Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

SOLVED: 3" brown, spiky seed pod from Florida

Rowlett, TX

A student of mine (I teach 3rd grade in North Texas) brought in a seed pod from Florida. We opened it up and there were 2 greenish- grey seeds attached to the inside.

We have looked and looked for the species but we are not having any luck. She does not have any info as to where in Florida, or what the tree or bush looked like.

Any ideas would be helpful, as she wants to write a report on it and turn it in to our school's Nature Exchange program.

Thank you!

Thumbnail by BLMacKay
Keaau, HI

Looks like Caesalpinia bonduc, Gray Nickers.

Sarasota, FL

It's a type of sea bean. http://www.seabean.com/what.htm

Zaragoza, Spain(Zone 8b)

For me it's Caesalpinia bonduc.

Rowlett, TX

Wow! You are awesome! I do believe it is the grey nickernut! I am impressed! Thank you so much! I am going to email the student's mom right away and let her know that the mystery has been solved!

Thanks again from North Texas!

Keaau, HI

In Hawai'i, the dried gray seeds are strung into lei (necklaces). It can be very punishing to collect the seeds. Wear shoes, and bring gloves!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

Yellow Nicker-Bean (C. major) covered a good portion of my back lot when i lived in the keys. not something you'd ever want to tangle with, believe me! they are brutal.

Keaau, HI

Caesalpinia major is a pain to deal with. Here it makes stands that are impenetrable. If you have to run into a patch while hiking, just backing out of it can cause some blood loss. Those recurved spines don't want to let go!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i hear ya, dave.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.