Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: MG Potting mix - terrible ... is it my location?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 6, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #7273810

This year the 64 quart bags of MG potting mix are just terrible, full of many big wood chips. Is it just my location, central Arkansas, or have you encountered the same situation in your part of the country?

Need to find another brand to use to fill big big outdoor pots, as ProMix is just too expensive to use for that purpose. Anyone have a suggestion for other brands that are still a decent product?

Mary
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #7305747

Mary, I don't know if you are interested in mixing your own - have you seen Tapla's thread in the container gardening section? He gives very well informed instructions.

I don't like MG, I think they've gotten too big and too chemical.
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

November 25, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #7307669

Too much peat Too. Not sustainable. I don't make my own, but Kellogg makes a good one. It's called Patio Plus. Available at any Home Depot.
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #7308518

Sheryl, I will do a search and read up on his mix. Thank you for the suggestion. Maybe this is a solution and something I can handle.

daves_not_here, I'll also check at my local HD for this product. My thanks for the tip and recommendation.

My plan is now to use this horrible MG mix in the bottom of big pots and fill with another better mix. I've got 3 huge bags of the stuff that I hate to just throw out. I am still flabbergasted at the amount of wood chips in this mix. I'm talking good sized wood chips. I tried to screen some of it but that is backbreaking work for this old woman so will try to figure out another use for it as is.

Mary

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #7308833

I agree- I found all sorts of trash in the MG bags this year. In the south I used to buy Fayard and Sunshine in bales- it was really good, but can't find it here in WA.
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

November 25, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #7309044

Mary,
Did you buy the MG at Home Depot? Even if you didn't, I know the HD's out here carry it. If the HD near you is worth it's salt, they will probably let you exchange it for another type. If you have some that aren't open of course. Also, only use the Patio Plus for potting out doors. It's got lots of good stuff in it (bat guano, chicken manure, kelp) that may not smell good in doors. Hope you like it.
David
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #7309658

The other thing you could do is empty it out in any garden beds - the larger chunks will break down out there and the rain will leach away most of the additives.

Here's the forum that tapla has posted on; his two threads concerning containers and drainage and what his mix is are the two posts at the top. His name is Al and is a very sweet guy - very patient about explaining all this stuff to all of us. Link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/containers/all/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America