seeds.
Having said all this, I think you should try using the little glass lampshades and tell us how they work!
ooneek
Asheville, NC

November 16, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #7278734

Yes, as I ruminated aloud on the subject my husband said, "Just try it. You know your gardening has always been a series of experiments." It's true! I will experiment again and report back.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #7280093

Do please report back! We do a lot of that on this forum!! ;-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America