Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Job's Tears - A Fascinating Plant: How do you cook them?

Communities > Forums > Article: Job's Tears - A Fascinating Plant
bookmark
Forum: Article: Job's Tears - A Fascinating PlantReplies: 5, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
stellamarina
Laie, HI

November 17, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #7283031

Facinating! Never new that that we had a useful grain growing wild here in Hawaii. So now I am curious...how do you prepare and cook the seed?

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #7284134

Hi StellaM, they really are facinating! I have seeds on our potted plant now that need to be cut and taken in. I think it would be too hard to try and hull them for cooking without equipment designed for mass production. You can find packaged bags of Jobs tears relatively inexpensive in specialty markets.

Here is what I posted under my comments on another thread on how to cook them:

I like to add diced sauteed onion to our grain dishes and sometimes, depending on the grain, some chopped carrots and/or celery as well as some black pepper, hot pepper, Italian herbs and a pinch of salt. That is what I added to the Job's tears; then simmered like you would rice, with a 2 to1 ratio (2 cups grain to 1 cup water).

We all liked it. It didn't taste anything like barley. My husbands friend, who bought us the grain from a specialty market, said he uses it in soups.

It is also good mixed with brown rice, rather than all Jobs tears.

Enjoy!

Happy & Healthy Gardening and Cooking,
Diana

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #7284171

I should point out that the package in the photo above says dried pearled barley, but they are indeed Jobs tears and not pearled barley...according to our Vietnamese friends. I guess you could say they look a bit similar. Probably for marketing reasons, Jobs tears sell better marketed under the more familiar 'barley' name in Asian and other markets.
stellamarina
Laie, HI

November 18, 2009
9:32 AM

Post #7285577

Thank you Wind for your reply. Will have to go hunting for it when I am next in China town. Lots of Vietnamese stores there. I do see jobs tears growing wild near streams in Hawaii in rainy areas of the island.
stellamarina
Laie, HI

November 21, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #7294234

Hi Wind. It is me again. So yesterday somebody was cleaning out a kitchen cupboard and gave me a bag of...guess what...pearled barley! ...so now I have the stuff but have not yet cooked with it. Anyhows...I am thinking about it...I have seen in other countries an emphasis on barley drinks out of Asia that are meant to be very healthy for you but I have not got into it. I always presumed it was the barley like that which I use in my soups but now I am wondering...are all those health drinks from the pearl barley. ...aka jobs tears? This is a mind expanding trip you have started me on. Those "weed" seeds are starting to look more important. :0) aloha

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #7296595

Hi StellaM,

It is a mind expanding trip alright...what you have may be pearled barley. Was it in Asian packaging? If so, then it may indeed be the Job’s tears. It is really confusing that the grain is misleadingly sold as Chinese pearl barley in Asian supermarkets. They do look very similar. The Job's tears is more round in shape, compared to the more oval shaped barley grains.

Job’s tears (C. lacryma-jobi) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1868/ and Barley (Hordeum vulgare) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/136726/ are not of the same genus, but both are in the same family of grasses (Poaceae). Either grain would add health and nutrition benefits to your diet.

Have fun experimenting with your new find!
Aloha to you too...ahhhh wish I could be in Hawaii...lucky you to live there :-)
DW

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Job's Tears - A Fascinating Plant Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Musical seeds jjacques 3 Dec 4, 2008 2:06 PM
Thanks Fitsy 2 Dec 3, 2008 8:05 PM
Fascinating article... Sundownr 7 Dec 3, 2008 6:45 PM
Intresting Article phicks 3 Dec 4, 2008 3:40 AM
Thank you for this article 9kittymom 1 Dec 4, 2008 1:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America