Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Ornamental yet good to eat

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 34, Views: 490
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
christmascactus

November 15, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #7276602

are there such a thing?
If so which one(s) do you grow?
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #7277745

Almost all peppers are ornamental to me with their different shapes and colors. My understanding is that all of them are edible but I've heard complaints that they lack subtle flavor. This photo is Largo Purple which looks like a really purple shrub about 30" tall. The fruits start out dark purple, then gold and finally red. My son eats them raw and dried. He says they're just hot. My neighbors help themselves to them when they make a pot of beans.

Bahamian Orange and Peru Yellow are particularly ornamental to me because they load out repeatedly and are so bright.

Thumbnail by twiggybuds
Click the image for an enlarged view.

christmascactus

November 16, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #7278771

twiggy, what a beautiful plant, thanks for sharing.
Is your plant planted in the ground or in a container?
What did you feed it?
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #7279040

I have it in a 3 gallon pot. Any kind of well balanced fertilizer will do. I let frost get it last year so cut it back to a nub and let it stay in my unheated greenhouse. I gave it a little water about once a month and in the spring it came back out along with babies from pods that had dropped. I potted up the babies and gave them away. Full sun is needed for max purple coloring.

I have plenty of saved seeds. If anyone would like some dmail me.
Allwild
North, TX

December 30, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #7410644

Fish pepper: 2 ft. plants can be grown in containers, are a unique variegated leaf pepper with pods that look like little fish.

Black pearl: very attractive dark leaves and very hot peppers grow well in containers; F1 hybrid.

I will be growing both of these next year (hopefully) so have no first hand info but they are both very decorative from what info I have gathered.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7430155

A lot of the "ornamental" varieties have very thin flesh, lots of seeds, and no discernable taste (to me) other than heat. However, there are a lot of other peppers that are very beautiful, even if they aren't marketed as "ornamental."

Fish Pepper is one of my favorites for flavor... I'd grow it ever year even if it weren't so cute! But it's also fairly compact, with those cream-splashed leaves and striped peppers. I think its heat is similar to a cayenne, and if you let it ripen to red it also has a wonderful sweetness, similar to a red bell pepper.

I also really love the looks & flavor of 'Sweet Pickles'. It holds its little conical peppers upright, like many "ornamental chiles," and it often has green, yellow, orange, and red peppers on it at the same time. The peppers are crisp and sweet, and even the seeds aren't bitter, so you can munch it right down to the stem.
mraider3
Helena, MT

January 8, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7440972

Like twiggybud's Largo Purple I planted a couple of Pretty-N-Purple ornamental pepper plants from a local nursery. Beautiful folage on stout little plants with fruits changing colors several times as the season goes on. Too hot to eat raw, but as you mentioned, putting a couple in your soup dishes to add some heat sounds really good to me. Also, as Ozark mentions you can add them whole, like his Maui ornamentals, to various canning recipes for additional heat. I am going to try the dried tomatoes in olive oil along with some of these whole hot ornamentals next season.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7442088

Bolivian Rainbow is an ornamental pepper with purple-ish leaves and dark purple, VERY hot small peppers. BR is both beautiful and delicious, if you like very hot peppers.
Mike
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7442200

BR does have a nice flavor to it. I'd choose varieties with both flavor and heat for cooking...
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7491864

Lemon Yellow is a beautiful bushy plant with abundant peppers turning from green to yellow late in the season. http://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/pepper, hot/hot pepper hot lemon (heirloom)+-+1+pkt.+(30+seeds).do
Hot with a fruity flavor.
Allwild
North, TX

January 24, 2010
11:58 PM

Post #7492757

Is that the same as Lemon Drop? Another that I will be growing this coming season. I am looking forward to growing this one.

http://www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2161/

dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2010
2:20 AM

Post #7493253

It could be the same. From the pictures I've seen, they look the same. You'll love them.

Mine took a lot longer to mature, but that could've been because of our unusually cool, rainy weather last summer.

Thumbnail by dividedsky

Allwild
North, TX

January 25, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7494559

Great. I've already found a recipe to try, Lemon Drop Jelly:
http://www.bvdrangs.com/recipes/LemonDrop.html
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7494902

I was looking for Lemon Drop pepper seeds online and I think the Pepper Gal is selling this pepper under the name Fatalli Hot Pepper. Here is a link to her website:

http://www.peppergal.com/product/HP49 pepper seed

Could someone take a look at this pepper and give me your opinion as to whether you think it is Lemon Drop or not?
Thanks,
Mike
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7495700

Interesting recipe! I've never had jelly like that. Do you just put it on toast or whatever else you'd normally put jelly on?

treelover, that one looks more orange than yellow, but it could be that the color is off in the photo. Other than that, it looks like Lemon Yellow/Lemon Drop.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2010
3:14 AM

Post #7497177

It's not necessarily relevant, but I thought Burpees called that one 'Hot Lemon'... at least that's the way I've been labeling it, and I thought it was still listed that way in their catalog. I'm pretty sure it's the same as 'Lemon Drop', although I haven't grown them side by side. :-)
Allwild
North, TX

January 26, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7498262

My seeds are labelled "Lemon Drop hot Tomato growers" & came from a swap, if that helps.

dividedsky, I love most all hot pepper jellies and make a different kind every year, depending on what pepper I am growing. Last year was habanero. I use it for so many things, although we enjoy it on toast. Also with cream cheese & crackers, as a dipping sauce, add some mustard (or not) and serve with egg rolls, or add to your buffalo wing glaze, are a few other ways we use it here.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7498439

Ok, like a sweet and spicy sauce. I see. I'll have to try that. Thanks.
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7505068

Largo Purple is pretty; all peppers are pretty to me, but especially the hot ones!

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #7867385

Late post but I wanted to wait and get a picture.
I have grown a lot of ornamental peppers and the "Black Pearl" is absolutely my favorite:

Beautiful
Hot
Better flavor (to me) than most all peppers.
Open Pollinated

Thumbnail by VORTREKER

Allwild
North, TX

June 7, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7867983

Oh that is very pretty and if they are hot and tasty all the better! I planted some seeds but not sure if they were old or something because they didn't even germinate. I tried a couple of times.

Fish pepper plants are coming along pretty well, about to put out their first blooms. I'm looking forward to seeing the leaves become variegated in color, they are still green?

Growing peppers has been challenging for me since I moved to zone 7!

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7868232

Flavor and heat are very similar to Tobasco.
If you wish I will save some seed and send to you. That way you will know they are fresh.
I think I am in 7B also--7B or 8A.
Many will disagree but do not try to start peppers in high peat soil.
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

June 8, 2010
1:12 AM

Post #7868880

Lemon Drop , Aji Lemon are usually c.Baccatum
Limon or Aji Limon are C.Chinense.

Fatalii isn't Limon though both are C.Chinense.
Different animals.
If I remember right , Fatalii is way hotter than either of the above.
Fatalii comes in Yellow or red colored pods.

There are lots of peppers that are good looking and great to eat.
Bolivian Rainbow,Purira,Chinese Multi color,Firecracker Pequin,Flus Blue,Fluorescent Purple,New Mex Twilight,Super Chile to name a few.
Lots of the C. Frutescens are colorful along with several C.Baccatums too.
Allwild
North, TX

June 8, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7869167

great info, smokemaster. I know where to go for questions!

vortreker, thank you for the offer, I may take you up on that!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #7875491

Yes, Lemon Drop and Bulgarian Carrot are 2 of my favorites for bright color as well as flavor.

Not all Fish Pepper plants are equally variegated, probably a variety of factors there, but I do only save seeds each year from well variegated plants. Variegation is random splashes of cream/white on the leaves. Peppers will also be striped, pretty cute. :-)
Quyen
Orange, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 25, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7920546

For the most color on one plant, I like Firecracker Piquin. The flowers are purple and the peppers change color from purple to yellow to orange to red as they ripen so you'll have all those colors on the same plant at the same time.

For the best red color and shape of pepper, I vote for Caribbean Red.
wingsandblooms
Saint Matthews, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #7983346

Can anyone tell what kind of pepper I have here? Or do I seem to have more than one variety? And, are they really edible? My first plant was given to me by a lady whose yard sale I went to. Not knowing anything about peppers, and since it was all in the same pot, I assumed it was all the same. But some have dark black/purple leaves and some of the plants' leaves remain green. All of the plants have the dark purple peppers that change to a bright orange. The original plant did not overwinter, but I took all the pepper pods off of it and buried them in the dirt in the pot. Every seed must have come up this past spring - I lifted and repotted about 40 little plants (in 4" plastic pots), and still left these largest 2 or 3 plants in their original 3-gallon pot. I can't tell you what they taste like because I don't eat them. The lady who gave it to me told me they were just ornamental peppers, not edible.

Thumbnail by wingsandblooms

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #7983636

Sometimes purple-leafed peppers revert to green in the next generation, even if cross-pollination didn't occur... if you want purple, only save seeds or bury pods from the plants with strong purple coloring.

there are several similar varieties, but yours looks something like 'Bolivian Rainbow', perhaps. The peppers are edible, but some types are definitely grown more for their ornamental value than for their flavor... for me, a lot of the "ornamental" varieties are thin-walled, very seedy, and don't have any flavor beyond "hot!!"
wingsandblooms
Saint Matthews, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7984010

Thank you
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7984060

I don't know, but they're pretty!
Allwild
North, TX

July 27, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #7999708

these are my fish peppers... no variegation or striping??

But the flavor is tasty and it has quite a bit of heat.

Thumbnail by Allwild

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7999916

I see a little variegation on two leaves to the right of the red pepper... but I do think you got cross-pollinated seed, because the shape of the peppers isn't quite "right" (should be pretty much conical; yours look like they have a little cayenne in their shape). My apologies if your seeds came from me... Fish Pepper is one I try to isolate, but sometimes bees get busy. :-)
Allwild
North, TX

July 27, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #8000430

It does have a cayenne flavor... I was suspicious!

The seeds came from a swap last year. And those bees do stay busy.

We like the flavor and we will be eating them. :-) Guess I just won't save seeds.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #8000515

If you like the flavor, by all means save seeds... just don't call them "Fish Pepper"

:-)
Allwild
North, TX

July 27, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #8000619

Good point!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America