Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: Pond pumps?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 10, Views: 216
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

November 16, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #7277987

Here's my raised,long concrete pond, just built, painted with a pond sealent and has 8 goldfish in it just to start with.
I'm wondering what sort of pump and filtration i'd need on such a long shaped pond?
It's about 5m long, 1.7 wide and about 60cm deep. I plan on having some lily pads, a big fresh water fish of some sort and maybe a small water fall up one end over rocks. No fountain..and most of the pumps i can get are for fountains.
I just don't want to change the water often and im wondering how good the water will circulate but will a to strough a pump blow the water out?
Anyone have a pond like this?

Thumbnail by breeindy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #7278265

I'm the queen of weirdo ponds, and weirdo pond shapes... If you didnt put any plumbing while building it, then the next best bet would be a submersible pump with an outside canister filter. Both can be found for a reasonable price on eBay. Get the filter that has a UV light, to keep the algae out. Total will be maybe $250. A pump will run you around $98 ON eBay...(2500-3500 gph) and a 2,000 to 3,000 gal canister filter. That way you can handle both fish and plants.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #7327454

Very cool concrete pond. Did you have it build especially or were you able to buy it this size and shape from a retailer? If it was built onsite-do you have any pictures of the process?
Poetinwood
Council Hill, OK

December 3, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #7329999

If you are going to have fish you must have plumbing and a pump, and a good filter, preferable with UV light. That waterfall could be your salvation! Build the base form extra stout, and extend it over the lip of your pond about 6 in, what's that about 15cm. Design the house for the pumps with the waterfall on top of it, down on the other end opposite the stairway. That way you could hide the plumbing going into and from the pool beneath it, letting the plumbing run over the lip of the pool and down into the water. I'm afraid I'm too far away to help.
There is a pump made for every conceivable purpose on earth. Take some good advice, pumps are cheaper than fish, buy a backup! I prefer a parallel backup pump with valves, but I spent too long in the oilfield. Do your research on the internet.
Just Google "pond pumps" for a start. Might better make that "Aussie pond pumps".
Design is everything in construction, the pumps won't blow water out because you have to have pipes big enough to circulate that volume of water so the pressure will not be too high. You may need some help designing this thing so you won't have to redo it over and over because you kept using too small a pump and pipes, and killing your fish. That's a big pond, 5.1 cu meters or 1119 British gallons, 1346 US gallons.
I want one too, my, my but that's a pretty cement pond as they say on the Beverly Hillbillies.
Thomas

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 4, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #7335339

hi mothermole- its a concrete pond, formed up and poured onsite. Lets just say my partners a builder and he employes a few guys and they were having a quite few days. hehe! Its painted with a bluey-grey pond sealant. The paths were later poured around it. I do have some pics..just gotta find them.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 6, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #7342129

thanks alot for that information thomas!

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 27, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #7400516

Well i put a stingray pump inside the pond and a big outside canister filter with the uv light and all looks good so far.. have to wait and see now. I could add another pump i supose later. We only have some goldfish in the pond at the moment while were stuffing around with it..don't think you can kill them. hehe!
Once alls good my partners hopeing to get a big fresh water fish of some sort.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 31, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #7414182

Clear now but we'll see. hehe!

Thumbnail by breeindy

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 13, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7458897

Starting to get alittle green growing on the sides..wonder if the waters being pumped past the uv light to quick to kill the algae? I just put some algae killer in that doesnt hurt fish.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2010
1:27 AM

Post #7462864

Best of luck with your new pond! It seems to me that most ponds will have an algae burst when they are first getting established, or when temps suddenly rise. Your UV filter will help with that. Keep us updated!

Brenda

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 19, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7476719

All my little lilies are growing great. The algaes died off but alots sitting in the bottom.

Thumbnail by breeindy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America