-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #7281903

Everyone is welcome to chat and share their weather! We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1054855/

My computer is back up and running like new Wooot Wooot!

Rann and Ric Congratulations!

Sally I enjoy walking at dawn too, but it shows up much too late for me to get my walk on. Its too dark now in the morning. I did go for another walk on Sunday. My dad bought the runner in Turkey a long time ago, when he traveled for work. Maybe 35-40 years ago. The grape juice looks delish!
Mau Pretty cookie jar! I got the ajuga!
Kiska Nice pictures!
Crissy I love me some sushi!
Rann I am so sorry to hear about the hamster. You have definitely had more than your share of tragedy this year. We are praying for you and the girls.
Adina - LOL!! Buck does look comfy in his new dog house!
Marylyn I dont know about you, but I am sick of Summer/Fall/Summer/Fall. I want to wear my new boots LOL!
Joanna WOW! Nice pink sunrise!

60.4 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 57 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Partly cloudy. Areas of dense fog early in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times early in the morning. High 77. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Lantana
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #7282080

Sharon: Are we the only two awake this morning? LOL I'm glad you got the ajuga --I hope it wasn't all dried up. You forgot to post the photo of the lantana!

It was 40*F on my backporch at 5 a.m. It is still 40*F on my backporch at 7:41 a.m. Our high today is supposed to be 50*F. We'll be back up in the mid-60's by the end of the week.

I went out late yesterday afternoon and dug up 3 of the pups to the Big Dipper EE and put them in the storage shed, which is insulated. I put another bag of mulch over the EE's which I left in the ground. We'll see if they make it through our winter.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #7282305

Nope I'm here! lol!

Couldn't help it but be up...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #7282308

Whoops.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7282318

does that mean they are paving your road, Ric?
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #7282374

Hi! Thanks for the congrats :-)

Drizzling rain now, light breeze and about 38F.

Hildur Eva took it pretty hard yesterday ... it took quite some time to convince her that putting the hamster to sleep was the best thing for him, she just wanted the vet to fix him! The vet was really nice and gave us some time alone for the girls to say good bye ... Just hope the remaining pets stay healthy for a while! Selma's bottled everything in more, she's really angry about all these adversities ... I've heard "God is mean" too many times ... just breaks my heart. I keep telling her that things happen for a reason and that something good will come out of all this, she's just not buying it at the moment. It's always the one who's left behind with the kids who has to deal with the problems ... the one who runs off gets off too easy in my opinion ... of course if they could deal with problems they wouldn't run off in the first place would they?

Hope everyone has a good day!

Rann

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #7282471

No rain or snow yet! It now 38 degrees chilly...

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #7282479

Unfortunately no paving...or so it appears.
They will use a horizontal bore and drill a hole all the way up the street.
Then the line will be pulled through that as they bring it back.
Out front they are digging test holes to find the existing gas and water lines so they don't cut them.
They will though fill in the holes and smooth things out so...

Rann hopefully Selma will let everything out in a constructive way.
My Stepsons were really small (1 and 3 ) when it happened to them.
Good Luck, (((HUGS))) and here's hoping you have a LOT of patience... ;-)

Well out to watch them tunnel... lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #7282798

Well dag nabbitI swear I had the picture attached this morning!
Mau Maybe you were the only one awake LOL! The ajuga is in great condition. Im going to get it planted this afternoon.
Rann Sending lots of {{{Hugs}}} to you and the girls.

Here is the lantana picture. Better late than never :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #7282907

LOL, Sharon--it happens to the best of us!:))

Gee, Ric, the least they could do after tearing up your road is replace it with a paved road!

Rann: Selma's reaction is fairly typical I think. It is so much safer to blame God than it is to blame the one who really is at fault. God is big enough to take it and He knows how Selma feels. Eventually she will come to understand that it isn't God's fault. I will pray for her and for all of you. and by the way, we all have to pay for our mistakes, one way or another, so "the one who runs off" will face his consequences sooner or later--you can count on it!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 17, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #7282930

Minus 10*F
Sunrise in about 20 minutes at 9:11.
Partly sunny. Areas of low clouds patchy fog and flurries in the morning.
Highs zero to 5 above.
Light winds except north wind 15 mph over higher terrain
Good morning all.
Thanks for the new thread, MySharona, and picture:)) Very pretty.
Molds are filled and frozen as it's time to begin the ice display.
Will unmold and start some more; it doesn't take long to freeze at these temps.

Thumbnail by kiska

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 17, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #7282965

Sunny & very windy today.

Kiska, how many hours of daylight do you get now? We are at 8 hrs 48 min.

High of +22C or 59F, Low tonight -5C or 23F
Condition: sunny and windy
Wind: SW 45 km/h or 28 mph: gusting to 59 km/h or 37 mph
Relative Humidity: 39%
Pressure: 99.6 kPa or 29.42" falling
Dewpoint: -3.25C or 25.7F
Ceiling: unlimited
Visibility: 48 km or 30 miles

Altitude: 1084 m or 3556 ft
Latitude: 51.12
Longitude: -114.04

Sunrise: 7:56AM
Sunset: 4:45PM
Daylight Hours: 8 hrs 48 min

Here's a photo of a wintersowing example that I have prepared for a local hobby & craft fair this Saturday. We have a little garden club that we are promoting and wintersowing is one of the workshops that we do in the winter months

Thumbnail by joannabanana

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #7283016

Thanks Mau for you words of wisdom ... somehow they made me feel so much better ;-) lol

Kiska - your Ice figures are sooo coool - can't wait to see the final result ...

The stray rabbit is still with us and has totally won us over. The girls call her Lotta and she's the most grateful rabbit I've ever known. She loves to snuggle with the girls and she's ready to try anything they're eating ... here she's stealing a bite of Selma's Ice cream ... she'll also hog the popcorn if she gets the chance ... and she got into Selma's candy this weekend and ate a piece of liquorice and a gummy bear before we could stop her ... she wanted more! lol

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #7283025

42 grey and gloomy. A perfect day. I'm hoping for more rain.

Rusty, that doesn't sound like very nice weather.

Joannabanana, beautiful sunrise! We still water the pine trees till it freezes.

Ric, they came back to the same section of sidewalk this year and now I have at least 2 adults burying cicadas.

Sharon, glad your computer is like new! Your Dad did a good thing. What a treasure! I love lantana!

Marsue, I was up at 4:30, but DH had the computer. The EE's will be an interesting experiment. It would be nice to not have to dig them each year.

Ric, that's a big machine! It's fun to watch them work.

Rann, their world has been turned upside down. Selma doesn't mean it, but it's the worst thing she can say to make herself feel better. My heart goes out to all of you. It WILL be ok in the end. It's too bad there isn't a fairy tale to tell them. Hugs and big prayers!!

Kiska, what will you make with the molds?

Joannabanana, wintersowing must be very satisfying. Those are very healthy. I considered growing them next year for the butterflies.

I had to go to the dentist this morn to get a bridge glued back on. It came off while I was savoring a carmel topped turtle cheesecake. It was the easiest dental appointment I've ever had. LOL!

The deer to the north of us.

Thumbnail by billyporter

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #7283058

Thanks Sally :-)

Another one of Lotta ... she's INCREDIBLY patient with the girls ;-) lol

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7283133

Rann, hugs to you and the girls. At least you have Lotta to help cheer you up. (Is Lotta an Icelandic name that you would give a girl, or is a word? Like in the U.S. you might call a rabbit Fluffy, but you wouldn't name a child that.)

My mom ran into a deer the other day. (She's in PA.) She didn't get hurt though it was frightening, as I can only imagine. There was $900-some damage to the car but insurance will pay for most of it. Hopefully their rates won't go up.

COULD USE SOME RAIN!!!

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PST on November 17, 2009
73 F
Clear
Humidity: 12%
Dew Point: 18 F
Pressure: 29.99 in (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

The amaryllis doesn't know what time of year it is.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7283137

Oops, try again

amaryllis

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #7283142

Rann: so glad my words made you feel better. Lolly--whoops, make that Lotta--is a furry bundle of love for the girls to hug. I'm sure she takes their minds off a lot of things these days. Selma is still as beautiful as ever (so is Hildur Eva).
Ric: send those guys down here--I need someone with a backhoe to put in a french drain in my back yard. LOL
Kiska: making those ice molds must be fun--exactly how long does it take water to freeze at minus 10F?
BP: LOL--42 and grey and gloomy is a perfect day? When we lived in our previous house, there was a herd of deer that roamed our area. One time I took a photo of nine deer grazing under the big oak trees in our side yard. They never came up real close to the house because we had two dogs that would chase them off--so therefore the deer didn't eat my flowers. :o)) I would post that photo but it is on my old desktop computer--not on this laptop.

Kelli: gorgeous amaryllis--my flowers don't know what time of year it is, either. The daffodils are trying to bloom! Glad your mom wasn't hurt!
Joanna: good luck with your little garden club and the wintersowing project.

I was just outside with my dog, Friday, and it is still just 46F on the back porch--hasn't warmed up much today at all. Overcast--no sun but no rain, either. Somewhat windy so it feels colder than it really is.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2009 1:04 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #7283162

Rann, Selma is growing into a real beauty. Lotta is a very nice bunny and the buggy photo is adorable! How lucky you are to have found her.

Kelli, I'm glad your Mom wasn't hurt. A woman in town totaled her car and got another. She just hit another deer with the new one. Beautiful amaryllis!!

Marsue, I like all kinds of weather as each type has it's place. I must admit I don't like big winds as much as I used to, or freezing rain.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 17, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #7283289

Mau, you couldn't have said it better to Rann! !Good luck with the EE! Is Friday OK?
Rann, Lotta is so cute and really so patient!LOL I'm glad you and the girls have her to cheer you up! I know you must be feeling overwhelmed now, but you are so young and have all your life ahead of you...and the girls who need you so much. If "the one who runs off" doesn't care about you , he doesn't deserve to suffer for him. I pray you can go through this easy.
Ric, I hope they won't damage too much...ugh!
Sharon, thanks for the new thread. Lantana is gorgeous! How are your girls? You are right, the pup Trica loves me so much and I love him too. He always stays near our fence.
Jackie, I love your ice display!
Sally, yummy! Glad it wasn't too bad at the dentist.
Joanna, such a great hobby!
Patgeorge, sorry for your beloved Sasha...what was she?
Marylyn, what did you do to be so busy? How are your bunnies?

It's been dyson dark today. Too humid. No wind. Thanksgiving cactus is blooming.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #7283411

It now 42 and still so chilly outside...

I got 2 TC growing buds and white bloom open today and other one is orange...
Temp in garage 50*...
Orange:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #7283444

It was pretty neat watching them laying down the line.
They basically sat in the middle of the road and bored a hole in each direction.
Then back pulled the gas line, hooked the pipes together and left.
Took them about 5 hours total to run 500' of pipe.
Very little damage to the street so we won't get a new one...lol!
Next phase is they will dig a small (3' x 3' x 3') hole next to our meter and attach the new line.
That may well be a month away.

Ric

This message was edited Nov 17, 2009 3:38 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #7283478

Great Shots ALL!

Rann I still can't believe you guys found a tame rabbit running around.
In most of the USA it wouldn't have lasted 15 minutes.

If kiska's making ice then winter can't be too far away!

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #7283513

Ric, what are they doing at your place? Putting in a gas line?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #7283595

Replacing the old lines in our entire area.
They've been at it for about a year and a half.
Finally got to us.

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 17, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #7283763

It's still below zero*F, but the sun's nice and bright.
I just unmolded the ice and set them up on the deck railing.
Joanna~we're at 6hrs; 58mins.
Latitude: 61.6
Elevation: 246ft.
kelli~so glad you mom is ok. What a scare.
marsue~it begins to freeze immediately; I've not timed how long till it can be unmolded, but wouldn't be more than a few hours.
bp~the ice is just a way to have fun w/cold. Setting out an ice display is quick and easy and should last for weeks.
ric~interesting info on gas line installation.
Hearts/star ice.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 17, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #7283764

Some ice-trees on a table.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #7283846

Kiska, have you ever tried coloring the water with food coloring?
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 17, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #7284060

kelli~yes; and I've also added some decorative birthday candles last season. Been thinking I would spray some colorful water on them.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #7284302

Kiska: Kelli was reading my mind when she asked about coloring the ice sculptures. I was thinking that you had colored some of them last year. They are very pretty with the sun shining through them. :o))
Adina: Friday is doing just fine--his same old cute self! :o)) That
is a very pretty TC.
Rusty: your TC is very pretty also. I have never seen an orange TC. My TC is white and it is going to have to hurry if it is going to be in full bloom in time for Thanksgiving. LOL

Been cold here all day--never got above 46F on my back porch but it felt even colder with the wind blowing slightly. Cold is relative--when you compare what I consider cold to what Kiska considers cold, there is a big difference!! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 18, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #7284352

This is long but quite entertaining:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What to Plant?: It's all in the stars. Here's your 'hortiscope'

As an astrologer, I have been accused of trying to lead the masses down the garden path. Usually I would defend myself against such allegations, except that "the garden path" is exactly where I'm headed.

BY THE EDMONTON JOURNALAPRIL 27, 2006

As an astrologer, I have been accused of trying to lead the masses down the garden path. Usually I would defend myself against such allegations, except that "the garden path" is exactly where I'm headed.

Every zodiac sign has a particular gardening style. A flighty Gemini might have difficulty committing to a long-term landscape plan. The solution? Plant more annuals. A Cancer gardener may need to put down roots, planting species that take years to mature.

I'm not just making this up! The astrological advice I'm about to share is based on ancient traditions. Nevertheless, the art of gardening is constantly being modernized by the introduction of new varieties, including plants that have received the All-America Selections distinction -- recognized for superior garden performance throughout North America. Keep an eye open for these newcomers when you visit the greenhouse this spring. Even if you don't put any credence in my astrological expertise, you'll thank your lucky stars that you put some faith into my gardening advice.

Aries - The Ram: March 21-April 19

In spring your get-up-and-go attitude is unrivalled. By midsummer, many of you wonder where it got up and went. Living with a short attention span is your challenge. Try using more trees and shrubs in your landscape plan. Plant annuals en masse so that individual areas of the border burst into colour at different times like fireworks exploding across the sky. Keep a few flowers in pots waiting in the wings to fill in the gaps where things don't work out. Your style is contemporary, so don't underestimate the importance of modern architectural elements in your design.

Your flower: With flowers resembling torches, Celosia Fresh Look Red and Fresh Look Yellow (AAS 2004) suit your fiery nature. These easy-to-grow, sun-loving annuals are ready to steal the show wherever they're grouped together.

Taurus - The Bull: April 20-May 20

The cottage garden is a perfect match for you, because this sentimental style invites a little neglect. Comfortable patio furniture has a special place in your landscape, too, and you probably enjoy it more than the flowers. Compensate for your decadent nature by choosing plants that don't require rigorous maintenance. Taurus is associated with flowering fruit trees. If you're not going to use the fruit, find varieties with a lighter yield, or it may be rotting on your lawn next spring. Fall cleanup is not your specialty!

Your flower: Hollyhock Queeny Purple (AAS 2004) is not only shorter than the hollyhocks that bloomed in your grandma's garden, but it's also the first purple variety available as a single colour. Its carefree habit makes it a must-have for the carefree Taurus gardener.

Gemini - The Twins: May 21-June 20

One day in winter you declare that flowers are your passion. Soon your house is full of seed trays, grow lights and potted bulbs. Usually this gardening mania lasts until you get your seedlings into the ground. Just as often, it's abandoned once something else catches your attention. Enjoying new things is in your nature. Sticking with them isn't, so embrace the fact that you can be fickle. Look for plants that were unheard of a few years ago. Fill up pots with new varieties, and impress your friends with your floral fashion sense. Avoid major renovations until you've given yourself time to consider the projects. The last thing you need is a fish pond full of mosquito larvae that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Your flower: Diamonte Coral Rose Diascia (AAS 2006) might just be the must-have of the season. Cold tolerance also means that this cascading variety can thrive in sunny pots north of the border. Don't leave the greenhouse without it!

Cancer - The Crab: June 21-July 22

The style that best suits you is the "classical" style of gardening, with its roots in French and English estates. Formal borders, well-manicured lawns and conventionally beautiful blooms appeal to your conservative nature. Even the vegetable garden is laid out in an orderly fashion, reminiscent of more ambitious projects, like formal herb gardens. Neoclassic statuary plays an important role in the landscape, and patios are often crafted from stone. Avoiding the fickle nature of fashion is your primary concern. Like a crab who carries his home on his back, you should expect to live with your garden for as long as nature allows you to.

Your flower: The lilac flower spikes of Salvia farinacea Evolution (AAS 2006) provide an attractive alternative to lavender in cold climates. Take advantage of their uniformity and line them up like toy soldiers in beds and borders.

Leo - The Lion: July 23-Aug. 22

You are a master of the mixed border, combining plants with the flair of a florist. Showy blooms in abundance and contrasting foliage colours define the dramatic style of your sign. You're also talented when it comes to garden design, incorporating structures such as pergolas and arbors into your plan. Leo is also the sign that hits its stride in the summer heat. Being able to entertain in your yard at that time is important to you, so make choices that allow your guests to be comfortable. Practical considerations often take a back seat to your creative impulses.

Your flower: Heat tolerant and showy enough to be seen from a few blocks away, Zinnia Zowie Yellow Flame (AAS 2006) has a place in anyone's garden, but be the first in your neighborhood to show it off this summer.

Virgo - The Virgin: Aug. 23-Sept. 22

The Virgo style is that of perfection, yet there is nothing perfect about nature. Still, the Virgo gardener will work to fashion a facsimile of nature. This style is akin to the Japanese way of gardening, where the surroundings are cleverly manipulated to appear untouched by human hands. Foliage plays a far greater role than flowers, and plants are often chosen for other characteristics they exhibit, like interesting seed heads or distinctive bark. The most important element, however, is the transition zone between indoors and outdoors. In theory, there should be very little contrast between these areas. In practice, just try to track a few dead leaves into this clean house!

Your flower: Like a wetland cattail with dark purple foliage, Ornamental Millet Purple Majesty (AAS 2003) is different from anything else on the market. Nothing about this plant is messy, making it a perfect choice for even the neatest Virgo gardener.

Libra - The Scales: Sept. 23-Oct. 22

You combine plants in a manner that makes others appear pedestrian, because good taste is programmed into your DNA. But the inclination to slack off is also part of your genetic makeup.

It's easier to maintain a few pots than it is to tend to a whole yard, so consider container gardening as your ideal hobby. Dismiss grandiose plans at first, including water features, topiaries and even large lawns.

Every time you get hung up on one project, it's usually at the expense of another. A glorious garden might mean a messy house. Strike a balance! Start small and then see where it goes.

Your flower: Heat-loving zinnias thrive in containers where the soil temperature remains relatively warm. The huge, long-lasting blossoms of Zinnia Magellan Coral (AAS 2005) need far less deadheading than most other annuals, too.

Scorpio - The Scorpion: Oct. 23-Nov. 21

Intense passion is the hallmark of your sign. When that passion is directed into a creative project, the results are unrivalled. The reason for this isn't just your dedication to your hobby, but also the style of garden that you plant. Scorpio is associated with the realities of life, including sex, birth and death. The Scorpio garden dies as spectacularly as it lives, with brilliant autumn colours, unique seed pods and colourful, ripe fruits. The fragrant, flowering plants of this landscape also invite life of another kind. Bugs thrive in this olfactory banquet, and so do their predators. This is where life happens, and it's also where life ends. That's nature!

Your flower: An intense colour puts Nicotiana Perfume Deep Purple (AAS 2006) in a class by itself. But it's the scent of these flowers wafting through the garden on calm evenings that will make it your passion for years to come.

Sagittarius - The Archer: Nov. 22-Dec. 21

If possible, the typical Sagittarius gardener would have one of everything. However, most botanical gardens don't even have enough space for the ambitious, expansive plans of this enthusiastic sign. As a result, the garden often spills out its boundaries, into greenhouses, into the house or down the back lane. Sometimes this impulse to move beyond borders inspires the gardener to discover ways to extend the season. Out-of-zone plants are tested for their hardiness, yet there is rarely disappointment when a specimen doesn't survive. The death of one plant is regarded as a chance to plant another. An opportunity never goes unnoticed in this ever-evolving garden.

Your flower: Free-flowering under a wide variety of conditions, Viola Skippy XL Red-Gold (AAS 2006) should have you fired up this spring, since the season never starts early enough for the Sagittarius gardener.

Capricorn - The Sea Goat: Dec. 22-Jan. 19

In gardening, patience is a virtue that few possess. While others might landscape a new yard with reckless abandon, the Capricorn gardener adopts a long-term plan, selecting plants for what they will become, not what they look like on the greenhouse floor. Every aspect of the new variety is carefully considered, including winter interest.

Evergreens form the framework of this style, outdoing architectural elements in terms of visual significance. Under a blanket of snow, the mature Capricorn garden is unrivalled for its beauty.

Esthetically, this is the garden of the late bloomer, and before it's established it might just appear to be a work-in-progress.

Your flower: Try filling the gaps in your garden with Dianthus Supra Purple (AAS 2006). Lending continuous bloom to the border, these beauties sometimes survive under the snow to flower again the following spring.

Aquarius - The Water Bearer: Jan. 20-Feb. 18

According to the Aquarius gardener, the yard should be a place to socialize. Patios, decks and firepits can take up considerable real estate in your garden, pushing plants into places that might not allow them to flourish. The solution to this problem is container gardening. You can be fond of fashion, yet your individual style is rarely defined by current trends. The ability to combine tried-and-true strains with more unconventional varieties is your gift from the heavens. Just remember that plants in pots require attentive watering. Midsummer might be your most sociable time of the year, but it is often your laziest season, too.

Your flower: Gaillardia Arizona Sun (AAS 2005) can be a shining star in your patio pots. Save a few for a sunny border, too. Depending upon the severity of your winter, they might show up for a repeat performance next year.

Pisces - The Fish: Feb. 19-March 20

A fish pond suits your sign, of course. Yet water gardening can be a very labour-intensive process. Start small and develop the necessary skills to master this discipline. Check your imagination at the garden gate, too. You're inclined to take on projects that are well beyond your capabilities. Accept that gardening is trial and error, and you'll be able to turn those black thumbs into green thumbs.

In the meantime, let your whimsical nature take over. Go ahead and buy that entire village of garden gnomes! As your knowledge of gardening grows, plants will soon become the foundation of your landscape. Just be patient. You don't want to look like a fish out of water.

Your flower: Ornamental Pepper Black Pearl (AAS 2006) should have a place in your yard this season. With its exotic, pitch-dark leaves and low-care growing requirements, it's likely to thrive in any garden - even yours!

Greg Polkosnik is a freelance writer and lecturer who spends his summers working in the greenhouse business.

Last year he won the Edmonton Horticultural Society's competition in the Annual Beds category and placed second in Container Gardens.

(c) CanWest MediaWorks Publications Inc.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #7284587

Cold and wet. It is too warm here for snow but north of here an hour they got several inches. Our high was about 40 today with a steady rain.

Kelli, did you hear about Greiniske (sorry if spelled wrong) won the Cy Young Award today?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #7284661

Kiska I love those!

Cool and cloudy most of the day.
We probably hit 54 though during the very few sunny times it was quite nice.
Drizzle started about 3 PM but has slacked off.
Radar shows it is settling in for a good shower in a few hours.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 18, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #7284889

Pepper, yes I heard about Greinke, and I thought of you.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
11:38 AM

Post #7285669

Joanna: that's an interesting article that you posted. Doesn't describe me all that well (December) but it was fun to read. :o))
Pepper and Kelli: Who? can you tell I don't keep up with sports---LOL
Celia: where are you?

Today--mostly cloudy with a high in lower 50's. Currently on my back porch it is 40*F.

Like Celia did earlier in the month, I went out and cut the few remaining blooms on my roses yesterday. This photo shows two Don Juans, one Golden Showers, one Angel Face (lavender)

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 18, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #7285744

How long before he is playing for the Yankees ?

Going to paint the living room & bathroom today.
Then, next step is gutting the bedroom. It still has lath & plaster. It's got to go!

Monday, all the Gladiolus bulbs got their winter drench & put into storage. Moved all the potatoes to winter storage. We have enough left so we don't need to buy seed this spring.

Yesterday, we went to the daughters house & poured the driveway. Went pretty good.

Lots of cabinet work to get done! My son got the shop organized yesterday, so is ready to work in there today. I'll have to make a run for Oak lumber, as he is nearly out.

25, going for 50 today. Will be sunny. All above normal. Light rain tomorrow.

Bernie
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7286183

Good luck with your projects today, Bernie!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #7286245

I agree Bernie Good Luck!
How do you store the taters?

Lovely last roses Mau!

Rainy here and 52 looks like it will hold all day.
Rain should be moving out by late evening.
Then back to more of the normal averages acording to the local forecast.
Low 50's and upper 30's.
TWC is predicting above average so...
I'm hoping this warm spell would last thru Thanksgiving...lol!

Off to the garage to get MY wood organized...

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #7286417

I got up this morning struggling with a slight case of depression. Crystal was here for 2 whole days and I had to take her home yesterday. Reading the posts here have made it go away. Thank you!

Crystal's colposcopy showed nothing that was concerning. They will not require another test until a few months after her baby is born. Yea!!!

37.6 F with 47 for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 38 F
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 30 F
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 30.04 in (Falling)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Taking her home was fun. I let her drive the Corvette. We were approaching Strawberry Reservior and it was so cold, a fog bank was settled over the area. Too bad I forgot my REAL camera.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7286420

Driving into the fog.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #7286510

'vette?
Can I come and stay?
I guarantee you won't be depressed...lol!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7286533

LOL Yes, come over and stay!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #7286611

still doing some cleaning on my pc, so I haven't been able to log on at home today, (shhhh i'm at wokr hehhehhhe)
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

November 18, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #7286959

adinamiti

Sasha was a bitsa (bitsa this and bitsa that)

Thumbnail by patgeorge

patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

November 18, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #7286972

This is Saha's twin brother Tekky. He died of kidney failure when he was eleven.

Thumbnail by patgeorge

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 18, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #7287393

Kelli, what a relief your mom was OK !
Mau, cute Friday! Love those roses!
Celia, what a good news, makes me so happy for you!
Patgeorge, Sasha and Tekky were such cute doggies! What about the one you have now?
Jackie, so beautiful !
Rusty, I wish I had some orange TC too, such a sweet color!
Joanna, interesting about the 'hortiscope'...mine is Pisces like Ric, but it comes better for him, he already has a fish pond!LOL
It was again Dyson dark and humid...grrrr! My mom gave me 2 new species of mums which she bought for my garden. I took her today to buy a new fridge cause her old one was broken. I'll take some pics tomorrow. The mums are pink, purple and orange. Posting a picture of Buck in the new DH.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 18, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7287610

We store the glads in our cooler. We put a small electric heater in there set at 40.
The taters are in the cold storage next to our wood shop. Not as cold as it should be, but it works.

Went out this afternoon & lifted the plastic mulch. Hired hand will pick it up next time he is here.

Back to painting.
Bernie
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #7287665

Celia: welcome back--we miss you when you are away from us--if only for a day or two. So glad that Crystal and the baby are doing okay! Neat photo of the fog bank.
patgeorge: cute dogs! I like the term "bitsa"--LOL
Adina: Buck looks like he is enjoying his new dog house. Do you put straw or hay in their houses for them to curl up in?
Bernie: how is the painting coming along?

It got up to about 53*F around here today--a real heat wave--LOL

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7287720

All day cold same temp. 45*...

I stay home and keep warm until tomorrow will be nice mild for sure...
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 18, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #7287763

2*F above
Partly cloudy. Patchy morning fog and flurries.
Highs zero to 5 above.
Light winds except north winds to 20 mph over higher terrain.
Adina~how are you after you fall? Hopefully you're doing ok.
Cecilia~what a gorgeous way to get around.
patsgeorge~cute bitza/bits.
Have a good evening, everyone.
It's now 3pm and we've errands run.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 18, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #7287766

hi rusty~sorry/crossed. Keep warm; it's miserable to be cold.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 19, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7287972

Just finished the living room ceiling.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #7288159

High of low 40s with rain and drizzle once again all day. But now it's drying out and the sun will supposedly try and pop it's head out tomorrow. I hope it suceeds cause our roads are sloppy and need to dry.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #7288229

Hi everyone!! Been bummed out lately and too busy at work to chat. Doing better, just majorly worried. If I don't end up with an ulcer it's going to surprise me (well, not really but you know!)

Nice pics!!! Love them all, and Celia your cell phone pic of the fog blew up to almost my whole computer screen.

I wanna drive the Vette!

We were supposed to get sun this afternoon after noon (lol) but that didn't happen. My car said it was 51 at lunch at 11:00am, I don't know what it said driving home, didn't even look.

Love the horoscope!

Dave's boss asked him to work the weekend of Thanksgiving, so at least we know he'll have a job then.

FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7288232

Hi Sharon and everyone...I'm back. I use to talk to y'all from my house in Newport News, VA until last April. We FINALLY moved to Brunswick GA and I am in my new house we built here in the warm coastal region of south Georgia. Warm warm sunny days around 80 each day (tough huh) LOL Sharon...we are practically neighbors. I went to Amelia several times this summer and we love Fort Clinch and found some awesome conch shells after hurricane Bill stired up the Atlantic last summer. Finally got my computer up and running last weekend. It's been a long spell but so happy to be back.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7288258

Flip Welcome back!
Glad you are staying warm...lol!

Beautiful pups PatGeorge!

Adina and I of course share a Zodiac sign as we share a Birth Date.
I will admit that horoscope did pretty much nail me...
and will Adina too as I'm sure a pond is in her future.
Remember it says baby learning steps first.

Gray and rainy most of the day.
We hit 50 and stayed there.
I did get a little more trim work done.
I definitely need to hit the store and get some Cedar.

Ric
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #7288279

Thanks Henry. Will send pics of the house soon.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #7288502

Welcome back, Flip! --wondered where you disappeared to! Send some of your warm air up here! LOL
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2009
12:43 PM

Post #7289156

Welcome back Flip!! Personally I prefer a change of season.

My BIL is still working on my pc. Apparently its really messed up LOL! Hes done a lot of cleaning and there is still more to do. The thing is, all 4 of us used it a couple of years ago, so Lord only knows what is on this thing!

We are still about 8-12* above normal (depending on the time of day).

59.0 F
Fog
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 59 F
Wind: 2.0 mphfrom the NNW
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Rising)
Visibility: 0.2 miles
Elevation: 20 ft

Now
Through 9 am...patchy dense fog will reduce the visibility to a quarter of a mile or less at times. Motorists as well as marine interests should use caution. The fog is expected to lift by around 9 am.

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy dense fog early in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times early in the morning. High 76. Northwest winds around 5 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #7289177

Sharon: what is that yellow thing that Prissy and Pea are occupied with?
Yesterday, I bought Friday a safety harness for use while riding in the car. I thought I would try it out when I go to my daughter's for Thanksgiving next week. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive and I hate to keep Friday cooped up in a carrier. I will see if he likes the harness better--sure hope it works!

We are supposed to have a high today of around 63*F this afternoon. Currently
39*F on my back porch.

I went out yesterday and took some photos of the late blooming flowers in my yard.

The Knock-out roses seem to be going strong but you can tell that some of the other plants have already lost their leaves and are looking pretty sad.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #7289181

This loropetalum thinks it is spring!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #7289184

The Hot Lips Salvia is still blooming, too. All of my plants have been very confused by the warmer weather we had last week--they don't know whether it is spring or fall!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #7289190

and this is a study in contrasts--brightly colored zinnia blooms on top of stalks that look dead! That's a blue salvia to the right of the zinnias.

Thumbnail by marsue

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #7289209

It now 33* will be mild around 60* ...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #7289454

Looks like Prissy has a death grip on that thing...

46 Cloudy but the rain has moved on...
Sunny for tomorrow thru Monday mid upper 50's.
It's WAY too far out to be accurate but our Thanksgiving forecast is for rain and mid 50's.

Our plants are confused also.
We have daffs coming up in several places... they are toast unless we bring them in.
Like Chrissy we have some roses blooming around us and a few salvia.
In sheltered spots there are a few Impatients blooming and teh Nicotiana are still blooming away.

Ric

kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 19, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7289836

Sunrise: in about 1 hour at 9:17
Sunset: 4:05
6 hours 48minutes daylight
Minus 4*F
Today
Sunny. Highs 5 below to 5 above. Light winds.
good morning and will bbl~~

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #7290018

Mau, it looks like a giraffe the kids are playing with. Your flowers are still pretty. Ours are all gone now. NOT!!! We STILL have snaps, allysum and a few gaillardia.

Sharon, those babies of yours are just as cute as can be! LOL

Welcome back, FF!!! Nice to know you're still around. Glad the move was successful and look forward to garden pics!

Rusty, stay warm. I didn't mention before how pretty I think your paint choices have been. I love them all.

Ric, how much more work is needed to complete the hottub area? Are they done with the road work?

Patgeorge, your pups are so cute!

Adina, I missed the post about your fall! I'm sorry that happened. Are you okay now?

43.8 F with 47 for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 43 F
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 28 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.32 in(Falling)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #7290127

Almost 50 and I think the rain is over.

I'm too far behind again to comment, but I read it all.

Beautiful flowers and loved the ice molds! Nice dogs!!

Welcome back Flip!
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #7290132

53F and raining here today. We have had mostly wonderful weather the first half of Nov. and I was able to get quite a few things done outside. Last week I made a new "shady" flower bed with a fieldstone rock wall for a nice focal point/anchor in the far back corner of the yard. I rototilled it up yesterday and added 6 heaping wheelbarrows of compost so it's ready to plant. I took advantage of the near 70F high last Saturday to shingle the lean-to roof on the back of the garage. I cut it close and had 3 extra shingles left out of 3 squares when finished.

Ric said..."Well out to watch them tunnel... lol!" I had to laugh at this one. We never get too old to be fascinated by construction workers playing with those big construction machines.

Good to have you back FlipFlops!

Joanna...I'm a Libra and my horoscope is hit and miss. While I have been told I have a knack for laying out flower beds and landscaping etc, the recommendation to get a few pots and leave it at that is way off the mark. I have a huge yard full of flower beds and I'm adding more all the time. :)

marsue...Nice color. The only thing left here is a Black Eyed Susan in a sheltered spot next to the deck and a few Knock-out roses.

Kiska...Winter sure sets in quickly there! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your winter mountain scenes.

Bernie...Your addition is looking great!

Here are a few photos of the new bed I built last week.

Early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #7290135

A closer view. I collected the rocks at the in-laws farm.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7290143

And finally, a view from the side. It's around 30-35 feet long and 7-8 feet wide. The shade plants I got from the neighbor last summer and the others from the big Lowes sale this fall will go in there.

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7290145

The Hot Tub Enclosure is done.
I'm now back on trim and such on the Sewing Room.
I finished 'marrying' the room to the existing gates yesterday, also did under the eaves.
We just got back from buying cedar and pressure treat to do the east wall and north wall trim.
Still haven't quite figured on the design for that east wall yet...
The south wall we will be finishing probably by Sunday or so.
We still have to pour a little concrete to finish the foundation.
We couldn't do this until the plants were dormant.
Then we'll frame that new door and finish the exterior wall.

Ric
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #7290167

Ric...Sounds like you've been busy too. You're a construction/building wonk. Check out this link. I'm not sure how it ended up in a "summer veggies' link but there is a series of photos at the bottom.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7066829

early_bloomer

This message was edited Nov 19, 2009 1:47 PM
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #7290178

Since the time change I leave very close to dawn and get home after it's already dark, so I don't see my garden until the weekends. I know I have daffs coming up, brugs still blooming and need to get over to the brug forum to get instructions on how far to cut them to the ground, I planted them in the ground, not a pot person myself. I have some sort of Salvia coming up and blooming in the flowerbed beside my front steps, Zennia's are blooming, Creeping Jenny is looking kinda rough, and all of those plants are still in pots beside my house! Between work and leaf picking up I haven't had time to do anything, but I can't leave Dave with all of it to do.

Nice Early!

Hi Flip!

Woo Hoo Ric, two done, six to go? Oh yea, those are Mau's pretty roses, I don't have roses.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #7290272

Thanks e_b!
That's just about exactly the size we're getting up supplies to build.
Weird little pier supports but I can see how they'd work great.
Love that Rock!!

No construction today.
Grey Day and we got a lot of running done so we just don't feel like it today...

Should be sunny and nice for the next few days... much better working conditions...lol!

Here's the horizontal boring machine.
It was cool. She set it up and had a spotter.
He used a sensor to find the depth and direction of the drill bit.
Then it drilled 10' out, the shaft pulled back,
automatically added another 10' section from the rack,
off it went again.
They did 500' and popped in 3" from where they were aiming.
Will all the pipes under our street it would have taken a week to dig and lay the new line.
They were done in under one day.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #7290298

You,re lucky you only had to deal with it for one day. How long have they been doing the street?

We've been putting up with road construction for 2 years now. Last year, all summer and into the fall, they had our closest cross street torn up replacing pipes. This year, it has been the nearest major road under destruction. They widened it and are putting in a light rail system near the mall. Both roads are the ones we use most often.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7290339

They have been working around our area for 3 years.
One street was totally dug up and all services reworked.
The rest they are just doing the gas.
It goes fairly fast around us.
Several streets over it took them months to do what took 3 weeks on our main connector.

We live on an undedicated street.
Most places call that a private road I think.
Each house owns the street to the middle.
So we are no locked in to zoning as they are elsewhere.
No sidewalks, storm drains, etc. but we have to repair it.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #7290365

Marilyn, Zack Greinke is a pitcher for the Kansas City Royals. He won the Cy Young Award, which means he's the best pitcher in the American League, as voted on by the sportswriters.

Joanna, I'm a Virgo (the most boring sign) but my gardening style is more Sagittarius.

Neat wall, E_B Reminds me of "Something there is that doesn't love a wall..." http://writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88/frost-mending.html

Updated: 11:51 AM PST on November 19, 2009
77 F
Clear
Humidity: 17%
Dew Point: 28 F
Pressure: 29.96 in (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

MIL comes tomorrow. I've got all of the cleaning and shopping done. Yay!

Thumbnail by Kelli

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 20, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #7291085

It's late, but I'll post a quick note. I'm OK, the falls were gentle and I don't feel any pain after that, thank God! I had a day off today and did a major cleaning of the kitchen closet which took me all day. Still, I could dig a bit in the garden and put some compost in the garden for next spring. Also, I had to tie up th emums because the blooms are too heavy for their stalks.My mums are blooming big time here and a few of the gaillardia , pansies and calendula too. The weather was nice and warm, a bit foggy in the morning , but sunny at noon.
Jackie, great pic of the icy window.
E_B, love the wall, great job!
Sharon, I was wondering the same about the yellow thing...what is it? Pea seems to want it for herself!LOL
Mau, you have so many blooms, wow!
Celia, what a fight!LOL
Kelly, TC is so beautiful!
Ric, good they are done! Did I understand well...do you have to do the repairs of the street?! I definately will build a fish pond!LOL
Crissy, most of the time I'm just like you, can see the garden only in week-ends and days off... when they are!LOL
My DS started work yesterday and he had to stick some posters for the Book fare then take pictures of them. So he had my camera with him today...will take some pics tomorrow morning. I start work at 12:30, so will see my garden all morning!LOL
This is from 2 days ago, a cookies recipe I haven't done in ages, but it's so good!
Adina.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #7291124

Hi, EB! Love the new "shady" garden and the rock wall. Hard to believe you had a 70 degree day up there in PA this late in the season!
Celia: Isis seems to be saying to Monty: "Come on, you lazy bum--wake up and play with me!" LOL
Ric: down here it is the county or the city who really "owns" the street or the road although the property descriptions go to the middle of the street.
Kelli: thanks for the info on Greinke. Also, for the link to the poem--it's nice to know that there are still folk around who appreciate poetry! gorgeous TG cactus!
It's a good feeling to know that everything is clean and you are prepared for guests, isn't it? Enjoy your time with your MIL.

Our weather today was wonderful. Beautiful blue sky, not too hot, not too cold--couldn't ask for more. Our high was in the mid-60's.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #7291128

Adina, those cookies look wonderful!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #7291326

Partly sunny and warmer.

Will be out of town for a few days so won't be on here. Don't start a new thread while I'm gone!! LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #7291403

Adina I agree they look yummy!

Most of the streets here and everywhere else I've lived are owned and maintained by the local government. Usually in Ohio you own to the curb.
Our street and many more around here were built by the Civil Conservation Corp.
Don't know how the CCC got involved in Home Building but...
Anyway these streets were never dedicated to be cared for by the township or city.
In effect they are private drives. So we maintain them. And pay lower property taxes.
It's no ig deal usually we get a truck full of gravel and spread it every year or so.

48 and clearing.
Tomorrow we should be sunny and mid 50's.
Maybe 60 the rest of the weekend.
Now they are calling for sunny and 50 for Thanksgiving... so we will probably have snow...lol!

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 20, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #7291690

Minus 4*F now but should drop a bit more.
Clear. Patchy fog after midnight.
Lows 10 below to 20 below.
Variable wind to 10 mph
EB~gorgeous yard/garden/rock work.
ric~snow for Thanksgiving sounds pretty. Thanksgiving is usually the start of ice-fishing here. I noticed snowmachine tracks in the snow on the lake a few days ago; seemed risky to me, but they didn't end at a hole.
pepper~I know what you mean:)) It's easy to get left behind.
adina~glad you're ok; the cookies do look wonderful.
kelli~love the flowers and I'm sure your MIL will too.
marsue~the temp does sound ideal; hope it's as good tomorrow, too.
Matanuska River bed/Pioneer Peak. (about 2 miles from my
home).

Thumbnail by kiska

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2009
5:20 AM

Post #7291947

Ice fishing usually starts here at Thanksgiving also. Don't look good this year, as it is in the 50's every day & only 30 at night. Could change in a hurry though.

We got the bedroom gutted & the beams put in so it can be expanded. Tonight I drilled holes for electric & nailed on some boxes. Ceiling goes in tomorrow, hoping we have enough lumber! 80 mile round trip to get more.

Tomorrow night is the feather party for our local fire department. It is their fundraiser for the year. They sell beer & pop, have hot beef sandwiches & of course a little gambling. They play bingo to win turkeys. The reason it's called a feather party is years ago they gave away live turkeys. There were lots of turkeys raised around here then & farmers donated them. Always a big turnout.
Tickets are $2.50 & they draw 2 tickets for a 25 lb turkey. Lots of tickets are sold to people who don't come to the party.

Bernie
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #7292289

That is Peanuts giraffe toy. Prissy has learned to be easy so she doesnt destroy all the little toys in the house.

Mau - Pretty flowers! My amaryllis and daffs are confused as well. They are starting to bud.
Celia LOL at Monty and Isis!
E_B I cant wait to see your bed in the spring. I know it will be amazing.
Kelli Your TG looks great! Mine is pretty darn wimpy at this time. Congrats on the shopping being done. I still have to do mine!
Adina Yumm homemade cookies!
Kiska I love your ice molds and the pictures are just great!

57.7 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 52 F
Pressure: 30.09 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 4200 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. Areas of fog early in the morning. High 72. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

It's a gorgeous morning here. We're still a little warm for this time of year, but I'll take this over the 80's any day LOL!

geraniums are popping

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #7292520

Kiska and Bernie: ice fishing--brrrr! Reminds me of that movie--Grumpy Old Men--LOL Kiska--How do you heat your house--with a wood burning stove? I can't imagine how you manage to stay warm in the wintertime with those low, low temps that you experience. If you heat with gas or oil or whatever, your heating bills must surely be astronomical! Nice photo!
Bernie: that "feather party" sounds like fun! Enjoy!
Pepper: have a good trip!

It is already 59*F on my back porch! :o)) 20% chance of rain later today and also tomorrow. 63*F for a high tomorrow and 67*F on Sunday! looking good!

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7292641

REALLY Foggy this morning.
I couldn't see the fence when I got up and it's only 15' away from my window.
Most of the ground fog is gone now.
Hopefully it will burn off soon and we'll see those upper 50's AND the Sun!
36 here now...

kiska that's a very nice shot!

Bernie you all are really moving along!
Is Thanksgiving Dinner at your place?

Guess they could move the Ice Houses to a raft and head on out eh?

The only Ice Fishing we do down here is at the market...
Don't really see the challenge...

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #7292815

Darrell went ice fishing once. He liked it because the people owned a house right on the lake. I wish I could remember where he went.

Sharon, your geraniums are pretty!

39.6 F with 61 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 40 F
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 22 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Pressure: 30.17 in (Falling)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Harry Lauder put out tassels. I love this plant.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #7292838

Maybe he fell through the ice?

Oh you meant where did he go then... sorry...lol!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #7292865

Well...hmm...he IS gone. But I think he went to work this morning! LOL At least that's where he said he was when he called me just now.

He said they went to Sevier reservoir, which is south of us.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #7293029

LOL, Ric--that was too funny! :o))
Celia: what kind of plant is Harry Lauder--never heard of 'him'. Very neat tassels!

currntly 62*F on my backporch. I have a window open but may have to shut it because clouds are moving in. We just might get some of the 20% chance of rain that was in the forecast. :o((
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 20, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #7293050

Beautiful day today. Sunny & +10C or 50F

Here's a poster I made for a Craft/Hobby Show tomorrow. The little Garden Club decided to book a table to promote the Club. (I'm not very good at scrapbooking, but I hope the poster will be ok)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2009

Post #7293111

I love it, Joanna. Very nice.

Mau, it's Harry Lauder's Walkng Stick. Corylus avellana 'Contorta'. This is from last winter.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #7293164

And great article, Adina! Very pretty pictures and the info is interesting.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #7293171

Joanna: very nice poster--looks like you have all the necessary information plus plenty of photos there. Should attract some interest. :o))

Celia: Harry Lauder is a very interesting looking plant!

Friday is barking at the back door--his signal to me that he needs to go outside. :o))
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 20, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #7293195

0*F
Partly cloudy in the morning with patchy fog...then becoming mostly cloudy.
Highs 5 to 10 above.
Northeast wind to 15 mph.
Sunrise: 9:19
Sunset: 4:03
mySharona~the geranium bud is very pretty; it's certainly a world of difference between our locations.
joannab~that is very nice; bet it goes well.
My grandson went ice fishing a few days ago; says the ice is about 8 inches so they didn't drive on it this time. No fish this time, either.
ric/kwanjin~love the comments:)) Your wintery scene is gorgeous, too, kwanjin.
Sea glass fused along the edge of the clear glass bowl. I love satiney look.
Thanks to MySharona for sending some from Amelia Island.

Thumbnail by kiska

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #7293204

Some people have a fancier house to fish out of than they live in.
http://icecastlefishhousesmfg.com/millelacs8x16.php

We changed to electric baseboard heat last winter. Had fuel oil before, but price of oil was getting out of hand. About $350 per month with oil, electric $125. That's for coldest months, Dec, Jan, Feb.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #7293207

Kiska, what kind of fish do they fish for ?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #7293243

Bernie: only $125.00 for electrric heat? Amazing!!! this is the ice house that would go over best in my area as it can double as a deer stand---LOLOL!
http://icecastlefishhousesmfg.com/4in1.php

Kiska: very nice bowl with the sea glass around the edges. What exactly is sea glass, anyway?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #7293645

Thanks, Mau. Here is a new pic from today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #7293648

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_glass
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 20, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #7293699

Nice works, Joanna and Kiska

Updated: 12:51 PM PST on November 20, 2009
70 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 39 F
Wind: 8 mph from the SE

This is a furcraea flower stalk. It's a lot like a century plant or yucca. It is on a hill, so it isn't quite as tall as it looks. After the flowers are done, it produces a bunch of plantlets on the flower stalk. Those fall off and start new plants.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 20, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #7293705

Here are some more windshield videos from last week. The Chatsworth one (the first one) is in the general area of where I live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Hn5tGGRvI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbO9UTE1u_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxCrLPPUeAw

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #7293709

I don't even want to imagine the price of that little "shack".
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 20, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #7293730

You could put in a spectacular fish pond of your own for the price, I'm sure.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 20, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #7293781

It's been sunny today and I noticed a few turning leaves on my small cherry tree.
Thanks, Celia! beautiful picture of the Harry Lauder !
Nice work, Jackie!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #7294039

Kiska and Bernie Ice fishing does not compute LOL!
Ric Weve had a lot of late evening and early morning fog too.
Celia Thanks! I like Harry Lauder too!
Joanna You did a great job on the on the poster!
Kiska The bowl is gorgeous! I love it!
Bernie Our electric bills this past Summer were $250+. Can you say insane?
Mau sea glass is glass from broken bottles and glassware that have been in the saltwater for a long time. Due to the currents, sun, waves and the sand, the pieces of broken glass become frosty looking. The firing Kiska did removed the frosty look, but they are still beautiful pieces of glass.

I find a seaglass on our beaches. You could probably find some the next time you go to Tybee.

crystal bowl with seaglass

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #7294053

Ooops - the weather LOL!

64.0 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 57 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Patchy dense fog after midnight. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times after midnight. Low 54. North winds 5 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 21, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #7294193

I'm on a budget system for my electric. $365.00 a month. Not bad when you consider we are 100% electric here. Our wood shop, all the greenhouse fans, the house with 3 window air conditioners. Average of 4 people here most of the time. Right now we have 2, 250 watt heat bulbs on our baby chicks 24 hours a day.
NO GAS BILL!

Almost done with the framing & wiring the bedroom & office. Will start sheet rock tomorrow.

Off to the party!
Bernie
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #7294405

Good evening! Currently 59 degrees, fair and calm.
Tomorrow:
74 degrees
Humidity 84%
Wind NE 8 mph
Low 57 degrees

This is what they call "wrap & peel weather" here. Wrap up in the morning and start peeling it off midday.

If I can get this to work...this is a pic. of our house here in Brunswick. What a change after living 40+ years in a one-story rancher. Had no choice but to go up since we are so close to the marsh.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2009 8:08 PM

Thumbnail by FlipFlops

FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #7294431

Picture of my palm tree out by the well. It's little and I hope I see it tall in my lifetime LOL Planted some little citrus trees in the back. This is all so new to us. So are the fireants. Had two close encounters this summer...nastly little devils!!! I guess I will learn by my mistakes.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #7294744

One of the other named for Harry L. is the Contorted Filbert.
We've had our for many years now and it is the best winter interest tree around.

Kelli I loved the Bluegrass Drive.
For anyone interested my BIL's exit is 4:17 into the third video or about 20 seconds after it ends...
Curious why don't you use the car pool lane?

Flip that's Beautiful!!!

Love the 'Ice Houses'.
Bernie you need to start doing some of those!
Considering all the electric you have to use that IS pretty cheap Bernie.

The only winter fishing here is catfishing in the Ohio River and deeper Lakes.

Well the garage is almost cleaned up and we'll be setting the wood shop back up.
Currently I just have the table saw operating.
Everything else we're using outside and storing under tarps.
I'm planning on getting back into the birdhouse/yard art business again.

Oh yeah and we no longer have giant craters in the road.
The rain a dump truck of crushed limestone late this afternoon.
They'll roll it Monday.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #7294944

DH seems to only use the carpool lane if the other lanes are slow.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #7295067

We don't have them here so they were a novelty.
Several times we did though go by gridlocked traffic at 60 MPH.
THAT was cool!

Morning shot.

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #7295810

Adina: I just read your article on the hibs--great job and so many beautiful varieties!
Kelli: enjoyed the "touring" videos. It's always nice to view the topography and plants in different parts of the country--enjoyed the banjo pickin' and the Christmas music, too. :o))
Bernie: how was the "feather party"?
Ric: glad you and your neighbors didn't have to pay for re-filling the holes in your road.
Celia: thanks for the link on Sea Glass--I'll check it out when I finish posting here.
Sharon: thanks for your info on the sea glass, too. That bowl of sea glass is very pretty! Ice fishing doesn't compute with me, either! LOL Absolutely gorgeous orchids--especially like the one at the top of the photo. What is the name of that one?
Flip: gorgeous house--I know you are really enjoying it!

Mostly cloudy and gray around here today with 20% chance of rain--high of 62* expected this afternoon.

I need to get out and rake up some leaves that have fallen from the big oak tree in my neighbor's yard. I like it when they fall into my flower beds but a lot of them fall into the back yard, too, so I will rake them up and put them in the flower beds as winter mulch.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 21, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #7295835

Ice fishing:
Lakes or rivers freeze over. Up to 50" of ice by end of winter. About 4" of ice holds a person on foot. You venture out with an auger or chisel to make a hole in the ice. Drop your line in & hope a fish comes along.
After the ice gets thicker, people take their fish houses out to keep them cozy as they fish. Some are a mere little tent afare that they take home when they are done. Others are left out all winter.
Type in "Ice fishing" on Google. It will give you lots of information.

DW won a turkey playing bingo. She only spent $20.00 (for a 10# turkey ?)

Bernie

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 21, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #7295911

Bernie, do you have a fish house too? Congratulations for the turkey!
Flip, wow! That's a HOUSE! I love it! And the palm trees too! Congratulations!
Sharon, what beautiful colors of the sea glass and orchids!
Mau, thank you! I also have a few leaves on my lawn, but I will just use my hands!LOL
Ric, hooray for the finished road! Your morning seems so much like mine!
Kelli, love the videos, thanks!
I planted the new mums mom gave me this morning. Trica seems to love them too!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 21, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #7295923

The orange ones.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 21, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #7295926

Pink.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 21, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7295934

Fuchsia mums.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #7295956

Bernie, can't imagine 50" of ice! Many years ago when we lived in Newport New, VA; the James River froze (or at the edges) but I have never seen ice houses except in the movie "Grumpy Old Men" Did you ever see the movie and is that what you are talking about?

Sharon, Love the sea glass. Have picked up many shells but never looked for the glass. Think I will next time I'm at the beach.

Mau, this is the first year I have not had to rake leaves. They cut most of our trees down when they cleared the lot. Only thing I have left is a big old live oak, which is kind of puny but they say it will come out. I planted another live oak and plan on planting a crepe myrtle next spring. I use to enjoy a crisp day outside with the rake sometimes.

Adina, your mums are really pretty. Had some before halloween but they are long gone. Now I have planted pansies in the pots by the front porch steps. Still haven't decided what to plant around the house. Any ideas would be great!!
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #7295960

Adina, never seen a mum that color...it's beautiful.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #7296018

Beautiful Adina!
I especially like the Fushsia one.
Mulch them VERY heavily and they may survive the winter.

Foggy again this morning then Poof it was gone in minutes.

Temps have jumped from 37 to 43 in 15 minutes.
We should have 60 and Sunny today, tomorrow and Monday.
It's funny watching the Thanksgiving forecast vary.
TWC says 50 and Sunny... MyCast says 47 and rain... local stations have variations between the two.
Our 10 forecast still only has us dipping below freezing once.. and then only to 30.
We may hit Dec w/o seeing a snow flake...
I've potted up our poor Daffs...

The only real ice experience I've had was up in MI.
There were chunks as big as our car thrown up on the banks of Lake Erie after a huge storm.
Then we went to an Ice Carnival at Tawas... rides and everything out in the Bay.
We did talk to a guy when we were camping at Indiana Dunes near Gary.
We were standing on the beach looking over at Chicago.
He saw our car plates and had grown up right by me.
Years before for his first winter Lake Michigan had frozen from the Dunes to Chi.
They took snow mobiles across... and were promptly arrested by the Chicago Harbor Patrol...

Off to do some more trim work and maybe install that new door...

Giant Miscanthus
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7296081

I forgot to put in this link.
There are some cool shots!

http://www.weather.com/activities/travel/businesstraveler/slideshow/planeview.html?page=7&scheme=image-horiz-plain.css

Ric
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

November 21, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #7296511

I'm quite intrigued by the ice fishers here in Finland - the 'land of a thousand lakes'. They trudge out onto the ice with their augurs and backpacks, and try to sit as far apart as possible. Having drilled their hole they unfold and sit on their camping stool, and deploy their line. Most use a miniature fishing rod about a foot long; but some brave souls just wrap the line round a gloved hand. They sit in silence for hours. They bring to mind the old chestnut about the old countryman who spent a lot of time sitting on a gate. When asked what he did there he replied 'Times I sits and thinks. Times I just sits'.Occasionally they take a sip from a silver flask, which presumeably contains some form of light refreshment. After a few hours, regardless of whether they've caught anything, they trudge back to the shore, get into their cars without speaking to anyone, and drive away.

After a damp, grey week with temps just over freezing, today was gorgeous. Temperature of +8 C (46 F), sky absolutely clear, with a light SW breeze. Perfect for working in the garden. I raked up the last of the apple tree leaves; finished some pruning, and cut back the mint and the potentillas. Little left to do in the garden now except wait and hope for a good depth of snow cover. I'm told nine Christmases out of ten are white; but since we arrived it's only been one out of three.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 21, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #7296596

Those Finns really sound like "Grumpy Old Men".
Here there are big parties on the ice. Sit in your shanty & play cards, drink a few beers.
Some people stay out for days at a time. Cook fish & meals in their ice houses. Some houses on big lakes are worth $20,000.00. TV's, Internet, whatever, just like home.

There are fishing contests, upwards of 10,000 people on the ice in one place. Prizes are very big. Sometimes they put a tagged fish in the lake. If somebody catches it in the tournament, it's a million dollar prize.
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #7296648

Bernie, sounds like alot of fun. Here they have big parties down at Two-Way Fishing Camp on the Altamaha River. A club called the River Rats meets once a month and today they are having a big trout fishing tournament. A good river party to find a reason to drink a few beers and do the "guy thing". DH is leaving to join the fun in about 30 minutes. He's been here since April and already turned into one of the "good ole boys" LOL

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 21, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #7296774

Flip, thanks. I would like some irises, daylilies, hosta, salvia around the house. Some hardy Hibiscus in your garden would be great.
Ric, thanks for advice. They are usually hardy here...now you got me worried about them!LOL
Bernie, I was also thinking of Grumpy Old Men, very funny movie! But I'm scared of Ice,wouldn't go on a frozen lake, not even for a million $!LOL
George, weather seems to get warmer everywhere...or Christmas used to be white too, not anymore! We'll be lucky to have snow for the winter holidays or at least for Christmas.
Today was so warm, 60, sunny , no wind, like March weather!LOL
My other mums, much bigger than the others. we are calling those real chrysantemums.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #7297098

Adina: gorgeous mums! I've never seen the fuchsia colored mums before, either.
Bernie: it's hard for me to imagine living where it stays cold long enough for ice to form 50" thick! BRRRR!!!
Ric: I went to the link but only saw one photo there--it was amazing! Nice miscanthus in your photo.
Patgeorge: I enjoyed the story about the Finnish version of "Grumpy Old Men"--LOL
Flip: try this link for landscaping ideas:
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/
They have garden plans here which might give you some ideas for your own flower beds.

I did get out and rake leaves for about an hour and a half earlier today. The clouds went away and the sun came out and it was very pleasant while I was raking. Friday enjoyed being outside for that long, too. I had him staked out on his long chain and he dug in the fresh dirt in my new shade bed and chased leaves and just had a good time sniffing around in the grass. :o))
Currently 62*F on my backporch--no rain as of yet.
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #7297139

Thumbnail by FlipFlops

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #7297142

Great chrysanthemums, Adina

We went ice fishing a few times when I was a kid. There was no shelter but we wouldn't go if it was really cold and we didn't just sit there, we walked around all over the place. Never caught anything. I guess bluegills hibernate for the winter.

The wind makes it chilly if you aren't wearing a jacket (and have lived in CA for years, I suppose).

Updated: 11:51 AM PST on November 21, 2009
63 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 43 F
Wind: 6 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.93 in (Falling)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #7297144

Nice house, Flip-Flops. The raised basement make it look antebellum.
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #7297159

Sorry, sent a picture of our new little orchard but deleted the message LOL. This is my DH project and he is fasinated with the idea that we can grow citrus here. There are some really big trees in our neighborhood loaded with fruit. If you can see from the picture above, the first tree is a Ruby Red grapefruit, second is a Meyer's lemon, third is an orange tree, and the fourth (don't know if you can tell) is a tangerine tree. They have only been in the ground from less than a month.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #7297679

Grumpy ole Finnish men, ice fishing, sea glass...I love how conversations go around here. ^_^ All water based.

Ric, good to see your road has gotten it's final cat-scan.

39.9 F
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 40 F
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 20 F
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Scattered Clouds 6500 ft
Scattered Clouds 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #7297686

I forgot to say how much I like your new home, FF!!! Gorgeous!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #7297704

I forgot earlier. Time lapse of my goldfish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-4LU9ZhtVM
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #7298040

It was partly cloudy, 40F and fairly calm today.

I've been lurking, I've enjoyed all the posts and photos.

Kelli - Lotta is a scandinavian name, it's more commonly used over there than here ... it's like Lottie in english.

I got the girls a new hamster. It's a girl and they've named her Dna (pron. Doona)... could translate it as Downy as in soft as down (feathers) ;-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #7298179

Kelli your goldfish look unusually active for this time of year... ;-)

Rann good for you!
She's a beauty.

patgeo how have you adapted to the climate change there.
That's a pretty radical temperature difference from England.

Mau (and all) at the bottom of that picture there's prev and next links.
There are 25 pictures in all.

Adina Mums are definitely hardy there.
The main problem people have is they buy them late in the year, usually Fall.
Then they just plant them.
The plants usually just start putting down roots then they get frozen out.
The tender new roots just can't take the cold.
We've found it better to wait till the plants go dormant and put them in then.
Or we plant the Mums in ground IN their pots.
Then mulch heavily. Come Spring and new growth then plant them for real.
If they have the whole Summer to root they do just fine.
We hardy ever loose them now.

Flip that property just keeps looking better w/ each shot!

Well looks like Ohio State will be in Pasadena Jan 1st for the Rose Bowl.
Hmmmmm 145 dollars a seat ...we probably will watch from home.
Gold mine for Pasadena this year as they get the Championshio Game too!
Man only $290 for those seats...lol!

43 here now dropping to 36 by morning.
Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 22, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #7299662

12*F
Sunrise: 9:25
Sunset: 3:59
Isolated snow showers in the morning.
Highs in the lower to mid 20s.
North to east wind 10 to 15 mph.
rann~the new hamster is beautiful; had no idea one could be so pretty; her name sounds great, too.
kwanjin~that is one happy kitty; cute pic.
adina~the mums are gorgeous.
Marsue~raking leaves int eh middle of winter does not compute:))
patgeorge~the method of ice fishing there, is mostly how it's done here, too. We ususally park next to the hole/holes for a windbreak. Trout and Land-locked salmon are the ususal catch.
fFlop~your new home is gorgeous-the Palm is going to be so nice.
henryr10~the street is looking good and close to being finished. Bet your bird houses and yard art are very nice.
April 1st; 2003. Parked on the ice, getting ready to drill/ice fish.

Thumbnail by kiska

FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #7299724

70 degrees
Light rain/T-storms
Humidity 84%
Visibility 10 mi
Wind ENE 14 mph
High 72
Low59
Chance of Precip 85%

Thanks everyone for the compliments on our new home. Much much work to be done on the outside flower beds and it will be fun as long as I can keep away from the nasty fireants LOL My feet still have bite marks from last summer!! I look out for them now and put stuff down when I see a mound. It works pretty good.

Kiska, I can't imagine driving on ice...I have never been somewhere that cold. I think it would be fun.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #7299739

Intentionally driving on ice IS fun.
Surprise ice... not so much... lol!
We've been out on ice boats and icemobiles it's a BLAST!

Just got down from the GH.
It's Currently 53 outside.
73 in there. No heater...I'm happy!

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #7299776

55 and mostly cloudy. I hung a load of clothes on the line almost before the sun was up and they got sprinkled on twice. The weather radio didn't say anything, but mostly cloudy and a high near 60. We hung Christmas lights yesterday and I set a few ''not so Christmas'' ornaments out today.

FlipFlops, beautiful house!

Adina, gorgeous mums!

Rann, the hamster was a good idea! She's adorable!

Sorry to not comment on everything :O(

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 22, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7299923

The lake we grew up by was big. Average a mile wide, 10 miles long. Some years it would freeze very smooth with no snow on it. So you would get going 40 or 50 MPH & throw it into a spin. Round & round & round you would go.
By buddies mom's car was a 1947 Plymouth. We were doing the spin thing at night, when all of a sudden, POW! We broadsided a fish house. Good thing it was empty.

Oh, the fun of youth!

Sheetrocking today. Should be done by night. We are taking time out now to eat & watch the Vikings demolish somebody.

Bernie
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

November 22, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #7300004

Frost o/n. Day just above freezing. Started clear, but soon clouded over.

Henry10. Yes, quite a difference. However Finns visiting England all comment on how cold the houses are! The English never believe it will get cold in winter. I don't find the temperatures much of a problem, given the right clothes, well insulated houses, and cars with powerful heaters. From a gardening point of view it's the short growing season which is the problem. First air frost around the last week in August. Last about first or second week in June. The long summer day also affects plants subject to photoperiodism.

Country Gardens: In winter 'ice roads' open across some of the lakes in the east; and even heavy lorries use some of them. There are also races and time trials. I've not driven on lakes; but last winter my car did a graceful about turn on a snow covered road, and I finished up in a ditch.

Marsue, what's a lasagne bed? Reminds me of a spoof the BBC ran a few years back for April Fool's Day. They put an item in the news that an late frost in Italy had damaged the spaghetti trees; and as a consequence there would be a world-wide shortage of spaghetti. They even had pictures of young ladies harvesting the spaghetti!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2009

Post #7300074

Bernie and Patgeorge, ROTFL!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #7300523

LOL!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #7300605

me too, ROTFLOL, at you guys! :o)))))))

patgeorge: check out this link for lasagna gardening:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/terms/go/524/

You can view my lasagna bed in my garden diary
here on DG. It is the one entitled: "Hummingbird and butterfly garden along back fence"

Kiska: LOL at "raking leaves in the middle of winter does not compute!" Ha, ha. It hardly seems like the middle of winter around here because we are having and have had an unseasonably warm fall into winter. The plants around here are really confused. Today has been an absolutely gorgeous day with ample sunshine and highs in the 60'sF.
Rann: I'm so glad you were able to get the girls another hamster. I like her name, too. "Downy"--that's nice. :o))

As I said, another lovely day here. Friday and I have been outside a lot today. He played with my next-door neighbor's dog--a little pekingese--they were like two kids fighting over the same toy--a tennis ball! LOL
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #7300695

Flip Your house is gorgeous and huge! Love it!
Ric nice fog picture
Mau I cant get an id on either of the phals. Ive posted pictures several times on the orchid forum with no luck. I havent given up tho!
Adina Your mums are so pretty!
Flip I wonder if brugmansias will grow in your zone. What zone are you? I am 9a.
Celia- Monty is doing his pilates!
Rann- I love Duna, she is so pretty! Keeping you and the girls in our prayers. Sending hugs your way.
Bernie and PG LOL!!

Seems like it is going to be a warmer than normal Thanksgiving here. We've been in the upper 70's all weekend, should be in the mid to low 60's. Supposed to get rain this evening, but that isn't happening either! The rain went north and south of us. Oh well...such is life!

Sea Oats. It's illegal to pick them as they help keep the beach erosion down.

This message was edited Nov 22, 2009 6:18 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #7300824

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments ... the girls are very happy with her :-) We all agree that she's the prettiest hamster we've seen ... ;-)

Cold wind today, not sure what the temp was, probably in the 30's. Cloudy. It's also been a very mild fall here ... winter's coming next week according to the forecast.

Too depressed to comment ... seems I can't stop crying these days.

Rann

FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #7300870

Sharon, I think I am in the same zone as you. I thought about brugmansias too. There are some really big ones around here. Do you have any in your yard? Looks like we are going to have a warm Thanksgiving too. It rained today (we needed some) and the temp. actually got up to 75 when I was going to the grocery store on Hwy 17. I live right off Hwy 17 and I can see St. Simons Island when I walk over to the next street, which is on the marsh.

Here's a couple of guys that sit on the landing of my back steps that go up to the screened porch. Bet they enjoyed the rain today LOL

Thumbnail by FlipFlops

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 23, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7301208

Great pictures everyone. I sure miss the flowers and thanks all for posting pics of yours. The seed catalogs are starting to arrive so my wish list has been started.

It's been fairly nice the last few days. Today's high was +4C or 39F and the low tonight will be -4C or 25F. We have another Chinook forecasted so it may get up to +14C or 57F Wed &Thur.

Sunrise 8:04AM
Sunset 4:39PM

Daylight hours is now 8 hrs 34 min

Here's our Garden Club booth at the craft sale. We had a mix of stuff and everyone had fun.

FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7301266

Joannabanana, that's a great display. Looks like it was a lot of fun and some neat stuff!!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7301573

It's snowing!!! We got 2" in about an hour.

31.8 F
Light Snow Mist (I don't know what the heck this is.)
Windchill: 32 F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 29 F
Pressure: 30.14 in (Falling)
Visibility: 2.5 miles
Clouds: Few 500 ft
Overcast 1600 ft
(Above Ground Level)

I hope this turns out. It's Crystal baby!!! It should the head on the right, arms to the side of the head and little footies on the left. "He" was dancing when the pic was taken.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #7301681

Well OK Celia that's the first uncute baby picture I've seen...lol!
BEAUTIFUL that there is a shot though!!!
Tell Crystal we're all rooting for her/them!

Bernie you were right the Vikings surely did open a can of WhoopA.

We worked outside all day.
I trimmed back a bunch of dead plants AND...
from the base of about every perennial...there is new growth.
Blossoms on Mums, Impatients, Nicotiana...
I was raking too! lol!

Mandevillas are blooming nicely in the new GH.
All the EE's are still going strong.
Cut back ferns are all sprouting.
Hibiscus are all showing new growth after the hacking that Adina advised...lol!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #7302001

Yeah, I thought I should have posted it on the Halloween pic thread! LOL Kinda scary but cute anyway. ^_^

27.3 F with 40 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 27 F
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 22 F
Pressure: 30.40 in (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #7302075

Looks like Dave's was down for a while.

Celia that's a cold looking shot! lol!
We're still seeing temps in the 50's all week..
Maybe 60 tomorrow...
I do see a possible for freezing rain mix overnight on Thanksgiving...

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #7302088

A question...should I clean the snow off the GH?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #7302127

Well the snow load won't help it but if it's going to remain very cloudy for a while it will act as an insulator.
If more snow is forcast I'd brush it off if you think weight is a problem.
Light clouds you still get heat gain from the sun so...
Sorry I'm not more helpful...LOL!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #7302139

The sun came out as I was typing and the snow is sliding off so it's moot now. LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #7302224

Rann, dear--big hugs to you and the girls! As I said before, a divorce is the death of a marriage so it is only natural that you will experience the same type of emotions that someone experiences whose spouse has died. After all you have lost a spouse--just in a different way. Please feel free to dmail me any time you need to talk or just to vent.
Flip--if frogs can be cute, your porch frogs are cute! LOL
Joanna: did your display at the craft show attract any potential members for your garden club?
Celia: aren't the ultra-sound "photos" amazing. Your g-baby does indeed appear to be "dancing". :o)) Your snow pic looks like it could be one of Kiska's.
Ric: I'm glad it was Dave's fault and not the fault of my computer. LOL Had me scared for a while! All of my perennials are showing new growth at the bottom, too. I covered most of them with leaves when I was out raking this week-end. Yesterday I started 7 hydrangeas in my new shade garden--hope they take root and survive the winter. It was/is an experiment on my part to see what happens.

Cloudy and gray here today. Our high will be in the low 60's-getting cooler every day with a frost or maybe a freeze expected later this week. I suppose this means that our unseasonably warm weather is coming to an end. :o(( That means the heating bill will be going up next month.

Have a good day, everyone!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #7302407

DId anyone else have problems logging on to DG this morning? I will start a new thread at lunch.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #7302625

I think it was a Sever problem from the message I got when I tried to log on...

Gray and Cool here today.

Ric
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #7302694

Cool and cloudy here too. 62 degrees and suppose to get to 73. Has a way to go. I had trouple logging on to DG also.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 23, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #7302823

It had the same problem a couple days ago.

55 here & sunny. 25 above average!

A neighbor came over this morning & plowed my garden Took about 40 minutes to do what would have taken me all day or more to do.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 23, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #7303055

Warm & sunny today. Yes, we had a number of people that were interested in the garden club. Our next meeting is a social Christmas party and in January we are going to focus on seed starting. I have an excellent video from Garden Gate magazine on seed starting that we will watch.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #7303452

Monsoon - again - cold and wet.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #7303849

Pretty much the same old, just a little windier. Sure could use some rain. It looks like the grass that was starting to come up about a month ago is dead now.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on November 23, 2009
75 F
Clear
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 24 F
Wind: 15 mph from the North

We went to the Santa Barbara Zoo. MIL thought that the entrance fee of $11 was exorbitantly expensive. Obviously, she doesn't get out much.

capybara

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #7303851

I don't know what this is

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #7303858

gorilla

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7303861

macaws

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #7303947

we have moved here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1058192/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America